It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 22-07-16, 07:01 PM   #1
redmike65
Shankly

Georginio Wijnaldum

Quote:
James Pearce Verified account ‏@JamesPearceEcho 2m2 minutes ago

#LFC have completed £25m deal for Newcastle's Georginio Wijnaldum. He has penned 5 year deal and will wear No 5. Flying to US this weekend.

Last edited by redmike65; 22-07-16 at 07:06 PM.
redmike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 22-07-16, 07:08 PM   #2
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Excited by this!!
Old 22-07-16, 07:10 PM   #3
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah I'm happy with this signing too. Intriguing to see where he will fit in!
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 07:13 PM   #4
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Boom! Two signings in one day! Getting shit done.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 07:18 PM   #5
labourRed
Shankly

I've seen little of him but struck me of bang average so naturally unsure but you make enough signings you'd hope a few stick.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 07:20 PM   #6
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Takes the no 5 shirt.

Attachment 3101

Last edited by Buzzo; 21-03-17 at 08:16 PM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 07:41 PM   #7
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Decent.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 07:44 PM   #8
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Interesting.

He's pacey, direct at times, powerful and fairly composed.

Having said that I didn't really rate him, his stats last season at Newcastle were very good but its difficult to judge players moving from a team at the bottom end of the table.

A concern I have is that he's yet another player on our books who's best or preferred position is in the number 10 role.

I trust Klopp and fully support him but its worth pointing out this is the type of signing that can go on to define a managers time at a club. You rarely get away with too many £20m+ players not performing, we now have Mane and Wijnaldum who both fall into that category and both have question marks over them.

Hopefully Klopp's plan for him work out and we'll all be calling it a masterstroke in 6 months time.
Old 22-07-16, 07:51 PM   #9
leo
Houllier

He's going to help us win the league
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 07:52 PM   #10
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce View Post
Excited by this!!
Me too!

I think he's going to be brilliant for us. Never seen a player look so happy to sign for us ha ha!

His finishing reminds me of Suarez, very clinical but I do worry about his desire and work ethic.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 08:01 PM   #11
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Will bring in more goals and some more pace and power. If he's bit more consistent could be a shrewd buy. We don't usually have many Dutch players
Old 22-07-16, 08:13 PM   #12
nineteen
Houllier

He was linked with us loads of times during the Rafa era. Finally gets his big move. With better players around him there's no reason to think he couldn't improve on 11 goals and 5 assists.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 08:37 PM   #13
brightred
Befuddled

Hmmm, hard to judge this one.

He's either going to be brilliant or shite.
Old 22-07-16, 08:54 PM   #14
G
Paisley

We've seen and heard fuck all from Ian Ayre this summer and we are getting deals done with the minimum of fuss. I like it. I like this lad, goals from midfield is a huge thing that we've been lacking bar big Phil so this will help a lot. Firmino too but most of his goals came while playing up front so remains to be seen if he can do it from further back regularly.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 08:57 PM   #15
Deano
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
We've seen and heard fuck all from Ian Ayre this summer .
He's on gardening leave
Old 22-07-16, 08:57 PM   #16
redmike65
Shankly

Quote:
We've seen and heard fuck all from Ian Ayre this summer and we are getting deals done with the minimum of fuss. I like it. I like this lad, goals from midfield is a huge thing that we've been lacking bar big Phil so this will help a lot. Firmino too but most of his goals came while playing up front so remains to be seen if he can do it from further back regularly.
True, hadn't occurred to me. If he is beavering away on the sponsorship for the new stand and doing dealios in the far east then all the better.
Old 22-07-16, 09:02 PM   #17
G
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
He's on gardening leave
Is that fact?

I felt like something was up due the the way we've gone about our business, things like buy back clauses which we've never done before, deals done without fuss, his mush not all over the press releases etc. It would a long period of gardening leave though, a full year?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 09:51 PM   #18
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
Is that fact?

I felt like something was up due the the way we've gone about our business, things like buy back clauses which we've never done before, deals done without fuss, his mush not all over the press releases etc. It would a long period of gardening leave though, a full year?
He's got a big lawn to mow - but chill; he has one of these....

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 10:30 PM   #19
BigChief
Paisley

Surprisingly a few posters on Redcafe calling this a decent purchase for us. Including non Utd fans too. Well Im surprised anyway.

We had a high number of shots last season but very poor goals return. Grujic, Mane and Winny have addressed that in one fell swoop. Whether they do the business for us no one can predict, but the correct steps have been taken.

There's only so long we can watch Hendo, Lallana and Coutts feck up shot after shot before the penny drops.
Old 22-07-16, 10:47 PM   #20
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Very happy that we got him. Perfect player imho in terms of being ready to make a big step up.

Basically am as happy to see him join as I was to see Clyne join last summer.
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 23-07-16, 12:15 AM   #21
baitman
Daddy day care

he has done well for newcastle playing on the left, but you can see from this video he is playing more central and he is controlling the game.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 02:32 AM   #22
SB
Paisley

Another signing sorted in good time. Really pleased we are getting business done in a proper professional manner.
Old 23-07-16, 04:48 AM   #23
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChief View Post
Surprisingly a few posters on Redcafe calling this a decent purchase for us. Including non Utd fans too. Well Im surprised anyway.

We had a high number of shots last season but very poor goals return. Grujic, Mane and Winny have addressed that in one fell swoop. Whether they do the business for us no one can predict, but the correct steps have been taken.

There's only so long we can watch Hendo, Lallana and Coutts feck up shot after shot before the penny drops.
The same Coutinho who had a better goals to game ratio in the league than any of them last year?
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 07:48 AM   #24
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
The same Coutinho who had a better goals to game ratio in the league than any of them last year?
Coutinho had a decent scoring record last season, but for me his finishing isn't good enough, he gets himself into some great positions and often his finishing lets him down. He got to 10 goals, but IMO with the chances he had he probably should have got close to double that.
Old 23-07-16, 08:15 AM   #25
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Coutinho had a decent scoring record last season, but for me his finishing isn't good enough, he gets himself into some great positions and often his finishing lets him down. He got to 10 goals, but IMO with the chances he had he probably should have got close to double that.
Maybe, although it's getting better every year and Mane's shooting was much worse when off form last year and I'm guessing Wijnaldum suffered similar problems away from home. My point is you can't praise those players for their shooting and criticise Coutinho in the same sentence.

Coutinho also spread his out over the course of the season (only one double), so was arguably more consistent than the others, who went through a couple of purple patches.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 06:12 PM   #26
lickedlollipop
Shankly

Welcome
lickedlollipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 06:20 PM   #27
Ams12
Dalglish

Let's hope he helps us Wijnaldum games to clinch the league this year!
Ams12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 06:35 PM   #28
TheElephantMan
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ams12 View Post
TheElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 07:04 PM   #29
~LFCHistory~
Fagan

Premier league proven
~LFCHistory~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 07:52 PM   #30
brightred
Befuddled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ams12 View Post
Old 23-07-16, 11:02 PM   #31
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Old 24-07-16, 06:18 PM   #32
Nicey
Paisley

Old 21-08-16, 11:23 AM   #33
el matador
Facing the firing squad for suggesting Brian McBride as a transfer target!

I'm still trying to figure out what this lad should be doing in our team. What's his role in the because he's a neat and tidy player, he's got some decent attributes but I cant see what he should be doing.
Old 21-08-16, 11:31 AM   #34
redmike65
Shankly

I thought he's was going to be a Kevin Großkreutz type figure - no particular position every week but could work around the midfield esp on the left half. He's not a deeper CM anyway that's a waste. Does Klopp have the nous to convert him in to one?
Old 21-08-16, 11:54 AM   #35
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike65 View Post
I thought he's was going to be a Kevin Großkreutz type figure - no particular position every week but could work around the kkkmidfield esp on the left half. He's not a deeper CM anyway that's a waste. Does Klopp have the nous to convert him in to one?
I would have said that the Großkreutz 'role' the squad would be Milner and if you are looking for Dortmund comparisons then GW is more similar in style to Kagawa possibly.
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-16, 11:58 AM   #36
redmike65
Shankly

I see your point but Milner is surely in his last season at the club so if he wants someone to fill that role in the medium term then I'd say Wijnaldum is probably that player.
Old 21-08-16, 12:01 PM   #37
danperkins

Until he's actually played in his proper position it's hard to judge. Looks lost playing so deep.
Old 21-08-16, 12:27 PM   #38
badpiggy
Paisley

I don't get him. He's just a man on a pitch playing football. So is Henderson.
Old 21-08-16, 01:57 PM   #39
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
Until he's actually played in his proper position it's hard to judge. Looks lost playing so deep.
I think it'll be next year before we see him playing further forward. It looks like we've settled on him being a stop gap, which is why I kept saying he'll play alongside Can.

Inter won't sell Brozovic, and Dahoud isn't leaving BMG this year. Both may attract more attention next year from European powerhouses, so we'll have to see.

Klopp had Bender and Kehl at Dortmund, both of whom could tackle aggressively, but also press. We don't really have anyone like that, although I think Can is being remodeled into that. Henderson is being asked to play a deeper role, when perhaps, he should be the backup to the maim box-to-box player.

It does look imbalanced at the moment, but it's early days.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-16, 02:04 PM   #40
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07 View Post
I think it'll be next year before we see him playing further forward. It looks like we've settled on him being a stop gap, which is why I kept saying he'll play alongside Can.

Inter won't sell Brozovic, and Dahoud isn't leaving BMG this year. Both may attract more attention next year from European powerhouses, so we'll have to see.

Klopp had Bender and Kehl at Dortmund, both of whom could tackle aggressively, but also press. We don't really have anyone like that, although I think Can is being remodeled into that. Henderson is being asked to play a deeper role, when perhaps, he should be the backup to the maim box-to-box player.

It does look imbalanced at the moment, but it's early days.

Yeah a few have been saying Klopp wants the team to work as a unit, lots of athletic players working hard. That's all well and good but he has always played with a dedicated DM. None of our lads bar Lucas (who can't run anymore) can provide that defensive cover we blatantly need. We need a DM badly, it's so fucking obvious.

Can, Hendo and Wijnaldum all have progressive games, I've been saying this since Klopp came in it's shackling them and negating their best qualities by trying to remodel them into something they are not.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC