It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 27-09-19, 12:51 PM   #2241
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

That is a brilliant and well considered article
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-19, 05:54 PM   #2242
dom9
Ant Pisser

Keep digging Pep

Benjamin Mendy tweet row: Bernardo Silva an exceptional person, says Pep Guardiola - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49855441
Old 27-09-19, 05:56 PM   #2243
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He is totally missing the point.

And if ever a group of supporters has discussed racism in football... then we are they.
Old 27-09-19, 06:06 PM   #2244
dom9
Ant Pisser

To be honest, he could do with going on the same course as the one Silva should be told to go on.

Miguel Delaney made a good point the other day in that countries in southern Europe have not historically had as much immigration when compared to, say the UK or France. So they've essentially not had to deal with and solve the problem of racial integration. This has lead ignorance across the board, and behaviour which to most people here would be classed as completely unacceptable. Be it through jokey banter, misplaced respect (monkey chants on the terraces) or whatever.

They're 30 plus years behind us on that journey.

Remember watching as recently as the 80s sitcoms such In Sickness & Health, Only Fools And Horses or Mind Your Language, or gollywogs on marmalade jars to see how far we have come (and there's a way to go yet).

So there's the context, but that's not an excuse.

Last edited by dom9; 27-09-19 at 06:10 PM.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-19, 06:23 PM   #2245
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I was a kid in Scotland when Mark Walters signed for Rangers, I would have been about 12 and the racism was off the scale. I am fairly sure Mark Walters at that point was the only black player in the SPL. I recall hearing all of the jokes at Primary School, not really understanding what racism was, but knowing it wasn't right. When Rangers played Hearts I recall the amount of bananas being thrown on the pitch. It was not jokey banter it was malicious and I remember some kids thinking it was hilarious. I still recall hearing the jokes.

Actually, just found a clip.

And an article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42371953

There remains a massive amount of misunderstanding up here I'd say, but now at least most people are trying, I cant say it is any better than that.

Interestingly, my kids are growing up aware of racism, they watch Newsround at school and the incidents this season have been discussed. They just don't understand it on any level at that age, which is reassuring. And they are instantly involved in a far more multicultural society.
Old 01-10-19, 07:50 PM   #2246
rodo
Shankly

Old 01-10-19, 08:32 PM   #2247
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The excuses are embarrassing.

As if we’ve not experienced in the past throughout Europe. At least in the UK we acknowledge we have a problem.
Old 01-10-19, 10:33 PM   #2248
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

"Normal, white skin"

WTAF
Old 01-10-19, 11:02 PM   #2249
Exiled_red
Paisley

est1892 > Football > General Football