It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 20-06-15, 12:04 PM   #1
cream
Paisley

Joe Gomez

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC 1m1 minute ago
#LFC are delighted to announce the signing of England U19 international Joe Gomez from Charlton Athletic.

Shit just got real
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 20-06-15, 12:05 PM   #2
redmike65
Shankly

Yay!

Apparently he will do the pre-season with Liverpool but then get sent off on loan (Derby County linked)

No visible lean

redmike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 12:06 PM   #3
cream
Paisley

Joe Gomez ‏@J_Gomez97 1 min1 minute ago
Delighted to be joining @LFC ... An amazing club with great players! A dream come true for me. Looking forward to the new challenge ⚽️
Old 20-06-15, 12:07 PM   #4
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Apparently he had genuine offers from - as well as us - Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Bournemouth, and it was Bournemouth he was closest to joining because he loved Eddie Howe and his style of football, what with Gomez being a ball-playing CB. If that's true you can only admire him. Anyway he loved Brendan even more apparently so picked us.
Old 20-06-15, 12:07 PM   #5
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

I look forward to him being loaned and then sold.
Old 20-06-15, 12:08 PM   #6
Chazza
Des Lynam

Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 12:08 PM   #7
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Ace. He sounds brilliant, (a view backed up by Charlton fans not just media hype) so looking forward to seeing him.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 12:09 PM   #8
SK
I'm Slovakian really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike65 View Post

No visible lean

Welcome Joe, hope you do better than our previous Joes
SK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 12:11 PM   #9
BigChief
Paisley

[QUOTE=redmike65;3131597]Yay!

No visible lean

Represents good core strength and ability to hold oneself up in windy conditions. I like.
Old 20-06-15, 12:13 PM   #10
cream
Paisley

Apparently Bayern were after him too. If he's good enough for Pep, he's good enough for Bren.
Old 20-06-15, 12:14 PM   #11
redmike65
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
Apparently Bayern were after him too. If he's good enough for Pep, he's good enough for Bren.
T'was Dortmund not Bayern. (clearly another sign that Klopp is on his way! )

Blimey the offal was ready to rock

Quote:
Gomez: I'm buzzing to be at Liverpool

Joe Gomez exclusively explained why he considers Liverpool the ideal place to continue his rapid development after the defender sealed a permanent switch to Anfield today.

The 18-year-old joins the Reds from Championship outfit Charlton Athletic following a breakthrough season in which the England youth international played 24 senior games.

Once the ink was drying on his contract with the club, Gomez declared the decision to make the move and work under Brendan Rodgers' guidance an easy one.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.com, he also outlined his determination to learn from the experienced pros already here and quickly compete for a starting berth.

Joe, welcome to Liverpool FC - how does it feel to have joined the club?

It's a dream come true. It's a bit surreal and it hasn't really hit me yet. But I'm buzzing and just excited to get started.

Talk us through the last couple of days and weeks as this transfer has become a serious prospect...

I've known for a little while now and I've wanted to come here for a while as well. But as it has become more of a reality over the past few days and weeks, I've just been buzzing. I just wanted it to get done.

It sounds like it was an easy decision for you, but did you speak to your family about moving up to Liverpool?

All the close people around me - my mum, my dad, brothers and sisters and all my family - have been really supportive. They knew I really wanted to come here and they have backed me all the way. So it was an easy decision.

It all seems to have happened so fast for you - you only celebrated your 18th birthday last month and now you're at Liverpool...

The whole season really, from pre-season and getting to play there, then having the opportunity to come somewhere like this, has been amazing. I'm really enjoying it and I hope it keeps going from here.

The club has been following you for a while, tracking your progress. That must give you confidence right from the off in terms of settling in here?

Definitely. It's flattering to know that a massive club like this were interested in me. That was one of the main things - I knew how great the club is. That's why it was an easy decision to come here. To know that a place like this was interested and knew about me was great.

What were the key factors then, because there was a lot of speculation about clubs at home and abroad being interested in you - why was it Liverpool that you wanted to come to?

The club has got great history and it's a great club, and one that I've always been following from when I was young. The style of football and the top players here was somewhere that I wanted to go and get better and learn, and play good football. It was an easy decision.

Brendan Rodgers has regularly given chances to young players since he has been the manager. Was that a factor in your decision as well?

Yes, 100 per cent. Being a young player, I know that opportunities can be slim sometimes. But under a manager like Brendan, it speaks for itself. That's why I was really keen to come here and play under him.

Have you had a chance to speak to him yet?

I have met him once and he seemed really nice. It made me want to come here even more really. He just told me how good it is here and how he thinks he can help me get better, the opportunities I would get - things that would make me want to come to Liverpool.

For any fans who may not have seen you play, tell us what your skills are as a defender and what kind of player you are...

I like to think I'm a ball-playing centre-back who likes to be physical and has got a bit of pace. I'd like to say I'm a leader as well.

You're comfortable at centre-back and right-back. Have you got a preference and where do you see yourself in the long-term?

I made my debut and started playing at first last season at right-back. I really enjoyed it there because I like to get forward. But I definitely see myself as a centre-back, I feel more comfortable there and enjoy it there. So in the long-term, hopefully centre-back.

You have cited Rio Ferdinand as someone you have watched as a youngster. Have you tried to model yourself on that kind of ball-playing defender?

Definitely, he has been a great model. But just generally good defenders; coming up in that era, Jamie Carragher and even further back, Sami Hyypia. The history here speaks for itself.

You're stepping up from the Championship to the Premier League, after making 24 appearances last season. Do you think the competitive nature of that league will help you make the step up?

Yes, hopefully. The Championship has been a key part of my development; the physical aspect and how competitive it is has really helped me. I know the Premier League is obviously a step up but hopefully I can take it in my stride. I know the tempo and the aggression might be a bit higher, but I'm ready to learn and I'm sure training with quality players at Liverpool now is only going to help me get better. So I'm looking forward to it.

You'll need time to settle at a new club, of course, but do you think you're ready to compete for a place straight away?

Definitely, that's my aim. I want to come in and challenge and be involved. But I know that there's top-quality players and the centre-backs and defenders already here are great. I'd like to come in, do my best and learn from them.

There's plenty of experience in the Liverpool defensive ranks at the moment, in the likes of Kolo Toure and Martin Skrtel. What are you looking to learn from them?

They have had great careers. I'll be looking at them to get tips and learn from them about defending and being a defender. I'll just take it all on board. I'm willing to learn.

Have you had chance to allow yourself to think what it's going to be like when you step out at Anfield for the first time?

I can imagine how great the Kop is but I don't think anything would compare to actually doing it. That's something I look forward to, definitely.

Finally, what are your short-term aims and long-term ambitions at Liverpool?

To get involved in the team and challenge for a place. And make my debut as soon as possible. Long-term, to be a key part of the team and win trophies.
Claire with the questions no doubt

Last edited by redmike65; 20-06-15 at 12:21 PM.
Old 20-06-15, 12:14 PM   #12
Daffy Duck
Shankly

Looking forward to seeing him in pre-season!
Daffy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 12:19 PM   #13
cream
Paisley

Quote:
T'was Dortmund not Bayern. (clearly another sign that Klopp is on his way! )
My bad. If he was good enough for Klopp, He's good enough for Bren.
Old 20-06-15, 12:28 PM   #14
el matador
Facing the firing squad for suggesting Brian McBride as a transfer target!

I would give him a shot at right back as he has played there before with Charlton.
Old 20-06-15, 12:29 PM   #15
Daffy Duck
Shankly

How tall is he btw?
Daffy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 12:32 PM   #16
BigChief
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by el matador View Post
I would give him a shot at right back as he has played there before with Charlton.
I've got a sneaky feeling we've got in him for RB really. We're not playing Can there ever again and Manq/Wisdom/Flanno are not in favour. Clyne may or may not happen so Jomez it is then.

On that basis I can't see him going out on loan.
Old 20-06-15, 12:40 PM   #17
redmike65
Shankly

Amazing how people on the internet can be with their speculative nonsense. Liverpool will buy Clyne I'm 99% sure and if not they'll get Montoya.
Old 20-06-15, 12:47 PM   #18
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
Amazing how people on the internet can be with their speculative nonsense. Liverpool will buy Clyne I'm 99% sure and if not they'll get Montoya.
Amazing how people that can be 99% sure we will sign Clyne can be amazed that people speculate nonsense on the interwebs.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 12:52 PM   #19
redmike65
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChief View Post
I've got a sneaky feeling we've got in him for RB really. We're not playing Can there ever again and Manq/Wisdom/Flanno are not in favour. Clyne may or may not happen so Jomez it is then.

On that basis I can't see him going out on loan.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
Amazing how people that can be 99% sure we will sign Clyne can be amazed that people speculate nonsense on the interwebs.
Amazing how people..... (we could do this all day!)

Liverpool back line in 2016/17

-----Gomez--Ilori--Sakho

would be front foot to say the least - make it happen.
Old 20-06-15, 12:53 PM   #20
Rowan
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
Amazing that people who are amazed that people who are amazed that people who can be 99% sure we will sign Clyne can be amazed that people speculate nonsense on the interwebs can be amazed that they are amazed about said certainty on transfers and co-existing web based speculation. amazing!
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 20-06-15, 12:55 PM   #21
Exiled_red
Paisley

Welcome to LFC
Old 20-06-15, 12:57 PM   #22
Darkon
Football Expert

Welcome to the young lad. Looking forward to following him in the near future. Havn't seen him play once or heard much about him, so everything to look forward to

Loan back to the championship?
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 12:58 PM   #23
McDermotX
Paisley

Welcome to LFC Joe

Goodbye Joe
Old 20-06-15, 01:01 PM   #24
redmike65
Shankly

Addicts are arguing about whether the stated 3.5m fee is genuine or not.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discus...-liverpool/p14
Old 20-06-15, 01:07 PM   #25
G
Paisley

Welcome Joe. Give him game's in pre season. Ilori too. However I'll be surprised and very happy if this lad doesn't turn out to be the latest in a long line of young CB's who don't make it.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 01:16 PM   #26
Gibbo
Like a boss

Loads of people seem to rate him which is nice.

Once we've shipped off Coates we'll be swapping one of our gambles for another, im interested to see how he gets on.
Old 20-06-15, 01:46 PM   #27
Rigadon
Dalglish

Would rather keep him (and Ilori) in the first team squad and loan Lovren out to the Championship

Welcome Joe!
Old 20-06-15, 01:48 PM   #28
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Happy with this, everything has been steady so far but I think this lad at least has the chance of becoming something special. I hope he impresses in pre season, a year or 6 month loan and then into the first team next season if all goes to plan.
Old 20-06-15, 04:03 PM   #29
lickedlollipop
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post
Welcome to LFC Joe

Goodbye Joe

he'll never play for lfc probably (pre-season not included)
lickedlollipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 04:09 PM   #30
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
I look forward to him being loaned and then sold.
You're a miserable bugger these days
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 05:22 PM   #31
redmike65
Shankly

Phew!

Old 20-06-15, 05:25 PM   #32
McDermotX
Paisley

Yep......we have confirmation.

The eagle has landed.
Old 20-06-15, 05:36 PM   #33
Liverpel
Anything

Not the best lean I've seen, but welcome to the club young lad.
Old 20-06-15, 06:16 PM   #34
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK View Post

Welcome Joe, hope you do better than our previous Joes
Old 20-06-15, 06:29 PM   #35
SK
I'm Slovakian really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plod View Post
Was thinking more of Cole and Allen
SK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 06:30 PM   #36
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

I'd forgotten about Cole.
Old 20-06-15, 06:31 PM   #37
Liverpel
Anything

Joey Jones was pretty good.
Old 20-06-15, 06:34 PM   #38
Liverpel
Anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy Duck View Post
How tall is he btw?
Full name Joseph Dave Gomez[1]
Date of birth 23 May 1997 (age 18)[2]
Place of birth Catford, England[3]
Height 1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)[3]
Playing position Centre back
Old 20-06-15, 07:50 PM   #39
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigadon View Post
Would rather keep him (and Ilori) in the first team squad and loan Lovren out to the Championship

Welcome Joe!

this is the defensive leader we have been waiting for

disclaimer; he may not be the defensive leader we have been waiting for.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 08:04 PM   #40
dom9
Ant Pisser

Never heard of him.

I wonder if he reads this forum? Lots of people welcoming him so I hope he does.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC