It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 14-10-19, 05:16 PM   #2761
fabinho
Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
Do you have any other recommendations I can swerve?

Anything by Bill Burr

Last edited by fabinho; 14-10-19 at 05:18 PM.
fabinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-19, 05:22 PM   #2762
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabinho View Post
I found it hilarious. As you say, its subjective, but the crowd were certainly enjoying too, so I'm not alone...
There certainly a 'thing' where paying crowds get a little too ecstatic over a shit comedian cos they have paid and are intent on getting their monies worth of chuckles.
Have you ever seen a michael mcintrye crowd on tv, they look like they've all been on the nitrous

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-19, 01:51 PM   #2763
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
There certainly a 'thing' where paying crowds get a little too ecstatic over a shit comedian cos they have paid and are intent on getting their monies worth of chuckles.
Have you ever seen a michael mcintrye crowd on tv, they look like they've all been on the nitrous
No.... just no.

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-19, 06:57 PM   #2764
Angryred
Dalglish

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
How does a paedophile find an 8 year old in the woods?

Quite satisfying.
So how is this one any different to mine in terms of depravity?...

Fuck off with the double standards!
Old 15-10-19, 07:04 PM   #2765
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryred View Post
So how is this one any different to mine in terms of depravity?...

Fuck off with the double standards!
It's not racist
Old 15-10-19, 07:28 PM   #2766
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

I don't think racial jokes are off limits, but that had all the subtly of Fredo on a wind up.
Old 15-10-19, 09:54 PM   #2767
fidget
Shankly

Social norms hold some people back from open expressions of prejudice against social groups/minorities.
Disparagement humour (any attempt to amuse through the denigration of a social group or its representatives) is both a vehicle for those prejudices to be aired and an attempt to make airing them acceptable.
Hostile message towards target and a conflicting message that "it's okay it's only a joke".
If the implicit message that it's ok to make light of discrimination is accepted then that creates a norm of tolerance of discrimination and personal expression of prejudice without needing to couch it in joke format.

cliff notes
If people are okay with a joke like that they should have no issue with someone being openly racist.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-19, 09:59 PM   #2768
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

There's some bold statements there without substance backing them up.

As ever, context is key. If someone posts that on their Facebook feed then they are inflicting it on people who did not voluntarily participate in the 'comedy' context, and who are open to interpret it more widely. If someone opts to see a particular stand up comedian, or enters a thread called Poor/Bad Taste Jokes, then they can only receive it in a limited number of ways. Any interpretation other than an attempt to amuse and or shock would be a misreading.

As for the idea that punching down in comedy creates a climate that makes vindictive comments more acceptable, well a) I'm not sure that's true, particularly where shock value is part of the joke, and b) that is on the people with prejudices, censoring one thing in case other people say something else is an attack on free speech. People have to own their own motives and actions.

The fact that the joke posted had very little comedic merit complicates things somewhat, making it difficult to defend on any level.

Last edited by Kenneth; 15-10-19 at 10:12 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-19, 11:29 PM   #2769
fidget
Shankly

Being funny is not the aim of the "joke".
It's a vehicle for pushback against progress.
Or "political correctness gone mad" as racists like to call it.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 12:26 AM   #2770
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

There is no aim of a joke, only an aim of a joke teller. And I don't think you can assign a single collective motivation behind anyone telling it.
Old 16-10-19, 06:19 AM   #2771
Nicey
Paisley

Not a joke but made me a laugh all the same

How old are the kids now Frankie ? (Boyle)
There are 2 and 5
I have a lot of sleepless nights now ....
Crowd goes awwwwwwww
To which Frankie finishes his sentance
wishing I had finished up on their mothers tits

HAHAHA !! There only every be one Frankie Boyle haha
Old 16-10-19, 08:37 AM   #2772
Alex
Administrator

Im going to ask for a bit of feedback, but tbh I think its time this thread went the way of the Dodo.

We get a lot of reports when people post a joke in here usually (although this thread is fairly quiet).

A lot of the stuff that gets posted is the sort of thing that you and your friends might find funny. But a wider community that strives to be as inclusive as possible just doesnt.

So I dont know, what is everyone's thoughts on the topic?
Old 16-10-19, 08:45 AM   #2773
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Well, it's not been funny very often, and certainly not for a long time. If it was then I might put together a defence, but what's the point?
Old 16-10-19, 08:47 AM   #2774
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

I don't think I've looked at it for years. Only noticed it pop up now on the real time feed.

Just reading the last page or so is enough for me to say that nuking it would be understandable.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 09:33 AM   #2775
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Get rid imo
Old 16-10-19, 09:51 AM   #2776
Reece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Im going to ask for a bit of feedback, but tbh I think its time this thread went the way of the Dodo.

We get a lot of reports when people post a joke in here usually (although this thread is fairly quiet).

A lot of the stuff that gets posted is the sort of thing that you and your friends might find funny. But a wider community that strives to be as inclusive as possible just doesnt.

So I dont know, what is everyone's thoughts on the topic?
I agree (about getting rid).

I never understand the defence for posting absolutely anything in here based on the title of the thread. It's not like the site rules state an exception for this thread.

I appreciate the comment about consistency of moderating in it, but I never personally look at this thread, and only had cause to do so because the "joke" that started this debate was reported by multiple users.

So yeah, easier to just bin it now.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 10:54 AM   #2777
Maxiedge
Shankly

A couple for the road?

In Canada, you're more likely to die from a kick off a moose than a terrorist.
Those damn moose limbs...

I woke up in hospital and the nurse said 'you may not feel anything from the waist down'. I said 'fair enough' and felt her breasts.

alright one more...

My partner wanted us to have sex on the bonnet of her Honda Civic. I refused. I want to do it on my own Accord.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 10:59 AM   #2778
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Not bad.
Old 16-10-19, 11:12 AM   #2779
Yozza
Shankly

Get rid IMHO

Old 16-10-19, 11:55 AM   #2780
RoadEnd
Dalglish

Can we just delete everything but the Ocelot joke. That's too good to get rid.
Old 16-10-19, 11:56 AM   #2781
Angryred
Dalglish

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza View Post
Get rid IMHO
Fair enough, democracy rules...& on another note, having a rethink so apologies if I offended anyone as that joke does not reflect who or what I am all about.
I think it stands for most people who do read or post racist or offensive material are not racist or offensive but just do so out of curiosity, I guess!

Hope we are all cool!
Old 16-10-19, 11:58 AM   #2782
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
A couple for the road?

In Canada, you're more likely to die from a kick off a moose than a terrorist.
Those damn moose limbs...

I woke up in hospital and the nurse said 'you may not feel anything from the waist down'. I said 'fair enough' and felt her breasts.

alright one more...

My partner wanted us to have sex on the bonnet of her Honda Civic. I refused. I want to do it on my own Accord.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 12:11 PM   #2783
baitman
Daddy day care

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
Old 16-10-19, 12:41 PM   #2784
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Shut it down.
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 01:57 PM   #2785
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

I get hammered for saying a joke isn't offensive and then when someone posts an offensive joke as per the thread title, someone gets fucking dogs abuse ha ha! You can't make this shit up.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 03:53 PM   #2786
Gray
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabinho View Post

Anything by Bill Burr

https://youtu.be/L-gbacsUKpc

The first one you posted was gash. This was quite good.
Old 16-10-19, 10:19 PM   #2787
memzey
Fagan

Keep this thread please. One of the best on this whole site IMHO.

Jokes are whimsy and meant to illicit humour. They must be given and taken in good faith otherwise snowflakery rules and down that path hell lies. I’m from an ethnic minority that is also the butt of jokes so have some skin in the game I suppose but what’s funny is funny and this just particular case doesn’t need to be complicated much more than that. That’s just the philosophical argument; in terms of the practical, if you close this thread what are you going to censor next? How are you going to decide what passes and what does not? What standard are you going to apply? Are you sure you are the right person to make those judgements? It gets tricky quickly as you can see.

Remember; The right to free speech is nothing but the right to offend. No one was ever sent to the gulag for praising Stalin too enthusiastically.
Old 16-10-19, 11:24 PM   #2788
EwarWoo
Paisley

Yes, he is the right person, he's the board admin, and it's a private forum with no right to free speech. Regardless he's asking for feedback.

Talking about snowflakes and Stalin has moved me from undecided to close this thing down and burn it in a fire.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-19, 12:09 AM   #2789
5europeancups
Fagan

Jesus listen to all the fairies telling us whats funny and whats not. This thread has all sorts of shit, mostly bad but some occasional gems and for that reason it should stay.
Good grief...
Old 17-10-19, 12:18 AM   #2790
ChesterDave
Paisley

I wouldn't be overly disappointed if it was locked but it would be a shame if it was deleted.
Old 17-10-19, 08:05 AM   #2791
Alex
Administrator

I think if it went that way, I wouldn't delete the thread. As its probably more of a monument than anything else.

Calling people snowflakes and faries only sort of reinforces why I think the thread should be locked off now. Its divisive.

No decisions have been made, and weve not even talked about this in the Mod lounge as its good to get opinions before things are done.

But if something does happen, I think the title needs to change to reflect that fact that we dont want things that could be considered racist or homophobic etc in the jokes. I dont think anyone here is edgy enough to pull of a bit of South Park style satire.
Old 17-10-19, 08:07 AM   #2792
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5europeancups View Post
Jesus listen to all the fairies telling us whats funny and whats not. This thread has all sorts of shit, mostly bad but some occasional gems and for that reason it should stay.
Good grief...
The reason for this is not about whats funny and whats not. Its about what actually offends people. I think like it or not, in 2019 people are a lot more switched on to what jokes do and how they impact people/groups. Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson Im sure were considered funny 30 years ago. But today they are a complete irrelevance to the majority of people.

Also for Clarity, Im not specifically talking about the joke that sparked this off the other day. Thats put to bed now.
Old 17-10-19, 09:30 AM   #2793
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
The reason for this is not about whats funny and whats not. Its about what actually offends people. I think like it or not, in 2019 people are a lot more switched on to what jokes do and how they impact people/groups. Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson Im sure were considered funny 30 years ago. But today they are a complete irrelevance to the majority of people.

Also for Clarity, Im not specifically talking about the joke that sparked this off the other day. Thats put to bed now.
Well put

Old 17-10-19, 12:59 PM   #2794
memzey
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwarWoo View Post
Yes, he is the right person, he's the board admin, and it's a private forum with no right to free speech. Regardless he's asking for feedback.

Talking about snowflakes and Stalin has moved me from undecided to close this thing down and burn it in a fire.
Why? Do admin rights come with a monopoly on good judgement? Where does this path of censorship end? I didn’t call anybody a snowflake but pointed out the trend as is obvious in our society. I stand by my comment about the gulags and taking it out of context does nothing for the debate. The point is not that an admin will send users to Siberia. Did you really think that? Free speech is an almost miraculous privilege we have managed to inherit. Regardless of the technicalities we should approach any curtailment of it with utmost gravity and scepticism.
Quote:

What’s wrong with offending people? It is difficult to do anything in life that someone, somewhere would not find offensive. Where are you going to draw the line, delineating what is acceptably offensive from what just wont do? How well equipped are you to determine the appropriateness of that boundary? Will that line forever be fixed or will you have given yourself the job of always redefining it upon whatever, temporary values emerge? Are you happy to police it 24/7? After you have clamped down on unacceptable speech what next? Will there be certain sayings users will be forced to repeat otherwise they fall foul of being offensive by omission?

I can see the other side of the argument and appreciate the risks you may perceive as needing to be addressed, I really do. I also know that some of the questions I raise above are esoteric in respect to this actual issue but at one level or another they are all at play. Taking a pro-censorship interventionist stance has other risks associated to it which are far worse in my opinion. While no laws are being broken (i.e. no incitement to commit crime or hatred) I suggest leaving well enough alone and letting sensible posters moderate themselves is the best way forward. Of course, that decision does not rest with me. Good luck.

Just my 2c.
Old 17-10-19, 01:12 PM   #2795
Alex
Administrator

To me this isnt a free speech issue. Its an issue with the thread and the title of the thread emboldening people to post jokes on here, that probably on the rest of the forum they wouldn't say.

Currently im undecided, and it seems the community is pretty split (70/30ish) at the moment. The people that seem to love this thread, really love it.

Maybe a renaming of the thread would be a better way to tackle it. "Crap Jokes" or something? Bad taste to me implies that its almost free reign to post whatever you think is funny, ignoring the consequences and others who post on this community.

With regards to your question as to whats wrong with offending people. Id like to throw back at you this one. Why do you want to offend people?
Old 17-10-19, 02:56 PM   #2796
baitman
Daddy day care

Its 2019, every fucker is offended by something...

Some will laugh their tits and others will scream like greta thunberg, its the way of the world. Does that make it right... who's to say.

Old 17-10-19, 03:05 PM   #2797
Fivex
The Wisp

Plenty of rocks to lift across the web though for the really borderline ‘jokes’ - might as well bring the NSFW thread back if we’re happy to have blatantly racist tropes in here imo.

Hello mert.
Fivex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-19, 03:10 PM   #2798
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

Quote:
To me this isnt a free speech issue. Its an issue with the thread and the title of the thread emboldening people to post jokes on here, that probably on the rest of the forum they wouldn't say.

Currently im undecided, and it seems the community is pretty split (70/30ish) at the moment. The people that seem to love this thread, really love it.

Maybe a renaming of the thread would be a better way to tackle it. "Crap Jokes" or something? Bad taste to me implies that its almost free reign to post whatever you think is funny, ignoring the consequences and others who post on this community.

With regards to your question as to whats wrong with offending people. Id like to throw back at you this one. Why do you want to offend people?
I think there is some risk with a thread like this but I quite like the idea of a thread, with an appropriate warning that you may well read stuff in here you find offensive or difficult. A place for those jokes that do make you wince on the basis of reader beware.

It is not a place for pure insults, racism or other prejudice and I guess ultimately it comes down to the Mods/Admins to decide where the line is and other posters to just accept that is a judgement call and you will probably not agree with every decision.

I didn't see the last one to cause a stir. Given what has been allowed in the past, I can assume it was simply insulting/denigrating without any saving grace. It's very hard to write a perfect set of rules for such a thread, but most of us know in our gut when "Poor Taste" moves into insult and prejudice.

Quite how we resolve to learn from these examples, when a post crosses the line it's handy to have the example to refer to so people can start to build a consensus based on precedent of where that line is.

For me, closing it down is overkill, but then I'm not the one having to deal with reported posts and the backlash of having to make a call and implement it. I think overall, the mods have trodden the path pretty skilfully so far (in this thread at least ) so if you can keep it up, do so.
Old 17-10-19, 03:47 PM   #2799
memzey
Fagan

Quote:

I think changing the name to something more descriptive would be an eminently more appropriate way forward than closing/deleting/censoring it (but that's just my opinion).
To answer your question; I do not want to offend nor do I set out to do so. We should note that we are now talking about the philosophy behind our opinions and have moved the topic off from closing down this thread on this website.

Philosophically I would say that to set out to cause offense for its own ends is a deplorable aspiration. I would also say that setting out with the objective to cause no offense is equally deplorable and carries with it a number of attendant problems for individuals and societies. Entirely aside from the fact that the truth is always a casualty of well-meaning censorship, a good enough reason alone to do away with the idea, it is as an expression of harmlessness that inoffensiveness becomes even more depressing. Harmlessness robs the individual of agency and the ability to change just about anything in the world – good or bad. One of the reasons for this is that change is always a destructive act as what was is replaced by something new, sometimes violently so. Harmlessness and complete inoffensiveness are impossible and undesirable outcomes to pursue in my opinion. I’m not alone in this thinking and as you might imagine, others disagree. From that point on you can see quite easily how the robust exchange of views, essential to formulate well rounded and understood positions, can easily be shut down by those that cry offence and those that yield to their demands. Which brings us back to where this all kicked off….

I appreciate that plotting a path through all of that is not easy – Good luck with it! I hope what I have written above makes sense and is received in the same good faith that it is shared in.
Old 17-10-19, 03:52 PM   #2800
dom9
Ant Pisser

Given some of the essays in here, you'd think this was actually important.

And what's Greta Thunberg got to do with anything?

est1892 > General > Jokes, Links & Funnies