It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 25-07-21, 12:28 PM   #1321
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
If you're repeatedly wrongly criticised about something, then what's the problem with answering back and correcting people about it?
Nowt, but using as part of an explanation of a desire to change clubs doesn’t really stack up.
Old 25-07-21, 12:45 PM   #1322
Pepe79
Shankly

He thought it was unfair and made him feel undervalued by a section of the fan base.
Ultimately of course it was a contractual thing, but why wouldn’t something like that come into his mind when deciding whether to move on?

As I say I don’t think it was really a decider in anything and I don’t think he’s making it out to be either. But why shouldn’t he talk about it and put his side across when it clearly soured the end of his time here?
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 12:49 PM   #1323
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Like I say, because I don’t think it’s particular to any club. Newcastle fans accused him of only turning up at home. PSG fans will find something to judge him and criticise him on too.
Old 25-07-21, 12:59 PM   #1324
Pepe79
Shankly

They probably will. He isn’t saying it’s particular to any club. But obviously it hurts more when it’s a club where you’ve contributed and achieved so much.
Old 25-07-21, 01:06 PM   #1325
Charly
Dalglish

I think he played exactly how Klopp asks him to. Keita get the same criticism playing the same role. That not to say Wijnanldum didnt have the odd poor game. I think out midfielders do get judged a bit harshly if they are not seeing doing something flashy
Old 25-07-21, 01:31 PM   #1326
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
I think he played exactly how Klopp asks him to. Keita get the same criticism playing the same role. That not to say Wijnanldum didnt have the odd poor game. I think out midfielders do get judged a bit harshly if they are not seeing doing something flashy

Would be surprised if anyone expected a lot of flashy play from any of our midfielders tbh. Closest we have to that sort of midfielder is Thiago with his passing.

I also think that Wijnaldum had more than the odd sub par game the season just gone, but having said that he also put in plenty of high quality performances during his time at the club.

Don't think the criticism Keita gets is/was the same as what Wijnaldum got as they are very different players in terms of what they bring and one tended to play in a deeper role usually whereas the other would play in a more advanced role.

TBF I think the majority of what gets said about Keita revolves around how often he is unavailable rather than his ability or style of play.
Old 25-07-21, 01:47 PM   #1327
Paul12
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Thatís nonsense, with all due respect.
Mmm...I realised, having submitted the message, that as expressed it probably wasn't that helpful a comment, for at least two reasons: (1) I did not mean to suggest that the comments to which I was referring were racist or were some other sort of extreme abuse, so maybe 'appalling' was not the right word; and (2) in any case what appalls me might not appall others. So for that I apologise; I am sorry.

I continue though to be of the view that some of the comments posted on this website when we lose (and even when we go behind in a game) are way over the top (hence the, I believe, widely held view that the website is best avoided at such times) and in my view Gini has been the focus of more such comments than most other players in the last couple of years. So I think what he has said is fair comment...unfortunately. He does not appear to be suggesting though that that is what drove him out of the club though.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 02:14 PM   #1328
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Del

Last edited by RedReet; 25-07-21 at 02:31 PM.
RedReet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 04:03 PM   #1329
Charly
Dalglish

At the end of the day, he got a lot of great praise from most of the fans for most of the time, and earnt millions of pounds and won many trophies while cementing himself as a Liverpool legend. Its a bit difficult to sympathise because he feels he got stick on social media, because there is an easy solution to that. If people want to use social media as some kind of self affirmation to feel good about themselves, then they are doing it wrong. I think this is just a wee bit cynical by Wijnaldum.
Old 25-07-21, 04:51 PM   #1330
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post
Mmm...I realised, having submitted the message, that as expressed it probably wasn't that helpful a comment, for at least two reasons: (1) I did not mean to suggest that the comments to which I was referring were racist or were some other sort of extreme abuse, so maybe 'appalling' was not the right word; and (2) in any case what appalls me might not appall others. So for that I apologise; I am sorry.

I continue though to be of the view that some of the comments posted on this website when we lose (and even when we go behind in a game) are way over the top (hence the, I believe, widely held view that the website is best avoided at such times) and in my view Gini has been the focus of more such comments than most other players in the last couple of years. So I think what he has said is fair comment...unfortunately. He does not appear to be suggesting though that that is what drove him out of the club though.
Comments are definitely over the top, football is an emotional rollercoaster and some people let their short term emotions affect them more than others. But I donít think we see many posts that would fall into the category of Ďproblematicí.

With Gini, I must say that I donít really recognise the suggestion that he has been unfairly targeted or used as a scapegoat, certainly compared to others. I see people say heís been invisible in games, or that his effort has looked lacking last season, but he does not seem to get criticised as shite like so many on social media do e.g. Hendo, lovren, even Bobby during his iffy spells. Iím sure he notices the worst of it, like anyone would, but on balance, while he may be under appreciated, he doesnít seem to get proportionately more stick than he Ďdeservesí (obviously nobody really deserves to receive stick, but you get my drift). If lovren had complained about criticism from fans, it would be far more understandable than Gini.

But he has the right to feel how he feels, and others have the right feel how they feel about it I guess.
Old 25-07-21, 04:54 PM   #1331
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

I'd literally sit and be abused constantly for £5m a year, and be occasionally weed on
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 05:07 PM   #1332
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
I'd literally sit and be abused constantly for £5m a year, and be occasionally weed on

It's all about the money!
Old 25-07-21, 05:26 PM   #1333
fah-q
Touching cloth

Quote:
Some folk would do that for free
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 05:35 PM   #1334
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Imagine if playing football in front of millions was added to tue deal?

Worra moaning cunt he's turned out to be. Fucking hinted at it for a season too. Can you imagine the negotiations

'We'd like you to sign a deal to stay, Gini'

'Oh, I don't know if I can handle the pain for another season'

'Eh, what's happened Gini?'

'Scott from Halesowen called me a cunt after the WBA game'

'What section was he in, Gini'

'It wasn't face to face, oh and Carl from Hounslow said I ghosted through games too'

'We'll deal with it, Gini, but you need to point them out to us'

'It was on the Have Your Say section of the BBC website and on Twitter. I'm so upset that I've had to block Scott'
Old 25-07-21, 07:59 PM   #1335
fabinho
Benitez

Quote:

Worra moaning cunt he's turned out to be. Fucking hinted at it for a season too. Can you imagine the negotiations

'It wasn't face to face, oh and Carl from Hounslow said I ghosted through games too'

'It was on the Have Your Say section of the BBC website and on Twitter. I'm so upset that I've had to block Scott'
Old 25-07-21, 08:59 PM   #1336
Zapater
Dalglish

The state of the world is sad when people are openly admitting the opinions of the faceless on social media platforms are as important as management and colleagues. He, himself stated that he felt love from teammates, manager and supporters in the stadium. Letting fuckwits on social media derail perceptions is crazy. They exist everywhere, it's not like he won't have them at PSG or anywhere else. Maybe Liverpool is one of the few clubs to have unique global appeal where it is magnified a little more.

Either way, I point the finger more at society than him, although you'd think people would be able to disassociate and listen to the voices that really matter. Regardless, he was a really good player for Liverpool and he's done what he's believed best for him. Time to close the book and for him to continue his career.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 09:22 PM   #1337
RedReet

Del

Last edited by RedReet; 25-07-21 at 09:42 PM.
Old 25-07-21, 09:31 PM   #1338
Venton
Paisley

I genuinely thought that footballers would have coaching on how to avoid reading the cesspit that is twitter. I still like and respect him as a footballer, but as a grown ass man what a let down he is.
Old 25-07-21, 10:05 PM   #1339
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

The most bizarre thing is that those comments could've been made by WUMs and trolls and most likely not Liverpool fans
Old 26-07-21, 12:41 AM   #1340
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Just call him a vole cunt and shut the thread.
Old 26-07-21, 06:07 AM   #1341
Mr Pink
Benitez

I think heís a bit out of line here tbh- if he was genuinely abused at any point, he shoulda posted about it at the time or talked about it in an interview at the time or that..

Now that heís left the club, should keep things classy- Iím sure that he knows he was/is loved by 99.99% of LFC fans, he should only be saying good things about the fans at this point.
Old 26-07-21, 06:15 AM   #1342
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-21, 06:19 AM   #1343
Harv
Randy Marsh

I loved Gini, but this little ruse to try hoodwink fans into believing the reason he left was because he got "abused" by a few idiots on social media and nothing to do with PSG giving him a big fat final pay day is really tarnishing his legacy with us.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-21, 07:51 AM   #1344
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:

Old 26-07-21, 08:20 AM   #1345
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:

Quote:
The most bizarre thing is that those comments could've been made by WUMs and trolls and most likely not Liverpool fans
Definitely. I'm sure EVERY single player gets some kind of abuse on Twitter, as you say often its turds pretending to be supporters of other clubs.

Also if he left to feel loved then moving to PSG was a shit choice. Compared to us he will feel far less love and support.

I'm sorry but he clearly left largely for the money (so long as it was money from a club good enough to challenge for trophies, which PSG are).
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-21, 08:53 AM   #1346
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venton View Post
I genuinely thought that footballers would have coaching on how to avoid reading the cesspit that is twitter.
You would certainly hope so, I imagine that they must at least do it with the academy players even if they don't with first team.

I've mentioned this before but I don't really understand why footballers (or a number of other public figures) have publicly accessible social media accounts. It seems inevitable that when there is a negative story about you, you have a bad performance, miss a penalty or whatever the low life's are going to @ you in any abusive response. OK without the account people will still comment on the stories but you would at least then have to go looking for them rather than just logging into you account and them being there. I genuinely don't see what the up side of it is.
Old 26-07-21, 10:02 AM   #1347
BG1973
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
I loved Gini, but this little ruse to try hoodwink fans into believing the reason he left was because he got "abused" by a few idiots on social media and nothing to do with PSG giving him a big fat final pay day is really tarnishing his legacy with us.
He might actually be sincere.

Coupled with his opinion club not appearing to value him either, may have really got to him.

Doesnt make it seem any less childish from here.. but when already a bit of resentment, easy to be oversensitive.
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-21, 10:35 AM   #1348
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:

Come off it!

Just look at the comments on here for a start!
Old 26-07-21, 10:39 AM   #1349
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1973 View Post
He might actually be sincere.

Coupled with his opinion club not appearing to value him either, may have really got to him.

Doesnt make it seem any less childish from here.. but when already a bit of resentment, easy to be oversensitive.
No fans in Anfield wonít have helped either. He talks about how the fans in the stadium were great and always supportive. But no fans in stadiums for over a year, so the the only fan response he was getting was the online shit.

Also, needs to be repeated, he doesnít actually try to make out itís the reason he left.
Old 26-07-21, 10:40 AM   #1350
Pepe79
Shankly

Thank god for some sense.

Old 26-07-21, 10:54 AM   #1351
Paul12
Benitez

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboCairns View Post
Just call him a vole cunt and shut the thread.
I agree with the Melissa Reddy article. Humour and irony do not work very well on the internet so the second comment quoted here appears, at first glance, to show the first is untrue. (I am sure it wasn't intended to be a serios comment, so apologies for using it as an example here.) I know we mean most of the outrageous comments we make to be humourous but in this day and age we need to be careful. And I know football is an emotional game but excusing genuinely OTT comments on those grounds is just not right; no one would accept that excuse from me if, during an emotional moment in a game, I did violence to a relative of yours so we all know there are limits...the debate is over where those limits should be.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-21, 10:59 AM   #1352
RedReet

Quote:
Pearce wrote a decent piece too. Was going to share it, but it is obvious from a lot of the comments that a lot of people didn't read the original article, just read the headline and went straight for the pitchfork.

I do find it baffling though. He's always come across as honest, humble, always smiling, genuine good person. He shares some of his feelings on a subject none of us know any of the details, yet so many are quick to condemn him and call him a liar.
Old 26-07-21, 10:59 AM   #1353
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
I’m not sure about that. I’d say the people supporting him have been going down the social media abuse line to try and defend him against accusations of being greedy. If her point is simply that social media abuse is bad, then yeah, accepted, but like it or not, that is the real world now, and not just for celebrities. But criticism of a player for leaving for more money or ‘love’ is as old as the professional game, and avoidable abuse online doesn’t seem as bad as booing when returning to an old club, the more traditional method, but that’s individual I guess.

So let’s go with her conclusion, he left because of money and a fragile ego.

Boo

Last edited by Kenneth; 26-07-21 at 11:02 AM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-21, 11:21 AM   #1354
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Iím not sure about that. Iíd say the people supporting him have been going down the social media abuse line to try and defend him against accusations of being greedy. If her point is simply that social media abuse is bad, then yeah, accepted, but like it or not, that is the real world now, and not just for celebrities. But criticism of a player for leaving for more money or Ďloveí is as old as the professional game, and avoidable abuse online doesnít seem as bad as booing when returning to an old club, the more traditional method, but thatís individual I guess.

So letís go with her conclusion, he left because of money and a fragile ego.

Boo
Not at all. No doubt he left for more money, and he was completely entitled to, for reasons explained in the article. The defence has been against the sheer nonsense that heís supposed to have claimed the he left because of the online abuse or criticism. Again, this is spelt out in the article.

And thatís simply not her conclusion at all. Her conclusion is that he left to earn the wages he deserved and because he knows he own value. So letís go with that.

Yay.
Old 26-07-21, 11:21 AM   #1355
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

No crowds has also meant he hasn't received that instant gratification in stadiums for the past 18 months.

I'm amazed that footballers read the comments on Social Media tbh, totally reductive. I guess that is part of the problem, it is pandoras box with unverified and anonymous posts free to sat pretty much everything. It does seem as though he really wanted to stay.

Gini should have logged in here over the last few years almost universal praise, and from the absolute beginning from the likes of myself

If you are logged on to Est Gini - thanks for the memories!!!
Old 26-07-21, 11:54 AM   #1356
Rigadon
Shankly

It's disappointing that Gini felt undervalued at Liverpool. Of all our midfielders, Gini and Fabinho received the least amount of criticism.

Great memories during a very successful period at Liverpool. I wish him nothing but the best at PSG.
Old 26-07-21, 12:33 PM   #1357
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post
I agree with the Melissa Reddy article. Humour and irony do not work very well on the internet so the second comment quoted here appears, at first glance, to show the first is untrue. (I am sure it wasn't intended to be a serios comment, so apologies for using it as an example here.) I know we mean most of the outrageous comments we make to be humourous but in this day and age we need to be careful. And I know football is an emotional game but excusing genuinely OTT comments on those grounds is just not right; no one would accept that excuse from me if, during an emotional moment in a game, I did violence to a relative of yours so we all know there are limits...the debate is over where those limits should be.

I'm absolutely serious..

When I say he was a terrific player and gave 100% to the shirt.

He's a legend in my eyes and I hope he does well at PSG, bar winning big ears at our expense
Old 26-07-21, 12:57 PM   #1358
danperkins

Class player & a great attitude imo, so under rated. Had a poor season for sure but he was not alone in that. He's tough to replace.
Old 26-07-21, 02:36 PM   #1359
McDermotX
Paisley

This thread getting moved or will that hurt Gini's feelings ?
Old 26-07-21, 02:41 PM   #1360
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post
This thread getting moved or will that hurt Gini's feelings ?

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC