It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 02-02-19, 08:26 AM   #1
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Corners

Can someone explain why so many of ours hit the first man? Why are the likes of Shaq and Salah unable to cross the ball?
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 02-02-19, 09:47 AM   #2
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

This has been a peeve of mine for years to be honest. Even back when Gerrard was playing.. one of the best strikers of a football of all time and he couldn't even take a corner!!

Just play the fucking thing short and be done with them.
Old 02-02-19, 12:25 PM   #3
McDermotX
Paisley

Trying to put pace on them rather than hanging them up is part of the problem I'd imagine.
Still doesn't explain the inability the just fire it in there generally especially given that most of our big lads don't tend to approach near side the 6 yard area. Work on the movement of our players in the box as opposed to postage stamp delivery.

A direct pacy ball with better, more intelligent movement might yield better results than trying to pick what must be a mythical 2in squared area just over the first defenders head that can only be picked out once out of a 100 attempts by any of our lads.

Given the likes of VVD, Dejan etc do be winning most of the stuff in defence, they really should be more of a threat on every corner to begin with, not just the odd one that they don't really get a good effort on anyway.
Old 02-02-19, 05:23 PM   #4
Liverpool
Paisley

Our stats from corners are quite good, I think we have scored 7-8 goals from bad set pieces too where we score from the next phase of play.

Teams are in their positions to defend a corner, win a header on the near post and think the danger is cleared, then the next 10-15 second where they transition back to their normal game play formation, they are all over the shop and we pounce.

Mane's against Arsenal is a great example where both Salah and Mane find themselves unmarked, its a shame this clip doesnt start 3-4 seconds earlier at the poor corner.

So either we practice this loads in training knowing our corners are shit, or Klopp is an evil genius and this is his game plan. It's not dissimilar to his signature counter pressing.

Either way it keeps me calm watching us not beat the first man time and time again.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 05:49 PM   #5
Cormack74
Shankly

The McAllister years when we put two men on the front post for flick ons. The stats may say different(?) but that seemed like the best time.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 09:39 PM   #6
Exiled_red
Paisley

We had a season a few years ago where we suddenly became good at corners, I think it might have been the year we finished 2nd with Suarez, Skrtel got about 7 league goals from freekicks and corners etc. Then we went back to being shit at them.

Never understood why after being awful at them for years we suddenly became good and then immediately went back to being awful after just one year of not seemingly doing anything different
Old 02-02-19, 09:57 PM   #7
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
Our stats from corners are quite good, I think we have scored 7-8 goals from bad set pieces too where we score from the next phase of play.

Teams are in their positions to defend a corner, win a header on the near post and think the danger is cleared, then the next 10-15 second where they transition back to their normal game play formation, they are all over the shop and we pounce.

Mane's against Arsenal is a great example where both Salah and Mane find themselves unmarked, its a shame this clip doesnt start 3-4 seconds earlier at the poor corner.

SADIO MANE GOAL - LIVERPOOL VS ARSENAL 3-1 (29/12/2018) - YouTube

So either we practice this loads in training knowing our corners are shit, or Klopp is an evil genius and this is his game plan. It's not dissimilar to his signature counter pressing.

Either way it keeps me calm watching us not beat the first man time and time again.
You could be absolutely right. Bus parents will see a quick counter from our corners as the best chance of scoring against us so it makes perfect sense that we give the ball away and lull them in to a false sense of security
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 11:14 PM   #8
baitman
Daddy day care

What, like dont challenge for the first ball but sit off and win the second ball with the midgets.
Maybe use the big lads to push their big lumps around a bit, unless it drops right on vvds head.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 11:35 PM   #9
red g
Paisley

Quote:

I have thought this for a while, they hit the first man that often it must be planned

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 12:40 PM   #10
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:

Yep. Corners are the same regardless who takes them. It's got to be a tactic of some sort.
Old 04-02-19, 03:31 PM   #11
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

Why does a keeper sometimes dive out the way of a penalty hit straight down the middle?

If you play Alisson in goal then once/twice a season he'll cost you a goal fucking about in possession.

I'm sure if the goal is simply to beat the man on the front post we could loop a high ball in for them every time. Over the course of a season you need a strategy that works overall. Placed corners don't reach the target, balls need to be whipped in at pace, which is a narrow trajectory between hitting the first man and sailing over them all for a throw. When that front guy is chesting or volleying clear that is an obvious error by the taker but getting cleared is the risk if you want to take a dangerous corner rather than just complete a lofted pass.
Old 04-02-19, 08:26 PM   #12
brightred
Befuddled

I much prefer an in-swinger. Only takes a slight touch to send it towards goal.

Are you an innie or an outie?

Discuss.
Old 04-02-19, 09:13 PM   #13
Exiled_red
Paisley

Stat came up in today's game saying we have scored 15 PL goals from set pieces, which is the most in the league, next highest is 11
Old 04-02-19, 09:48 PM   #14
labourRed
Shankly

Milner has a cracking delivery on him. We are probably top in terms of most corners, and hitting the first man.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 09:50 PM   #15
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Stat came up in today's game saying we have scored 15 PL goals from set pieces, which is the most in the league, next highest is 11
Comes to show how great we are at judging these. Stats lie.
Old 05-02-19, 12:06 AM   #16
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Not one corner today hit the shins of the first defender. Progress.
Old 05-02-19, 12:09 AM   #17
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Not one corner today hit the shins of the first defender. Progress.
Old 10-02-19, 11:43 AM   #18
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

We did it again. Lulled them in to thinking they'd cleared it and BOOM! It really is tactical genius
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC