It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 15-02-16, 11:32 PM   #41
Cormack74
Shankly

If those are mostly from corners we can safely say his goals to games ratio is going to get hammered when he joins us.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 15-02-16, 11:46 PM   #42
kingfunk
Doesnt subscribe to Craig's conspiracy theories!

I thought this was completed in January? Who did we sign in January who is coming in summer then?
Old 16-02-16, 12:01 AM   #43
Ams12
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfunk View Post
I thought this was completed in January? Who did we sign in January who is coming in summer then?

Grujic i believe.
Ams12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 12:25 AM   #44
kingfunk
Doesnt subscribe to Craig's conspiracy theories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ams12 View Post
Grujic i believe.

Ahhh Yes!!
Old 16-02-16, 12:32 AM   #45
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Klopp's signings so far...Caulker 6'3, Grujic 6'4, Matip 6'4
Old 16-02-16, 01:46 AM   #46
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It's noticeable how many Benteke clears when he's on! Not what you want your 32.5m forward's best attribute to be but....
One of the few players that can help you keep a clean sheet at both ends!
Old 16-02-16, 01:54 AM   #47
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
beef

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 02:13 AM   #48
Beastie
Houllier

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Beastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 03:07 AM   #49
Fernandinho
Where the bloody hell are ya?

Will be great to have a defender who scores. Sakho and Lovren seem to win so many headers from corners but never seem to get them on target. In tight games against the top clubs, so often a goal from a defender can be the difference which can have a huge difference on the points table at the end of the season.

Ideally everyone on the pitch should be capable of scoring the odd goal. Fullbacks and CBs included.
Old 16-02-16, 08:50 AM   #50
Assassin
Kloppite

Job Jol Andre Matip
Old 16-02-16, 08:55 AM   #51
Alex
Administrator

Apparently the 'p' in 'Matip' is silent.

Old 16-02-16, 08:57 AM   #52
I, Ravel Morrison
Fagan

Quote:
The big man likes his big men.

If his first year at Dortmund is anything to go by, we'll see a massive revamp of the squad, with height and built being a factor for new signings. In defense, Toure is leaving and at least one from the trio of Skrtel, Lovren and Sakho -- and I wouldn't be surprised to see both Skrtel and Sakho depart, for the reason they aren't that great in the air.
Old 16-02-16, 09:34 AM   #53
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Ravel Morrison View Post
The big man likes his big men.

If his first year at Dortmund is anything to go by, we'll see a massive revamp of the squad, with height and built being a factor for new signings. In defense, Toure is leaving and at least one from the trio of Skrtel, Lovren and Sakho -- and I wouldn't be surprised to see both Skrtel and Sakho depart, for the reason they aren't that great in the air.
His teams normally have one guy dominant in the air (Subotic) and one guy who can play (Hummels). I watch a lot of Dortmund and Hummels is not that great in the air.

I think Sakho will stay and if he can stay fit and have a consistent partner then we'll see the best of him. He can pass the ball out and is more than competent in the air. Matip also speaks French so might help in forming a defensive partnership at the start.
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 10:09 AM   #54
Fivex
The Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Apparently the 'p' in 'Matip' is silent.

Mati lad!

Hello mert.
Fivex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 10:09 AM   #55
I, Ravel Morrison
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
His teams normally have one guy dominant in the air (Subotic) and one guy who can play (Hummels). I watch a lot of Dortmund and Hummels is not that great in the air.

I think Sakho will stay and if he can stay fit and have a consistent partner then we'll see the best of him. He can pass the ball out and is more than competent in the air. Matip also speaks French so might help in forming a defensive partnership at the start.
Yeah, barring something unexpected, Sakho should stay. Sakho, Matip, Illori, Gomez and Lovren seem a solid mix. Mostly ball-playing and all front-footed defenders. Sakho and Lovren are a little injury-prone, so the others should get their share of playing time, and Illori, Gomez and Matip with their mobility and ball skills can be utilised at fullback and even DM.

I think height (and physique) will be more of a consideration for Klopp in the EPL; i.e., if he can help it, he'd prefer his primary two centre backs to be dominant in the air.

Last edited by I, Ravel Morrison; 16-02-16 at 10:11 AM.
I, Ravel Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 10:22 AM   #56
G
Paisley

We're forgetting the best CB we have which is clearly Lucas
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 10:34 AM   #57
I, Ravel Morrison
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
We're forgetting the best CB we have which is clearly Lucas
Forgot about him! I think he's a stayer because he can now provide solid backup in two areas. That means Allen is surely a goner and more question marks over Lallana and Milner.
Old 16-02-16, 10:51 AM   #58
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Get out of my club MUNCHKINS!!!!!!
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 12:25 PM   #59
breffniboy
Houllier

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Quality
breffniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 12:27 PM   #60
redmike65
Shankly

Kloppy will have artists at the front and artisans at the back.
redmike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 16-02-16, 02:53 PM   #61
Vermilion
Shooterista

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike65 View Post
Here is the slightly garbled translated reaction from the Schalke faithfull - a mix of emotions and quite a bit of anger aimed at various parties

https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
Someone on there's sig translates as....

Then came the penalty shoot-out. We all had the pants full, but when I ran it quite fluid.
(Paul Breitner)

Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 03:16 PM   #62
Vermilion
Shooterista

Couldn't find the obligatory, so looked for one to post...

@ the music. It's gets worse too, damn thing had me searching for other tabs or vids i thought were playing music by mistake in the background!!

Last edited by Vermilion; 16-02-16 at 03:18 PM.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-16, 04:07 PM   #63
redmike65
Shankly

Somewhere on the planet is a dungeon containing unemployed musicians chained to desks churning out the worst syncopated synth based shite imaginable for youtube football compilations. Maybe this is actually the dark secret of Guantanamo Bay
redmike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-16, 12:28 AM   #64
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...klopp-10902720

Quote:
Liverpool FC boss Jurgen Klopp confident Joel Matip will save him millions after beating off competition to land him

22:30, 16 FEB 2016
BY JAMES PEARCE

The German feels his new central defender is a steal on a free transfer and will save him from shelling out alternative options

Jurgen Klopp believes Liverpool have saved themselves millions of pounds by snapping up Joel Matip on a free transfer.

The Cameroon centre-back has agreed to join the Reds when his contract with Schalke expires this summer.

Klopp, who was the driving force behind bringing Matip to Anfield, says Liverpool beat off some serious competition to secure his signature.

And the Reds boss is convinced the deal represents great business for a combative defender who boasts more than six years of Bundesliga experience.

It was an easy choice, Klopp said. He's 24, he's played around 200 Bundesliga games, he's played Champions League, played Europa League and was a German Cup winner in 2011.

He wanted a new challenge and he's made big steps in his development in the last few years.

He's become a really experienced centre-half tall at 1.98m, but flexible and quick. A perfect header of the ball, he scores four or five goals a season, and is good in the build-up.

I know in England it is really difficult to sign a player without paying a transfer fee but I thought it cannot be a reason not to take him just because you cannot put a number behind his name.

If you asked in Germany what other clubs would have paid for him had he still been under contract, you can just take that number.

It's clear there were a lot of other clubs interested. In Germany, for a player of his quality, who is out of contract, there is a lot of competition.

Maybe Schalke aren't too famous in England but in Germany they're a big club who have played the last four or five years in the Champions League. They made him a big offer to stay, they wanted to keep him.

There are probably only three or four clubs in Germany who could get a player like Matip when he is at Schalke Dortmund, and that's not possible, Bayern, maybe Leverkusen and maybe Wolfsburg. Finish.

The rest, no chance. Then you have to think about other countries and that is what he wanted to do, and we moved early enough. You should watch him on YouTube.

Asked if Matip was his choice rather than a name put forward by other members of the transfer committee, Klopp's response was an emphatic: Yes.

Having admired him when the defender played for Borussia Dortmund's arch rivals Schalke, the Reds boss believes he's perfectly equipped to deal with the demands of Premier League football.

He's a high quality centre-half, Klopp added.

You cannot play in a club like Schalke for six years, always in the starting line-up, without having big quality.

If it was one, two or three years ago when he was under contract he would not have been ready for a change but I knew about his thoughts.

I knew he was thinking about doing something else because he had been with Schalke since the youth team in 2000 - a long time and he wanted to do something completely different.

This was our chance, but for sure there were a lot of clubs interested in him. It's good because he knows that I know him, and it is not a coincidence or something else.

He won't be coming here having to show the manager special things, but of course he has to work hard and improve. He can be a really good centre-half in the Premier League.

Germany-born Matip, who has 27 caps for Cameroon, is Klopp's second signing following the 5.1million January deal for midfielder Marko Grujic, who was loaned back to Red Star Belgrade until May.

There will be more to follow ahead of next season but Klopp doesn't envisage a summer as busy as 2015 when Liverpool made seven new signings.

"I don't have a number in mind," he added.

"We have to make solutions and we will make solutions. Also maybe players will make solutions and say they do not want to be here any more, so you have to be prepared.

"But seven really sounds a lot. We have enough strikers five with Roberto (Firmino) but not too many wingers, just a few young ones with great potential.

"We have to decide early and at the right moment on transfers, but it is about a squad where you can play different systems and react to different situations.

"It always changes. We went into this season with five centre-halves if you think of Joe (Gomez) and then at one stage we seemed to only have one and a half!

"It was like who can we play? So you prepare as much as possible and look for the highest quality you can get."
Old 17-02-16, 02:00 AM   #65
baitman
Daddy day care

piss poor highlights video. almost always leaves the other player on the deck, i see plenty of penalties.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-16, 09:57 AM   #66
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
piss poor highlights video. almost always leaves the other player on the deck, i see plenty of penalties.
That first challenge

I was wondering if Schalke had put this video together to put clubs off buying him
Old 17-02-16, 10:17 AM   #67
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Matippia
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-16, 10:36 AM   #68
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Klopp loves him!! A few more months of Marty at most then it's over!!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-16, 10:41 AM   #69
Alex
Administrator

Klopp has always maintained a good team starts with a solid defence. So hopefully its the thing he addresses first (It seems to be)
Old 17-02-16, 11:08 AM   #70
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Klopp has always maintained a good team starts with a solid defence. So hopefully its the thing he addresses first (It seems to be)
Most good teams do, it's good to see us going back to basics and looking to build from the back.

A new keeper would certainly be nice for this
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-16, 11:11 AM   #71
Alex
Administrator

I feel like a new keeper is like a watched pot. If we keep thinking about it, itll never happen.
Old 17-02-16, 12:06 PM   #72
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Most good teams do, it's good to see us going back to basics and looking to build from the back.

A new keeper would certainly be nice for this
I think that both Houllier and Rafa said something similar when they first arrived, gives me confidence really, no use having a fancy attack if you can't defend.
Old 24-02-16, 11:11 PM   #73
Cormack74
Shankly

Hadn't ever seen Matip (well maybe I had without paying him any attention but anyway).

So I recorded the weekend game against Stuttgart and just finished it this evening. I'm going to try and do the same for the remainder of the season and presuming I do I'll provide updates for those that don't have access to the Bundeslegia.

He started the game in true LFC defender style - first involvement was an ugly slice out of play and the second was failing to pick up a Stuttgart player in the box who should have scored.

Thankfully he improved thereafter. He's strong, doing a very good job shepperding out of play one of the opposing attackers who had got into a dangerous position on the byline and an equally good job putting in a block on a fella who was in the area and bearing down on goal.

Also looked good bringing the ball out and his longer passes were generally accurate although he seemed to exclusively favour hitting the ball right to left.

Potentially he's a threat in the opposition penalty box and had three (possibly 4) headers at goal from dead ball situations. Unfortunately even though they were all from 8 yards or less he didn't manage to hit the target with any of them and really should have.

Overall a six or a six and a half. Early days though.
Old 25-02-16, 12:41 AM   #74
Lee
Chunder camel

Interesting. Cheers for posting that.

Did he play on the right or the left side? Did he look pacy?
Old 25-02-16, 07:22 PM   #75
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Interesting. Cheers for posting that.

Did he play on the right or the left side? Did he look pacy?
On the right. In fact I can't remember him using his left foot but that might just be coincidence.

Difficult to tell if he is pacy. He didn't get into a situation where he had to run back to cover where it would have been obvious. Equally when he ran with the ball into midfield there was nothing to suggest that he was especially fast however he did seem to eat up the yards.

I guess if you're six four and solid it takes a bit of momentum to get going but once you're into your stride you cover the ground at a reasonable rate just by having a decent length of stride.
Old 25-02-16, 07:31 PM   #76
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Good idea, from watching him in the past and not at all this year I remember a clumsy player who I thought was a bit of a calamity. From most reports it seems he has improved no end and maybe I caught more of his bad days just by chance.

Keep us informed, I'm going to try and catch a few of his games whenever I can.
Old 25-02-16, 08:30 PM   #77
peekay
Dr.

DW Sports ‏@dw_sports 6s6 seconds ago
63' - GOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Schalke are heading out of the Europa League... 0-2 Shakhtar. Big mistake from Matip
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-16, 08:37 PM   #78
Gibbo
Like a boss

About right
Old 25-02-16, 08:59 PM   #79
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Every single time I have watched him at CB he makes mistakes. He should be played at DM.
Old 25-02-16, 09:06 PM   #80
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
Every single time I have watched him at CB he makes mistakes. He should be played at DM.
Who, Matip?
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC