It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-05-20, 07:13 PM   #361
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
Proper mess up there with the original vote and follow on.
The SPL are a fucking shambles.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 07:56 PM   #362
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,601
See Hearts plan of saving themselves from relegation is unlikely to work.

As the Cowdenbeath chairman has said its completely self serving
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 07:59 PM   #363
ChesterDave
Paisley
 
ChesterDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 24,865
They have been utterly dreadful but there is definitely an unpleasant stench coming from the governing body
__________________
Lot and lots of points still to go. We're going to win it for a 7th time instead.
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 08:07 PM   #364
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
They have been utterly dreadful but there is definitely an unpleasant stench coming from the governing body
I've been to a few Hearts games this season, and they have in the main been shite, however they had begun to get better, and 4 points adrift with 9 to play were still in the hunt.

What has happened totally stinks.

And the plan to resize the League was a decent one.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-20, 12:15 PM   #365
Exiled_red
Paisley
 
Exiled_red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 44,291
BBC reports that the son of George Gillette has had a bid for Hearts rejected
__________________
The only gracious way to accept an insult is to ignore it; if you can't ignore it, top it; if you can't top it, laugh at it; if you can't laugh at it, it's probably deserved.
Exiled_red is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-20, 12:15 PM   #366
ChesterDave
Paisley
 
ChesterDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 24,865
Lucky them. They have suffered enough. Although was he not the more reasonable of the two?
__________________
Lot and lots of points still to go. We're going to win it for a 7th time instead.
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 07:06 PM   #367
refugee
Benitez
 
refugee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
Lucky them. They have suffered enough. Although was he not the more reasonable of the two?
I think he was the one that initially fell out with Rafa and Hicks. Then Rafa buddied up to Hicks for a while until they fell out.


I could be wrong. It's a time best forgotten
refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 12:11 PM   #368
dom9
Ant Pisser
 
dom9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 66,799
One for Buzzo

__________________
Oh I don't know.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 03:25 PM   #369
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763
Cool, I've seen loads of images of Tynecastle through the ages, but not so many of Easter Road.

I used to work right next to it. Kind of below where that shot is taken from (wonder how they got that shot?).

My Aunt used to go and watch Hearts back then, and she said in those days you would go to Tynecastle one week and Easter Road the next, also at Half time, everyone would swap ends.

Whilst we will never get back to that, I do feel some of the camaraderie amongst opposition fans is missing. The faux/pantomime hatred gets very tiring.

Here is an old pic of Tynecastle, it didnt look much different the first time I went to a live football match in the 80's.

Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 03:46 PM   #370
spud_gun
Paisley
 
spud_gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Cool, I've seen loads of images of Tynecastle through the ages, but not so many of Easter Road.

I used to work right next to it. Kind of below where that shot is taken from (wonder how they got that shot?).

My Aunt used to go and watch Hearts back then, and she said in those days you would go to Tynecastle one week and Easter Road the next, also at Half time, everyone would swap ends.

Whilst we will never get back to that, I do feel some of the camaraderie amongst opposition fans is missing. The faux/pantomime hatred gets very tiring.

Here is an old pic of Tynecastle, it didnt look much different the first time I went to a live football match in the 80's.

Best ground in the Scottish Championship
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 03:57 PM   #371
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Best ground in the Scottish Championship


What a shambles it has been.

Partick got fucked over more than Hearts did. The SPFL (Neil Doncaster) are an absolute joke.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 04:27 PM   #372
spud_gun
Paisley
 
spud_gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post


What a shambles it has been.

Partick got fucked over more than Hearts did. The SPFL (Neil Doncaster) are an absolute joke.


Knew you'd bite.

Yeah the entire situation is shambolic. Suggestions are they rushed the end of the season as the new TV contract kicks In and they didn't want anything to jeopardize it.
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 04:42 PM   #373
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post


Knew you'd bite.

Yeah the entire situation is shambolic. Suggestions are they rushed the end of the season as the new TV contract kicks In and they didn't want anything to jeopardize it.


I've obviously got a vested interest, but genuinely I'd feel the same if it were any team. If Liverpool had won the PL on a PPG system it would not have been the same, because, it's not what teams signed up for.

I read an article by Tom English where he was saying apparently Barry Hearn was a guest speaker at a SPFL do once, and he ripped into them, too much astonishment. Basically said he can sell out venues for sports you cant even see properly (Darts and boxing) and that for the SPFL to not be able to attract a sponsor was an embarrassment.

He is not wrong.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 05:29 PM   #374
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Cool, I've seen loads of images of Tynecastle through the ages, but not so many of Easter Road.

I used to work right next to it. Kind of below where that shot is taken from (wonder how they got that shot?).

My Aunt used to go and watch Hearts back then, and she said in those days you would go to Tynecastle one week and Easter Road the next, also at Half time, everyone would swap ends.

Whilst we will never get back to that, I do feel some of the camaraderie amongst opposition fans is missing. The faux/pantomime hatred gets very tiring.

Here is an old pic of Tynecastle, it didnt look much different the first time I went to a live football match in the 80's.
Sure she didn't mean try and take an end.i.e. the opposing fans. Used to be what hooligans did back in the day
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 06:11 PM   #375
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Sure she didn't mean try and take an end.i.e. the opposing fans. Used to be what hooligans did back in the day


Donít think my Aunt was an early casual... but you never know.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 09:01 PM   #376
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post


Donít think my Aunt was an early casual... but you never know.

Back then when everyone had flares and long hair I'm not sure it was possible to tell who was involved
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 09:56 PM   #377
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Back then when everyone had flares and long hair I'm not sure it was possible to tell who was involved


We are talking 50's not 70's or 80's for her stories.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 07:45 AM   #378
rudedog
Pig hater
 
rudedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
My mate has just bought a flat in that triangular patch of land in the picture directly above the stadium. My wee brother lives on the opposite side of lochend loch, just out of shot.
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 12:09 PM   #379
dom9
Ant Pisser
 
dom9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 66,799
This one is bonkers


__________________
Oh I don't know.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 12:10 PM   #380
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft
 
Kenneth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 51,683
Christ
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 01:50 PM   #381
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763


What could possibly go wrong?
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 08:13 PM   #382
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post


We are talking 50's not 70's or 80's for her stories.



Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-21, 02:00 PM   #383
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763
Just listening to a phone in and a Celtic Supporter just commented that if they don’t get ten in a row this year, then they will definitely get it next

He was totally oblivious.
__________________
Create a memory

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-21, 10:23 PM   #384
Chazza
Des Lynam
 
Chazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31,095
Rangers need 7 points to win the league.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-21, 10:32 PM   #385
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763
Just saw Celtic lost to Ross County.
__________________
Create a memory

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-21, 10:33 PM   #386
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763
Still. There’s always next season.

__________________
Create a memory

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-21, 10:34 PM   #387
Chazza
Des Lynam
 
Chazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31,095


Rangers can have a real go in the Europa now, be interesting to see how they go if they pull an English team
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-21, 10:57 PM   #388
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain
 
BobTheCharmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,321
Can't wait for Gerrard to come home.
__________________
Always borrow money from a pessimist. He wonít expect it back. Oscar Wilde
BobTheCharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-21, 08:31 AM   #389
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,601
Lennon resigns

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55130253
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-21, 12:53 PM   #390
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763
A sacking that has been slowly stalking Lennon tracking him and hunting him down for about 6 months.

There will not be a single Celtic supporter disappointed with this news.

His attacks on the Scottish Government recently were both ill thought out and ultimately bizarre.
__________________
Create a memory

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-21, 01:06 PM   #391
spud_gun
Paisley
 
spud_gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,401
Gerrard has done a fantastic job in turning Rangers from also rans into Champions in his three seasons there.

At the same time the Celtic board have done an equally fantastic job of running the club into the ground in the same time frame.

The John McGinn transfers succinctly sums up how badly Celtic have been managed in that period. They refused to pay £3m to sign him from Hibs. He's probably worth 10 x that now.
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-21, 04:02 PM   #392
frank the tank
Shankly
 
frank the tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Gerrard has done a fantastic job in turning Rangers from also rans into Champions in his three seasons there.

At the same time the Celtic board have done an equally fantastic job of running the club into the ground in the same time frame.

The John McGinn transfers succinctly sums up how badly Celtic have been managed in that period. They refused to pay £3m to sign him from Hibs. He's probably worth 10 x that now.
I think Celtic need a strong rangers to make investment viable. Being listed on the stock exchange means that they are essentially answerable to shareholders. In reality it has therefore been hard to justify spending big money on transfer fees and wages because there were pretty much guaranteed the domestic title regardless of how much they spent on transfer fees. And they were never going to spend the big bucks required to do well in european competition.

Their business model is essentially to be a feeder club for teams in the Premier League. And that has proven successful to be fair. So while your example of McGinn is valid, they have made huge profits on the likes of Tierney (25m), Virgil (10m with 25% sell on), Dembele (20+ million), Wanyama (12m), Forster (10m), McGeady (10m), Frimpong (9m)..... none of these players cost them more than the 2.3m they paid for VVD.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-21, 04:55 PM   #393
spud_gun
Paisley
 
spud_gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
I think Celtic need a strong rangers to make investment viable. Being listed on the stock exchange means that they are essentially answerable to shareholders. In reality it has therefore been hard to justify spending big money on transfer fees and wages because there were pretty much guaranteed the domestic title regardless of how much they spent on transfer fees. And they were never going to spend the big bucks required to do well in european competition.

Their business model is essentially to be a feeder club for teams in the Premier League. And that has proven successful to be fair. So while your example of McGinn is valid, they have made huge profits on the likes of Tierney (25m), Virgil (10m with 25% sell on), Dembele (20+ million), Wanyama (12m), Forster (10m), McGeady (10m), Frimpong (9m)..... none of these players cost them more than the 2.3m they paid for VVD.
It's all relative but they have spent a decent amount of money on players in recent season. They've spent it on utter dog shit though.

You're right their model did/does appear to be sign cheap European players and sign them on for fairly hefty fees. This model is flawed in so far as it requires a continued flow of good signings coming into the club.

4 of the 7 players you listed above left Celtic 5+ years ago (McGeady, VVD, Wanyama and Forster) . 2 others came through the youth set-up (McGeady and Tierney)

The success or lack there of this season is also relative. They're one season removed from winning the quadruple treble or some such nonsense

Final thought - McGinn is / was a real sliding doors moment for them. He was a good player at Hibs and would have gone on to prove himself more than worth a place in the Celtic team. They'd no doubt have sold him or be looking to sell him for a very healthy profit
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-21, 07:40 PM   #394
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763
It’s not all OF in Scottish football. 9600 tickets sold for a game that’s on BBC and nobody can attend in person


__________________
Create a memory

Crowdfund

Vlog

Last edited by Buzzo; 24-02-21 at 07:42 PM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 09:52 AM   #395
spud_gun
Paisley
 
spud_gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Itís not all OF in Scottish football. 9600 tickets sold for a game thatís on BBC and nobody can attend in person

https://twitter.com/ictfc/status/1358015501935517697

https://twitter.com/scottiewilson/st...42293865361408
The lower leagues in Scotland have been doing similar for the last year

https://donateaticket.com/

Decent amount of money raised for the clubs
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 10:17 AM   #396
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 131,123


__________________
Fucking chances, goals
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 10:29 AM   #397
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43,763
Scottish refs are the worst.
__________________
Create a memory

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 11:40 AM   #398
RedAndWhite
Dalglish
 
RedAndWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,309
If he keeps that level of performance up he will be a premier league ref next season....
RedAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 12:32 PM   #399
labourRed
Shankly
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9,431
It was a stone-waller to be fair. Booking him (Morelos) was rubbing salt into the wounds.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 12:55 PM   #400
S-RED
Dalglish
 
S-RED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,457
Ref's hate Moralles don't they?
S-RED is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  est1892 > Football > General Football

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Our Current Balance versus Target. Please help us: (Donate)

Kindly Hosted By DigitalWales
Any posts remain the responsibility of the poster. Neither est1892, its Owners nor any company affiliated will be held responsible from any disputes arising from these posts. The views raised are not necessarily those held by the website or its owners.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.