It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 13-05-18, 10:32 AM   #41
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
To be fair I don't think that it can be so much about the money, surely it has to be about game time and experience. Unless you are likely to be someone who can be an instant impact or you get your chance because of an injury to player ahead of you(TAA). Your likely path with a club like us is likely to be some combination of:
- reserve team football
- a few league cup games
- the occasional PL game on the bench and if you are lucky 10 mins on the pitch
- a number of loan moves (which tend to be very hit or miss recently)

I can see why this might be frustrating, if you have the option to play elsewhere and get games in the same side for a few years, it gives you the opportunity to develop, showcase your talent and if you are good enough you can get a move somewhere bigger.
Yeah I see that. Trouble is that they take a percieved step down and reckon on being the difference at a place like Watford. Then it becomes apparent they're not as good as they thought they were and the downward spiral starts.
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 13-05-18, 10:54 AM   #42
Irishnev
Shankly

These guys well connected in Germany, saying Bayern in the mix. Hed have less of a chance playing with them than us.....

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-18, 11:33 AM   #43
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Can see why he'd look elsewhere. Front 3 locked in and we'll sign more attacking gods in the summer. Rather he stayed and we see how we go with him but he's very basic in that all he does is score goals, a nice quality but don't think he's a special talent by any means which you probably have to be if you want to break through at a top club now, in an attacking role anyway. Could be our Leigh Griffiths
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-18, 08:16 PM   #44
meffin
Officially the best insider on this forum. Ever!

Apparently asking for 35k per week from us
meffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-18, 11:01 PM   #45
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by meffin View Post
Apparently asking for 35k per week from us
We all laughed at Sterling for doing the same thing and he turned out pretty well (transfer notwithstanding!)
Old 14-05-18, 07:37 AM   #46
S-RED
Dalglish

Can't believe we are haggling at the price; i know its mental money for a kid, but we would have to pay a hell of a lot more for a replacement within the next 2-3 years
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-18, 07:47 AM   #47
frank the tank
Shankly

We'd need to be sure that he is the real deal though. Otherwise we could be setting a new policy at the club if we are not careful.

If the lad has loads of options, then he should look at them. I'd like to think that LFC would be a good option for the fella too though. It's not like we are a team like Chelsea that just harvest young players who have little chance of making the breakthough there. I think even if we were to sign another attacking player to complement what we have, then Brewster would have a chance at Liverpool.

I think a good option might be to sign a deal with LFC with a release clause. Also, LFC loan him out to someone like Huddersfield.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-18, 09:56 AM   #48
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
We'd need to be sure that he is the real deal though. Otherwise we could be setting a new policy at the club if we are not careful.

If the lad has loads of options, then he should look at them. I'd like to think that LFC would be a good option for the fella too though. It's not like we are a team like Chelsea that just harvest young players who have little chance of making the breakthough there. I think even if we were to sign another attacking player to complement what we have, then Brewster would have a chance at Liverpool.

I think a good option might be to sign a deal with LFC with a release clause. Also, LFC loan him out to someone like Huddersfield.
Went well for that Sinclair fella too, that was similar, where is he now?

He'll earn loads, doesn't have to get parity with Emre Can right now.
Old 14-05-18, 10:23 AM   #49
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_weatherman View Post

Yeah, I reckon these things are a test for a young player (and more impoirtantly their choice of agent). Follow the $ at a young age, or trust your career to a manager who has shown he can maximise potential. If the decision is to follow the cash then 'see yaaaa'...!
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-18, 03:12 PM   #50
meffin
Officially the best insider on this forum. Ever!

Quote:

And that Spanish lad who went to Norwich (?)
meffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 08:34 AM   #51
Harv
Randy Marsh

heeeeeeere they come to snuff the Brewsterrrrrrrrrr! You knowwwww he aint gonnnnnna dieeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 09:23 AM   #52
Resu
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
heeeeeeere they come to snuff the Brewsterrrrrrrrrr! You knowwwww he aint gonnnnnna dieeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Exactly what I`m thinking every time I see this thread.
Old 15-05-18, 09:45 AM   #53
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 10:02 AM   #54
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Yeah, I reckon these things are a test for a young player (and more impoirtantly their choice of agent). Follow the $ at a young age, or trust your career to a manager who has shown he can maximise potential. If the decision is to follow the cash then 'see yaaaa'...!
Dont think thats fully fair. I dont know the specifics of this case. But kids like Yaden Sancho and Ademola Lookman have gone elsewhere to get first team games and a chance to develop into something better away from the spotlight. Sancho was breaking through and making waves at Dortmund too by the end of the season.

Its natural that these players will get a pay increase due to their ages. But I dont think its so much that its more than a PL team can offer them.

Think we are in danager with Brewster of thinking we are the best and only option for him. That said, id like it if we had signed him and then let him go out on loan for a year or two. But I dont know if that model works much anymore.
Old 15-05-18, 10:16 AM   #55
labourRed
Shankly

It's a tricky one. Players wlll find it hard to break into teams in the top 6 soon enough (if not already) so its a natural course that players will seek moves abroad to broaden their chances, there was a real talent drain from Spain's top two for a long time, e.g. Fabregas. And a club like Dortmund have proven history in bring young talent in and giving them time. Although I think we do pretty well with giving young players a chance, even when they are not particularly ready.

It definitely would be hard for Brewster to break into our front three (or essentially be back up to Firmino). But for every Sancho there's an Oliver Burke, a simple solution is to get him on a professional contract and loan him (for a fee) ala, Lookman.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 11:05 AM   #56
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Dont think thats fully fair. I dont know the specifics of this case. But kids like Yaden Sancho and Ademola Lookman have gone elsewhere to get first team games and a chance to develop into something better away from the spotlight. Sancho was breaking through and making waves at Dortmund too by the end of the season.

Its natural that these players will get a pay increase due to their ages. But I dont think its so much that its more than a PL team can offer them.

Think we are in danager with Brewster of thinking we are the best and only option for him. That said, id like it if we had signed him and then let him go out on loan for a year or two. But I dont know if that model works much anymore.
IF it's true about the 35k than that's too much surely. I mean Can was on something like that. I would have thought a incentivised contract would be fairer.
Old 15-05-18, 12:04 PM   #57
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
IF it's true about the 35k than that's too much surely. I mean Can was on something like that. I would have thought a incentivised contract would be fairer.
Would he get 35K per week in Germany??
Old 15-05-18, 12:09 PM   #58
kev776
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
Not a chance, not at his level.
kev776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 12:15 PM   #59
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev776 View Post
I didnt think so either

To me even the football argument doesnt make massive sense

Lookman has played what about a dozen times, Sancho about the same

Solanke has probably made as many if not more appearances than both of them put together

Frankly if I was a kid such as Brewster I would be backing my talent to be better than Solankes
Old 15-05-18, 12:23 PM   #60
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
It's a tricky one. Players wlll find it hard to break into teams in the top 6 soon enough (if not already) so its a natural course that players will seek moves abroad to broaden their chances, there was a real talent drain from Spain's top two for a long time, e.g. Fabregas. And a club like Dortmund have proven history in bring young talent in and giving them time. Although I think we do pretty well with giving young players a chance, even when they are not particularly ready.

It definitely would be hard for Brewster to break into our front three (or essentially be back up to Firmino). But for every Sancho there's an Oliver Burke, a simple solution is to get him on a professional contract and loan him (for a fee) ala, Lookman.

Picking the right club to loan to is important though. A youngster needs to be at a club much lower down in stature to ensure he gets relevant playing time; but at the same time the standard of football played needs to be relevant to him

Any team on a similar level to us is either not going to play a kid, or is going to question why they'd develop someone else's player

The only recent young success story I can think of is Sterling, and we poached him late anyway. He sold for 50m, so it shows how outstanding a youngster needs to be in order to break into the team
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 15-05-18, 01:41 PM   #61
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I didnt think so either

Solanke has probably made as many if not more appearances than both of them put together

Frankly if I was a kid such as Brewster I would be backing my talent to be better than Solankes
True, the 35k claim must be BS.
Old 15-05-18, 04:03 PM   #62
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:

True!

There's some positions in our team it'd be hard to break through, but up front, Firmino aside, we've got no one to fear.

At the very least he'd get some minutes off the bench most games. At his age that's brilliant progress.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 04:06 PM   #63
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
I didnt think so either

When they play though how much time are they on the pitch for? because Solanke may have more appearances but the odd start here and there aside most of them are 10-15 mins from the bench. I would say you would develop more playing a couple of games from the start than you would in 10 or 15 15 min sub appearances.
Old 15-05-18, 04:26 PM   #64
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
When they play though how much time are they on the pitch for? because Solanke may have more appearances but the odd start here and there aside most of them are 10-15 mins from the bench. I would say you would develop more playing a couple of games from the start than you would in 10 or 15 15 min sub appearances.
Sancho started 7 times and played 684 minutes in all

Lookman started 10 times (3 with the Ev) and played 955 minutes (250 with the Ev)

Solanke 6 starts and played 619 minutes

Big thing stopping Solanke is lack of ability imo. I think another kid of higher quality would get more game time. There's been times when Bobby has been running on empty and Klopp hasn't bothered bringing on Solanke

I know the lad scored on Sunday but I struggle to see him having any kind of future at LFC
Old 15-05-18, 04:47 PM   #65
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:

Lookman started 10 times (3 with the Ev) and played 955 minutes (250 with the Ev)

Big thing stopping Solanke is lack of ability imo. I think another kid of higher quality would get more game time. There's been times when Bobby has been running on empty and Klopp hasn't bothered bringing on Solanke

I know the lad scored on Sunday but I struggle to see him having any kind of future at LFC
Made the same point about the ones playing in Germany. Not sure why people keep saying he must be looking at them and... as opposed to saying he should be looking at the likes of Trent, McTominay or even Foden who have arguably had more success.

I agree to an extent with Solanke. If he produced more, he most likely would have got more playing time and he's probably got a fair amount of game time for his first season. Disagree about ability, but that's been done already.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 04:51 PM   #66
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:

Fair enough there is essentially no difference in game time.

To a certain extent it is lack of ability because if Solanke were close to the level of the front 3 we would be happy to rotate him in, the problem is a young player is always going to have that issue. I think that the bigger issue for Solanke is that he doesn't seem suited to our style of play, for me that is the biggest issue.
Old 15-05-18, 05:07 PM   #67
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Fair enough there is essentially no difference in game time.

To a certain extent it is lack of ability because if Solanke were close to the level of the front 3 we would be happy to rotate him in, the problem is a young player is always going to have that issue. I think that the bigger issue for Solanke is that he doesn't seem suited to our style of play, for me that is the biggest issue.
Trent and Gomez got games (not just this season either) so we clearly are willing to take the plunge if a youngster is near good enough
Old 15-05-18, 05:26 PM   #68
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Trent and Gomez got games (not just this season either) so we clearly are willing to take the plunge if a youngster is near good enough
They got so much time because of circumstances - the injury to Clyne and hence the need for one or other to play. Obviously they need to be close to the side for consideration, but if there were similar injury problems up front Solanke would gave played alot more. If it weren't for the injury to Clyne both TAA and Gomez would have probably been in a similar situation to Solanke - playing cup games, the odd PL start when people were tired and minutes from the bench.
Old 15-05-18, 10:46 PM   #69
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Maybe Brewster is using Woodburn, Wilson, Kent and Grujic as his yardstick. The thing is youd imagine wed offer more money and if he was good enough hed get plenty of game time - 4 comps next year. From what Ive read his agent is doing plenty of pushing so maybe a signing on fee if he went to Germany?
Old 16-05-18, 02:34 AM   #70
Harv
Randy Marsh

35k is nothing for us. If he's that good a prospect then just pay it.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 06:34 AM   #71
kev776
Paisley

Quote:
35k is nothing for us. If he's that good a prospect then just pay it.
I read somewhere that LFC, City and some other clubs pay their academy graduates a set 15k on their first pro contracts, this included TAA, who has since been offered or signed a new better deal.

Why change the rule for Brewster? if he was so good we would have seen him at least in cameo roles before his injury.

Last edited by kev776; 16-05-18 at 06:40 AM.
kev776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 08:09 AM   #72
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I disagree that Solanke lacks quality or doesn't suit our system. If either is true then there's no way Klopp would give him any time.

It's clear he does and is learning how to fit into the system.
Old 16-05-18, 11:05 AM   #73
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
I disagree that Solanke lacks quality or doesn't suit our system. If either is true then there's no way Klopp would give him any time.

It's clear he does and is learning how to fit into the system.
He gives Moreno time also
Old 16-05-18, 03:14 PM   #74
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
I read somewhere that LFC, City and some other clubs pay their academy graduates a set 15k on their first pro contracts, this included TAA, who has since been offered or signed a new better deal.

Why change the rule for Brewster? if he was so good we would have seen him at least in cameo roles before his injury.
I think it's sensible, well as sensible as these things go, Klopp is the only elite coach I know who places such importance on developing the team and the players. If Brewster has any sense he'll stay with Klopp, otherwise, his loss really.
Old 19-05-18, 05:30 PM   #75
Irishnev
Shankly

Old 19-05-18, 05:32 PM   #76
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Oo, pwoper handbags going on here
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-18, 07:01 PM   #77
cream
Paisley

Apparently staying now according to some former itk on twitter. Whats all the fuss about, is he the next Messi or something?
Old 19-05-18, 07:36 PM   #78
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
Apparently staying now according to some former itk on twitter. Whats all the fuss about, is he the next Messi or something?
Old 19-05-18, 07:38 PM   #79
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Old 19-05-18, 07:49 PM   #80
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Karl has a good contact - he was the one who said Chang had been sacked (because of me ) three days before it was announced. I'd be inclined to believe that about Brewster.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC