It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 06-02-21, 06:21 PM   #4681
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Strangely I have had loads of my English friends get in touch to see what I think will happen today which is unusual.

I think England will win.

I hope Scotland will win.

Same as pretty much every year!

Nope, so far it's looking very much like it will be Scotland's day.

England looking very undercooked and the little things like Itoje's 2 charge downs not falling the 'right way' makes me think the CC is going back up north.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 06:32 PM   #4682
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

We’ve played really well. But only lead by 2 points.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 07:02 PM   #4683
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Shocking missed pen from Russell.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 06-02-21, 07:03 PM   #4684
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Hoggs spiral kicks are unreal. What a bomb that was.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 06-02-21, 07:28 PM   #4685
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Excruciating.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 06-02-21, 07:35 PM   #4686
badpiggy
Paisley

Gtfi! Great win despite trying to lose it at the end
"But thus I counsel you, my friends: Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice! Verily, their souls lack more than honey. And when they call themselves the good and the just, do not forget that they would be pharisees, if only they had power."
badpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 07:36 PM   #4687
RichC
Meh

No complaints with that. That was an absolutely disgraceful performance from England and yet again when it’s not working we have nobody on the pitch that can think and implement changes. Seen it too often under Jones for my liking.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 08:19 PM   #4688
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
No complaints with that. That was an absolutely disgraceful performance from England and yet again when itís not working we have nobody on the pitch that can think and implement changes. Seen it too often under Jones for my liking.
Iíve never seen England show up like that.

Definitely some complacency involved. I had a feeling that the no fans issue and the Saracens guys not having played might work in our favour, but I didnít expect us to dominate. Even when we were down to 14.

We are improving though. Good players and depth. Having player that play every week in the Gallagher Prem has improved mentality and performances.

We have to back this up.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 06-02-21, 08:19 PM   #4689
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Also. What the fuck is going on with Ellis Genges hair and tache

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 06-02-21, 08:20 PM   #4690
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpiggy View Post
Gtfi! Great win despite trying to lose it at the end
My heart was racing for the last 5.

Mad drop goal attempt. Then kicked it away with 20 seconds to go.

Almighty rip from Hamish Watson right at the end to bring it home

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 06-02-21, 08:36 PM   #4691
RichC
Meh

Quote:

Definitely some complacency involved. I had a feeling that the no fans issue and the Saracens guys not having played might work in our favour, but I didnít expect us to dominate. Even when we were down to 14.

We are improving though. Good players and depth. Having player that play every week in the Gallagher Prem has improved mentality and performances.

We have to back this up.
We were awful, massively undercooked.
Iím not even sure that was a great Scottish performance and I mean that as in it didnít need to be. You were by far the better side and probably had more gears to go if you needed them but you didnít !
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 08:59 PM   #4692
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
We were awful, massively undercooked.
I’m not even sure that was a great Scottish performance and I mean that as in it didn’t need to be. You were by far the better side and probably had more gears to go if you needed them but you didn’t !
It was a really poor performance. The discipline was awful from kick off right through,

If say the criticism of us is that we probably left about 10 points out on the pitch so should have won far more comfortably. But what was at stake for us can’t be played down.

I sometimes think Eddie Jones tries too much with the Fergie style mind games in the lead up, but normally it doesn’t matter. He will never get a bite from us because we always lose. Sometimes we’ve been ‘maybe’ a bit cocky in the run in, but we excused control and confidence today. Not something I’ve witnessed before.

It was really strange because I have watched countless Calcutta cups play out exactly like that, just with the teams the other way around.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 07-02-21, 08:22 AM   #4693
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:

We have to back this up.
Scotland go bragh - well done......delighted for ye
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 01:05 PM   #4694
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

One day since Scotland last won at Twickenham.

Keeping England to 6 points at Twickenham is definitely something to be proud of. Didn’t realise just how few games had been lost there.

I’m going to remove the Saracens angle from the list of excuses. We had a Saracens player and he played really well.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 07-02-21, 04:50 PM   #4695
ChesterDave
Paisley

Wales
Getting out played by 14.
Old 07-02-21, 04:51 PM   #4696
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
Wales
Getting out played by 14.
Ssssssssssh
Old 07-02-21, 06:33 PM   #4697
Irishnev
Shankly

What a fucking kick from Burns at the end
Old 07-02-21, 07:28 PM   #4698
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
What a fucking kick from Burns at the end
Just read about it, was it out on the full to end the match?

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 07-02-21, 07:52 PM   #4699
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Just read about it, was it out on the full to end the match?
Played most of the game with 14 after POM correctly sent off. Down by 5 and win a pen in their 22 and he kicked out in the full

Have had better Sundays Buzzo
Old 07-02-21, 08:20 PM   #4700
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Played most of the game with 14 after POM correctly sent off. Down by 5 and win a pen in their 22 and he kicked out in the full

Have had better Sundays Buzzo
Iím still clinging on to yesterday for dear life.

Playing a 6 nations game with 14 for so long is virtually impossible so you did well to stay in touch.

Kicking it out on the full can happen, if you try to bite off too much - but not from inside the oppo 22. That is poor.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 07-02-21, 10:19 PM   #4701
badpiggy
Paisley

His brother made an utter twat of himself fucking up a try a couple of years ago in a Heineken cup match against a French team
"But thus I counsel you, my friends: Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice! Verily, their souls lack more than honey. And when they call themselves the good and the just, do not forget that they would be pharisees, if only they had power."
badpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 12:51 PM   #4702
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpiggy View Post
His brother made an utter twat of himself fucking up a try a couple of years ago in a Heineken cup match against a French team
I think I remember this. Failed to dot the ball down for a try after doing all the hard work?

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 10-02-21, 07:54 PM   #4703
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Cant believe w're not still talking about the game. And no sign of Cormack since Saturday...

Anyway, I will reignite the conversation with these Stuart Hogg kicks. Absolutely incredible.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 11-02-21, 10:38 PM   #4704
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Cant believe w're not still talking about the game. And no sign of Cormack since Saturday...

Anyway, I will reignite the conversation with these Stuart Hogg kicks. Absolutely incredible.

Stuart Hogg kicking display vs England 2021 - YouTube

I haven't remotely felt like coming on the site since the City game. Well the City game on top of the previous two. I thought I'd pop in here but I still don't fancy the football forums - I noticed I had a page and a half of unread threads in the LFC forum and it's going to stay that way for a while

So FWIW.

Scotland were excellent, had a game plan and executed it. I suspect in the past they might have got a bit twitchy in the second half but they were solid in pretty much all aspects and showed far more clarity of thought than we did.

Clarity of thought is something EJ had in spades but seems to be rapidly losing. Picking 4 guys with pretty much no rugby since October on top of having 5 missing is straight jacket territory. I can't possibly think he underestimated Scotland but have to sort of wonder.

And his muddled thought processes seemed to have spread to the team. Why else when they were chasing the game would they be aimlessly kicking to one of the game's best when it comes to returning kicks or running the ball back?

And now more muddled shit. We can't win the Grand Slam but might win the 6N (we won't but you'll see where I'm going here). Of course we want to win the 6N but the GS should be where we're aiming when we've won the 6N in recent years. So what better opportunity to give game time to the guys on the margins and hone our tactics?

Olly Lawrence, case in point. A very talented youngster who got given the ball once on Saturday. So not really his fault he didn't have a stormer. Common sense says give him a run out against the Italians with Paulo Odogwu next to him - another young talented guy. Fuck that says Eddie. Let's go back to the Ford / Farrell axis which we know all about. Why Eddie why? because we've seen it 20, 30, 40 times before.

Anyway one last thought about Saturday; it's the losers perogative to whinge about the ref. But equally you know I've done some reffing so I'm always on 'ref watch'

You may have guessed I was pretty disappointed with his performance . . . allowing the Scots to go off their feet but penalising us for it. Penalising us for foul play that wasn't foul play e.g. Genge's 'no arm' tackle even though TV showed he attempted to wrap them (no idea what happened to the TMO there). Letting Price get away with Rugby League feeds into the scrum. The list is long but I won't go on any further. It's clear that if you get on the right side of the ref early you've got a better chance of getting subsequent decisions but we seem to always ignore that.

Oh and 2 last Scottish things: I thought Price was bang average (again) - does he have a relative high up at the SRFU or something? Others like SHC must be wondering what's going on there.

Scotland have a real chance to do something brilliant this year but they'll need to be lucky with injuries and absolutely must improve their 'red zone' efficiency to avoid the season becoming a 'what might have been'. I'm almost more interested in their next game than England's TBH.

Last edited by Cormack74; 11-02-21 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-02-21, 12:11 AM   #4705
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

That’s a fair read on the game (other than the ref, we all see what we want to ).

I was also surprised by EJ. I felt his attempts at mind games were pretty feeble in the run in to the game. England are huge favourites as always, goading us seemed pointless. And then tactically England seem to be fast becoming outdated. What is the plan here? The incessant kicking was absolutely bizarre and given the fact it wasn’t working persisting when Hogg was on top form was just strange. Kicking to a guy that can either run it back or send it over your head to the 5 metre line from inside his own 22, and was doing just that was bizarre.

I also agree that the return of Ford Farrell against Italy is a strange one, it’s a known formula and pretty much any England team is going to demolish Italy. I don’t understand how either Simmonds doesn’t get a look in for England, surely both deserve some game time on form over the past few years?

I agree with the Saracens comment to an extent, however Maitland played well for us. To me the entire mentality from England seemed miles off what was required, and that’s something I can say I’ve never associated with England except for second half in 2019. With us winning in 18, drawing in 19, last years game being destroyers by the weather and winning again this year I’ve felt the win was coming - I just couldn’t say it. And we definitely left a few points out there.

Where do we go fron now? We have to back that up. We have Jamie Ritchie and Can Redpath out on Saturday which is a shame (Redpath was incredible) but we do have depth now. 2 frontline hookers out and George Turner came in and had a stormer. We look like a team in every sense of the word. But we MUST go on and prove it. 3 hone games and France away so anything could happen.

I am actually intrigued to see what England do on Saturday because the performance was sooo poor and the likes of Farrell and Billy who were awful must respond, I’m sure they will. I’ve never seen Farrell look bereft of ideas and confidence - he looked shocked, But long term do England have the attack to really progress - as things stand I’m not so sure. Which is odd as they definitely have the players.

BTW. Very much enjoyed Rugby Union Weekly this week which brought in very fair assessment of the game.

Crowdfund

Vlog

Last edited by Buzzo; 12-02-21 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-02-21, 12:15 AM   #4706
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I thought Price was ok, he responded well to being put under pressure from Itoje. But I kind of agree on SHC, he isn’t even in the squad and Steele seems to be the new deputy. Price and Russell do work well together however.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 12-02-21, 12:16 AM   #4707
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

And yeah. The footy forum is less than amazing right now...!!

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 13-02-21, 03:45 PM   #4708
ChesterDave
Paisley

Strong whiff of a knock-on for the first English try
Old 13-02-21, 07:21 PM   #4709
ChesterDave
Paisley

OOOOOOF!

14 man Scotland regain the lead!
Old 13-02-21, 07:34 PM   #4710
ChesterDave
Paisley

Don't understand these delicate little kicks through. Seems unecessary concession of possession. Just need to keep hold of it and draw a penalty.
Old 13-02-21, 07:45 PM   #4711
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Back down to earth.

Felt like a harsh red. Cant put in more effort.

The Welsh wing is outstanding.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 13-02-21, 07:45 PM   #4712
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Sport can do one today.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 13-02-21, 07:49 PM   #4713
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Sport can do one today.
Like me last Sunday - hello darkness my old friend
Old 13-02-21, 08:15 PM   #4714
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Both teams today, played well and lost.

Massive boost for Wales to play for most of the tournament against 14. Looked like a yellow to me. Looked as if the TMO was offering the ref the opportunity to give a yellow.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 13-02-21, 08:39 PM   #4715
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The luck of the... Welsh.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 14-02-21, 03:40 PM   #4716
Cormack74
Shankly

So yesterday FWIW (part 1 )

England did ok, played more positive rugby and had 10x the energy with Sinckler back and Cowan-Dickie starting. Jamie George is an exceptional hooker but it was clear from the Scotland game that he's woefully short of match practice. His line out numbers are insane so the fact the Scots were stealing throws was clear evidence that he wasn't ready to start.

C-D by comparison is more of a gamble on the throwing side but when he gets it right (as he did) the rest of his game brings unbelievable intensity to any team.

Billy V is still looking off the pace though, it looks like a good time to bring back Hughes or Simmonds or give Dombrandt a try out. In fact Italy would have been the game to do it. I'm not a huge fan of Ben Earl - he has nothing the other two don't so I really don't get why he's in EJ's good books and the others aren't?

I'm not a fan of Ford either but he was ok to be fair whilst Farrell brings nothing at 12, missed kicks at goal and almost got carded (again). With Saracens without game time EJ could usefully have used this 6N to have stood Farrell down or at least stood him down as a starter and as Captain for a bit. Another trick missed.

Robson should be starting ahead of Ben Youngs now too. Youngs has done terrific service but he has more bad and average games than good ones these days and Ben Spencer's continued absence is another complete and utter mystery. I almost wonder if EJ just picks the guys he likes?

Italy were disappointing for me. Yes it was good to see them play positive rugby (again) but last week they had fantastic intensity and although they ended up well beaten their stats in lots of areas were really good. They just let themselves down with imprecision.

Not sure how we will go against Wales. EJ has 2 weeks to think about it and I'd hope he uses it wisely but on recent evidence he may not . . .
Old 14-02-21, 04:02 PM   #4717
Cormack74
Shankly

And so to part 2.

As a neutral Sco v Wal was really enjoyable. I do find it a little weird though that 2 teams who looked so bereft of attacking ability in the Autumn both now look so potent.

Ali P actually did ok this week (not sure if it's just the 'one swallow' thing but anyway ) and his chip through for the try was a clever piece of play.

Scotland seem much more at home with their game plan and at times their phases were as good as you'll see. Even after ZF's sending off they looked like a top rugby team with belief in what they were doing and how they were doing it. Not sure if that's all come from the one game against England or a general evolution and backed up by guys like Hogg and Gray playing for a top team now?

The sending off was obviously pivotal or at least appeared to be although the penalty at the very end could have gone either way. At least it appeared that way. A camera angle from the other side would have been far more useful in determining it.

The sending off was a bit 50:50 although on balance probably the right call if the IRB want to be consistent in the message they send out. It certainly ticked the the Law 9.20 rule boxes as a sending off offence.

I've always though ZF is a bit prone to entering rucks recklessly and there was just no point to what he did - even if he hadn't connected with WJ. I agree Karl Dickson did offer a word of caution (a bit ironic for anyone who has ever seen Karl Dickson referee ) but what probably didn't help the cause was the fact that Jones fell back clutching his head.

Anyhow it makes the 6N more interesting (I know that won't make you feel any happier Buzzo), they'll just need to go and get a result in France which I think they're actually capable of if they stick to what they've done well so far.
Old 14-02-21, 04:06 PM   #4718
Cormack74
Shankly

Forgot Billy B was starting today Nev.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong but I'm struggling to see it.

Surely Paddy J has done his time now and can be recalled. He's been absolutely brilliant for LI this season.
Old 14-02-21, 06:37 PM   #4719
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Forgot Billy B was starting today Nev.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong but I'm struggling to see it.

Surely Paddy J has done his time now and can be recalled. He's been absolutely brilliant for LI this season.
He is shit and way out of his depth - need I say more
Old 14-02-21, 06:56 PM   #4720
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
So yesterday FWIW (part 1 )

England did ok, played more positive rugby and had 10x the energy with Sinckler back and Cowan-Dickie starting. Jamie George is an exceptional hooker but it was clear from the Scotland game that he's woefully short of match practice. His line out numbers are insane so the fact the Scots were stealing throws was clear evidence that he wasn't ready to start.

C-D by comparison is more of a gamble on the throwing side but when he gets it right (as he did) the rest of his game brings unbelievable intensity to any team.

Billy V is still looking off the pace though, it looks like a good time to bring back Hughes or Simmonds or give Dombrandt a try out. In fact Italy would have been the game to do it. I'm not a huge fan of Ben Earl - he has nothing the other two don't so I really don't get why he's in EJ's good books and the others aren't?

I'm not a fan of Ford either but he was ok to be fair whilst Farrell brings nothing at 12, missed kicks at goal and almost got carded (again). With Saracens without game time EJ could usefully have used this 6N to have stood Farrell down or at least stood him down as a starter and as Captain for a bit. Another trick missed.

Robson should be starting ahead of Ben Youngs now too. Youngs has done terrific service but he has more bad and average games than good ones these days and Ben Spencer's continued absence is another complete and utter mystery. I almost wonder if EJ just picks the guys he likes?

Italy were disappointing for me. Yes it was good to see them play positive rugby (again) but last week they had fantastic intensity and although they ended up well beaten their stats in lots of areas were really good. They just let themselves down with imprecision.

Not sure how we will go against Wales. EJ has 2 weeks to think about it and I'd hope he uses it wisely but on recent evidence he may not . . .
Yeah, that is a really fair assessment. I didnt watch all of the game, but it felt like an opportunity missed for England. Farrell is becoming an issue for England. He slows everything down at 12 you feel a better distributor (more imaginative?) would unleash the backs. And at 10, again he just feels a bit predictable. He is however one of the luckiest players around and his tackling is on the edge. Off the top of my head I can think of 4-5 times he has been lucky to evade a yellow or red.

I just cant believe both Simmonds at Exeter aren't in the squad. They have been immense for years.

Robson seems a lively 9, and as you say Youngs has been a great servant but again is almost programed into that England way of playing as opposed to playing what is infront of him. Englands back 3 deserve more ball.

I dont think anything has been proven yesterday, it was a comfortable win against a team that at the very least should be being beaten comfortably. The Wales match will be interesting. Are Wales all that good? I dont think we know yet.

Itay are a busted flush, they are miles off it, either bring in relegation or go back to 5 nations. It looks incredibly competitive between the other 5 this season which makes Italy stick out even more.

Crowdfund

Vlog

est1892 > General > General Sports