It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 18-05-20, 07:13 PM   #361
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
Proper mess up there with the original vote and follow on.
The SPL are a fucking shambles.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 07:56 PM   #362
RichC
Meh

See Hearts plan of saving themselves from relegation is unlikely to work.

As the Cowdenbeath chairman has said its completely self serving
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 07:59 PM   #363
ChesterDave
Paisley

They have been utterly dreadful but there is definitely an unpleasant stench coming from the governing body
Old 28-05-20, 08:07 PM   #364
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
They have been utterly dreadful but there is definitely an unpleasant stench coming from the governing body
I've been to a few Hearts games this season, and they have in the main been shite, however they had begun to get better, and 4 points adrift with 9 to play were still in the hunt.

What has happened totally stinks.

And the plan to resize the League was a decent one.
Old 30-05-20, 12:15 PM   #365
Exiled_red
Paisley

BBC reports that the son of George Gillette has had a bid for Hearts rejected
Old 30-05-20, 12:15 PM   #366
ChesterDave
Paisley

Lucky them. They have suffered enough. Although was he not the more reasonable of the two?
Old 08-06-20, 07:06 PM   #367
refugee
Benitez

Quote:
Lucky them. They have suffered enough. Although was he not the more reasonable of the two?
I think he was the one that initially fell out with Rafa and Hicks. Then Rafa buddied up to Hicks for a while until they fell out.

I could be wrong. It's a time best forgotten
refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 12:11 PM   #368
dom9
Ant Pisser

One for Buzzo

Old 29-06-20, 03:25 PM   #369
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Cool, I've seen loads of images of Tynecastle through the ages, but not so many of Easter Road.

I used to work right next to it. Kind of below where that shot is taken from (wonder how they got that shot?).

My Aunt used to go and watch Hearts back then, and she said in those days you would go to Tynecastle one week and Easter Road the next, also at Half time, everyone would swap ends.

Whilst we will never get back to that, I do feel some of the camaraderie amongst opposition fans is missing. The faux/pantomime hatred gets very tiring.

Here is an old pic of Tynecastle, it didnt look much different the first time I went to a live football match in the 80's.

Old 29-06-20, 03:46 PM   #370
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Cool, I've seen loads of images of Tynecastle through the ages, but not so many of Easter Road.

I used to work right next to it. Kind of below where that shot is taken from (wonder how they got that shot?).

My Aunt used to go and watch Hearts back then, and she said in those days you would go to Tynecastle one week and Easter Road the next, also at Half time, everyone would swap ends.

Whilst we will never get back to that, I do feel some of the camaraderie amongst opposition fans is missing. The faux/pantomime hatred gets very tiring.

Here is an old pic of Tynecastle, it didnt look much different the first time I went to a live football match in the 80's.

Best ground in the Scottish Championship
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 03:57 PM   #371
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Best ground in the Scottish Championship

What a shambles it has been.

Partick got fucked over more than Hearts did. The SPFL (Neil Doncaster) are an absolute joke.
Old 29-06-20, 04:27 PM   #372
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:

What a shambles it has been.

Partick got fucked over more than Hearts did. The SPFL (Neil Doncaster) are an absolute joke.

Knew you'd bite.

Yeah the entire situation is shambolic. Suggestions are they rushed the end of the season as the new TV contract kicks In and they didn't want anything to jeopardize it.
Old 29-06-20, 04:42 PM   #373
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

Knew you'd bite.

Yeah the entire situation is shambolic. Suggestions are they rushed the end of the season as the new TV contract kicks In and they didn't want anything to jeopardize it.

I've obviously got a vested interest, but genuinely I'd feel the same if it were any team. If Liverpool had won the PL on a PPG system it would not have been the same, because, it's not what teams signed up for.

I read an article by Tom English where he was saying apparently Barry Hearn was a guest speaker at a SPFL do once, and he ripped into them, too much astonishment. Basically said he can sell out venues for sports you cant even see properly (Darts and boxing) and that for the SPFL to not be able to attract a sponsor was an embarrassment.

He is not wrong.
Old 29-06-20, 05:29 PM   #374
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:

Sure she didn't mean try and take an end.i.e. the opposing fans. Used to be what hooligans did back in the day
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 06:11 PM   #375
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Sure she didn't mean try and take an end.i.e. the opposing fans. Used to be what hooligans did back in the day

Donít think my Aunt was an early casual... but you never know.
Old 29-06-20, 09:01 PM   #376
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:

Donít think my Aunt was an early casual... but you never know.

Back then when everyone had flares and long hair I'm not sure it was possible to tell who was involved
Old 29-06-20, 09:56 PM   #377
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Back then when everyone had flares and long hair I'm not sure it was possible to tell who was involved

We are talking 50's not 70's or 80's for her stories.
Old 30-06-20, 07:45 AM   #378
rudedog
Pig hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
My mate has just bought a flat in that triangular patch of land in the picture directly above the stadium. My wee brother lives on the opposite side of lochend loch, just out of shot.
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 12:09 PM   #379
dom9
Ant Pisser

This one is bonkers

Old 30-06-20, 12:10 PM   #380
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Christ
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 01:50 PM   #381
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

What could possibly go wrong?
Old 30-06-20, 08:13 PM   #382
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:

We are talking 50's not 70's or 80's for her stories.

Old 20-02-21, 02:00 PM   #383
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Just listening to a phone in and a Celtic Supporter just commented that if they don’t get ten in a row this year, then they will definitely get it next

He was totally oblivious.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 21-02-21, 10:23 PM   #384
Chazza
Des Lynam

Rangers need 7 points to win the league.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-21, 10:32 PM   #385
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Just saw Celtic lost to Ross County.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 21-02-21, 10:33 PM   #386
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Still. There’s always next season.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 21-02-21, 10:34 PM   #387
Chazza
Des Lynam

Rangers can have a real go in the Europa now, be interesting to see how they go if they pull an English team
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-21, 10:57 PM   #388
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Can't wait for Gerrard to come home.
Old 24-02-21, 08:31 AM   #389
RichC
Meh

Lennon resigns

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55130253
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-21, 12:53 PM   #390
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

A sacking that has been slowly stalking Lennon tracking him and hunting him down for about 6 months.

There will not be a single Celtic supporter disappointed with this news.

His attacks on the Scottish Government recently were both ill thought out and ultimately bizarre.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 24-02-21, 01:06 PM   #391
spud_gun
Paisley

Gerrard has done a fantastic job in turning Rangers from also rans into Champions in his three seasons there.

At the same time the Celtic board have done an equally fantastic job of running the club into the ground in the same time frame.

The John McGinn transfers succinctly sums up how badly Celtic have been managed in that period. They refused to pay £3m to sign him from Hibs. He's probably worth 10 x that now.
Old 24-02-21, 04:02 PM   #392
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Gerrard has done a fantastic job in turning Rangers from also rans into Champions in his three seasons there.

At the same time the Celtic board have done an equally fantastic job of running the club into the ground in the same time frame.

The John McGinn transfers succinctly sums up how badly Celtic have been managed in that period. They refused to pay £3m to sign him from Hibs. He's probably worth 10 x that now.
I think Celtic need a strong rangers to make investment viable. Being listed on the stock exchange means that they are essentially answerable to shareholders. In reality it has therefore been hard to justify spending big money on transfer fees and wages because there were pretty much guaranteed the domestic title regardless of how much they spent on transfer fees. And they were never going to spend the big bucks required to do well in european competition.

Their business model is essentially to be a feeder club for teams in the Premier League. And that has proven successful to be fair. So while your example of McGinn is valid, they have made huge profits on the likes of Tierney (25m), Virgil (10m with 25% sell on), Dembele (20+ million), Wanyama (12m), Forster (10m), McGeady (10m), Frimpong (9m)..... none of these players cost them more than the 2.3m they paid for VVD.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-21, 04:55 PM   #393
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
I think Celtic need a strong rangers to make investment viable. Being listed on the stock exchange means that they are essentially answerable to shareholders. In reality it has therefore been hard to justify spending big money on transfer fees and wages because there were pretty much guaranteed the domestic title regardless of how much they spent on transfer fees. And they were never going to spend the big bucks required to do well in european competition.

Their business model is essentially to be a feeder club for teams in the Premier League. And that has proven successful to be fair. So while your example of McGinn is valid, they have made huge profits on the likes of Tierney (25m), Virgil (10m with 25% sell on), Dembele (20+ million), Wanyama (12m), Forster (10m), McGeady (10m), Frimpong (9m)..... none of these players cost them more than the 2.3m they paid for VVD.
It's all relative but they have spent a decent amount of money on players in recent season. They've spent it on utter dog shit though.

You're right their model did/does appear to be sign cheap European players and sign them on for fairly hefty fees. This model is flawed in so far as it requires a continued flow of good signings coming into the club.

4 of the 7 players you listed above left Celtic 5+ years ago (McGeady, VVD, Wanyama and Forster) . 2 others came through the youth set-up (McGeady and Tierney)

The success or lack there of this season is also relative. They're one season removed from winning the quadruple treble or some such nonsense

Final thought - McGinn is / was a real sliding doors moment for them. He was a good player at Hibs and would have gone on to prove himself more than worth a place in the Celtic team. They'd no doubt have sold him or be looking to sell him for a very healthy profit
Old 24-02-21, 07:40 PM   #394
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

It’s not all OF in Scottish football. 9600 tickets sold for a game that’s on BBC and nobody can attend in person

Crowdfund

Vlog

Last edited by Buzzo; 24-02-21 at 07:42 PM.
Old 25-02-21, 09:52 AM   #395
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Itís not all OF in Scottish football. 9600 tickets sold for a game thatís on BBC and nobody can attend in person

https://twitter.com/ictfc/status/1358015501935517697

https://twitter.com/scottiewilson/st...42293865361408
The lower leagues in Scotland have been doing similar for the last year

https://donateaticket.com/

Decent amount of money raised for the clubs
Old 04-03-21, 10:17 AM   #396
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 04-03-21, 10:29 AM   #397
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Scottish refs are the worst.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 04-03-21, 11:40 AM   #398
RedAndWhite
Dalglish

If he keeps that level of performance up he will be a premier league ref next season....
RedAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 12:32 PM   #399
labourRed
Shankly

It was a stone-waller to be fair. Booking him (Morelos) was rubbing salt into the wounds.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 12:55 PM   #400
S-RED
Dalglish

Ref's hate Moralles don't they?
S-RED is online now   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > General Football