It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 23-02-20, 07:27 PM   #4321
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I think of the game plays out the way it did few teams will handle England.

One of the things they don’t like is broken field play as we have shown over the last few years (one of the few things we’ve done fairly well). If it is a structured game then England just run over the top of you.

Ireland looked a bit devoid of ideas (a bit like us yesterday) with the Sexton wrap around and crash ball seeming a bit obvious. Murray and Sexton are a safe pair of hands... but... getting a bit predictable? Sexton missing his kicks was brutal also if he’d made them then the game would have been a lot tighter and more scoreboard pressure on England.

As it was they won quite comfortably.

Dull game.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-20, 08:15 PM   #4322
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post

One of the things they dont like is broken field play as we have shown over the last few years (one of the few things weve done fairly well). If it is a structured game then England just run over the top of you.

Ireland looked a bit devoid of ideas (a bit like us yesterday) with the Sexton wrap around and crash ball seeming a bit obvious. Murray and Sexton are a safe pair of hands... but... getting a bit predictable? Sexton missing his kicks was brutal also if hed made them then the game would have been a lot tighter and more scoreboard pressure on England.

As it was they won quite comfortably.

Dull game.
I think England had gears to go up and if they had to theyd have upped it. Our game plan is done now - hopefully Farrell et al can reinvent the back line because as you said it is soooooooo predictable.

Sexton commands a strong grip on the 10 shirt and it will be a brave man to drop him. Id start fresh and bin him off - the one positive is the fact we have an abundance of top young players coming through....the negative is that they are mostly Leinster
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-20, 08:19 PM   #4323
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I think England had gears to go up and if they had to theyd have upped it. Our game plan is done now - hopefully Farrell et al can reinvent the back line because as you said it is soooooooo predictable.

Sexton commands a strong grip on the 10 shirt and it will be a brave man to drop him. Id start fresh and bin him off - the one positive is the fact we have an abundance of top young players coming through....the negative is that they are mostly Leinster
Leinster are ridiculously good. The Pro 14 is a one horse race.
Old 23-02-20, 10:02 PM   #4324
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
We don’t have the physicality to match them even though they were missing the two Vunipolas. The score flattered us and we have too many players there on reputation - I’d bin Sexton, he is a fucking nightmare to listen to and when Carbury gets fit play him.

We are playing an antiquated brand of rugby and haven’t changed it up since the end of Schmidt’s reign. I expected a defeat so not that disappointed but I thought we’d put up more of a fight - we were bullied all over the pitch
Quote:

One of the things they don’t like is broken field play as we have shown over the last few years (one of the few things we’ve done fairly well). If it is a structured game then England just run over the top of you.

Ireland looked a bit devoid of ideas (a bit like us yesterday) with the Sexton wrap around and crash ball seeming a bit obvious. Murray and Sexton are a safe pair of hands... but... getting a bit predictable? Sexton missing his kicks was brutal also if he’d made them then the game would have been a lot tighter and more scoreboard pressure on England.

Was out this afternoon so watched this on record.

As Buzzo says you have to do something different against England because if you play conventional then you're probably going to lose.

Maybe not necessarily broken field because England are pretty lively with two '7' s a fairly mobile front row (leaving aside Marler) and a quick back three, but definitely something unexpected.

Ireland didn't really look up for a physical battle and just sort of spluttered when they had the ball.

That bit surprised me because they have some handy backs and a couple of good attack coaches in Farrell and Catt. Maybe Sexton's time is up, it didn't help that he started with a couple of big errors (the try and the missed kick), but it's always difficult playing behind a pack that's being dominated.

Although Ackee brings some graft and does produce gain line success he's no Tuilangi and I'd be tempted to play a more creative player there.

Whatever the issues I hope they sort them out before playing France and obviously that Buzzo's lot have a big performance saved up for that game too
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-20, 10:29 PM   #4325
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

We've got a decent recent record at home v France. But I think they will beat us comfortably.

We miss Finn. Whatever has gone on, Hastings is not ready to run the game from 10 and Finn would be well up for a game v the French. Hastings was really poor yesterday I thought.

France deserve the Slam on this form, but I reckon they will tank in the last game v Ireland.

The first 2 trys today were laughable from an Irish perspective, really poor.
Old 23-02-20, 10:42 PM   #4326
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

It has been kind of a strange tournament, because I think all of the home nations are currently left with more questions than answers.

It's just not been the best 6N's of all time. Maybe understandable after the WC and with so many coaching changes.

The atmosphere at Twickenham seemed soooo shit.

I know someone who was in Dublin for the Ire v Sco game and he said that was flat also. The Calcutta was flat because of the weather. I suppose it was a cracking atmos in Cardiff... but... just a slightly dull 6N's so far.
Old 24-02-20, 10:00 PM   #4327
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
It has been kind of a strange tournament, because I think all of the home nations are currently left with more questions than answers.

It's just not been the best 6N's of all time. Maybe understandable after the WC and with so many coaching changes.

The atmosphere at Twickenham seemed soooo shit.

I know someone who was in Dublin for the Ire v Sco game and he said that was flat also. The Calcutta was flat because of the weather. I suppose it was a cracking atmos in Cardiff... but... just a slightly dull 6N's so far.

Good point, I think that's definitely been a factor in one way or another.

I can't think back to all the games (I struggle to think back to this morning ) but the weather has definitely been a factor too, to a greater or lesser extent.

Maybe the tournament will get its' mojo back if Scotland, England and Ireland win next time out and we end up with three potential winners on the last day?
Old 26-02-20, 03:59 PM   #4328
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 26-02-20, 05:45 PM   #4329
Cormack74
Shankly

It might be about 2 years until we complete the 2020 Championship
Old 26-02-20, 05:59 PM   #4330
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Italy really aren't making a massively compelling case for their continued participation in the 6N's.
Old 01-03-20, 05:15 PM   #4331
Irishnev
Shankly

Old 01-03-20, 05:20 PM   #4332
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Amazing reading of the game and execution.

We’ll not being seeing that for Scotland this 6Ns as it has been decided he will sit it out and come back for the summer tour. There have been positive talks but what a failure of management this has been.

We absolutely lack that sort of vision and ability.
Old 01-03-20, 06:20 PM   #4333
Cormack74
Shankly

Watched Jack Carty playing for Connacht today v Southern Kings (poor red card decision against Connacht BTW).

SK aren't great but he looked handy Nev. Where does he sit in the Irish 10's pecking order?
Old 01-03-20, 09:52 PM   #4334
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Watched Jack Carty playing for Connacht today v Southern Kings (poor red card decision against Connacht BTW).

SK aren't great but he looked handy Nev. Where does he sit in the Irish 10's pecking order?
Sexton is no 1 - for me he should never had been made captain as he is 34 and his best days are long behind him

Carbury is no 2 but he is always injured......has the potential to be a fine player

Carthy was 3 but fell out of form so is a little behind Ross Byrne who is the backup Leinster 10

The real bolter is Jack Crowley the u-20 outhalf from Munster and seems to be the heir apparent to ROG.....massive prospect along with a bunch of others coming through

Old 02-03-20, 09:07 PM   #4335
Cormack74
Shankly

Hmm so nowhere near an International call then

I don't watch much if any of the Pro 14 these days but I thought he looked handy yesterday, invariably picking the right option - not always easy when 3/4 of the game is played a man short.
Old 02-03-20, 11:33 PM   #4336
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Hmm so nowhere near an International call then

I don't watch much if any of the Pro 14 these days but I thought he looked handy yesterday, invariably picking the right option - not always easy when 3/4 of the game is played a man short.
He played in the WC and did ok with his time but his club form regressed - I see Carbury is out for the season now so he might get opportunities internationally if we ever resume
Old 07-03-20, 10:07 PM   #4337
Cormack74
Shankly

So England take the triple crown

Over to Buzzo and friends to de-rail the froggies.
Old 08-03-20, 12:33 AM   #4338
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

We've got a decent recent home record v the French, but this is such a new team for them.

Not confident.
Old 08-03-20, 12:59 PM   #4339
Cormack74
Shankly

Listening to some analysis earlier along the lines that the French haven't had to come from behind in any game they've played this year which is an entirely different dynamic to playing with a lead.

So a fast start please GT

Is it proper Scottish weather up there today? Hopefully that will give them something different to think about too
Old 08-03-20, 01:15 PM   #4340
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Listening to some analysis earlier along the lines that the French haven't had to come from behind in any game they've played this year which is an entirely different dynamic to playing with a lead.

So a fast start please GT

Is it proper Scottish weather up there today? Hopefully that will give them something different to think about too
Its a nice day. To be honest the bad weather used to be a bonus for us, but not so much anymore.

Its nicely set up today, a confident French team... but we have seen what has happened to confident French teams before.

Its just Finn Russell. We look bereft of ideas without him and imagine how up for this Russell would have been.
Old 08-03-20, 01:39 PM   #4341
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Its a nice day. To be honest the bad weather used to be a bonus for us, but not so much anymore.
Maybe it's going to be an open game then. Scotland to edge an eleven try thriller
Old 08-03-20, 03:21 PM   #4342
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Maybe it's going to be an open game then. Scotland to edge an eleven try thriller
Ill be happy if Scotland edge anything results wise.

At the ground, queuing for a beer.

Its windy.
Old 08-03-20, 04:01 PM   #4343
Cormack74
Shankly

Scotland's kit looks like they're off to play a T20 straight after this match
Old 08-03-20, 04:13 PM   #4344
Cormack74
Shankly

Interesting call.

The ref was going penalty only until Barnes got involved. He loves to out give sanctions and he's probably also getting the french back for cheating a couple of years ago in the 'Propgate' match.

You owe us one Buzzo
Old 08-03-20, 04:35 PM   #4345
Cormack74
Shankly

Ref consistently failing to spot French players swinging round the side and entering from the side at rucks
Old 08-03-20, 04:46 PM   #4346
ChesterDave
Paisley

100% red surely?
Old 08-03-20, 04:50 PM   #4347
Cormack74
Shankly

Yeah Barnes is loving this telling the ref he has no option but to send the bloke off
Old 08-03-20, 04:51 PM   #4348
Cormack74
Shankly

I wonder if this was a Scottish plan - to rile the French the way England used to until the point that they lose their cool.
Old 08-03-20, 07:50 PM   #4349
Cormack74
Shankly

Good Scottish win. The way they played, I think they would have won even if it had been 15 v 15.

Hastings stepped up today and I finally realized who his face reminds me of. Not sure why it's taken me so long. Step forward fellow 10 England's George Ford.

Distant cousins - I have no doubt.
Old 08-03-20, 07:59 PM   #4350
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah, even with a thunderous Marseilles, it felt like we were up for this in a truly horrific at kit.

France got lucky with first yellow, looked a red all day long to me.

We outmuscled them early on and really they only played with any fluency late in the game.

Great win built on a platform of hard work and industry from Watson, Gilchrist and a phenomenal Jamie Richie.

Great win. Need to back it up next week.
Old 08-03-20, 10:08 PM   #4351
Cormack74
Shankly

I thought the ref was bang average. Some of that was Northern Hemisphere expectations from a Southern Hemisphere ref but some of it was just poor decision making and missing obvious stuff.

Without dear Wayne chipping in there might not have been a card in the match
Old 08-03-20, 10:20 PM   #4352
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He seemed to misread everything. Watching it back and home seemed clueless around the big flash points.

I thought we were well worth our win, the team looked very focused which is not something you’d ever say about a Scotland team.

Penny for Finn Russell’s thoughts, I’ve been a batch critic of Adam Hastings, but he was great today.

I wonder when this 6Ns will ever get finished?
Old 08-03-20, 10:30 PM   #4353
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:

I wonder when this 6Ns will ever get finished?
I can see the remaining fixtures being played as part of the Autumn series of games to be honest.
Old 09-03-20, 02:49 PM   #4354
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Wales v Scotland the only game to survive.

Old 12-03-20, 05:51 PM   #4355
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Pro 14 suspended.

Old 12-03-20, 11:04 PM   #4356
Cormack74
Shankly

dupe

Last edited by Cormack74; 12-03-20 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-03-20, 11:06 PM   #4357
Cormack74
Shankly

Marler banned for 10 weeks for fondling A W-J.

Seems a bit harsh really when the sentencing regime (which sets sentencing guidelines) is designed to deal with serious foul play rather than people messing about. (Not that I'm condoning him doing it mind).
Old 13-03-20, 07:45 AM   #4358
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Marler banned for 10 weeks for fondling A W-J.

Seems a bit harsh really when the sentencing regime (which sets sentencing guidelines) is designed to deal with serious foul play rather than people messing about. (Not that I'm condoning him doing it mind).
Whilst I agree it is a little harsh, it is inappropriate. It's really not funny... at all. As Will Greenwood said on SSN earlier in the week, many people wouldn't be amused if that happened to their son on the pitch, so it sets a standard to eradicate it at any level.

A bit different, but my dad thought it was hilarious when I got into a punch up with a balding 35 year old on a football pitch when I was around 16.
Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote

est1892 > General > General Sports