It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 12-03-21, 11:11 AM   #201
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboklopp View Post
Aye we had fewer injuries and Lovren too. Heís not suited to how we want to play in ideal circumstances, but he definitely should have been given more chance earlier in our far from ideal ones!
I agree.

When everyone is fit though, I think he will still be useful in certain scenarios. Let's say we are a goal or two up against a dogshit Sam Allardyce or Sean Dyche team.......then surely he will be a good option to throw on to help shore up the defence and see the game out.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 12-03-21, 11:28 AM   #202
npinn001
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
I agree.

When everyone is fit though, I think he will still be useful in certain scenarios. Let's say we are a goal or two up against a dogshit Sam Allardyce or Sean Dyche team.......then surely he will be a good option to throw on to help shore up the defence and see the game out.
I agree, the guy could do a job for sure. I think i read though (and it may be bollocks) that he was on a relatively high wedge and that could be an issue for renewing his contract (c£70/80/90k p/w).

On the flip side I doubt we would get an English CB (for the quota) for less than that and without a stupid fee, so keeping him makes sense in a lot of ways.
npinn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 12:44 PM   #203
RedAndWhite
Dalglish

He has proven to be reliable. Not spectacular or world class but reliable. Which ticks alot of boxes for a 5th/6th choice CB. And by the end of the season he will have a lot omore miles under his belt. The question then becomes would he be happy as a backup to the backups getting the odd game here and there or would he fancy a move down the league for more playing time.
RedAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 12:56 PM   #204
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Is this one of those cases whereby through chance and luck an unexpected opportunity has arisen and he's literally taken the bull by the horns and is playing above his level. If the confidence continues to grow he may carve out a decent career that but for the injury crisis may never of presented itself. I hope so. I like stories like this. So many players that are good honest pro's fall by the wayside these days as the chances to get a break in the team rarely come along. I don't think carragher would get a look in these days as he wasn't blessed with skills like a Gerrard. Attacking players will naturally get more opportunities as their ability stands out more.
Old 12-03-21, 01:08 PM   #205
red g
Paisley

I was shocked to read we are paying him 70k a week, that can't be correct or did Rick Parry come in for a day when Michael Edwards had a sickie

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 01:11 PM   #206
SB
Paisley

Can’t believe he’d be on a penny more than ~£30k
Old 12-03-21, 01:20 PM   #207
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

If he has 'literally taken the bull by the horns', as Bob suggests it may explain why all the other defenders have been getting injured?
Old 12-03-21, 01:48 PM   #208
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 12-03-21, 01:56 PM   #209
Fivex
The Wisp

Old 12-03-21, 02:18 PM   #210
frank the tank
Shankly

no fuckin way is he on 70k per week.

If so, then people like Gini should be getting the 200k or whatever he wants......
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 02:45 PM   #211
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Think it is just media/online crap that says he is on that much.

Not a hope a guy with so little playing time prior to the past few months is earning anything close to that.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 03:42 PM   #212
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
I was shocked to read we are paying him 70k a week, that can't be correct or did Rick Parry come in for a day when Michael Edwards had a sickie
No way, more likely to be £7k a week
Old 12-03-21, 03:52 PM   #213
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
No way, more likely to be £7k a week

Just looked at one of the so called "confirmed" wage lists for the 2019/20 season and Phillips is listed as being on 70k a week for last season.

TAA is listed as being on 60k a week, Gomez is on 70k a week, Milner is on 75k a week and so on

Not a hope that a ressie like Phillips is or was on the same wages as first team regulars.
Old 12-03-21, 04:07 PM   #214
S-RED
Dalglish

hahaha not a fucking chance, 4.5k according to this

https://footballleaguefc.com/liverpo...-player-wages/
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 04:09 PM   #215
S-RED
Dalglish

Dupe
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 04:22 PM   #216
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post
hahaha not a fucking chance, 4.5k according to this

https://footballleaguefc.com/liverpo...-player-wages/

4.5k sounds closer to reality.
Old 12-03-21, 04:34 PM   #217
Fivex
The Wisp

Feel for him if he's smashing it on £4.5k when the likes of Tsimikas is getting 7x that for doing fuck all. I'm sure that's not what he's thinking about though.
Old 12-03-21, 04:35 PM   #218
Fivex
The Wisp

Ojo is on 32k? Wtffff
Old 12-03-21, 10:16 PM   #219
vlahka
Still sulking...

Why are we saying he'd be great as a 4th/5th choice defender? I dont see why he cant be third, or even paired up with VVD at times. I'm tired of midfielders being put into our defenders spots when he can do just as well as they can if not better. Gomez is always broken and Kabak is still getting used to things but seems to be fine. Other than those two thats about it. I dont want to see Rhys taking Philip's spot anymore. Hes far too slow to be of any use to us in the long term.
vlahka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 10:24 PM   #220
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

I had him down as marginally our second best player after Fabinho the other night in what was his CL debut in the last 16. I think he is performing way better than he is getting credit for. I'd happily play him against anyone. Obviously not 1st or 2nd choice but a keeper for me.

YNWA
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 10:50 PM   #221
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Ed View Post
I had him down as marginally our second best player after Fabinho the other night in what was his CL debut in the last 16. I think he is performing way better than he is getting credit for. I'd happily play him against anyone. Obviously not 1st or 2nd choice but a keeper for me.

YNWA
Totally agree. The jury is still out whether weíll keep Kabak next season but I suspect we will. Who knows if Joe will ever be the same player after his injuries , Joel is made of glass & unreliable & hereís hoping Virg comes back as good as he was prior to injury but thereís no guarantee that he will straight away.
Old 12-03-21, 11:00 PM   #222
Scratch
If you fail once....

He'd be great alongside VVD against teams with a big target man, but not so great against teams with pacey frontmen...if he's happy to stay, on low wages, then I don't mind seeing him as 4th or 4th choice.
Old 12-03-21, 11:17 PM   #223
baitman
Daddy day care

How the doubters have flipped

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 11:49 PM   #224
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Looking at that Matip, Ox, Shaq, Origi and Keita really need to up their game to find any sort of value for money.
Old 12-03-21, 11:50 PM   #225
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
Thankfully, I don't think I've ever bad mouthed him
Old 13-03-21, 12:07 AM   #226
Fivex
The Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
He'd be great alongside VVD against teams with a big target man, but not so great against teams with pacey frontmen...if he's happy to stay, on low wages, then I don't mind seeing him as 4th or 4th choice.

Have you considered he might be better suited to being 4th choice instead?
Old 13-03-21, 12:50 AM   #227
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:

Nope I still think he is doing well atm but that he is having a run of good games rather than being a good player of the level we need.

Would not be upset if he stays at the club but for me it would have to be as a 5th or 6th choice CB.

I think he could do very well at a Championship club that does not play a high line or at a PL club like Burnley, but I do not think he is good enough to be coming into our first team on a regular basis next season.

Be delighted if in a years time he is having a really good season helping us towards number 20 and this post comes back to haunt me, but I do not see that happening.
Old 13-03-21, 08:46 AM   #228
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Nope I still think he is doing well atm but that he is having a run of good games rather than being a good player of the level we need.

Would not be upset if he stays at the club but for me it would have to be as a 5th or 6th choice CB.

I think he could do very well at a Championship club that does not play a high line or at a PL club like Burnley, but I do not think he is good enough to be coming into our first team on a regular basis next season.

Be delighted if in a years time he is having a really good season helping us towards number 20 and this post comes back to haunt me, but I do not see that happening.
Our game is based on a high line and the ability to either carry the ball (Gomez/Matip) out from the back or hit long cross field diagonals (VVD) to evade when we are pressed. Phillips is doing great but I saw some interesting stats vs RBL

He won the same amount of aerial duels as Mane (2) - he did make clearances

He lost the ball 34% of the time which is huge for a CB where pass completion is high 80s

This is where we need to be ruthless as a club and it has bitten us in the past. Nat is a great lad, honest, stick his head where you wouldnít put your boot type of player but our team doesnít need that. Both Matip and VVD win far more headers than him and they do all the stuff he canít do with pace and technical ability. We need to buy a CB like them and let them fight fir the right to play with VVD

We will never get more for Phillips than this summer (even in a depressed market) - he need to capitalize on that and let him play in a side that suits his abilities and where heíll be first choice
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-21, 08:57 AM   #229
baitman
Daddy day care

Nev, even if it would be the best time to maximise any return on Nat you have to balance that with the lack of availability and durability of our other defence options.

Im not saying he is a worldie, just that he is half decent and committed, his stock is higher than matip, gomez and half of our midfield as he is bulletproof.

To sell him would mean bringing in at least 2 30m+ defenders as we cannot be sure Gomez will ever be truely fixed or if there is too much humidity for Joel Biscuits to risk it.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
Old 13-03-21, 09:56 AM   #230
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Nev, even if it would be the best time to maximise any return on Nat you have to balance that with the lack of availability and durability of our other defence options.

Im not saying he is a worldie, just that he is half decent and committed, his stock is higher than matip, gomez and half of our midfield as he is bulletproof.

To sell him would mean bringing in at least 2 30m+ defenders as we cannot be sure Gomez will ever be truely fixed or if there is too much humidity for Joel Biscuits to risk it.
I get that Baitman - if we are broke then keeping him as a 4th CB makes sense and play him where his skills are most suited. Iíd sell Matip as well and buy 2 CBs in an ideal world but I guess that wonít happen.

I donít want to come across as being totally disparaging to Nat because I love his attitude and am delighted with his recent performances. We just went down this road with Divock and didnít sell him when we could have maximised our return.
Old 13-03-21, 10:13 AM   #231
Exiled_red
Paisley

Now everyone is bigging him up he's going to go to shit isn't he
Old 13-03-21, 10:30 AM   #232
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Standard
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-21, 09:07 PM   #233
Irishnev
Shankly

Old 13-03-21, 11:42 PM   #234
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I get that Baitman - if we are broke then keeping him as a 4th CB makes sense and play him where his skills are most suited. Iíd sell Matip as well and buy 2 CBs in an ideal world but I guess that wonít happen.

I donít want to come across as being totally disparaging to Nat because I love his attitude and am delighted with his recent performances. We just went down this road with Divock and didnít sell him when we could have maximised our return.
Divock has had many chances to finally show be has the balls and the results are in

I think Nat is a good option that we already have, if we had paid 20m for him we'd be thinking we had a bargain.
So for me he is a guaranteed starter unless vvd and matip/gomez are fully fit (if ever) and ready to go.

Old 14-03-21, 12:25 PM   #235
Zapater
Dalglish

I'm in the minority, but I just don't see it. Seems like a great lad, but I think his performances are mediocre at best. Doesn't seem that dominating to me and his over reliance on his right foot is clear. He's playing because we have no one else and he'll be exposed over time. With a fit squad, doubt he'd get much of a look in and I don't expect to see too much of him in the future.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-21, 01:53 PM   #236
Paul12
Benitez

He's brought back the Carragher hoof.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-21, 07:06 PM   #237
Charly
Dalglish

He is a solid unit, and seems a better defender than Kabak and Williams.Seems to win things in the air too, which is a dying art amongst defenders.

I guess we have the rest of the season to see. But he has yet to drop a Lovren style bollock.

He may not want to stay as 4th/5th choice.
Old 15-03-21, 01:52 PM   #238
Angryred
Dalglish

give that guy a proper contract & he will stay, loves LFC!
Old 15-03-21, 04:17 PM   #239
Scratch
If you fail once....

I think he will want first team football tho, he doesn't strike me as the type to sit idly by and earn a paycheck, he'd rather be playing every week, even if it limits his chance of a trophy-laden career. Man just wants to head balls for a living.
Old 15-03-21, 05:00 PM   #240
ronanm
Shankly

I hope they don't ban heading

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC