It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 04-02-21, 10:59 PM   #3641
ChesterDave
Paisley

T20 Blast fixtures out tomorrow
Old 05-02-21, 08:59 AM   #3642
Yozza
Shankly

England 104-2

Weird being live on C4

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-21, 10:08 AM   #3643
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Sibley absolutely shutting me up, love to see it.
Old 05-02-21, 10:36 AM   #3644
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Sibley absolutely shutting me up, love to see it.
167-2

Going very well

Old 05-02-21, 11:33 AM   #3645
Yozza
Shankly

100 up for Roooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!

Old 05-02-21, 12:05 PM   #3646
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Sibley 85 not out off 26,000 balls.
Old 05-02-21, 12:24 PM   #3647
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Fucking hell, Sibley gone last over.
Old 05-02-21, 12:25 PM   #3648
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Sibley 85 not out off 26,000 balls.
You jinxed him!

Old 05-02-21, 11:12 PM   #3649
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Tempted to get up at 4 although I resent doing that on a Saturday morning ffs
Old 06-02-21, 12:01 AM   #3650
Scratch
If you fail once....

Given i flipped onto C4 just in time for the final over of the day, and we lost a wicket within 2 balls of me viewing, i think I'll avoid watching it live cos I'm obviously a jinx.
Old 06-02-21, 11:35 AM   #3651
Irishnev
Shankly

Great innings from Root and England going well, I have a great anecdote about Chennai and cricket which I’m surprised I never told here.

Back in 2004/2005 I backpacked in India, Nepal and a brief trip to Tibet for the best for of a year. I was in Goa with a buddy of mine from Uni and we watched the first test of the 2004 India/Aus test match in a beach bar. We were planning to leave Goa to trek across the country so we decided we’d go to Chennai to watch the second test.

We got to Chennai 2 days before the game and the day before we rocked up to the pitch to buy tickets for the test match. After getting the tickets we walked around the ground and some kid called us and showed us a ‘hole’ in the fence. Being two absolute Irish chancers in we went into the grounds........and approached the pitch. Two soldiers were guarding the entrance so we smiled at them and strolled in.

Both teams were in nets at opposite ends of the pitch - remember this was the great Aus team in their pomp - Langner, Hayden, Ponting, Katich, Clarke, Martyn, Gilchrist, Warne, McGrath, Gillespie etc. India had Sachin, Laxman, Dravid, Ganguly, Kumble, Sewhag, Harbijhan etc. We went to the Aussie end and sat on the grass - we were throwing the ball back and we did the same in India end. My mate was fielding when Sachin was batting......it was mental.

We then realised we had no cameras so we left the ground, rickshaw to the hotel, grabbed cameras and rucksacks and back to the ground. Same way in and back to the pitch - the teams were winding up and there was a lot of security as Sachin was leaving. We walked over to crease started patting the pitch ‘inspecting it’ some Aussie journalist walked over to us and we started chatting. I said it looked like a 4 day wicket where the spinners would dominate - absolute spoofing - he concurred

We then walked into the stadium and into the press conference - sat down for a listen, not brave enough to ask a question. Walked out some back door later as the Aussies were getting on the bus - took some pics with the players and walked out the gate behind the bus where there must have been 1000 people outside.

In those days (not that long ago) a brass neck and being a “westerner” meant you could get away with a lot. Nobody checked our bag, asked who we were or what we were doing. Nuts but a great memory.

We used to take a rickshaw to pizza hut at lunch during the test and sit eating pizza for the afternoon
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 10:01 PM   #3652
Liverpool
Paisley

Chennai is mental place. Before covid was planning on a week in Goa then go to this test to meet up with people.

Was the pizza hut in a shopping mall?
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 08:16 AM   #3653
RichC
Meh

I was living in Chennai when that test was played, the Aussies were on the lash every night of that test in fort St George (bar in the Taj) where they stayed. Darren Lehman in what looked like the same red Nike T-shirt and shorts with a can of fosters glued to his hand ! (They had something like 150 cases of it and left 13 behind) All on the beers bar Brett Lee who was on the Chardonnay. All good guys and approachable, only one I didn’t see was Warne. Indian test side were in the same hotel as well but didn’t see anything of them at all.
MCC famous for a draw and unsurprisingly it was !
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 08:19 AM   #3654
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
Chennai is mental place. Before covid was planning on a week in Goa then go to this test to meet up with people.

Was the pizza hut in a shopping mall?
It was in some mall - it was over 15 years ago and I remember my time in India being a complete haze
Old 07-02-21, 08:21 AM   #3655
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
I was living in Chennai when that test was played, the Aussies were on the lash every night of that test in fort St George (bar in the Taj) where they stayed. Darren Lehman in what looked like the same red Nike T-shirt and shorts with a can of fosters glued to his hand ! (They had something like 150 cases of it and left 13 behind) All on the beers bar Brett Lee who was on the Chardonnay. All good guys and approachable, only one I didn’t see was Warne. Indian test side were in the same hotel as well but didn’t see anything of them at all.
MCC famous for a draw and unsurprisingly it was !
If I’d have known I’d have looked you up - looked at the teams earlier. No Ponting and Lehman played instead
Old 07-02-21, 10:16 PM   #3656
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Great innings from Root and England going well, I have a great anecdote about Chennai and cricket which I’m surprised I never told here.

Back in 2004/2005 I backpacked in India, Nepal and a brief trip to Tibet for the best for of a year. I was in Goa with a buddy of mine from Uni and we watched the first test of the 2004 India/Aus test match in a beach bar. We were planning to leave Goa to trek across the country so we decided we’d go to Chennai to watch the second test.

We got to Chennai 2 days before the game and the day before we rocked up to the pitch to buy tickets for the test match. After getting the tickets we walked around the ground and some kid called us and showed us a ‘hole’ in the fence. Being two absolute Irish chancers in we went into the grounds........and approached the pitch. Two soldiers were guarding the entrance so we smiled at them and strolled in.

Both teams were in nets at opposite ends of the pitch - remember this was the great Aus team in their pomp - Langner, Hayden, Ponting, Katich, Clarke, Martyn, Gilchrist, Warne, McGrath, Gillespie etc. India had Sachin, Laxman, Dravid, Ganguly, Kumble, Sewhag, Harbijhan etc. We went to the Aussie end and sat on the grass - we were throwing the ball back and we did the same in India end. My mate was fielding when Sachin was batting......it was mental.

We then realised we had no cameras so we left the ground, rickshaw to the hotel, grabbed cameras and rucksacks and back to the ground. Same way in and back to the pitch - the teams were winding up and there was a lot of security as Sachin was leaving. We walked over to crease started patting the pitch ‘inspecting it’ some Aussie journalist walked over to us and we started chatting. I said it looked like a 4 day wicket where the spinners would dominate - absolute spoofing - he concurred

We then walked into the stadium and into the press conference - sat down for a listen, not brave enough to ask a question. Walked out some back door later as the Aussies were getting on the bus - took some pics with the players and walked out the gate behind the bus where there must have been 1000 people outside.

In those days (not that long ago) a brass neck and being a “westerner” meant you could get away with a lot. Nobody checked our bag, asked who we were or what we were doing. Nuts but a great memory.

We used to take a rickshaw to pizza hut at lunch during the test and sit eating pizza for the afternoon

Brilliant..!!

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 11:32 AM   #3657
Yozza
Shankly

England 178 AO

Lead of 419... there'll be a few overs this evening & all day tomorrow

WTF didn't we declare earlier?

Old 08-02-21, 11:34 AM   #3658
RichC
Meh

Mental that we didn't declare earlier, I think there's more than a good chance of this ending up as a draw.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 11:37 AM   #3659
spud_gun
Paisley

West Indies chased down 395 in the 4th inning against Bangladesh.

Myers (on debut) scored 210

That's some 4th inning performance
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 01:49 PM   #3660
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Mental that we didn't declare earlier, I think there's more than a good chance of this ending up as a draw.
Especially with India time wasting again - they been getting tips off Mourinho?!

Old 08-02-21, 03:18 PM   #3661
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post

Great story man
Old 09-02-21, 09:04 AM   #3662
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 09-02-21, 09:51 AM   #3663
Yozza
Shankly

Brilliant

Old 09-02-21, 12:13 PM   #3664
spud_gun
Paisley

Bowling Jimmy, bowling
Old 13-02-21, 11:52 AM   #3665
Yozza
Shankly

Third umpire has fucked us over twice

Old 13-02-21, 11:53 AM   #3666
Scratch
If you fail once....

VAR screws us in all walks of life!
Old 13-02-21, 11:59 AM   #3667
Yozza
Shankly

& why didn’t Kohli walk? You’ve been bowled out clean so take a hike pal....

Old 13-02-21, 04:07 PM   #3668
ChesterDave
Paisley

Not been watching but it sounds like the umpires had to show a replay on the screen before he would leave the pitch. Should take a review off them for that. Very poor sportsmanship not to walk when you've been bowled.
Old 14-02-21, 04:42 PM   #3669
destinydude
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza View Post
& why didn’t Kohli walk? You’ve been bowled out clean so take a hike pal....
Very bizarre tbh. Never seen anything like it and I'm an Indian. It's one thing to be left in disbelief but not leaving is poor.
Old 15-02-21, 12:13 PM   #3670
Yozza
Shankly

Got to say the state of the wicket on day three is a disgrace - you'd have thought it was day 5

Edit - nice to see Aggers agreeing with me

India v England: 'You may as well play on a beach - Chennai pitch not good enough for Test cricket'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56061842

Old 15-02-21, 12:35 PM   #3671
spud_gun
Paisley

Ashwin didn't seem to have many issues batting on that wicket today.
Old 15-02-21, 01:05 PM   #3672
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Ashwin didn't seem to have many issues batting on that wicket today.
Still a terrible surface - just shows how well he batted

Old 16-02-21, 05:29 AM   #3673
Zapater
Dalglish

Haven't been watching, but is Dan Lawrence any good? Had a look at his first class record and it's pretty ordinary, surely there are better players on the county scene? Is he just a great technician who is better than his numbers? I haven't really seen him and seems a strange selection on paper.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-21, 02:54 PM   #3674
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Haven't been watching, but is Dan Lawrence any good? Had a look at his first class record and it's pretty ordinary, surely there are better players on the county scene? Is he just a great technician who is better than his numbers? I haven't really seen him and seems a strange selection on paper.
He's definitely better than what he's shown so far

Looks like Moeen has had enough of life in the bubble... can't say I blame him

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56082356

All-rounder Moeen Ali has chosen to miss England's final two Tests of the tour of India.

He returned match figures of 8-226 in the 317-run defeat in the second Test in Chennai, his first Test since August 2019.

The 33-year-old contracted coronavirus on the tour of Sri Lanka in January and spent 14 days in isolation.

"Moeen has chosen to go home. It's come to a point where he wants to get out of the bubble," said captain Joe Root.

"This tour has been really difficult for him, dealing with Covid and being in his room for such a long period of time.

"We said at the start if players feel like they need to get out of the bubble that would be an option, and it's important we stand by that."

'He wants to be at home with his family'

Moeen took a break from Test cricket in 2019 and struggled to regain his place before being recalled for the 2-0 series win in Sri Lanka.

He took 4-128 and 4-98 in the second Test against India, and his tally of 49 runs - including 43 off 18 balls as England's defeat was confirmed on the fourth afternoon - was more than any other England player.

"It wasn't about us asking Moeen if he wanted to stay. It was a decision that he chose," said Root.

"We want as many of the players to be available for as long as possible, but we also want them to be comfortable here.

"He feel he wants to be at home with his family and we completely respect that."

Old 16-02-21, 08:33 PM   #3675
Deano
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza View Post
Got to say the state of the wicket on day three is a disgrace - you'd have thought it was day 5

Edit - nice to see Aggers agreeing with me

India v England: 'You may as well play on a beach - Chennai pitch not good enough for Test cricket'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56061842
Pitch was dreadful - That said Ashwin played it beautifully.

Obviously it favored the homeside, but that happens in every series, but, it was/is a beach to play on - you want tests to last 4-5 days not 3 and a bit with such a favorable advantage.

Not sure why Stokes didn't bowl tho ?

The third test with the pink ball should play into the seamers, will be interesting if England go with Archer/Anserson/Broad as the seamers with Leech as the spin option ?
Old 16-02-21, 08:35 PM   #3676
Deano
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
India is such a awful start to a test scarer as he will not have seen the kind of pitches in the UK or AUS. Given India are vert strong in spin its a helluva a start for him IMO
Old 16-02-21, 11:44 PM   #3677
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
India is such a awful start to a test scarer as he will not have seen the kind of pitches in the UK or AUS. Given India are vert strong in spin its a helluva a start for him IMO
Wasn't meaning his test record, it's stupid to judge a player after a handful of appearances. I was referring to his domestic record, averages in the mid 30s which doesn't suggest he's uprooting trees at county level. Labuschagne also had a pretty unremarkable first class record and has been a revelation at test level, so sometimes it's more about the player than the numbers.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-21, 12:32 PM   #3678
Yozza
Shankly

Not really followed this before but I'll be watching quite a few games this year... Live on SKY

Pakistan Super League 2021: Who to watch and how it works

The Pakistan Super League begins on Saturday when defending champions Karachi Kings face Quetta Gladiators.

Six teams - packed with Pakistan players and overseas stars - will play a total of 34 Twenty20 games in just over a month as they aim to reach the final on 22 March.

All matches will be played in bio-secure bubbles, with the first 20 fixtures taking place at Karachi's National Stadium and the remaining group games, play-offs and final at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore.

Both venues have been given permission to open their stadiums at 20% capacity, meaning 7,500 fans will be able to attend in Karachi and 5,500 in Lahore.

Meet the teams - and star players

Babar Azam, the Pakistan captain and last season's leading run-scorer in the PSL, will lead Karachi Kings, who also have experienced Australia all-rounder and serial T20 winner Dan Christian and Afghanistan all-rounder Mohammad Nabi in their ranks.

South Africa batsman Faf du Plessis - recently retired from Test cricket - joins West Indies star Chris Gayle and England's Tom Banton at Quetta Gladiators.

Afghanistan leg-spinner Rashid Khan, the top-ranked T20 bowler in the world, will line up for last year's runners-up Lahore Qalanders alongside Pakistan seamer Shaheen Afridi and England batsmen Joe Denly and Somerset's Tom Abell.

England opener Alex Hales, the leading scorer at this season's Big Bash League in Australia, will play for Islamabad United alongside England all-rounder Lewis Gregory and Sussex opener Phil Salt.

Peshawar Zalmi have opted for a combination of youth and experience, with exciting 19-year-old Afghanistan off-spinner Mujeeb Ur Rahman joining 40-year-old Pakistan all-rounder Shoaib Malik in the side. England seamer Saqib Mahmood and all-rounder Ravi Bopara are also in the Peshawar squad.

Former Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi, 43, is still plying his trade in franchise cricket and will feature for a Multan Sultans side that also contains England batsman James Vince and Australia's Chris Lynn.

What is the format?

Franchises will play each other twice in the group stage, with the top four qualifying for the knockout matches.

The top two sides will play in qualifier one for a spot in the final, while the teams who finished third and fourth will play in an eliminator, with the losers being knocked out of the tournament.

The losing side from qualifier one and winning team from the eliminator will have the opportunity to make it through the final when they meet in qualifier two.

Edit - nice to see David Gower back in cricket

Last edited by Yozza; 19-02-21 at 12:38 PM.
Old 24-02-21, 09:23 AM   #3679
Yozza
Shankly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56165699

Motera: The world's largest cricket stadium to host India-England Test

Last edited by Yozza; 24-02-21 at 09:26 AM.
Old 24-02-21, 09:24 AM   #3680
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Looking forward to this! 9am start!

est1892 > General > General Sports