It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 17-03-19, 05:40 PM   #241
ChesterDave
Paisley

12 games to league and CL double!
Old 17-03-19, 05:52 PM   #242
Liverpool
Paisley

Babel out of contract in the summer, I'd take him as squadie for a year, probably doing what Origi is this year. Hopefully we buy someone not as far away from the quality of the current front 3 as well.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 05:54 PM   #243
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Origi isn't the most talented but he's direct.. Thought he did ok when he came on. Babel was very good today imp although don't think I would have him back. But yeah we seriously need players to challenge front lads.
Old 17-03-19, 06:02 PM   #244
brightred
Befuddled

Babel is nearly 40 surely? He can run for an old lad though.
Old 17-03-19, 06:06 PM   #245
rodo
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
Babel out of contract in the summer, I'd take him as squadie for a year, probably doing what Origi is this year. Hopefully we buy someone not as far away from the quality of the current front 3 as well.
seriously???
Old 17-03-19, 06:13 PM   #246
danperkins

Pedro though is someone that I could get on board with. Great little player and a winner.
Old 17-03-19, 06:14 PM   #247
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Babel We are one of the top 3 teams on the planet, I don't think he's gonna cut it nowadays.

He looked genuinely gutted when he scored though so fair play to him for that.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 06:18 PM   #248
Liverpool
Paisley

With Sturridge/Origi off, i'd have him as our sixth choice for the front 3 whos happy to be a bit part player.

No chance we are spending big on more than one back up.
Old 17-03-19, 06:29 PM   #249
Phoenix07
The Normal One

If we're allegedly looking to loan out Wilson, then I'd see our back-up 3 now potentially being a new signing, Shaqiri, and maybe someone like Brewster used sparingly.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 07:25 PM   #250
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
With Sturridge/Origi off, i'd have him as our sixth choice for the front 3 whos happy to be a bit part player.

Sturridge is definately off, I'm not so sure about Origi
Old 17-03-19, 07:39 PM   #251
Liverpool
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Sturridge is definately off, I'm not so sure about Origi
We tried to offload last summer and he wasnt interested in going to Wolves. Only got 12 months on his contract so I imagine we'll try cash in again.
Old 17-03-19, 07:55 PM   #252
Corndog
Fagan

If Wolves are still interested then swap origi and cash for Jimenez, he's a complete forward who could cover Firmino.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 08:03 PM   #253
Rafa Justice
Benitez

Quote:
We tried to offload last summer and he wasnt interested in going to Wolves. Only got 12 months on his contract so I imagine we'll try cash in again.
He's out of contract, as are Milner and Moreno.
Rafa Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 08:31 PM   #254
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Justice View Post
He's out of contract, as are Milner and Moreno.
I think we will hang on to Origi unless he desperately wants to leave as I don't see us getting 2 players to replace him and Sturridge in the same window.

Milner has another year
https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/0...obertson-deal/
Old 17-03-19, 08:53 PM   #255
Pepe79
Dalglish

Quote:

Babel has only just turned 32 and heís playing regularly for his national team again for the past couple years. Canít see any reason why heíd be happy for maybe 500 mins of football next season.

Iíd be pretty certain our scouting department could identify better options for a similar outlay anyway.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 09:01 PM   #256
Liverpool
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Babel has only just turned 32 and heís playing regularly for his national team again for the past couple years. Canít see any reason why heíd be happy for maybe 500 mins of football next season.

Iíd be pretty certain our scouting department could identify better options for a similar outlay anyway.
Clearly still cares for the club, came too young and never proved himself so a chance of redemption. Who wouldn't want to be a part of this?

Plus he can hang out with Virg, Gini and that young RB/CB who has fell off the face of the Earth
Old 17-03-19, 09:24 PM   #257
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Babel was gutted when he scored. He couldn't hide it either lol. Loved how he said he still supports Liverpool in his post match interview.
marcus50bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 09:35 PM   #258
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

He was right about Van Dijk anyway.

Good job big Joel was majestic again.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 09:41 PM   #259
rodo
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
He was right about Van Dijk anyway.

Good job big Joel was majestic again.
still cant head a ball actually at the goal from a corner though
Old 17-03-19, 09:43 PM   #260
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
still cant head a ball actually at the goal from a corner though
Tell me fucking about it. I've been lumping on the big lanky fucker first goal (e/w) for weeks now.
Old 17-03-19, 10:33 PM   #261
BG1973
Fagan

Annoyed with some of the boys today.

They looked a bit complacent, playing low % stuff, bit flash. Creating bugger all for long periods.

More measured when they equalised and we found a goal.
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-19, 10:02 AM   #262
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
I'm on a romantic getaway. Poor planning on my part. Been sitting in the hotel bar glued to the phone for updates. Thank goodness that is over. Now I concentrate on another type of ball game. Enjoy your evening gents.
What like getting them back out of her handbag?
Old 18-03-19, 07:59 PM   #263
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Lallana was totally off the pace yesterday. He was either knackered after playing more than hes used to or was being complacent after posting a good performance the week before.

Fabinho and Fermino worked their socks off
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-19, 08:41 PM   #264
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Lallana was totally off the pace yesterday. He was either knackered after playing more than hes used to or was being complacent after posting a good performance the week before.

Fabinho and Fermino worked their socks off
Harsh. Having a quick look at stats on Official, Lallana won as many tackles as the rest of midfield and attack put together, including Milner. Only Van Dijk had a better dual won percentage and aerial dual won percentage. This despite being taken off quite early.

Wasn't a classic performance by any means, but he still put a shift in.
Old 18-03-19, 09:18 PM   #265
RedReet

Fulham also hit us on counter from one of our corners midway through the second half. Lallana, who was in the corner as a short option, ran full length of pitch, got in the box and blocked the attackers shot with his head.
Old 18-03-19, 09:21 PM   #266
danperkins

Lallana worked hard but was poor imo... he wasn't alone and wasn't the worst either by a long shot. He just needs a sustained period without injury much like Matip. Whether that happens or not is a different story. We ground that result out yesterday, bit of a mid week hang over and can take nothing for granted against sides in the relegation zone.

Last edited by danperkins; 19-03-19 at 07:07 AM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 03:27 AM   #267
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I actually don't think Lallana was poor. He was steady and contributed to the win.
Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM   #268
BG1973
Fagan

Don’t think we ground out the result, we were just incredibly wasteful esp from the fullbacks.

Been doing it for a while - Burnley we deserved four and scored them. But the goals all came from their errors. If we had have converted the good play we had into proper chances, the chances our play merited, we would have scored four more.

Something doesn’t look quite right at the sharp end.
Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM   #269
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1973 View Post
Don’t think we ground out the result, we were just incredibly wasteful esp from the fullbacks.

Been doing it for a while - Burnley we deserved four and scored them. But the goals all came from their errors. If we had have converted the good play we had into proper chances, the chances our play merited, we would have scored four more.

Something doesn’t look quite right at the sharp end.
I agree they were wasteful but they were also let have the ball, it was a clear tactic of Fulham to give our fullbacks space but pack the box. I thought it was an odd tactic when the game started, commentators kept commentating on the amount of space our fullbacks were being given. How many crosses did Trent have... it was ridiculous. But yeah the delivery was shit most of the time. Trent has such a lovely hit of a ball too but like Mane, I think the more time he has to think, the worse his end product is. Fulham were comfortable and we were comfortable but in the end we had to work for that one. Bobby and Mo have racked up decent numbers but both have been a way off their best this season imo.
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM   #270
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1973 View Post
Donít think we ground out the result, we were just incredibly wasteful esp from the fullbacks.

Something doesnít look quite right at the sharp end.
I have to say I find the tactics of firing (high) crosses into the box from the fullbacks an odd one. I know that they have decent delivery Trent in particular, but none of our front three are really suited for playing that way, they will score a few headers but 90% of the time you would expect them to be beaten in the air by the CB. It just seems a really low percentage play. It works from set pieces if you are bringing CBs up but not so much from open play.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM   #271
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
I have to say I find the tactics of firing (high) crosses into the box from the fullbacks an odd one. I know that they have decent delivery Trent in particular, but none of our front three are really suited for playing that way, they will score a few headers but 90% of the time you would expect them to be beaten in the air by the CB. It just seems a really low percentage play. It works from set pieces if you are bringing CBs up but not so much from open play.
I dont think it is a tactic. Both fullbacks can do better with crosses. They seem to be rushing their crosses. They need a little more composure on the ball in my opinion
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM   #272
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Spot on about our puny strikers being out jumped and out muscled by any CB's.
If they are already sitting deep and compact then a ball into the mixer is often a waste.
Its only going to work well for us if we are breaking out and they dont have the bus fully parked.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #273
BG1973
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
I dont think it is a tactic. Both fullbacks can do better with crosses. They seem to be rushing their crosses. They need a little more composure on the ball in my opinion
Agree - Trent hit four first time shit house crosses... total waste.

No need - he’s got the beckham bend it round a defender in the way skill - more conpuare to come please!
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #274
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The tactic with full backs isn’t to punt high balls into the box though (even though sometimes that works).

They make decoy runs out wide off Mo and Sadio. Every time. Sometimes they are played in, other times they aren’t. If they are played in it is typically behind the full back where they are looking to play the ball across the area or pull back.

I’d say it is our most effective attacking area, given the disruption it causes and the success in terms of assists it creates.

There is a lot of chat about last season, but we have to consider last season we had the unknown xfactor of Mo. Teams have had a year of getting used to playing against us so we have had to find other ways. Last seasons success came at a price - goals conceded. This season we are tight defensively and the second most productive team in attack.

Pinging balls into the area for the big number 9 to stick into the net is bygone era football and PlayStation.

We are statistically the best team from set pieces and I would imagine up there in terms of crossing assists.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM   #275
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
The tactic with full backs isnít to punt high balls into the box though (even though sometimes that works).

They make decoy runs out wide off Mo and Sadio. Every time. Sometimes they are played in, other times they arenít. If they are played in it is typically behind the full back where they are looking to play the ball across the area or pull back.

Iíd say it is our most effective attacking area, given the disruption it causes and the success in terms of assists it creates.

There is a lot of chat about last season, but we have to consider last season we had the unknown xfactor of Mo. Teams have had a year of getting used to playing against us so we have had to find other ways. Last seasons success came at a price - goals conceded. This season we are tight defensively and the second most productive team in attack.

Pinging balls into the area for the big number 9 to stick into the net is bygone era football and PlayStation.

We are statistically the best team from set pieces and I would imagine up there in terms of crossing assists.
Yes. However, we could be much much better. Too many lofted crosses in open play and not enough lofted corners in the last few league games
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #276
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Yes. However, we could be much much better. Too many lofted crosses in open play and not enough lofted corners in the last few league games
I think we have scored 5 headed goals from crosses in the last few games? Thats excluding other crosses that have led to goals (Firmino to Sadio v Fulham, and there will be others).

VVD 2 v Watford.
Sadio 1 v Watford.
VVD 1 v Bayern (corner)
Sadio 1 v Bayern.

Last edited by Buzzo; Yesterday at 12:39 PM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM   #277
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
I think we have scored 5 headed goals in the last few games?

VVD 2 v Watford.
Sadio 1 v Watford.
VVD 1 v Bayern (corner)
Sadio 1 v Bayern.
I knew you would come back with this.....This goes to prove the worth of a good cross, we would had a lot more if crossing. Too many low near post nothing corners, especially from TAA. I am not knocking him, its just an observation. We have the heading power at corners, just target them
Old Today, 06:42 AM   #278
BG1973
Fagan

Quote:
The tactic with full backs isnít to punt high balls into the box though (even though sometimes that works).

They make decoy runs out wide off Mo and Sadio. Every time. Sometimes they are played in, other times they arenít. If they are played in it is typically behind the full back where they are looking to play the ball across the area or pull back.

Iíd say it is our most effective attacking area, given the disruption it causes and the success in terms of assists it creates.

Fair but in TAA's case they were all hopeful low % first time crosses, not on to runners. Time and a place. In those scenarios to me they showed a lack of composure rather than following a deliberate plan.

And the lack of composure is where our problems up top stem from IMO.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC