It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 13-05-20, 02:30 AM   #8761
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
I haven't watched any of the footage, but I can't believe how much hype this is getting. The guy was a world champion, obviously he's pretty decent at boxing. I'm sure Maradona is still pretty good at whacking in free kicks and could put a compilation of him completing skills and set pieces in training... because he was a top footballer. Doesn't mean that Barcelona should be rushing to re-sign him as a 60 year old.
Does it take much physical conditioning to lash in a freekick though?
Old 13-05-20, 08:24 AM   #8762
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

What do you guys think about Eddie Hall vs Hapfthor Bjornsson next year?
Pablo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-20, 01:24 PM   #8763
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
What do you guys think about Eddie Hall vs Hapfthor Bjornsson next year?
Old 13-05-20, 02:16 PM   #8764
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Have you never heard of either?

They're strongmen. Both have won World's Strongest Man. Both have deadlifted 500kg. Both are insanely strong.

Both are probably terrible at boxing. Thing is they'll both be slow on their feet so there's more chsnce of them catching each other.

What do you think their actual punching power would be like? They are literally some of the strongest people that have ever lived but I'm not sure how that translates to punching power?

Last edited by Pablo; 13-05-20 at 02:31 PM.
Pablo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-20, 03:19 PM   #8765
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Never heard of either. I've heard of Geoff Capes and Jon Pal Sigmarsson though.

They're having a licenced bout? Surely not ffs.
Old 13-05-20, 03:53 PM   #8766
Darth Marty
Quite Contrary

As far as I am aware they tweeted each other and with some historic needle both have agreed to a boxing match, but agreed in tweets only.

Hapthor is The Mountain in GOT.

It would be car crash TV, neither could waddle for 10 minutes, let alone 36.
Darth Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-20, 03:53 PM   #8767
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Never heard of either. I've heard of Geoff Capes and Jon Pal Sigmarsson though.

They're having a licenced bout? Surely not ffs.
Isn't Jon Pal Sigmarsson dead?

Not that that was the point you were making
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-20, 04:06 PM   #8768
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Yep steroids I think.

That strongman stuff is for kids imo. Loved it when I was like 8.
Old 13-05-20, 04:43 PM   #8769
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Yep steroids I think.

That strongman stuff is for kids imo. Loved it when I was like 8.
Yeah, was always on after Christmas had turned to shit and you were waiting to go back to school in the New Year.

Was essentially a competition to see who was managing their steroid dose the best.
Old 13-05-20, 06:20 PM   #8770
fidget
Shankly

Eddie Hall is quite funny. The YouTube where he swaps diets with his wife for the day is nuts.
No idea how hard he punches but you’d be fucked in a clinch.
Old 13-05-20, 06:35 PM   #8771
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
Eddie Hall is quite funny. The YouTube where he swaps diets with his wife for the day is nuts.
No idea how hard he punches but you’d be fucked in a clinch.
Saw him trying to hit golf shots on Rick Shiels YouTube channel, I actually felt embarrassed for him. It was atrocious. Assuming his coordination (or dearth thereof) transferred into boxing, I can't imagine him punching well. Rule of thumb guys with lots of muscle mass like that punch in slow motion too, kills their handspeed.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-20, 07:22 PM   #8772
fidget
Shankly

By fucked in a clinch I mean he'd bear hug you to death
One of my mates slimmed down from 18 stone of muscle to a lean 14 stone and hit harder at the lighter weight. Plus he could actually last a round without having to stop for a rest.
Old 17-05-20, 09:26 PM   #8773
spud_gun
Paisley

A masterclass

Old 17-05-20, 09:34 PM   #8774
fidget
Shankly

Indeed.
No man can test lennox
Old 18-05-20, 02:25 PM   #8775
Gray
Dalglish

TBH Tyson was way past his sell by date.
Old 18-05-20, 03:56 PM   #8776
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
TBH Tyson was way past his sell by date.
Lewis was 6 months older in that fight.
Old 18-05-20, 03:59 PM   #8777
labourRed
Shankly

Aye, but Lewis didn't have porridge.

Tyson post prison was half the fighter.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-20, 04:03 PM   #8778
spud_gun
Paisley

Lewis would have handled any version of Tyson
Old 18-05-20, 05:09 PM   #8779
RichC
Meh

Not about that though is it.

The lifestyle and behaviour of Tyson had taken their toll on him and he was nowhere near the fighter he once was. Lewis though is an ATG and even at his peak it might have been the same outcome.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-20, 06:37 PM   #8780
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Lewis would have handled any version of Tyson
I agree, Lewis is extremely underrated outside of the UK. And if Tyson did beat Lewis, I'd imagine he'd put it right in the rematch as he did with his other blips. A young Tyson probably would have looked a lot like the Tua fight. Despite being a big man who liked the jab, jab, right on the outside; he could adapt and fight in different styles if need be. Tearing up a young Vitali with those thunderous uppercuts when he was out of shape at the end of his career is an unbelievable achievement.

Have you seen the interview when he speaks about the first time he met and sparred Tyson? It's hilarious. Will see if I can dig it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Not about that though is it.

The lifestyle and behaviour of Tyson had taken their toll on him and he was nowhere near the fighter he once was. Lewis though is an ATG and even at his peak it might have been the same outcome.
Irrelevant. Tons of examples of sportsmen living on the wild side and still producing the goods when it matters.

It's disappointing that neither of them met Riddick Bowe in a professional ring. Think Lewis would have beaten Bowe and Tyson would've lost by KO but a prime Bowe had the tools to take either of them out on his day.
Old 18-05-20, 07:24 PM   #8781
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
I agree, Lewis is extremely underrated outside of the UK. And if Tyson did beat Lewis, I'd imagine he'd put it right in the rematch as he did with his other blips. A young Tyson probably would have looked a lot like the Tua fight. Despite being a big man who liked the jab, jab, right on the outside; he could adapt and fight in different styles if need be. Tearing up a young Vitali with those thunderous uppercuts when he was out of shape at the end of his career is an unbelievable achievement.

Have you seen the interview when he speaks about the first time he met and sparred Tyson? It's hilarious. Will see if I can dig it up.

Irrelevant. Tons of examples of sportsmen living on the wild side and still producing the goods when it matters.

It's disappointing that neither of them met Riddick Bowe in a professional ring. Think Lewis would have beaten Bowe and Tyson would've lost by KO but a prime Bowe had the tools to take either of them out on his day.
This one? He's told it a few times

Agree with most of what you said but Lewis always lived rent free in Bowe's head after the olympics. He certainly had the tools to wipe the floor with today's heavyweight champions though.
Old 18-05-20, 07:55 PM   #8782
spud_gun
Paisley

Not seen that before. Cheers
Old 18-05-20, 08:08 PM   #8783
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
This one? He's told it a few times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amclZ9nvfo0

Agree with most of what you said but Lewis always lived rent free in Bowe's head after the olympics. He certainly had the tools to wipe the floor with today's heavyweight champions though.
Pretty much - I was referring to an older clip, but when I Googled it, I saw several which have varying degrees of poetic licence applied.

As stated above, confident Lewis would have beaten Bowe, had the potential to be a great bout. It's not exactly hard to wipe the floor with the current heavyweights They're all shit!

-----

Been watching the ESPN Ringside doc where Bert Randolph Sugar ranks the best 25 knockouts of all time. Enjoying it. Ray Mancini is on it for long portions too, he's a great analyst. Real quality fighter, but also has very good insight when analysing fights and a real student of the game. Some might say Sugar was a bit pompous but I love his anecdotes regardless of how wishy washy some of them are. As they say, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. Leonard and Hearns are on it too which is pretty funny, Leonard is a fantastic too.

Having Moorer speaking in detail about the Foreman fight where he got sparked was great too. You can see it still rankles him, I'm guessing it was shot around 09 and the guy looked furious about the fight, which was over 15 years prior.

Don't necessarily agree with the ordering with notable heavyweight and historical bias, but a great watch. There's always something special about listening to people who know what they're watching rewatch and shed lights on great fights.
Old 18-05-20, 08:59 PM   #8784
RichC
Meh

Quote:

Of course it’s relevant, if you’re let those things Into your life as Tyson had you’re mentally not right and fighting at that level you’re going to struggle.

Would He have beaten Lewis in their pomp ? dunno but mentally he was never right from just before the buster douglas fight and was never the same again.

Bowe for me ruined his reputation with dropping the WBC belt in the bin rather than fight Lewis, as Fidget says Lennox was living rent free in his head; if that fight had happened confident Lewis would have bombed him out of there and in short order
Old 18-05-20, 09:53 PM   #8785
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Of course it’s relevant, if you’re let those things Into your life as Tyson had you’re mentally not right and fighting at that level you’re going to struggle.

Would He have beaten Lewis in their pomp ? dunno but mentally he was never right from just before the buster douglas fight and was never the same again.

Bowe for me ruined his reputation with dropping the WBC belt in the bin rather than fight Lewis, as Fidget says Lennox was living rent free in his head; if that fight had happened confident Lewis would have bombed him out of there and in short order
That's like saying that Haye would've beaten Wlad if he hadn't broken his toe At risk of repeating myself a few pages back...Every pro-Tyson arguement is hypothetical. He never turned it around in the face of adversity and lost the majority of his career defining fights. You look at his record... why didn't he fight Mercer, Tua, Moorer, Bowe, Briggs, Ruiz, Vitali, Ibeabuchi, Byrd? If he had more fights like this and won them, I'd say fair play. he was in his late 20s in the mid 90s and could have had some of those fights if he fancied them. Apart from Spinks it's hard to find a real standout win, Holmes was already a million years old.
Old 18-05-20, 10:59 PM   #8786
RichC
Meh

Comparing a toe and the mental side of things, yeah ok that the same

Clearly someone that understands the power of the mind here
Old 19-05-20, 12:19 AM   #8787
fidget
Shankly

Anyone read Mike Tyson : Undisputed Truth ?
Incredible read. It's amazing Tyson won any of his fights once he lost his direction and that was an awful lot earlier than you'd expect. It's genuinely one of the most captivating biographies I've ever read.
Old 19-05-20, 08:41 AM   #8788
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Incredible read. It's amazing Tyson won any of his fights once he lost his direction and that was an awful lot earlier than you'd expect. It's genuinely one of the most captivating biographies I've ever read.
I've seen the one man show with the same title, absolutely hysterical! I would urge people to watch it, not really too much about boxing but it's so fucking funny. He's very good in it, can't be easy to execute a performance like that.

Have you seen Tyson? I loved it - very open, honest account. He's a lot more articulate than one would imagine. He said that he didn't like it as it was filmed just as he got out of rehab and he was in a strange space, but if that's the case for me it makes it more honest and from the heart. You really start looking at him as a product of his environment/victim of circumstance rather than a full out villain.

I've never thought of him as a great boxer, his claim is being the youngest heavyweight champ ever and you've got to respect that, but over time I've developed a lot of time for the guy. Clearly a maniac, but well read on historical matters, a bit of a laugh and a true student of the fight game.
Old 19-05-20, 08:58 AM   #8789
fidget
Shankly

Similar but I think I underrated him during his career for many of the reasons you list and after reading the book and seeing him interviewed a lot changed my opinion.
He's a fascinating character and quite capable of self-parody
I loved Mike Tyson Mysteries

Old 19-05-20, 09:19 AM   #8790
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:

When does the book suggest he started to go off the rails? After D'Amato died? When he met Givens?
Old 19-05-20, 10:47 AM   #8791
spud_gun
Paisley

Think it was Shaggy the other week who said he'd been revisiting some classic fights during the lockdown.

Been doing the same. Not watched this one since i originally saw it. Fantastic performance by an 'away' fighter.

Old 19-05-20, 12:48 PM   #8792
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
When does the book suggest he started to go off the rails? After D'Amato died? When he met Givens?
You got a kindle or other ebook reader Spud?
If so pm me an email address.
Old 19-05-20, 02:22 PM   #8793
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
You got a kindle or other ebook reader Spud?
If so pm me an email address.
Thanks for the offer Fidget, unfortunately i don't have any type of ebook reader.

Just need to rely on you typing the book a chapter at a time on here for me
Old 19-05-20, 02:24 PM   #8794
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
Thanks for the offer Fidget, unfortunately i don't have any type of ebook reader.

Ok download calibre and you can read it on that

https://calibre-ebook.com/
Old 19-05-20, 02:41 PM   #8795
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

Thats a great idea for whiling away the lock down.
Old 25-05-20, 07:40 PM   #8796
red g
Paisley

Netflix documentary 'Losers' on Michael Bentt was pretty good.

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 04:53 PM   #8797
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
Netflix documentary 'Losers' on Michael Bentt was pretty good.
Saw this some time ago and agree, well put together. What an interesting guy.

On a related note, I also saw the ESPN 30 for 30 on Tommy Morrison which spends some time focusing on that fight. Pretty decent too, although so tragic how the guy was so self destructive each time he seemed to be getting his life back on track. The HIV denial stuff was absurd.
Old 10-06-20, 04:34 PM   #8798
spud_gun
Paisley

The world heavyweight champions Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury have agreed to a two-fight deal, according to the promoter Eddie Hearn.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...two-fight-deal
Old 10-06-20, 11:15 PM   #8799
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Did anyone watch Shakur Stevenson vs Felix Caraballo?
Old 11-06-20, 08:58 AM   #8800
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Did anyone watch Shakur Stevenson vs Felix Caraballo?
Was a lovely finish. Stevenson is very good.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > General > General Sports