It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 14-02-21, 07:05 PM   #4721
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
And so to part 2.

As a neutral Sco v Wal was really enjoyable. I do find it a little weird though that 2 teams who looked so bereft of attacking ability in the Autumn both now look so potent.

Ali P actually did ok this week (not sure if it's just the 'one swallow' thing but anyway ) and his chip through for the try was a clever piece of play.

Scotland seem much more at home with their game plan and at times their phases were as good as you'll see. Even after ZF's sending off they looked like a top rugby team with belief in what they were doing and how they were doing it. Not sure if that's all come from the one game against England or a general evolution and backed up by guys like Hogg and Gray playing for a top team now?

The sending off was obviously pivotal or at least appeared to be although the penalty at the very end could have gone either way. At least it appeared that way. A camera angle from the other side would have been far more useful in determining it.

The sending off was a bit 50:50 although on balance probably the right call if the IRB want to be consistent in the message they send out. It certainly ticked the the Law 9.20 rule boxes as a sending off offence.

I've always though ZF is a bit prone to entering rucks recklessly and there was just no point to what he did - even if he hadn't connected with WJ. I agree Karl Dickson did offer a word of caution (a bit ironic for anyone who has ever seen Karl Dickson referee ) but what probably didn't help the cause was the fact that Jones fell back clutching his head.

Anyhow it makes the 6N more interesting (I know that won't make you feel any happier Buzzo), they'll just need to go and get a result in France which I think they're actually capable of if they stick to what they've done well so far.
Yeah, that is pretty fair also. We were good,, Wales stayed in the game. The try before half time for them was massive.

The sending off changed the game, I think we would have won without it, and came very close anyway. I felt it was a bit harsh. Jones lifted his head just as Fagerson hit, which made it look worse. I think the thing that worked against Fagerson was how far he came in from, but I must admit it looked like a yellow to me. If these are going to get given as reds, we will start to see a lot more reds given, or a fundamental change to clear outs and rucks (which is I suppose the intention).

If that was a red, then Darcy Graham was taken out in the air by 1/2p and Williams was lucky with some leading elbows.

Scotland wise, I think we are seeing an evolution. The realisation after the World Cup was that we cant just play teams off the pitch throwing the ball around. Our kicking has improved immesurably, meaning we are playing with the ball in the right areas. We do have more strength indepth, but you could see the gaps yesterday. Jamie Ritchie was a big miss the step down from him to Blade Thomson was massive, then he went off and Gary Graham came on with top billing and gave away continual pens. I wonder what has happened to Sam Skinner? He can fill in on the back row. Our line out was exceptional against England and was back to mediocre yesterday.

We look so powerful though, and I hope we can keep this level of focus and control. It was a sore defeat, mainly because we played really well. Hogg is playing as well as he ever has, and the forwards are giving the backs good ball (Price was great!) Russell is playing smart Rugby and his kicking game is immense.

It should be a good game vs the French. Just watching the game vs Ireland and it was very scruffy in the last 20. A lot off effort going in though. France look great, but, there will be opportunities. And, are they an 80 minute team?

Could be similar to Twickenham and the lack of crowd could help us. Dupont is immense though, I love watching him play.

Crowdfund

Vlog

Last edited by Buzzo; 14-02-21 at 07:07 PM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-21, 07:26 PM   #4722
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Not sure if that's all come from the one game against England or a general evolution and backed up by guys like Hogg and Gray playing for a top team now?
No doubt this has been huge. Both players have improved from a pretty impressive starting point.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 14-02-21, 10:48 PM   #4723
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
. If these are going to get given as reds, we will start to see a lot more reds given, or a fundamental change to clear outs and rucks (which is I suppose the intention).

Well I think that's basically it - certainly when they came back from lockdown at the end of last season in the Premiership the refereeing of the ruck was far more stringent. It's become a little bit more lax as the weeks have passed but sending offs for that type of offence are not uncommon.

Leaving aside that I've seen ZF enter rucks a bit too keenly in the past, I think given the analysis that International sides do these days, it would have been naive by GT etc not to have spoken to the Scottish players about ruck safety / refereeing in the build up. Anyone who's watched a few Prem' games would have made the same point that I've just done.

Gary Graham came on with top billing and gave away continual pens. I wonder what has happened to Sam Skinner? He can fill in on the back row. Our line out was exceptional against England and was back to mediocre yesterday.

GG was excellent for about half a season a couple of years back when England also got interested IIRC but broadly he's pretty average IMO. I'm not too sad he opted for Scotland Personally I'd go for SS every time. Never flamboyant but always 7 or 8 out of 10 and solid.

It should be a good game vs the French. Just watching the game vs Ireland and it was very scruffy in the last 20. A lot off effort going in though. France look great, but, there will be opportunities. And, are they an 80 minute team?

Got to move their bigs lads around IMO. Defensively they're good but equally you know exactly how they will defend under Sean Edwards. I didn't think Ireland had spent enough time thinking about their attack lines today and they let France defend out to in exactly the way they wanted to

Could be similar to Twickenham and the lack of crowd could help us. Dupont is immense though, I love watching him play.
Agreed SDF empty is a lot different to full I should imagine. There may not have been an opportunity like this for quite a long time - if ever. Scotland just need to remember what they are good at and not get flustered when France do something outrageous which they no doubt will at some point.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-21, 09:11 PM   #4724
Cormack74
Shankly

I read this yesterday then forgot about it

But I've popped down here because I thought you would have been all over it Mr Buzzworth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56092322

Scotland prop Zander Fagerson will miss the rest of the Six Nations following his red card against Wales.

Fagerson was punished for a dangerous clearout after his shoulder connected with Wyn Jones' head at the breakdown and has been banned for four weeks.

Scotland lost 25-24, having led by two points when he was sent off.

The 25-year-old - likely to be in coach Warren Gatland's thoughts for the British and Irish Lions - misses games against France, Ireland and Italy.

An independent disciplinary committee deemed the foul play warranted a mid-range entry point - a six-week suspension - but reduced that by two weeks to account for mitigating factors, including his admission of foul play and a good disciplinary record.

Fagerson has the right to appeal.
Old 17-02-21, 09:26 PM   #4725
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I saw that. It’s a tough one, but in the spirit of the new law I guess he can have no complaints. I think it was soft, but he ran in from so far away he gave the ref a decision to make. If he’s stopped or made more of an effort to wrap his arm he might have gotten away with it. We can’t all be immune to red cards like Owen Farrell.

I listened to the Rugby Pod with Jim Hamilton and Andy Goode and they covered all aspects of the six n’s including this really well. They also covered how unfortunate Italy were with decisions (Farrell, the fact Daly’s try shouldn’t have stood etc). It’s a good listen.

You should check it out

https://play.acast.com/s/therugbypod...ammit-noparty-

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 19-02-21, 09:01 PM   #4726
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Bad news for the French.

Quote:
France scrum-half Antoine Dupont has tested positive for Covid-19, just over a week before the Six Nations meeting with Scotland in Paris.

Dupont, Six Nations player of the year in 2020, missed the wins over Italy and Ireland with a hamstring problem.

The French Rugby Federation announced his positive test on Friday, with 11 other players testing negative.

All members of the 31-man squad have been tested, with the other results not yet known.

Head coach Fabien Galthie and assistant William Servat tested positive earlier this week and have been isolating.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56128918

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 19-02-21, 09:30 PM   #4727
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
And good news for the Scots

Just need him to have infected a couple of others . .
Old 19-02-21, 10:43 PM   #4728
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
And good news for the Scots

Just need him to have infected a couple of others . .
Big time!

Heís a phenomenal player. Shame to not see him play though, and they will still have quality no matter how many injuries. - heíll be back in time for all the other games!

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 22-02-21, 09:40 PM   #4729
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Looks like the game is in doubt on Sunday with the amount of players with Covid.

However if it is rearranged we will be without Finn, Hogg, Gray, Harris etc. etc. because we only have release clauses with the non Scottish Clubs for the designated weekends.

A shit show.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 25-02-21, 04:22 PM   #4730
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

France v Scotland postponed due to Covid outbreak in the French squad.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 27-02-21, 06:21 PM   #4731
ChesterDave
Paisley

Shit ref display here
Old 27-02-21, 06:22 PM   #4732
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

How ridiculously lucky are Wales this year?

2 incredibly dodgy try’s.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 27-02-21, 06:23 PM   #4733
ChesterDave
Paisley

Seems the phrase unlucky or harsh has been used a lot this match and every time the decision has been in Wales favour.
Old 27-02-21, 06:32 PM   #4734
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Really scrappy poor quality match so far.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 27-02-21, 06:35 PM   #4735
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Actually England playing the first decent Rugby last 5 mins.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 27-02-21, 06:41 PM   #4736
ChesterDave
Paisley

I don't get that comment in the half time analysis. Surely then you can push the ball forward to enable you to kick it if that doesn't qualify as a knock on
Old 27-02-21, 06:43 PM   #4737
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

That first try is an absolute shocker. The ref is almost colluding with the Welsh.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 27-02-21, 06:48 PM   #4738
RichC
Meh

The standard of reffing has been abysmal. Can’t believe I’ve written that in a rugby thread and not in a football one.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-21, 06:50 PM   #4739
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I can’t believe I feel sorry for the England Rugby team!!!

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 27-02-21, 07:22 PM   #4740
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

How many pens from Itoje? Has to be about 4 now.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 27-02-21, 07:37 PM   #4741
ChesterDave
Paisley

Don't think I will ever understand the rules of this sport. Is it not a knock on when it hits the chest of LRZ and bounces on the floor? I thoght anything above the knee counted?
Old 27-02-21, 09:00 PM   #4742
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Disastrous performance from England. Even with the generous try. I wonder if the pressure will start to mount on EJ, some of these issues are longstanding and with the pool of talent England have should not be an recurring issue. He seems to have his core group of favourite players and nobody else gets a look in.

Discipline was awful in both the game vs Scotland and today vs Wales. You’ll never win test matches giving away that many pens.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 27-02-21, 09:32 PM   #4743
RichC
Meh

Massively undercooked but when you pick players that haven’t played a minute of club rugby this season what do you expect ?

No fan of Jones and certainly his love in with the Sarries players is crazy, result today again is what was deserved even with the utterly mental ref display
Old 27-02-21, 09:35 PM   #4744
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Massively undercooked but when you pick players that haven’t played a minute of club rugby this season what do you expect ?

No fan of Jones and certainly his love in with the Sarries players is crazy, result today again is what was deserved even with the utterly mental ref display
I don’t know what Jones is thinking at all?

He literally refuses to change his team, even his squad and the potential to give the likes of the Simmonds brothers caps this tournament is a massive missed opportunity. Itoje was on the edge today. Some borderline decisions going against him, but his approach was getting himself and England into more and more trouble.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 27-02-21, 09:40 PM   #4745
RichC
Meh

Quote:
I donít know what Jones is thinking at all?

He literally refuses to change his team, even his squad and the potential to give the likes of the Simmonds brothers caps this tournament is a massive missed opportunity. Itoje was on the edge today. Some borderline decisions going against him, but his approach was getting himself and England into more and more trouble.
Never wanted him and donít really like his antics.

We were dreadful again and picking the same players over and over again what else at the moment could you expect ? There is some massive talent in the side but theyíre not there at the moment, playing the ďtried and testedĒ is a bit of a kop out really and he needs to be called on it
Old 28-02-21, 11:32 PM   #4746
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

maybe they should re-write the Laws just to suit Maro. He IS a great player. But this is ridiculous.

Quote:
After Maro Itoje gave away five penalties in England’s 40-24 defeat to Wales, Eddie Jones argued that “referees tend to over-referee” the lock because of his quality and style of play.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 01-03-21, 10:05 AM   #4747
Irishnev
Shankly

Classic France - on the cusp of something great with a fantastic crop of players and a coach who seems in harmony with them, they go and shoot themselves in the foot ......he’ll surely get sacked?

Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 10:26 AM   #4748
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

It’s a nightmare scenario for us as we don’t have control over player release for about 10 players out with designated 6Ns weekends. To know this was all so they could go and eat waffles

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 01-03-21, 11:14 AM   #4749
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Itís a nightmare scenario for us as we donít have control over player release for about 10 players out with designated 6Ns weekends. To know this was all so they could go and eat waffles
Scotland should have been given the points and may well do now the real reason is known
Old 01-03-21, 11:19 AM   #4750
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Scotland should have been given the points and may well do now the real reason is known
That’s a totally imperfect solution also. If we go on to do well then it will always be*

You are right about one thing, it’s very French to have ballsed this up. Given it was the French Government that was creating such a fuss about the safety of the tournament.

Maybe they should have all their results removed? But that hands Wales the Slam. (Though it seems the refs are pretty much doing that anyway).

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 01-03-21, 12:46 PM   #4751
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Thatís a totally imperfect solution also. If we go on to do well then it will always be*

You are right about one thing, itís very French to have ballsed this up. Given it was the French Government that was creating such a fuss about the safety of the tournament.

Maybe they should have all their results removed? But that hands Wales the Slam. (Though it seems the refs are pretty much doing that anyway).
Iíve not been as invested in the tournament this season - only saw the Irish games v Wales and France........mad how Wales won the triple crown. We should have beaten them with 14 players
Old 01-03-21, 12:55 PM   #4752
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Iíve not been as invested in the tournament this season - only saw the Irish games v Wales and France........mad how Wales won the triple crown. We should have beaten them with 14 players
So should we. We came close.

Theyíve played against 14 twice and had two incredibly generous tryís handed to them vs England.

Have you seen the first try yet. Itís so dodgy I actually felt sympathy for Owen Farrell FFS

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 01-03-21, 05:05 PM   #4753
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
So should we. We came close.

Theyíve played against 14 twice and had two incredibly generous tryís handed to them vs England.

Have you seen the first try yet. Itís so dodgy I actually felt sympathy for Owen Farrell FFS

https://twitter.com/bbcscrumv/status...05741053026308
Ya - was expecting to see some lines drawn

est1892 > General > General Sports