It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 25-02-16, 10:06 PM   #81
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Who, Matip?
much better option at DM where he had previously played. Imo anyways. Think we need to buy another CB still.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 26-02-16, 10:01 AM   #82
labourRed
Shankly

He had a poor game last night by all accounts. I saw his defence (lack of) of the long ball. Worrying. His position was fine but he chose the wrong option entirely, a simple ball to the full back would have been simple but tried to play it forward which was unnecessarily risky even if it weren't for a gaffe, quite why he thought a header was the best option is beyond me - a howler.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-16, 10:30 AM   #83
Muddled
Meat Shield

Judging Matip's performances may not paint the full picture.

It's going to be inevitable that people will take a closer eye to Matip and his games for Schalke, but he's going to be seeing the season out. Whilst it might not be at the forefront of his mind, he's going to be hopeful not to get injured; his head will be full of Liverpool thoughts and his heart may not be in it.

It will be like the folk who judged Origi on his time on loan at Lille.
Muddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-16, 02:51 PM   #84
Cormack74
Shankly

Well maybe a bit but Matip is playing in a much better team.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-16, 02:54 PM   #85
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

It certainly seems quite early to be writing him off
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-16, 03:06 PM   #86
redmike65
Shankly

So he's shit then? Ah well. Play Lucas as the CB and Matip in DM
redmike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-16, 03:08 PM   #87
ntto
Dalglish

defensive mistake? haha you couldn't Matip stuff up
ntto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-16, 03:22 PM   #88
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

I know this forum can be demanding but expectations might be a slight bit high if we are expecting a defender or any human being for that matter to never make a mistake!! For what it's worth a few of my lids were speaking to people in Munich before we played Augsburg and they all rated him. It seems to only be Skrtel fans on internet forums that are his biggest critics.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-16, 04:12 PM   #89
redmike65
Shankly

I'm only joshing! Others are not
Old 26-02-16, 04:43 PM   #90
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Nobody's expecting Baresi & certainly nobody is writing him off.

Obviously i've said previous that he makes mistakes in defensive areas sometimes when i've seen him in the past but I certainly wouldn't judge him on one game. People will notice these mistakes more, now that he will be playing for us next season. Schalke aren't good defensively & haven't been in previous years.

There is nothing wrong with admitting that he is prone to defensive errors, which he can be fro what i've seen of him & what I've read in previous scouting reports. Not everyone that signs for Liverpool F.C. has to be god or the next big thing. Some players are immune of EST and others not so much.

He's versatile, great in the air, quick and decent on the ball... and has played at DM previous which is great.... hopefully he can do well for us. His positional sense is what I would worry about. Don't really care if he made a mistake last night and people are up in arms about it, defenders make mistakes ... it happens.

Anyways, he was in the half year team of the half year & a mate of a mate girlfriend's fella overheard a bloke in a cafe toilet talking to another bloke on the shitter.... saying that he's ace
Old 26-02-16, 07:48 PM   #91
CJ
Shadow Inanity Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I know this forum can be demanding but expectations might be a slight bit high if we are expecting a defender or any human being for that matter to never make a mistake!! For what it's worth a few of my lids were speaking to people in Munich before we played Augsburg and they all rated him. It seems to only be Skrtel fans on internet forums that are his biggest critics.
Lids?
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-16, 08:40 PM   #92
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
Lids?
Bin lid = kid
Old 26-02-16, 08:50 PM   #93
CJ
Shadow Inanity Secretary

I know
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 12:19 AM   #94
Cormack74
Shankly

Just caught up with Schalke's game v E. Frankfurt which ended 0-0.

Matip played on the right side of a back four again and on the negative side a couple of his defensive clearances left a bit to be desired and early on he committed himself when there wasn't any need to which could have been costly but for an offside.

Those apart his defending was pretty sound. He made good ground to snuff out a threat when his CB partner was caught out and later hooked the ball out of the yard box in timely manner with an EF forward waiting to pounce. There were few chances to produce any offensive headers but he was very assured on the ball and within the space of a few minutes put decent balls through the inside left, centre and inside right channels. The pass through inside right was particularly good and indicative of a decent touch and composure.

Actually he was a bit over composed at one stage and had a clearance blocked when he was closed down despite having had the chance to get the ball away.

The other thing I noticed tonight is that he's quite vocal. He gave it both barrels to team mates on a couple of occasions. I could quite easily see him making Mig cry.
Old 01-03-16, 10:53 AM   #95
Tribute
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
I could quite easily see him making Mig cry.
...beats Mig making 45,000 inside Anfield regularly cry
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-16, 05:54 PM   #96
redmike65
Shankly

Just watched most of the Koln v Schalke game. Ended 1-3 win. Matip was dealing with Modeste who is a big quick unit and did pretty well, he went up for the dead balls and nearly got on the end of a couple, while he made some nice passes out of the back. They looked a bit dodge at the back but most of the weakness was on the left side of defence - Neustšdter and HÝjbjerg were poor at times. Max Meyer on the other hand looks a prospect - a bit small though.
Old 05-03-16, 07:50 PM   #97
Cormack74
Shankly

Well done Mike: saved me a job this week
Old 05-03-16, 09:20 PM   #98
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike65 View Post
Just watched most of the Koln v Schalke game. Ended 1-3 win. Matip was dealing with Modeste who is a big quick unit and did pretty well, he went up for the dead balls and nearly got on the end of a couple, while he made some nice passes out of the back. They looked a bit dodge at the back but most of the weakness was on the left side of defence - Neustšdter and HÝjbjerg were poor at times. Max Meyer on the other hand looks a prospect - a bit small though.
Schalke are the flavour of the month but could be the German Southampton for us as we are linked to so many of their players!

How are Leon Gorexzka & Sane playing? HÝjbjerg also highly rated but he is on Bayern's books!
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-16, 09:47 PM   #99
redmike65
Shankly

Sane, who came on at 60 mins was lively enough down the right flank - though not so much as to make me want to see him brought at huge expense. Leon Goretzka was'nt in the squad, he dislocated a shoulder in the EL last week.
Old 05-03-16, 11:39 PM   #100
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Sane, who came on at 60 mins was lively enough down the right flank - though not so much as to make me want to see him brought at huge expense. Leon Goretzka was'nt in the squad, he dislocated a shoulder in the EL last week.
Thanks - missed that about Goretzka, haven't seen much sports this week!
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 15-03-16, 11:41 PM   #101
Cormack74
Shankly

Just got round to watching him play v Hertha (lost 2-0).

Couple of defensive headers, couple of blocks, sold himself too easily to allow Kalou to almost set up an opening goal and possibly could have tried to clear with his left foot rather than his right which might have prevented the actual opening goal.

Not much more to report and probably only 5 out of 10 this week.
Old 16-03-16, 12:43 AM   #102
BigChief
Paisley

Sheesh, sounding like we're getting what we paid for!
Old 16-03-16, 03:16 PM   #103
Cormack74
Shankly

Actually he looks like he's got something - assurance on the ball certainly and he appears to be trying to organise so he's not without hope. Maybe more of a DM although TBF I've only watched him about 4 times
Old 23-03-16, 10:43 PM   #104
Cormack74
Shankly

Didn't catch the Schalke game last weekend. Did anyone else see how he got on?
Old 24-03-16, 12:08 AM   #105
redmike65
Shankly

Sorry.
Old 24-03-16, 03:36 AM   #106
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Didn't catch the Schalke game last weekend. Did anyone else see how he got on?
Proper end to end stuff apparently. A comical own goal set up buy one of our targets (Nordveit), Xhaka doing very well and Matip probably just letting them play through him (couldn't find more information on him).

I just read that Arsenal are in talks with Xhaka. Disappointing if true.
Old 24-03-16, 07:59 AM   #107
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Proper end to end stuff apparently. A comical own goal set up buy one of our targets (Nordveit), Xhaka doing very well and Matip probably just letting them play through him (couldn't find more information on him).

along with them signing Kroos forget it
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-16, 08:09 AM   #108
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Sorry.
I was expecting more from you Mike
Old 24-03-16, 08:11 AM   #109
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post

Sounds like the wrong week to miss it.
Old 12-04-16, 10:36 PM   #110
Cormack74
Shankly

Only just got round to watching Schalke's games from the last couple of weeks.

The Ingolstadt fixture he was up against his brother who plays in the same position. Our Joel headed over (as usual) early on from a free kick. He's good at attacking the ball in the opponents box and equally good at missing the target. Committed what looked like a professional foul after half an hour but didn't get booked then narrowly failed to get on the end of a free kick at the other end. Finished the half with a cracking 50 yard pass to Sane before failing to track Hinterseer's run as Ingl' scored their second.

Began the second half with what was almost a peach of a pass into the box before his CB partner gift wrapped Ingl's third. Made a decent block near the end but didn't have alot to do other than getting booked for a challenge from behind . Assured on the ball again and could well be a better DM option than a CB.
Old 12-04-16, 11:24 PM   #111
Cormack74
Shankly

V Dortmund, relatively quiet first half save for a couple of defensive headers and interceptions. In the second, couldn't prevent Mikitirian's (sp?) assist for Kagawa's goal but made an excellent block on Miki R shortly after Dortmund scored a second. Then half fluffed a back pass and almost let Aubemayang in before allowing the same player to get goal side almost resulting in him scoring.

Not sure he's better than what we've got defensively. His attributes look more suited a bit further forward.
Old 13-04-16, 12:29 AM   #112
brightred
Befuddled

I trust Jurgen to make that decision!
Old 13-04-16, 08:55 AM   #113
Muddled
Meat Shield

I believe Hummels spent some time as a defensive midfielder before Klopp played him defence and utilised Hummel's passing ability as a springboard for many of their attacks. Perhaps Klopp has a similar idea in mind with Matip.
Old 13-04-16, 09:04 AM   #114
kev776
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddled View Post
I believe Hummels spent some time as a defensive midfielder before Klopp played him defence and utilised Hummel's passing ability as a springboard for many of their attacks. Perhaps Klopp has a similar idea in mind with Matip.
All German central defenders will have played in midfield at some time of their development, it is a normal method of developing players, rarely will a kid who enters their youth team system stay in one area of the pitch.
kev776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-16, 10:35 AM   #115
Muddled
Meat Shield

Yeah, it's not unusual for a player to become a professional footballer in a different position to what they played growing up (a left winger becoming a left back, a tall forward becoming a centre back). I wasn't aware of the German system, but it's always good to learn.

I just wondered if Klopp sees some of Hummels in Matip and we'll see a lot of our attacking play start through Matip and if so, is he a certain starter and who is his partner?
Old 19-04-16, 08:08 AM   #116
Cormack74
Shankly

Had a stab at watching Schalke's game v Bayern but fell asleep. From the bit I did see he was on the left of a back three and it didn't suit him not least because he doesn't have a left foot. Distributed well with his right again though: CM would suit him better IMO.
Old 19-04-16, 08:19 AM   #117
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddled View Post
Yeah, it's not unusual for a player to become a professional footballer in a different position to what they played growing up (a left winger becoming a left back, a tall forward becoming a centre back). I wasn't aware of the German system, but it's always good to learn.

I just wondered if Klopp sees some of Hummels in Matip and we'll see a lot of our attacking play start through Matip and if so, is he a certain starter and who is his partner?
I've been convinced for a while that it will be Lovren.

He's a consistent performer, and you know what you're going to get from him every game - aggression in the air, clearing your lines, just no nonsense defending. Matip would add the playmaking element. I think for the third Reus goal against us, the assist came from Hummels, who moved up the pitch and slid the ball through.

It's nothing against Sakho, as he has the ability to produce monstrous performances, but there's also an uncertainty as to which Sakho is going to turn up. Having three centre-backs in Lovren, Matip, and Sakho will be superb.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-16, 08:49 AM   #118
frank the tank
Shankly

i wonder will we see 3 centre backs start more frequently?? Especially at home when Matip could effectively become the player that brings the ball into midfield and starts attacks.

In reality though, having Sakho Matip and Lovren will be a good conundrum for Klopp.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-16, 09:34 PM   #119
redmike65
Shankly

Didn't see the game but Matip played a Brazil '70 style assist today in 3-1 win.

http://videa.hu/videok/sport/schalke...tart=10.652789
Old 17-05-16, 11:49 PM   #120
Cormack74
Shankly

V Hoffenheim, a bit lax defensively. Inclined to follow the ball rather than the man not for the first time this season in the games I've seen. Hansenesque run to half way and sumptuous through ball for the first goal plus his usual header over the bar from a set piece. Never especially keen to use his left foot which almost caused issues a couple of times. His performances definitely seem to follow the same pattern.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC