It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 16-09-17, 08:09 PM   #1241
ChesterDave
Paisley

Allegedly not getting a payout. In Unrelated news the local Pets at Home store has sold out of dog treats
Old 18-09-17, 01:16 PM   #1242
Gingawaria
Dalglish

Paddy Power were offering odds of 66/1 for Ugo Ehiogu to take over as Birmingham boss. They've taken it down and apologised.

I'm hoping it was just an oversight because otherwise that's awful!

JURGEN KLOPP - LIVERPOOL MANAGER

YNWA
Gingawaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-17, 01:20 PM   #1243
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingawaria View Post
Paddy Power were offering odds of 66/1 for Ugo Ehiogu to take over as Birmingham boss. They've taken it down and apologised.

I'm hoping it was just an oversight because otherwise that's awful!
Oversight my ass...they got the publicty they wanted.....Pathetic from them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-17, 09:50 AM   #1244
Yozza
Shankly

Strange - considering he survived the racism accusations against him...

Mark Sampson sacked as England women's manager

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41326806

Mark Sampson has been sacked as England women's manager following evidence of "inappropriate and unacceptable" behaviour with female players in a previous role.

The Football Association says that last week it was made aware of the full details of safeguarding allegations made against Sampson in 2014 relating to his time as Bristol Academy manager.

A 2015 FA assessment found Sampson did not pose a risk.

Sampson was also cleared this year of wrongdoing following discrimination allegations made by England players, including Chelsea and England striker Eniola Aluko.

The 34-year-old Welshman became England head coach in December 2013 after leaving top-flight side Bristol Academy, now renamed Bristol City Women.

The FA statement said: "The full report of that [2014] investigation was only brought to the attention of the current FA leadership last week.

"It is our judgement that it revealed clear evidence of inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour by a coach. It is on this basis that we have acted quickly to agree a termination of Mark's contract."

Women In Sport announced Sampson had been removed as patron of the charity following the FA decision.

'It's a difficult decision'

FA chief executive Martin Glenn, speaking to BBC Sport's Richard Conway

Why have you taken this decision today?

In 2014 there were concerns raised about Mark's time at Bristol Academy. These were investigated by the FA's safeguarding unit and Mark was cleared in terms of his suitability to continue in football in early 2015.

Let's be clear, Mark is not deemed to be a safeguarding threat in football. The problem is that when I read the full report of that just last week, the issue became one of Mark's conduct and it's really around the boundaries between a player and a coach.

On reading that report, I felt that what I saw was incompatible with the standards that we'd expect for someone to work at the FA.

Many people will look at this and perhaps think this is a convenient way to get rid of Mark Sampson given the ongoing scrutiny he is under over Eni Aluko's allegations - what do you say to that?

I can understand why people would say that but they are two very different things.

The concerns Eni Aluko raised were about perceived bullying and perceived racism. We have investigated those properly, there have been two separate investigations actually which have broadly concluded there's no systematic evidence for that.

This is a different issue, this is about his conduct before his time at the FA which we judge just isn't consistent with the standards that an FA employee needs to show.

Is Mark Sampson fit to work as a coach in football generally in your opinion?

Mark Sampson is absolutely clear to work as a coach in football.

But you don't think it's appropriate to work as the England coach when he can work elsewhere?

I think that's for other people to make their mind up. In terms of the standards we set at the FA and what we know about what happened, we are very clear about our decision.

'This situation is a mess'

A spokesman for Bristol Academy said: "In 2014 the club was made aware of the FA's investigation into allegations surrounding Mark Sampson.

"Bristol Academy Women co-operated fully with that investigation, which found that Mark Sampson did not pose a safeguarding risk working in the game. The club has had no further contact from the FA on this subject in the intervening years."

Minister for Sport Tracey Crouch said: "This situation is a mess and raises very serious questions about whether the historic processes that the FA had in place around the recruitment of coaches were appropriate, for something like this to have been missed.

"The FA are right to have taken action but reassurance is needed to make sure this does not happen again at any level of coaching."

Sampson's England side beat Russia 6-0 in a World Cup qualifier on Tuesday and he led the Lionesses to successive semi-finals at major tournaments.

Last year Sampson signed a new contract to remain in charge until 2019. He has had his contract paid up in full by the FA.

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-17, 09:59 AM   #1245
Vermilion
Shooterista

Pretty much this imo. Not enough evidence to convict from the latest investigation, but enough for those at the FA to get the picture of what went on..

Many people will look at this and perhaps think this is a convenient way to get rid of Mark Sampson given the ongoing scrutiny he is under over Eni Aluko's allegations - what do you say to that?

I can understand why people would say that but they are two very different things.

Don't know what it is about him, but i always looked at him and thought....hmmm something about this guy's demeanour that makes me think he's shady and slippery.

Last edited by Vermilion; 21-09-17 at 10:03 AM.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-17, 10:48 AM   #1246
-V-
Paisley

How is wenger still arsenal manager? It's crazy. They even struggled against Doncaster ffs
-V- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-17, 11:02 AM   #1247
Yozza
Shankly

Oldham boss John Sheridan gone.... my hometown club - no surprise really

Oldham Athletic manager John Sheridan has left the League One club by mutual consent.

The 52-year-old took over for a third time in January, but won only 10 of his 33 games in charge.

He has left with the Latics bottom of the table after taking only four points from their opening nine games.

A statement on the Oldham website said the board had "not seen the progression we hoped with what was felt to be the nucleus of a good squad".

Sheridan's final game in charge was Saturday's 5-1 thrashing by Rotherham United.

"The board of directors would like to place on record their thanks to John for his contribution to the development of the club, not only during this tenure, but as both a player and manager previously," the statement read.

"His impact over the past two seasons in particular, when he has saved the club from near certain relegation on both occasions, will mean he is always guaranteed a warm welcome here by both the club and fans alike."

Sheridan first managed Oldham from 2006-2009 and had a six-month spell in charge in 2016 before leaving to take over at Notts County.

He returned at the beginning of 2017 following the sacking of Stephen Robinson, but they have won only one league game so far this season and lost seven.

Old 25-09-17, 11:33 AM   #1248
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

He can concentrate on drinking now.
Old 25-09-17, 03:33 PM   #1249
Paddy
Out Patient

Bodge 10/1 to be next manager sacked/to leave....

If Bilic can turn West Ham around a bit I'd be tempted
Old 28-09-17, 01:02 PM   #1250
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Few stories going around the Carlo Ancelotti will be sacked

Last edited by Bender; 28-09-17 at 01:04 PM.
Old 28-09-17, 02:07 PM   #1251
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Carlo Ancelotti has been SACKED by Bayern Münich.
Old 28-09-17, 02:33 PM   #1252
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Yep, he's gone.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-17, 02:52 PM   #1253
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I remember Reds wanting him ahead of Klopp. Biggest fraud in management imo.
Old 28-09-17, 02:59 PM   #1254
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

The decision will probably get some stick but I think it's right, they've continued the dull, paceless, stale shit from pre season in to their league games even if the results have been ok. He's not the right manager to develop players or oversee a rebuilding process with some of their best players gone or way past prime.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-17, 03:06 PM   #1255
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The decision will probably get some stick but I think it's right, they've continued the dull, paceless, stale shit from pre season in to their league games even if the results have been ok. He's not the right manager to develop players or oversee a rebuilding process with some of their best players gone or way past prime.
Walks into top level jobs, takes over other people's top class squads, befriends them all, makes them feel good, does alright. But he's won 4 league titles in God knows how long at various elite clubs. A fraud.
Old 28-09-17, 03:07 PM   #1256
The_weatherman
Smug

Yeah, I can't really fault it either, wonder who they turn to though. Isn't Nagelman too young, and Tuchel too difficult?
Old 28-09-17, 03:10 PM   #1257
Resu
Dalglish

I fear the answer could be close to us.
Not sure he`ll take it, but the resources at Bayern would be tempting.
Old 28-09-17, 04:30 PM   #1258
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Walks into top level jobs, takes over other people's top class squads, befriends them all, makes them feel good, does alright. But he's won 4 league titles in God knows how long at various elite clubs. A fraud.

In no way is a multiple CL and Title-winning coach a fraud. The best managers get the top squads, had he failed in all those jobs you'd have a point, and some managers would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_weatherman View Post
Yeah, I can't really fault it either, wonder who they turn to though. Isn't Nagelman too young, and Tuchel too difficult?
Talk was of Nagelman before the sacking, but i reckon its too big of a job for him. Probably favourite though.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-17, 04:40 PM   #1259
DeeTheDog
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resu View Post
Would Bayern have more resources than us? Apart from being able to cherrypick from the best of the Bundesliga they would struggle to compete with the top English clubs due to the influx of TV money. I did a quick check and the highest amount paid by a Bundesliga club is €43m.

It's a bit of a cliche that football is cyclical; however, with the cash and high class managers in England it would appear with the recent Champions league results that it may be the turn of the English clubs.
DeeTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-17, 05:30 PM   #1260
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post

In no way is a multiple CL and Title-winning coach a fraud. The best managers get the top squads, had he failed in all those jobs you'd have a point, and some managers would have.

Talk was of Nagelman before the sacking, but i reckon its too big of a job for him. Probably favourite though.
Huge risk for him, so early in his career too, players like Robben, Lewa, Ribery and Hummels might not take well to a young, in-experienced coach.
Old 28-09-17, 05:32 PM   #1261
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTheDog View Post
Would Bayern have more resources than us? Apart from being able to cherrypick from the best of the Bundesliga they would struggle to compete with the top English clubs due to the influx of TV money. I did a quick check and the highest amount paid by a Bundesliga club is €43m.

It's a bit of a cliche that football is cyclical; however, with the cash and high class managers in England it would appear with the recent Champions league results that it may be the turn of the English clubs.
Nah, can't see Jurgen jumping ship to be honest, he's has a 6 year contract, he is not leaving any time soon, maybe good for us to have him linked to appreciate him more.
Old 28-09-17, 05:33 PM   #1262
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post

I agree with this and some of the ensuing comments.

Old 28-09-17, 09:08 PM   #1263
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Quote:
Bayern's heavy defeat at PSG left them no choice but to fire Carlo Ancelotti

Raphael Honigstein

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge had threatened "quick consequences" at the banquet in the Paris team hotel on Wednesday night, and Bayern's executive chairman stayed true to his word. Shortly after the club's return to Munich, Carlo Ancelotti was fired.

"Our team's performances since the start of the season have not met our expectations. The match in Paris clearly showed we had to take immediate action," was how the official press release quoted Rummenigge, and those two sentences neatly explain the rationale for Bayern's decision.

There was, on the one hand, a latent unhappiness with the way the team had played this season, results aside. Secondly, the German champions' depressing ineptitude at both ends of the pitch in the French capital on Wednesday destroyed the last remnants of confidence at board level that the team could somehow muddle through and find success with the Italian in charge. The drop in quality that he's overseen has been too sharp to be tolerated any longer.

"What we saw today was not FC Bayern, I think we can all agree that," Rummenigge had said after the final whistle. "It's important that we bounce back quickly and demonstrate that we are the team that has been sensational in Europe and [the Bundesliga] alike in recent years." Translation: Bayern are currently miles away from the performance levels of recent times. And they're not quite a team, either.

The shock about this sad state of affairs would have been even more keenly felt if the club hadn't come almost to expect it. The many problems PSG exposed in such brutal fashion had been internally known for quite some time.

From the outset, the board were fully aware that Carlo Ancelotti wasn't exactly obsessed with detailed tactical work and favoured a low-intensity training regime. They realised that one half of the 2013 treble-winning team had come to end of its cycle and would be difficult to replace due to the explosion of transfer fees. Deep down, they too must have known that the appointment of Hasan Salihamidzic as sporting director was not an ideal solution.

All of these factors have naturally, logically contributed to Bayern's regression. But the cumulative negative effect has still been much more extreme than the club thought possible because it was amplified by the consequences of a grave misjudgment. Bayern mistakenly believe that Ancelotti's fabled man-management skills would partially offset the loss of structural cohesion on the pitch. But even in that respect, the Italian has failed to deliver. Bayern's dressing room has not been this fraught with tension in years, and with every bad result, the cracks were deepening. The bosses feared that things getting out of control.

Someone asked Arjen Robben after the PSG defeat, "Are the players still behind the manager?" The Dutch international declined to answer.

For all of Pep Guardiola's faults, this would have been an unthinkable question during his reign. Neither the board nor the club ever lost the fundamental belief in the Catalan's working methods, because they experienced their undoubtedly beneficial impact every single day irrespective of the one or two bad results per season. With Ancelotti, the situation was different. As much as they might have liked him as a person, they couldn't help but think that he should have done more to make Bayern a functioning team both on and off the pitch.

The 57-year-old's radical rotation policy against PSG was a high-risk gamble that failed to pay off. The idea of lining up with a narrow team, bereft of the wing play of Robben and Franck Ribery, backfired. These things can happen against top opposition; not every plan comes off. Not everyone will he happy, either, least of all big names on the bench. Of much greater relevance was the fact that Ancelotti's plans visibly lacked specific direction.

For all the dominance that Bayern did muster halfway through the first half on Wednesday, their attacking play in the final third had an air of desperation in the French capital. More often than not, the ball was aimlessly lofted into the box in lieu of more joined-up movement. On the night, 36 crosses (PSG had four) speak of the visitor's unsophisticated methods.

If it's individualism you want, you'd better have individual superstars up front who can win games without the help of a supporting cast. Bayern don't have these players at their disposal. Their success since 2009-10 has been based on collectivity, tactical innovation and commitment. Right now, none of these things are present, and there were no signs that they would have magically appeared in the coming months either. Ancelotti had to go.

The big question now is how long interim coach Willy Sagnol will be keeping the bench warm for a new, more proactive manager. Bayern's swift action today would suggest that in due course, the next man, most probably Julian Nagelsmann, will be able to step in.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-...eeper-problems
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-17, 11:52 PM   #1264
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza View Post
Oldham boss John Sheridan gone.... my hometown club - no surprise really

Oldham Athletic manager John Sheridan has left the League One club by mutual consent.

The 52-year-old took over for a third time in January, but won only 10 of his 33 games in charge.

He has left with the Latics bottom of the table after taking only four points from their opening nine games.

A statement on the Oldham website said the board had "not seen the progression we hoped with what was felt to be the nucleus of a good squad".

Sheridan's final game in charge was Saturday's 5-1 thrashing by Rotherham United.

"The board of directors would like to place on record their thanks to John for his contribution to the development of the club, not only during this tenure, but as both a player and manager previously," the statement read.

"His impact over the past two seasons in particular, when he has saved the club from near certain relegation on both occasions, will mean he is always guaranteed a warm welcome here by both the club and fans alike."

Sheridan first managed Oldham from 2006-2009 and had a six-month spell in charge in 2016 before leaving to take over at Notts County.

He returned at the beginning of 2017 following the sacking of Stephen Robinson, but they have won only one league game so far this season and lost seven.
Clarence Seedorf interviewed for the job today, and 1/2 favourite. What the fuck.
Old 29-09-17, 08:08 AM   #1265
Darkon
Football Expert

https://fcbayern.com/de/news/2017/09...arlo-ancelotti

Ancelotti is in the past now! Wonder if they will go for Nagelsmann now? So far a temporary manager.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 11:26 AM   #1266
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
Clarence Seedorf interviewed for the job today, and 1/2 favourite. What the fuck.
Clarence is a cool f***ing name - I'd employ him on the spot just because of that!

Be amazing if Oldham got him

Old 29-09-17, 12:33 PM   #1267
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza View Post
Clarence is a cool f***ing name - I'd employ him on the spot just because of that!

Be amazing if Oldham got him
Anything that puts your staff a step closer towards being able to recreate the Airplane clearance/Clarence, vector/Victor scene has to be a positive.
Red_Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 12:38 PM   #1268
labourRed
Shankly

The stuff on Ancelotti going light on training is interesting. He has a good record in finals and cups, whereas Klopp doesn't (in finals anyway). The obvious caveat is that Ancelotti has had top tier teams but Ancelotti also had a successful playing career which must have influenced his management style.

Like most approaches nothing is black or white but I found it interesting nonetheless.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 12:56 PM   #1269
Daniel 7
Heretic

Everton fans here in work reckon they're in for Ancelotti - LOL
Daniel 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 01:11 PM   #1270
Gingawaria
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
Everton fans here in work reckon they're in for Ancelotti - LOL

Thought Koeman was meant to be the Messiah?!

JURGEN KLOPP - LIVERPOOL MANAGER

YNWA
Gingawaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 01:18 PM   #1271
Phoenix07
The Normal One

You would've thought Ancelotti's sacking would be making managers nervous, but there isn't really a top vacancy he could go to. He's been at Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea, Real Madrid, PSG and now Bayern Munich.

I can see some of our fanbase calling for him if we go through a period similar to that of last January. Arsenal fans will surely be looking at him the moment they hit a dodgy patch. If Conte decides to leave at the end of the season, I can't see Abramovich going back in for him.

He may as well take a sabbatical and chill.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 10:10 PM   #1272
Liverpool
Paisley

Quote:
skimming down the page I thought this was about the Bayern job.

Oldham
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 10:39 PM   #1273
Deano
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07 View Post
You would've thought Ancelotti's sacking would be making managers nervous, but there isn't really a top vacancy he could go to. He's been at Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea, Real Madrid, PSG and now Bayern Munich.

I can see some of our fanbase calling for him if we go through a period similar to that of last January. Arsenal fans will surely be looking at him the moment they hit a dodgy patch. If Conte decides to leave at the end of the season, I can't see Abramovich going back in for him.

He may as well take a sabbatical and chill.
Reports from Germany, suggest China
Old 29-09-17, 11:34 PM   #1274
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post
Anything that puts your staff a step closer towards being able to recreate the Airplane clearance/Clarence, vector/Victor scene has to be a positive.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-17, 03:24 PM   #1275
red g
Paisley

Craig Shakespear sacked.

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-17, 03:31 PM   #1276
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
Craig Shakespear sacked.
there's been rumours the last few weeks...owners clearly not happy being in the bottom 3 and players now not performing for shakespear like they did when Raneri got sacked.....I wonder if they'll send an sos to Allardyce
Old 17-10-17, 03:36 PM   #1277
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
there's been rumours the last few weeks...owners clearly not happy being in the bottom 3 and players now not performing for shakespear like they did when Raneri got sacked.....I wonder if they'll send an sos to Allardyce
To be honest it would make a lot of sense - not only would the players suite his style but he tends to recruit well in his first window (apparently does a lot of research into players when not in a job and takes a vary analytical approach). Without Steve Walsh they have struggled a bit.

Wonder if Shakespeare will go back to coaching or aim for a Championship job.
Old 17-10-17, 03:42 PM   #1278
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww View Post
To be honest it would make a lot of sense - not only would the players suite his style but he tends to recruit well in his first window (apparently does a lot of research into players when not in a job and takes a vary analytical approach). Without Steve Walsh they have struggled a bit.

Wonder if Shakespeare will go back to coaching or aim for a Championship job.
Makes you wonder why Allardyce has been saying no to recent jobs[Scotland and Palace]...maybe he's on for the Leicester job? As for Shakespear reckon he'll go into the Championship.
Old 17-10-17, 03:56 PM   #1279
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Well he's resigned from Palace before and many there are the same people + Scotland is a pretty thankless task I feel.
Old 17-10-17, 04:24 PM   #1280
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

I thought Fat Sam had retired?
RedReet is online now   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > General Football