It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 24-10-07, 11:42 AM   #1
-V-
Paisley

Scotland are nearly there...........

Scots close in on England ranking (1 more year )

Scotland are on the verge of overtaking England after rising to their highest position in the Fifa world rankings.

Despite their 2-0 loss in Georgia, the Scots have moved from 14th to 13th - two places behind England, who fell to 11th from ninth after losing to Russia.

The top nine teams will be seeded for the 2010 World Cup qualifying rounds.

Argentina head the rankings, Brazil are second, Italy third, the managerless Republic of Ireland are 32nd, Northern Ireland 36th and Wales 58th.

If Scotland maintain their current position, they will qualify for the second group of seeds, a significant improvement from their Euro 2008 campaign, where they were among the fourth-ranked teams.

Their position could improve further if the Scots beat world champions Italy in their final Euro 2008 qualifier on 17 November, a match they must win to reach the finals next year.

England's hopes of finishing in the top nine have been severely dented following their defeat in Moscow.

The battle for qualification from Group E is now out of England's hands.

Croatia need only one point from their remaining two games to qualify. Russia will qualify if they win their remaining two games, while England, who play Croatia at Wembley in their last game, need Russia to slip up.

Meanwhile, the Republic's failure to qualify for the tournament in Austria and Switzerland led to the Football Association of Ireland terminating the contract of manager Steve Staunton by mutual consent.

-V- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 24-10-07, 11:55 AM   #2
El Diego
Dalglish

Bring On Italy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think it's a foul, and if the ref gives it. He got to give a penalty. I know it's outside the box, but you see them given that close to the area. So if the ref gives it he's got to give the penalty as it so close to the area. But I think it's a penalty. Robbie Savage 8/11/06

Are you watching Manchester United? Are you watching Chelsea? This is Liverpool F.C taking over the bloody world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
El Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 11:57 AM   #3
Dalglish
Cary Grant

It was only a matter of time

I already have my Italy tickets lined up
Dalglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 12:08 PM   #4
Gordy Boy
Benitez

Presumably when Scotland get humped by Italy next month that ranking will drop again?
Old 24-10-07, 12:11 PM   #5
Dalglish
Cary Grant

It will fall but probably just as much as England's when they dont qualify
Old 24-10-07, 12:13 PM   #6
Kaip
Something different

Just shows how bad england are
Old 24-10-07, 12:13 PM   #7
Gordy Boy
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalglish View Post
It will fall but probably just as much as England's when they dont qualify

I was wondering who'd be the first to come back with that.
Old 24-10-07, 12:16 PM   #8
Dalglish
Cary Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Boy View Post

I was wondering who'd be the first to come back with that.

Old 24-10-07, 01:07 PM   #9
Parm
Skipinder

fairplay to Scotland for pulling themselves around.

"Who's your Daddy now?"

LFC Champions one season someday
Jurgen Klopp is just boss
Semi retired poster
twitter: @parmsahota
insta:@parm78
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 02:50 PM   #10
Craig_H
Football's all about the kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -V- View Post
Scots close in on England ranking (1 more year )

Scotland are on the verge of overtaking England after rising to their highest position in the Fifa world rankings.

Despite their 2-0 loss in Georgia, the Scots have moved from 14th to 13th - two places behind England, who fell to 11th from ninth after losing to Russia.

The top nine teams will be seeded for the 2010 World Cup qualifying rounds.

Argentina head the rankings, Brazil are second, Italy third, the managerless Republic of Ireland are 32nd, Northern Ireland 36th and Wales 58th.

If Scotland maintain their current position, they will qualify for the second group of seeds, a significant improvement from their Euro 2008 campaign, where they were among the fourth-ranked teams.

Their position could improve further if the Scots beat world champions Italy in their final Euro 2008 qualifier on 17 November, a match they must win to reach the finals next year.

England's hopes of finishing in the top nine have been severely dented following their defeat in Moscow.

The battle for qualification from Group E is now out of England's hands.

Croatia need only one point from their remaining two games to qualify. Russia will qualify if they win their remaining two games, while England, who play Croatia at Wembley in their last game, need Russia to slip up.

Meanwhile, the Republic's failure to qualify for the tournament in Austria and Switzerland led to the Football Association of Ireland terminating the contract of manager Steve Staunton by mutual consent.

See, you jocks do yourselves little or no favours with silliness of this sort

I said the other week that i hope Scotland do well, qualifier and that hopefully a higher seeding for the WCQ campaign helps them establish a long term situation whereby they can be qualifying more regularly than not.

Then you come along and make me wonder if i DO want scotland to do well!

Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 03:08 PM   #11
cobain
Mr Superstrong

I hope the Scots go through ... It's a shame that they lost against Georgia, but I do think they can beat Italy ... After all, we've (Slovenija) beat Italy 1-0 two or three years ago and they played their strongest team.
Torres Fan Club Member #2, Lucas Leiva Fan Club Member #1

going limp; HARRRRRRRRRRRR
cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 03:11 PM   #12
-V-
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
See, you jocks do yourselves little or no favours with silliness of this sort

I said the other week that i hope Scotland do well, qualifier and that hopefully a higher seeding for the WCQ campaign helps them establish a long term situation whereby they can be qualifying more regularly than not.

Then you come along and make me wonder if i DO want scotland to do well!

And you think we care whether you back us or not?
-V- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 03:17 PM   #13
Craig_H
Football's all about the kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -V- View Post
And you think we care whether you back us or not?
How ironic that the arrogance that you lot often accuse the english of, should rear it's head...
Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 03:42 PM   #14
Jimthered
Benitez

ahhh I remember the last world cup Scotland played in with such fond memories, I was able to take the piss out of Scottish people for years afterwards , and let us not forget the "we're all part of Ally's army " .

The these wonderful quotes ..

Quote:
Amid the euphoria, extravagant promises were made, and unhealthy expectations fostered among the fans. MacLeod was certainly not blameless in this, announcing that, even if Scotland didn't win the World Cup, they would certainly come home “with a medal” and, when asked what he would do after the World Cup, his reply was “Retain it.” Behind the scenes things were falling apart as well, as the players got involved in an unseemly row over bonus payments, although it was to transpire that they wouldn't have to worry too much about those.
To be fair to Scotland though, they did have a tough group, with footballing powerhouses such as Peru and Iran.
Old 24-10-07, 03:44 PM   #15
Jimthered
Benitez

Quote:
Old 24-10-07, 03:55 PM   #16
El Diego
Dalglish

Quote:
How ironic that the arrogance that you lot often accuse the english of, should rear it's head...
The way I see it The Welsh, Scottish, Irish don't care if England want them to do well and don't mention it. The English expect the whole UK to want them to do well. Which has just been shown by DJS
I think it's a foul, and if the ref gives it. He got to give a penalty. I know it's outside the box, but you see them given that close to the area. So if the ref gives it he's got to give the penalty as it so close to the area. But I think it's a penalty. Robbie Savage 8/11/06

Are you watching Manchester United? Are you watching Chelsea? This is Liverpool F.C taking over the bloody world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24-10-07, 03:57 PM   #17
El Diego
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimthered View Post
ahhh I remember the last world cup Scotland played in with such fond memories, I was able to take the piss out of Scottish people for years afterwards , and let us not forget the "we're all part of Ally's army " .

The these wonderful quotes ..

To be fair to Scotland though, they did have a tough group, with footballing powerhouses such as Peru and Iran.
Why is this always bought up? England do this every major comp they play in a look like tossers. Scotland did it once, and fair play they had a good team then.

Old 24-10-07, 03:58 PM   #18
Dalglish
Cary Grant

Dont let those facts get in the way of the hilarious debate El D.
Old 24-10-07, 03:59 PM   #19
Jimthered
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diego View Post
Why is this always bought up? England do this every major comp they play in a look like tossers. Scotland did it once, and fair play they had a good team then.
With one or two exceptions our campaigns are a little different, by the good grace of a miracle we actually won it once, granted since then the WC for the England is a trip to the quarter finals .
Old 24-10-07, 04:01 PM   #20
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

Scotland deserve it, they haven't competed beyond the first round in a competition yet but their recent results mean they deserve to be up there.

Still think these lists are pretty meaningless.
"A weak currency is the sign of a weak economy,which is the sign of a weak government"
Red Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 24-10-07, 04:02 PM   #21
El Diego
Dalglish

You won the world cup before it the world cup meaned anything.

Old 24-10-07, 04:03 PM   #22
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

Quote:
Sounds like an AFII statement.

I was trying to be gracious to Scotland, if you want me to mercilessly rip your country's footballing pedigree apart keep going
"A weak currency is the sign of a weak economy,which is the sign of a weak government"
Old 24-10-07, 04:05 PM   #23
Jimthered
Benitez

Quote:
What ???
Old 24-10-07, 04:06 PM   #24
Dalglish
Cary Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chilli View Post
Scotland deserve it, they haven't competed beyond the first round in a competition yet but their recent results mean they deserve to be up there.

Still think these lists are pretty meaningless.
Old 24-10-07, 04:06 PM   #25
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimthered View Post
What ???
I know, not one of his finest moments. Maybe later, when he looks back at that statement he'll realise how I'm a little teapoted it sounds.
Old 24-10-07, 04:07 PM   #26
El Diego
Dalglish

Quote:
Sounds like an AFII statement.

I was trying to be gracious to Scotland, if you want me to mercilessly rip your country's footballing pedigree apart keep going
I would like to see England qualify for anything, if they had to pick a squad out of half of London!!!!

Old 24-10-07, 04:10 PM   #27
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

Quote:
I would like to see England qualify for anything, if they had to pick a squad out of half of London!!!!
I don't know what your point is. I was congratulating Scotland on their recent results. I was making 2 points, these lists are meaningless and Scotland have to learn how to transfer their qualifying results to the tournament. Which one of these points do you disagree with?
So should we delete all Brazil's world cup triumphs from the record books because they have a big population?
How many world cups have China or India won?
Old 24-10-07, 04:11 PM   #28
El Diego
Dalglish

Quote:
I know, not one of his finest moments. Maybe later, when he looks back at that statement he'll realise how I'm a little teapoted it sounds.

If you look at the standard of players then and now there is no camparison. Back then the defenders kicked lumps out of the attackers and lumped it up to the strikers or the wingers. There were a few amazing players from then like Pele, Beckenbauer, Eusabio, Moore and a few more that I forgot the rest if they played like that now would be in league 1 or championship.

Old 24-10-07, 04:13 PM   #29
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

Quote:
If you look at the standard of players then and now there is no camparison. Back then the defenders kicked lumps out of the attackers and lumped it up to the strikers or the wingers. There were a few amazing players from then like Pele, Beckenbauer, Eusabio, Moore and a few more that I forgot the rest if they played like that now would be in league 1 or championship.
You've just outdone yourself.

Nothing I could put forward to counter that idiotic post will make you look more foolish than you just have.
Old 24-10-07, 04:14 PM   #30
Jimthered
Benitez

This thread is just like a Scottish WC campaign, starts off with all the big talk and then slowly disintegrates.
Old 24-10-07, 04:15 PM   #31
El Diego
Dalglish

Quote:
I don't know what your point is. I was congratulating Scotland on their recent results. I was making 2 points, these lists are meaningless and Scotland have to learn how to transfer their qualifying results to the tournament. Which one of these points do you disagree with?
So should we delete all Brazil's world cup triumphs from the record books because they have a big population?
How many world cups have China or India won?
I wasn't saying they should delete any world cup triumphs because of how big the country is. I was refering to you threatening to rip the piss out of Scotland's football history.

Old 24-10-07, 04:15 PM   #32
johnp
Has you on Ignore

Quote:
johnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 04:16 PM   #33
El Diego
Dalglish

Quote:
You've just outdone yourself.

Nothing I could put forward to counter that idiotic post will make you look more foolish than you just have.

I know that I am right as you can't counter my arguement I except your apology

Old 24-10-07, 04:17 PM   #34
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

Quote:
I wasn't saying they should delete any world cup triumphs because of how big the country is. I was refering to you threatening to rip the piss out of Scotland's football history.
That was because you weren't happy with me congratulating Scotland, so I thought you might like it if I started mentioning things like Costa Rica.
Old 24-10-07, 04:18 PM   #35
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

Quote:
I know that I am right as you can't counter my arguement I except your apology
OK, I'll give you a chance to top your recent effort.

Tell me, El Diego, when did world cups start meaning something?
Old 24-10-07, 04:23 PM   #36
El Diego
Dalglish

Quote:
That was because you weren't happy with me congratulating Scotland, so I thought you might like it if I started mentioning things like Costa Rica.
You weren't congratulating Scotland you were trying to have a sly dig at them as Scotland are on a football high and England on a low. Scotland probably aren't going to make it to Switzerland this summer but let us have a moment of happiness before we come crashing down against Italy. Personally I think the world cup started to be taken seriously 70-74. How many times of you heard of the world cup of 62, none the rest of the world don't care about 66 as football wasn't as big then as it is now.

Old 24-10-07, 04:29 PM   #37
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

Quote:
You weren't congratulating Scotland you were trying to have a sly dig at them as Scotland are on a football high and England on a low. Scotland probably aren't going to make it to Switzerland this summer but let us have a moment of happiness before we come crashing down against Italy. Personally I think the world cup started to be taken seriously 70-74. How many times of you heard of the world cup of 62, none the rest of the world don't care about 66 as football wasn't as big then as it is now.

So in 66 the world cup was meaningless because the players then were of league 1 standard now, but in 1970 (4 years later) when Pele, Beckenbauer and Moore were still the dominant players, suddenly it meant something.

Football wasn't as big in 1982 as it is now, does that make the world cup of 82 meaningless too?

At least when Scotland were humiliated by Costa Rica it meant something in those days eh?

I think your posts demonstrate how young and naive you really are
Old 24-10-07, 04:34 PM   #38
El Diego
Dalglish

This is the thing with the English when any other home nation is doing well they like to have there sly little digs. Expecially when they are shit at the moment, if you want to talk about being humiliated lets talk about the qualifiers and tournos from 78,82,92,94,98,00,02,04,06 and 08 ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Old 24-10-07, 04:36 PM   #39
Jimthered
Benitez

Quote:
Actually your argument does have some logic to it, back in those days Scotland did actually qualify for the WC a couple of times.

'Nuff said.
Old 24-10-07, 04:37 PM   #40
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

Quote:
This is the thing with the English when any other home nation is doing well they like to have there sly little digs. Expecially when they are shit at the moment, if you want to talk about being humiliated lets talk about the qualifiers and tournos from 78,82,92,94,98,00,02,04,06 and 08 ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
OK, talk away. When did Scotland get further than England? The only one I can think of is 78.

At the end of the day Diego, if you can't take it when some one says "Scotland deserve it" then that's your problem, not mine.

You have made yourself look like a complete idiot with your posts about the past, it's the type of thing I'd expect a 14 year old to come out with

est1892 > Football > General Football