It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 26-07-11, 10:16 AM   #41
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
God no. I have never seen anything to remotely suggest he could be a manager.
Aye.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 30-07-11, 12:14 PM   #42
Baracus
Roggy

So the twitters were right. Out till September, not even started pre-season.

Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-11, 12:15 PM   #43
IN_RAFA_WE_TRUST
Hodgsoned

Don't matter, we will do ok without him. But once he is back He's going to destroy teams. I have a feeling he is going to have one of his best seasons ever.
IN_RAFA_WE_TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-11, 12:24 PM   #44
Vermilion
Shooterista

Till September eh, and in hospital for 7 days undergoing a course of anti biotics to do with his groin op, precautionary, they say.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-11, 12:24 PM   #45
-V-
Paisley

Nah, too much blind faith on here regarding Stevie. He's been on the decline for a couple of years now and we'll never see the old Gerrard again. He will keep having injury plagued stop start seasons.

Thats why we need to keep hold of both Meireles and Aquilani
-V- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-11, 12:25 PM   #46
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14352417.stm

Quote:
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is expected to be out until September because of a groin problem.

Gerrard, 31, began a course of antibiotic treatment for an infection on Saturday and is expected to remain in hospital for several days.

Gerrard will miss the start of his side's Premier League campaign and possibly England's two Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Wales.
Old 30-07-11, 12:27 PM   #47
Tee
El Pistolero

Not surprised by the news tbh.

I just hope and pray that when he comes back he genuinely will be 100% fit.
Old 30-07-11, 12:27 PM   #48
Rowan
Shankly

I can understand, given that it's only one year till the euros, why he doesn't fuck off England. That doesn't mean he shouldn't though. Just bin it, Stevie. They'll never win anything man.
Old 30-07-11, 12:28 PM   #49
JohnDoe
Ian Holloway

I don't think he'll be back in September.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-11, 12:29 PM   #50
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Aye, that's the worry for me. This seems a real biggie, and at this stage of his career it's crucial they get him right. Can see it rumbling on.
Old 30-07-11, 12:29 PM   #51
Arn
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
Till September eh, and in hospital for 7 days undergoing a course of anti biotics to do with his groin op, precautionary, they say.
You probably need to add a couple of months until he is match fit and done the pre-season training, at least a part of it.

I don't expect to see a 100% match fit Gerrard until November or early December.

It took Messi and Eto'o around six months to get back to full match fitness after they had the same kind of injuries and operations.

Last edited by Arn; 30-07-11 at 12:40 PM.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-11, 12:36 PM   #52
JohnDoe
Ian Holloway

I think Gerrard is done as a big time player for us, even if/when he returns.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-11, 12:48 PM   #53
IN_RAFA_WE_TRUST
Hodgsoned

Give him an injection of Kuyt's blood.
Old 30-07-11, 01:15 PM   #54
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

You've got to wonder if he'll ever get back to full fitness.

Could be a sad end to a tremendous player.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-11, 01:32 PM   #55
Fernandinho
Where the bloody hell are ya?

lets hope not.
Old 30-07-11, 02:05 PM   #56
Craig_H
Hodgsoned

So that's half of our matchwinners out of action. And Suarez borderline whether or not he'll make the opening day. When i've been banging on about buying matchwinners instead of 'decent and solid' performers, this is kinda why...

Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-11, 02:29 PM   #57
el matador
Facing the firing squad for suggesting Brian McBride as a transfer target!

while i dont think gerrards finished i dont think he'll be back before xmas and wont play more than 20 games this season.

the greatest lfc player of our generation is in the twilight of his career and its something that were going to have to accept, might mean we need to bring in another midfield player if aquilani is to be sold.

sad news.
Old 30-07-11, 02:42 PM   #58
Baracus
Roggy

Whatever will be, will be...Ste Gerrard, Gerrard

Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-11, 03:00 PM   #59
Shanks
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
So that's half of our matchwinners out of action. And Suarez borderline whether or not he'll make the opening day. When i've been banging on about buying matchwinners instead of 'decent and solid' performers, this is kinda why...

Who are these so called "Matchwinners that want to come to a club that isn't playing in Europe and are available?

It's only Gerrard here, not half the frickin squad..

I think we are more than covered in the midfield dept..
Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-11, 06:10 PM   #60
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
If he misses our opening games, he'd better not be in the England squad for those qualifiers
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 30-07-11, 06:40 PM   #61
IN_RAFA_WE_TRUST
Hodgsoned

Is Connor Coady a similar player to Gerrard, when he was younger.
Old 31-07-11, 06:47 PM   #62
Charly
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN_RAFA_WE_TRUST View Post
Is Connor Coady a similar player to Gerrard, when he was younger.
What?

Superhuman?

I seriously doubt we will just unearth another Stevie G. I would settle for someone who is just "very good" or even "decent". I think we have been a little spoilt with some of the players that have come through. I doubt we will see another Stevie G come through in this country, let alone for Liverpool (at least not for a while).

Thing is, Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea all won the league without Stevie G. He will never hit the heights of the Houllier reigeme, and nor should he need to at 31, with hopefully better players around him. Unfortunately, most top players start to wind down at that age, so if we need to start planning for a post SG Lfc, we may as well start now.

I do see elements of Stevie G in other youngplayers we have, but SG seemed to roll up everything in one package. Like for like he is irreplacable.So its probably a good time to start to think differently

Who knows how bad we might have been under Houllier and Benitez without Gerrard, but Kenny has come in without that luxury. The biggest shame for me is that Gerrard would have probably thrived in the system Kenny is likely to employ.
Old 31-07-11, 08:13 PM   #63
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Think this is the end of gerrard now.....he will now become a bit part player.......injuries now seem to be taking there toll on him........what a legend
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-11, 08:25 PM   #64
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Like he didn't thrive up front for Rafa.
Old 31-07-11, 10:09 PM   #65
Charly
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Plod View Post
Like he didn't thrive up front for Rafa.
Did not say that he didn't.

He was wasted that far forward though, in my opinion. Good partnership with Torres, but he had Alonso and Mascherano in the side, and Rafa wanted to accomodate all 3. Didnt work after Alonso left though.
Old 31-07-11, 10:10 PM   #66
Mattshark
Still Blames Thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post

He was wasted that far forward though, in my opinion. Good partnership with Torres, but he had Alonso and Mascherano in the side, and Rafa wanted to accomodate all 3. Didnt work after Alonso left though.
I think he was at his best that far forward, he lacks the discipline for a centre mid.
Mattshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-11, 10:27 PM   #67
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:

Wasted?!

He scored and created loads of goals!
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-11, 10:28 PM   #68
Charly
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattshark View Post
I think he was at his best that far forward, he lacks the discipline for a centre mid.
I actually preferred him on the right. I though he played his best football there under Houllier.
Old 31-07-11, 10:35 PM   #69
Charly
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Wasted?!

He scored and created loads of goals!
AFter Alonso left, he scored 9 and assisted 7 in a forward position in the league. Roughly what he was getting in midfield. And the whole midfield became shit. He should have moved Gerrard back.
Old 31-07-11, 10:57 PM   #70
CJ
Shadow Inanity Secretary

Quote:
I actually preferred him on the right. I though he played his best football there under Houllier.
didnt he do that under Rafa on the right?

of you think he was best on the right that is
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 12:15 AM   #71
Charly
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
didnt he do that under Rafa on the right?

of you think he was best on the right that is
I think Gerrard had his best season on the right, during Houlliers reign (cant remember Rafa playing him there consistantly). After that, he seemed to dial it down a notch. I preferred him all gung ho. Discipline is for defensive players. You dont shackle your best player, imho.
Old 01-08-11, 12:30 AM   #72
Mostar
Chief Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Neither do I.

Even if some how that happens it will take him at least a month before he gets full match fitness.

Wonder what impact if any this will have on the decision to let Aquilani go or stay..
Member #1 of the Luis Suarez fan club
Mostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 07:59 AM   #73
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Eh? He never consistently played on the right for Houllier- Murphy, Barmby & Vlad used to play there & Stevie played at CM, ahead of Didi. He refers to the times he was shunted out to RM as the "Graveyard Shift" in his book.

The only time he played RM with consistency was in the 05-06 season under Rafa, when Xabi and Momo were the CMs & even then he was also deployed centrally.

His role in front of Masher & Xabi & behind Torres was by far his most "unshackled " & productive position in terms of goals and assists.

You're right about Xabi of course, always said he was our most important player.
Old 01-08-11, 10:15 AM   #74
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Eh? He never consistently played on the right for Houllier- Murphy, Barmby & Vlad used to play there & Stevie played at CM, ahead of Didi. He refers to the times he was shunted out to RM as the "Graveyard Shift" in his book.

The only time he played RM with consistency was in the 05-06 season under Rafa, when Xabi and Momo were the CMs & even then he was also deployed centrally.

His role in front of Masher & Xabi & behind Torres was by far his most "unshackled " & productive position in terms of goals and assists.

You're right about Xabi of course, always said he was our most important player.
Old 01-08-11, 10:38 AM   #75
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:

Old 01-08-11, 10:43 AM   #76
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:

Old 01-08-11, 11:13 AM   #77
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:

RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 11:30 AM   #78
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattshark View Post
Agreed

The most disciplined performances hes given for years was when he played central midfield against United at Anfield this year

However you could argue that he was disciplined because he physically couldnt do any more (because he was carrying the injury)

I think a fit Gerrard will still bomb on and evacuate the central ground too much
Old 01-08-11, 11:45 AM   #79
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post

Craig, Craig, Craig. There's always a bird who you see in a bar that you want to bang but no matter how much YOU want it, she's out of your league. You have to just let it go buddy.

Let it go

Actually, I hope we win it, tie the cup to a rope and drag it behind the bus in our PL victory parade. [Kenneth 4:2]
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 12:00 PM   #80
Chrono
Almost The Shittest Cowboy

Some right doom mongers on this site. A Gerrard running at half his normal ability is still better than a good 90% of the players in this league (or any other). He will be back and I don't believe for a minute he is finished. It's tragic that he hasn't ever won the league when you think of some of the dross players that have.

Stevie
Chrono is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC