It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 19-02-20, 03:38 PM   #5681
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
I assume the irrefutable evidence is the doctored books?

They have obviously seen sponsorship as a way around FFP and given they own the sponsor and the club have felt it would be easy to manipulate the books. Ultimately that link up is where FFP can falls down. State owned club sponsored by state owned airline.
Who knows.
Old 19-02-20, 03:39 PM   #5682
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Who knows.
Hopefully UEFA and the PL.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 03:46 PM   #5683
RichC
Meh

My gut feeling is they'll position their defence on UEFA not doing things by the letter of the law and look to get away with things on a technicality. The stuff that is out there about them and has been reported upon by publications that aren't known to sensationalise like some of the red tops for instance leads to the thinking they're guilty as hell and they probably know it.

Whether UEFA have gone about things by the book though will be another matter entirely and based on past performance I'd be surprised if they've not fucked this in some way
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 03:51 PM   #5684
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
They've definitely reigned in their spending (look at their defence), and they are making a profit, so they probably are playing by the rules now that they've got their position with the big boys stabilised (for now).
They'd have been far better using this as their defence. "We fucked up but we're behaving ourselves now". That would probably have got the ban reduced to one season.

Instead they've done the opposite. Their all in. Let's see who's bluffing.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 03:55 PM   #5685
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Privileged billionaire princes probability don't do contrition very well. Not used to not getting everything they want or being sanctioned.

Last edited by Kenneth; 19-02-20 at 08:23 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 04:11 PM   #5686
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
My gut feeling is they'll position their defence on UEFA not doing things by the letter of the law and look to get away with things on a technicality. The stuff that is out there about them and has been reported upon by publications that aren't known to sensationalise like some of the red tops for instance leads to the thinking they're guilty as hell and they probably know it.

Whether UEFA have gone about things by the book though will be another matter entirely and based on past performance I'd be surprised if they've not fucked this in some way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
They'd have been far better using this as their defence. "We fucked up but we're behaving ourselves now". That would probably have got the ban reduced to one season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Privileged billionaire princes probability don't do contrition very well. Not used to not getting everything they want or being sanctioned.
Yep to all of that.
Old 19-02-20, 05:01 PM   #5687
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Indeed. Remarkable how tribal association can make so many ordinary people suddenly discard all prior sense of fairness, and to embody the same entitled attitudes, relishing the idea of using untrammelled power and tainted lucre to crush those who don't bend to their will.
Old 19-02-20, 05:55 PM   #5688
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

Confirmation Bias and Cognitive Dissonance. Should have that in PSE in schools!
Old 19-02-20, 05:59 PM   #5689
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillobShaisley View Post
Confirmation Bias and Cognitive Dissonance. Should have that in PSE in schools!

Critical thinking, logical fallacies, and cognitive biases. All woefully neglected by school curricula, and those with money/power/data are exploiting the hell out of it.
Old 19-02-20, 06:46 PM   #5690
Irishnev
Shankly

For subscribers of the Athletic this is a good podcast on it

https://theathletic.com/podcast/144-...apman-podcast/
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 08:01 PM   #5691
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post

Critical thinking, logical fallacies, and cognitive biases. All woefully neglected by school curricula, and those with money/power/data are exploiting the hell out of it.
One of my biggest gripes in Doncaster was the number of sixth forms and post 16 education centres teaching "critical thinking skills" for a couple of hours a week to the students. It sounds good at first, until I tell you that it was for the very top performing students.

Since the changes meant that students had to stay in education until they were 18, most of the schools here have ditched it. I've become quite disillusioned in this line of work. Schools feel like they're becoming factories for smartphone addicts who don't know how to do anything without an app these days.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 08:03 PM   #5692
McDermotX
Paisley

Pep talking about how they are big cheating bastards for the first time on Sky now.

Only he's not talking about how they are big cheating bastards at all.
Old 19-02-20, 08:11 PM   #5693
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07 View Post
One of my biggest gripes in Doncaster was the number of sixth forms and post 16 education centres teaching "critical thinking skills" for a couple of hours a week to the students. It sounds good at first, until I tell you that it was for the very top performing students.

Since the changes meant that students had to stay in education until they were 18, most of the schools here have ditched it. I've become quite disillusioned in this line of work. Schools feel like they're becoming factories for smartphone addicts who don't know how to do anything without an app these days.
Depressing to hear. I'd hoped rather than dedicated critical thinking skills teaching for a select few, it would increasingly become embedded within teaching at all ages, abilities and subjects. Would be interested to hear from teachers on it. Might be something that is aspirational but given lack of resources, increasingly difficult to implement unless you're in a school with a catchment that has rich social capital?
Old 19-02-20, 08:25 PM   #5694
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post
Indeed. Remarkable how tribal association can make so many ordinary people suddenly discard all prior sense of fairness, and to embody the same entitled attitudes, relishing the idea of using untrammelled power and tainted lucre to crush those who don't bend to their will.

Old 19-02-20, 08:45 PM   #5695
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

There’s about 25k max there tonight What a show of support after their “traumatic” week.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 09:19 PM   #5696
ChesterDave
Paisley

From twatter

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshDowni...521805/photo/1
Old 19-02-20, 09:30 PM   #5697
Exiled_red
Paisley

Surely the crowd is so low because they are taking a stand against UEFA and boycotting the game.

And alot of their fans have great foresight because they have been boycotting for years
Old 19-02-20, 09:31 PM   #5698
Fivex
The Wisp

They announced the attendance yet then?

Hello mert.
Fivex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 09:37 PM   #5699
ChesterDave
Paisley

It's low because it's a rearranged fixture. It's tough and expensive for season ticket holders in Manchester to travel to Manchester at 10 days notice
Old 19-02-20, 11:10 PM   #5700
Charly
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivex View Post
They announced the attendance yet then?
nope
Old 19-02-20, 11:32 PM   #5701
Bloodraven
Fagan

Several on Twitter saying 54k which is obviously bollocks. If they are basing this on tickets sold how many did the owners buy?!
Bloodraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-20, 12:23 AM   #5702
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodraven View Post
Several on Twitter saying 54k which is obviously bollocks. If they are basing this on tickets sold how many did the owners buy?!
They count season tickets. Their av attendance is about 54k but they clearly don't get anywhere near that.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-20, 08:06 AM   #5703
Exiled_red
Paisley

I don't get why it's called attendance if it counts people who buy tickets but don't turn up, that is number of ticket sales, attendance is the actual number through the gates.
Old 20-02-20, 09:32 AM   #5704
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Are their CL matches covered by their season tickets? If not then its lies lies and more lies
Old 20-02-20, 09:41 AM   #5705
rodo
Shankly

Old 20-02-20, 10:00 AM   #5706
ChesterDave
Paisley

Somewhat ruins the fans didn't attend as they had a Wembley trip coming up.
Old 20-02-20, 12:12 PM   #5707
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
I assume the irrefutable evidence is the doctored books?

They have obviously seen sponsorship as a way around FFP and given they own the sponsor and the club have felt it would be easy to manipulate the books. Ultimately that link up is where FFP can falls down. State owned club sponsored by state owned airline.
Theres apparently a US investigation into Etihad (something to do with them breaching US competition rules) and part of that investigation proves that Etihad only paid $105m to City for the ENTIRE period of their sponsorship with City

If the sponsor had actually paid the full amount (eventhough they own it) I dont think UEFA would have done much except given them a warning

It appears to be that the sponsor despite being part owned by the Abu Dhabi state didnt pay all the sponsorship (only about 25%) that has got UEFA angered the bulk of the monies appears to have come from a Mansour owned investment vehicle

Last edited by Lecter; 20-02-20 at 12:14 PM.
Lecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-20, 12:16 PM   #5708
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post

PSG have used your first paragraph as their defence

Apparently said if we are in breach then please work with us so we can meet your requirements
Old 20-02-20, 02:19 PM   #5709
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Just speaking to my citeh mate here. Was there last night- said “it was horrendous - me whole row was empty so it was fucking freezing. I knew it’s be like that, midweek game on telly so no one was gonna turn up. No one cares. It’s embarrassing.”

I said “were you not better off in Maine Road in the 2nd division?” He thought for a minute, then said “fuck off” & walked off. He was actually considering it tho..
Old 20-02-20, 04:56 PM   #5710
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post

Apparently said if we are in breach then please work with us so we can meet your requirements
It will be interesting to watch the 2 differing responses play out.

The lengths City are going to protest their innocence almost makes you think they must be in really deep. The sensible line is the one PSG have taken (and prove your innocence that way) the massively aggressive line suggests guilt.

Also Pep almost has to say he is staying whatever now as if he says anything else it is an admission of guilt. Or it would br seen as him going against everything the entire club is saying regarding innocence.

I imagine any meeting for him with the Saudis around not wanting to be part of the organisation would be fairly tricky for him right now. I'd imagine they are pretty persuasive and as mentioned used to getting their own way. You wouldn't want to cross them thats for sure.
Old 21-02-20, 07:43 AM   #5711
cannotmakeit
Fagan

Quote:
It will be interesting to watch the 2 differing responses play out.

The lengths City are going to protest their innocence almost makes you think they must be in really deep. The sensible line is the one PSG have taken (and prove your innocence that way) the massively aggressive line suggests guilt.

Also Pep almost has to say he is staying whatever now as if he says anything else it is an admission of guilt. Or it would br seen as him going against everything the entire club is saying regarding innocence.

I imagine any meeting for him with the Saudis Emiratis around not wanting to be part of the organisation would be fairly tricky for him right now. I'd imagine they are pretty persuasive and as mentioned used to getting their own way. You wouldn't want to cross them thats for sure.
cannotmakeit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-20, 09:32 AM   #5712
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post

Isn't that akin to the Scottish MP who said he'd been foolish for grooming that lad, as if it would exonerate him from punishment

Last edited by Norbs; 21-02-20 at 09:34 AM.
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-20, 10:33 AM   #5713
dom9
Ant Pisser

There may be the first grumblings in the camp. A come and get me plea from Sterling?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51584080

Quote:
"Right now I'm at City and I'm really happy. But I say Real Madrid are a fantastic club," Sterling told Spanish outlet AS.

"When you see the white shirt you know exactly what the club stands for, it's massive."

The England international added: "But at the same time, I have a contract with City now and I have to respect this. But it's a fantastic club."
Old 21-02-20, 10:36 AM   #5714
baitman
Daddy day care

We all knew the little shit stain would be the first

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-20, 11:13 AM   #5715
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Wee cunt
Old 21-02-20, 11:23 AM   #5716
Fivex
The Wisp

Was just about to post that.

He's not making any friends at City with those comments

Hello mert.
Fivex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-20, 03:12 PM   #5717
Mr Darko
Benitez

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...-city-17788548

Quite a few gems from Sterling in the article above:

Quote:
Raheem Sterling says Man City not 'treated with same respect' as Liverpool

Former Liverpool player Raheem Sterling has questioned why no Manchester City players were awarded with the PFA Player of the Year

Raheem Sterling believes Manchester City are "not treated with the same respect" as Liverpool.

The winger joined the Reds from Queens Park Rangers' Academy as a 15-year-old in February 2010, but left many fans upset when he forced through a £44million move to the Etihad in 2015 after turning down what Brendan Rodgers had described as “an incredible deal” in terms of a new contract offer earlier in the year.

He has now spoken to Spanish media outlet AS about the fact no City players won the Ballon d'Or of PFA Player of the Year awards despite claiming every domestic title last term.

The 25-year-old said: "Especially in the last year where we have won the domestic quadruple including the league, to not have a player winning PFA Player of the Year kind of speaks for itself really.

"The award was given to a Liverpool player who had a fantastic season but I look at previous seasons as well when Yaya Touré scored 20 goals from midfield and he didn't win Player of the Year.

"Also, Sergio Agüero has been at the club for more than seven years and has scored unbelievable goals during this time, yet none of City’s players have won it.

"I think that certain players are not treated in the same way when they are from different football clubs across the country and across the world over the past few seasons. The first year we won the league, De Bruyne was unbelievable and they gave it to another player.

"Every year we win a major trophy and it's given to an opposition player. It's that sort of thing that doesn’t depend on us, but we keep going."

Sterling was pushed for his thoughts about this and declared that City weren't treated with the same respect as Liverpool.

"It’s something everyone can see," he added.

"It is impossible to win the league for four or five times and none of the players were Player of the Year.

"Every team which wins the league has a player who wins Player of the Year, for sure.

"So, this year Liverpool win the league and a Liverpool player will win the Player of the Year for sure.

"We win the league for five times and we were not treated with the same respect."
What a bitter, eye scratching scumbag. Most expensive team in sports history, assembed by cheating FFP over multiple years (best part of a decade), cooking the books, fraudulently paying 'themselves' for sponsorship. Neglects to mention how badly they failed in Europe (every single year) - knocked out by Spurs (after having intentionally injured Kane in the 1st leg). Constantly lying about their match day attendance so they can 'claim' more ticket revenue than reality. Playing crowd noises through their speaker systems because there real atmosphere is so shit. First team chanting about Sean Cox getting beaten into a coma and Mo Salah getting injured in the CL final. Giving extra 'payments' to offshore bank accounts to previous managers. Human rights abuses.

Want some respect then do the following:
- Stop cheating FFP, paying yourself for sponsorship, fiddeling accounts
- Try developing youth players through your system rather than spunking £50 million on a every position
- Try actually winning a Quarter Final in the champions league
- Try to win games without cheating by tactical fouling
- [Sterling specifically] stop scratching England team mates in the eye and stop diving all over the place
Mr Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-20, 03:18 PM   #5718
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

you love to see it
Old 21-02-20, 03:24 PM   #5719
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Fuck me, and they call us 'victims' is there anyone they believe doesn't have it in for them?

Also isn't Player of the Year voted on by other players?
Old 21-02-20, 05:31 PM   #5720
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboklopp View Post
Wee cunt
He's vile isn't he

est1892 > Football > General Football