It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 04-07-07, 01:58 AM   #1
-V-
Paisley

Freddy Adu

Remember him?

Scored a very very fine hatrick tonight in the Fifa u20 world cup. Think alot of clubs over here started thinking he wasn't all that he was cracked up to be.

Well based on tonights performance i tell you this lad has got something. Check it out if you can
-V- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 04-07-07, 02:04 AM   #2
El Jefecito
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by -V- View Post
Remember him?

Scored a very very fine hatrick tonight in the Fifa u20 world cup. Think alot of clubs over here started thinking he wasn't all that he was cracked up to be.

Well based on tonights performance i tell you this lad has got something. Check it out if you can
Had a trial and was deemed not good enough. Not good enough for us then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-07, 02:05 AM   #3
-V-
Paisley

Watching brazil now. The highly rated Pato has just scored his 2nd. Good poacher
Old 04-07-07, 02:07 AM   #4
El Jefecito
Shankly

Quote:
Watching brazil now. The highly rated Pato has just scored his 2nd. Good poacher
Watch Aguero in the Argentina u20 match. He's been pretty awesome. 2 goals and 2 assists so far.
Old 04-07-07, 02:07 AM   #5
-V-
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyG View Post
Had a trial and was deemed not good enough. Not good enough for us then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe he was just nervous. He's not highly rated for no reason. Looked really really good
Old 04-07-07, 02:08 AM   #6
El Jefecito
Shankly

Quote:
Maybe he was just nervous. He's not highly rated for no reason. Looked really really good
He was highly rated a couple of years ago. Not so much now.
Old 04-07-07, 02:20 AM   #7
-V-
Paisley

Well thats the point of this thread. My point being that in the US he still is. His hatrick tonight shows he has talent. You understand?
Old 04-07-07, 02:24 AM   #8
El Jefecito
Shankly

Quote:
Well thats the point of this thread. My point being that in the US he still is. His hatrick tonight shows he has talent. You understand?
I understand. The point I'm making is that his performances in the (inferior) MLS have caused teams like manure to overlook him. A one-off hat-trick isn't going to fix that. You understand?
Old 04-07-07, 02:29 AM   #9
-V-
Paisley

Lol. Every player goes through good and bad spells. He's very young, skillful and and showing some excellent finishing. Couple of crackers tonight. Capable of matching Aguero and Pato etc
Old 04-07-07, 02:56 AM   #10
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

Quote:
Remember him?
Nope
"A weak currency is the sign of a weak economy,which is the sign of a weak government"
Red Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 05:05 AM   #11
Joe Le Toff
Dalglish

Possibly the most overrated, over-hyped player in the game today.
Except for Lampard perhaps.
Old 04-07-07, 05:28 AM   #12
BrooklynRed
Dalglish

I have watched Freddy Adu as a club professional at DC United (and now Real Salt Lake) and as a U-20 for the USA for years, and despite whatever he did tonight, he is too small and too lightweight to even consider. Add to that long stretches where he goes missing, his complete lack of tackling in the midfield, and his lack of competitive fire and I think he's vastly overrated. Do I want him capped in a FIFA sanctioned international for the USA? Yes, as I think its insurance against his eventual growth and his potential. Do I think he's ready to make an impact anywhere? NO.
Old 04-07-07, 08:35 AM   #13
red g
Paisley

isnt he about 5yrs older than alleged?
red g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 08:44 AM   #14
Abdul Alhazred
Fagan

He's the new Tonton Zola Moukoko

Walking a lonely road one night, Nasruddin saw riders approaching. His imagination ran riot: he saw himself robbed or killed, so he climbed a wall into a graveyard and hid. Puzzled at his behaviour, the riders, who were followers of the Mullah, followed. Finding him cowering behind a grave, they asked "Great Sage, why are you hiding here?". "It's more complicated than you think" he replied, "I'm here because of you - and you're here because of me"
Abdul Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 09:04 AM   #15
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRed View Post
I have watched Freddy Adu as a club professional at DC United (and now Real Salt Lake) and as a U-20 for the USA for years, and despite whatever he did tonight, he is too small and too lightweight to even consider. Add to that long stretches where he goes missing, his complete lack of tackling in the midfield, and his lack of competitive fire and I think he's vastly overrated. Do I want him capped in a FIFA sanctioned international for the USA? Yes, as I think its insurance against his eventual growth and his potential. Do I think he's ready to make an impact anywhere? NO.
Do you think he would benefit from playing in a more competetive league? I'm thinking of him going somewhere like Newcastle rather than a top team.
Old 04-07-07, 09:29 AM   #16
Resu
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww View Post
Do you think he would benefit from playing in a more competetive league? I'm thinking of him going somewhere like Newcastle rather than a top team.
If he`s small and ligthweight I would have thought Spain or Portugal would suit him better.
Old 04-07-07, 09:34 AM   #17
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resu View Post
If he`s small and ligthweight I would have thought Spain or Portugal would suit him better.
Probably, I was using them as an example of size of club (honestly couldn't pull an analogy from Spain out, I guess the Portugese league would all be at that sort of lower level).

I was kind of thinking that like players such as Beckham who when he first emerged was every lightweight an experience European/English manager would have a player like him bulk up a bit if he was otherwise good enough. What I was most interested in was his supposed lack of fire and whether this comes from an absence of challenge or if he was just a born waster.
Old 04-07-07, 09:41 AM   #18
NICKZS
Fagan

Don't like him, and always remember him being interviewed saying that it was a "toss-up between Man U and Chelsea" for where he'd be going, as if he had his pick. And look at him now.
NICKZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 09:53 AM   #19
fah-q
Touching cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
isnt he about 5yrs older than alleged?
I heard that too
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 10:29 AM   #20
dirty_sanchez
Dalglish

Adu was really hyped from an early age and that can go either way. For every Robbie Fowler, there's a Cherno Samba. Some players are just good for their age and never develop.

Also, because of his talent at a young age, he was overly hyped because America really really wants a world class player. They did it with Landon Donovan, and now they are doing it with him.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 04-07-07, 10:37 AM   #21
simey85
Benitez

heard some mls expert on the radio last week saying he is an above average mls player and has struggled to live up to the hype.
Old 04-07-07, 01:10 PM   #22
bazza76
Paisley

much Addu about nothing really.

"Sorry, boss, I should have kept my legs together," said Lawrence. "No, Tommy, your mother should have kept her legs together!," replied Shankly.

* After Tommy Lawrence had let in a fluke goal between his legs
bazza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 04:25 PM   #23
BrooklynRed
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww View Post
I do think he will end up abroad and I think he will be found out. He's 5'7" and very lightweight. If he saw Michael Essien coming in for a tackle he might shit himself.

As for his Chelsea or Man U, I look at that the same way as a European basketball player enamored with Michael Jordan and Shaq saying "I want to play for the Lakers or the Bulls"; Club loyalty among professionals in the USA non-existent, so I'm sure he's just a kid who knows the brand names and the players and nothing about loyalty and club professionalism. He's already on his second club here in the US. He does the same with the national team, stating how he can't decide if he wants to play for US or for Ghana... Not my favorite kid.

Anyway. My hopes are on Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley for the USA from the U-20's; Adu? Not so much.
Old 04-07-07, 04:35 PM   #24
tommyg
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRed View Post
If he saw Michael Essien coming in for a tackle he might shit himself.
hjahahahahahaha
Old 06-07-07, 08:02 PM   #25
Sydney Vicious
Account closed by request

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gYYJ-jJEQ7U

Quite funny this one. Choke! Choke!
Sydney Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 08:07 PM   #26
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza76 View Post
much Addu about nothing really.
Oh dear. Well, guess it was inevitable someone couldn’t resist.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 08:09 PM   #27
Sydney Vicious

Quote:
Remember him?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vEoaoL5uEtM

6 mins of highlights. USA beating Poland 6-1 :whatever:

Adu's goals are 1m 36s, 2m 45s & 5m 13s. Polish defence was a shambles, not surprising Adu looked good. He aint world class.
Old 06-07-07, 09:18 PM   #28
Ron_Mexico
Fagan

adu is the most overrated shite going

he can't even hold down a place in an MLS team

he hasn't made any impact on the national team

look at what other similar 'prodigies' where doing at the same age

he's simply a media and advertising creation to drum up some interest in the sport and to deliver a messiah to US sawker. it's similar to Lebron James in bball the only difference being James has the potential to be that good

i remember the interview he did where he seemed to be mulling over a move to man u or chelsea as if it was up to him
Ron_Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 10:59 AM   #29
-V-
Paisley

I watched the USA beat Brazil 2-1 last night. Adu set up both goals, played superb again.

You lot talk pish, this guy is talented
Old 07-07-07, 11:53 AM   #30
MrMichael
The Pun Police

Its his third u20 world cup, he should be getting pretty good by now.

Seriously though -V-, Adu is a semi decent decent player, if he's 20.... which he isn't.... but has nowhere near the physique to make it at the moment. EVERY American pundit or observer I've ever heard or read agrees that Adu, so far has not lived up to his hype. Whatsoever.

Until he is capable of staring in the weak MLS he can not be said to be up to much.
And I must face the men I slew.
What tale shall serve me here among
Mine angry and defrauded young?
MrMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 11:55 AM   #31
paulcooper4
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMichael View Post
Its his third u20 world cup, he should be getting pretty good by now.

Seriously though -V-, Adu is a semi decent decent player, if he's 20.... which he isn't.... but has nowhere near the physique to make it at the moment. EVERY American pundit or observer I've ever heard or read agrees that Adu, so far has not lived up to his hype. Whatsoever.

Until he is capable of staring in the weak MLS he can not be said to be up to much.
leave the new posters alone fella
paulcooper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 11:59 AM   #32
-V-
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcooper4 View Post
leave the new posters alone fella
Me? Im not new! Just dont have time to post much
Old 07-07-07, 12:00 PM   #33
paulcooper4
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Me? Im not new! Just dont have time to post much
fuck off then yer ungrateful twat
paulcooper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 12:35 PM   #34
-V-
Paisley

Old 07-07-07, 10:59 PM   #35
Sydney Vicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcooper4 View Post
fuck off then yer ungrateful twat
That sympathy ran out quick
Old 08-07-07, 01:13 AM   #36
Ron_Mexico
Fagan

Quote:
I watched the USA beat Brazil 2-1 last night. Adu set up both goals, played superb again.

You lot talk pish, this guy is talented
'set up both goals'

you mean the second where he had a shot deflected right to a teammate? from the lampard school of assists that was

i enjoyed all his diving and acting like a spoiled child
Ron_Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 01:24 AM   #37
Revo
High5 Dude!

in all fairness he hasnt cracked on from his young potential and has struggled with the burden. i saw him the other night and he did look decent and could probably use a challenge away from the MLS. He is nowhere near the standard of a prem player yet and i dont see the overachiever attitude from him to get there.

est1892 > Football > General Football