It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 14-01-19, 10:32 AM   #201
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

This is sad to watch. Reckon this will be his last match. He's fighting, but his body looks broken.
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 14-01-19, 10:47 AM   #202
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Outside chance he might try and bow out at Wimbledon, but I can't imagine he will want to if he isn't going to be competitive.

The end of an era.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 10:48 AM   #203
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Kyle Edmund lost to Berdych.
Old 14-01-19, 11:32 AM   #204
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Andy wins the third set, goes ballistic.

Its such a shame, because other than not being able to turn on one hip, he still has all the tools and attributes to be competing at the very top.
Old 14-01-19, 11:33 AM   #205
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Murray wins the 3rd set! Remarkable. Can't see him lasting another 2 sets though, limping in between points.

What a legend!
Old 14-01-19, 11:36 AM   #206
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
Murray wins the 3rd set! Remarkable. Can't see him lasting another 2 sets though, limping in between points.

What a legend!

So much Yeah, doubt his hip is looking forward to five sets.

He HAS to keep going to Wimbledon, will be much easier than hard court.

It feels like a fitting venue for him to go out. I reckon he can win a few early rounds there, if he gets a kind draw.

Last edited by Buzzo; 14-01-19 at 11:39 AM.
Old 14-01-19, 12:29 PM   #207
RichC
Meh

into the fifth set it goes.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 01:18 PM   #208
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

I shed a little tear at the end there.

Bit awks when he said he would try and make a comeback and then they played a video of a bunch of his fellow pros wishing him a good retirement
Old 14-01-19, 01:21 PM   #209
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Likewise

Sounds like there is a minuscule chance that he can make a comeback. But has a major operation to take on first.

I reckon he’d have had to pull out of he’d won today after 5 sets.
Old 14-01-19, 02:07 PM   #210
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

It was a bit weird at the end Obviously the odds are stacked against him but...

Old 21-01-19, 06:35 PM   #211
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

It’s kicked off a bit between Dan Evans and Jamie Murray...!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46943740
Old 27-01-19, 11:55 AM   #212
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

That was some display from Djokovic. Battered Nadal
Old 27-01-19, 12:08 PM   #213
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

15 Slams. Anyone think he can catch Federer's 20?

I could see him winning Wimbledon and the US this year, and those two plus Oz again next year. Think he'll go close.
Old 27-01-19, 01:28 PM   #214
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I think he can.

He is the best player around by a distance right now.

If he can stay fit for the next 3/4 years then he can do it.

Sooo frustrating for Andy - this would be the time for him to challenge and win some slams.
Old 27-01-19, 01:43 PM   #215
Zapater
Dalglish

Depends how he goes injury wise. He could get a few gimmies towards the end of his career like Federer got at the start of his. We are going to be somewhat between eras until the Zverev's, Tsitsipas' and Thiem's of the world mature and step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
I think he can.

He is the best player around by a distance right now.

If he can stay fit for the next 3/4 years then he can do it.

Sooo frustrating for Andy - this would be the time for him to challenge and win some slams.
Murray was (is?) a decent enough player, but even at best wouldn't have gotten near Nadal and Novak the way they played this tournament.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-19, 01:48 PM   #216
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
15 Slams. Anyone think he can catch Federer's 20?

I could see him winning Wimbledon and the US this year, and those two plus Oz again next year. Think he'll go close.
I think Rafa will still win a few French Opens but good grief he was poor today, even with Djokovic being the best I've seen to date.

Rafa looked like fodder today. A real chance for him to get to GOAT winning everything twice. Maybe that and Djokovic's game were too much pressure.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-19, 01:48 PM   #217
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Depends how he goes injury wise. He could get a few gimmies towards the end of his career like Federer got at the start of his. We are going to be somewhat between eras until the Zverev's, Tsitsipas' and Thiem's of the world mature and step up.

Murray was (is?) a decent enough player, but even at best wouldn't have gotten near Nadal and Novak the way they played this tournament.
Disagree.

At his best he was a level below them but hed still be challenging. And on occasion would bloody a few noses.
Old 27-01-19, 01:54 PM   #218
RichC
Meh

Nadal didn’t turn up today, played nowhere near the levels of earlier in the tournament. Djokovic worthy winner today but fuck me that was made easy for him.

Certainly going to be getting close to Federers 20 titles I think, wouldn’t rule out Nadal getting a bit closer as well

Really need to see the younger guys step up soon as the dominance of the top 3 men has now been for a ridiculous period of time.
Old 29-01-19, 10:16 AM   #219
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I see Andy has gone under the knife this week to have that hip resurfacing op.

So he is obviously hoping that this op gives him another chance at playing. Apparently Bob Bryan had the same op and returned to playing 6 months later.

No guarantees but it would be Andy Murray as fuck to actually be retired by the entire tour before coming back to compete at the top.

Fingers crossed
Old 29-01-19, 10:53 AM   #220
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I reckon this is more about improving his quality of life. Bob Bryan was a doubles player wasn't he, and I'm sure Murray was pretty clear that there'd be next to no hope of returning to top level singles after this op. Reckon he might make a swansong at Wimbledon but otherwise we're done.
Old 29-01-19, 11:10 AM   #221
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I tend to agree that it may be the end of the road, though reports are saying that he will rehab and see how he gets on.

I'd need to look out his exact quote, but this operation was as you say to get rid of pain thus increasing his quality of life, but that he didnt know how it would work in terms of playing, no way he wont look into it. He has apparently been keeping in touch with Bob Bryan who played doubles at the AO this year after having the same op.

The odds are heavily stacked against him, but you never know... Im not giving up hope until he unequivocally says he has retired

I'd have though almost zero chance of Wimbledon this year though as the recovery is apparently a minimum of 6 months.
Old 29-01-19, 11:18 AM   #222
RichC
Meh

I'd be shocked if Murray makes it back to anywhere near the top level if he did try to make it back to the tour.

I'd say this surgery is for his long term well being and quality of life. He's been World Number 1, won 3 majors and a double Olympic champion and not forgetting his rather healthy bank balance;unless he felt he could get right back to the top of the game I just don't think he'd risk it
Old 29-01-19, 11:19 AM   #223
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Poor Buzzo. I believe you're in stage 1 of your 7 stages of grief. Denial
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-19, 11:36 AM   #224
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Poor Buzzo. I believe you're in stage 1 of your 7 stages of grief. Denial

Old 06-03-19, 02:16 PM   #225
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Pain free now, post op.

Says rehab is going well and he's 'doing it for Buzzo'

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ying-prospects
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 02:21 PM   #226
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveloy View Post
Pain free now, post op.

Says rehab is going well and he's 'doing it for Buzzo'

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ying-prospects

It amazing what a bit of positive support can achieve.

It would be so amazing to see him back at the top. There must be a chance.

It would be his career as a metaphor of one of his matches if he bounces back from being retired at the Aus Open to compete at the top again.
Old 06-03-19, 02:26 PM   #227
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

That last quote gives you an insight into what he really thinks/hopes.

He was getting to Slam 1/4's on one leg. Anything is possible with 2.

Quote:
"I think it is possible to return to singles, but I don't want to say it is highly likely because it hasn't been done before. I can't look at another tennis player and say that guy has done it.

"The surgeons said I can try but couldn't give me any guarantees.

"The thing that gives me hope is that in Australia and in the past 18 months, my hip was in a really bad way and I was still able to compete and win matches against very good players."

"If my hip is better now and with less pain there is a chance I could do it again."
Old 06-03-19, 09:55 PM   #228
RichC
Meh

The reality is though he wasn’t was he; he wasn’t getting to the second week of slams with his issues certainly on a regular basis.

Can he crack on and challenge to win again ? Maybe but let’s see. He needs to prove to himself at the very least that he can at least compete let alone win.
Old 06-03-19, 10:22 PM   #229
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
The reality is though he wasn’t was he; he wasn’t getting to the second week of slams with his issues certainly on a regular basis.

Can he crack on and challenge to win again ? Maybe but let’s see. He needs to prove to himself at the very least that he can at least compete let alone win.

I’m talking about the last Wimbledon he played when he limped to the 1/4s (I appreciate that was 2 years ago Since he has been rehabbing and coming back he hasn’t been able to play back to back matches.

That said he took Roberto Bautista Agut to 5 sets in his ‘last’ match and Agut went to the 1/4s of the Aus Open.

The big question is fitness. Ability isn’t an issue. It would be amazing if he managed it.
Old 26-03-19, 06:40 PM   #230
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Nick Kyrgios

It's a legal serve

Old 26-03-19, 07:40 PM   #231
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Old 31-05-19, 10:34 PM   #232
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Been so immersed in the CL final build up, and I give so much less of a shit now Murray's not around, that I had absolutely no idea that not only has the French Open started - already, wtf?! - but they're into the 4th round already
Old 01-06-19, 07:47 AM   #233
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Been so immersed in the CL final build up, and I give so much less of a shit now Murray's not around, that I had absolutely no idea that not only has the French Open started - already, wtf?! - but they're into the 4th round already
Old 01-06-19, 09:07 AM   #234
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I’ve watched a bit.

Jo Khonta having her best tournament in France.

I’ve entered a box League and won my first two matches last weekend
Old 03-06-19, 05:11 PM   #235
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Lazarus begins his return

Quote:
Andy Murray is planning to make his return to competitive tennis in the doubles at the Fever-Tree Championships at Queen's Club later this month.

The Briton, 32, has not played since the Australian Open and had a hip resurfacing operation in January.

The former world number one, who has since said he is "pain-free", aims to play alongside Spain's Feliciano Lopez.

The tournament in London will start on Monday, 17 June - two weeks before Wimbledon begins.

BBC tennis correspondent Russell Fuller said: "I don't see this as the start of a doubles career but as a stepping stone.

"He's not ready for singles at all but I think he intends to give it a go later. It is incredibly early days. He's only been back in full training for two weeks.

"It's an obvious way to ease yourself back in, but who knows what will happen from here."

Three-time Grand Slam champion Murray had a hit with Australian Nick Kyrgios at Wimbledon last month and posted a video of him serving on grass on his Instagram account earlier this week.

Murray has said he could play doubles at Wimbledon but effectively ruled out competing in the singles this year.

Former British tennis player Naomi Cavaday says Murray will not want to feel any pressure on his return and that will be reflected in his choice of partner.

"In this particular situation Andy would have asked around the locker room to see who was set," said Cavaday.

"He wouldn't want to play with a serious doubles guy, then there is pressure on the match. He doesn't want pressure on the match, he just wants to play on court.

"So a singles guy who isn't solely focused on doubles means there isn't a huge pressure because that guy isn't trying to make a living."

The Scot had the hip resurfacing operation - which keeps more of the damaged bone than a hip replacement, smoothing the ball down and covering it with a metal cap - in London on 28 January.

Sixteen-time Grand Slam doubles champion Bob Bryan had the same surgery in 2018 and was back playing again, alongside twin brother Mike, five months later.

BBC Sport will have live coverage from the west London club across television, radio and online.
Old 04-06-19, 02:21 PM   #236
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Konta just obliterated Sloan Stephens 6-1, 6-4 to get to the semis of the French.
Old 05-06-19, 08:42 AM   #237
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Saw Murray related news on BBC Sport. Checked this thread. Saw Buzzo had posted. Chuckled to myself. Left.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 09:06 AM   #238
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Saw Murray related news on BBC Sport. Checked this thread. Saw Buzzo had posted. Chuckled to myself. Left.
Thanks for your contribution

I did also post about Jo Konta. She has an amazing chance of a final, and... if she plays like she did yesterday of winning.
Old 12-06-19, 01:14 PM   #239
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Planning his return to singles late 2019...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48609943
Old 12-06-19, 05:35 PM   #240
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Planning his return to singles late 2019...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48609943
Remember when they retired him in Melbourne

I really don't think he should bother though. He'll be nowhere near his level. It'll be like watching Ian Rush playing centre midfield on loan at Sheff United in 1998.

est1892 > General > General Sports