It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 20-01-19, 11:48 PM   #3281
Zapater
Dalglish

Pat Lambie retires - one hell of a player, not really a typical Southern Hemisphere fly half, but tactically superb and had great decision making. Never missed a tackle despite being rather small. Responsible decision though considering the repeated concussions he's sustained. Hopefully he doesn't have too many implications later in life. Only 28.

Apparently an absolute gentlemen off the pitch. No one has a bad word to say about him.

https://rugby365.com/countries/franc...eE5xUmtJRxyllg
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 08:24 AM   #3282
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Pat Lambie retires - one hell of a player, not really a typical Southern Hemisphere fly half, but tactically superb and had great decision making. Never missed a tackle despite being rather small. Responsible decision though considering the repeated concussions he's sustained. Hopefully he doesn't have too many implications later in life. Only 28.

Apparently an absolute gentlemen off the pitch. No one has a bad word to say about him.

I saw that also, he was not a typical ZA 10 in so far as he ran a lot with the ball as opposed to ‘only’ having a kicking game. Broke onto the scene when M Steyn was coming to end of his career right?
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 09:16 AM   #3283
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Shows the current strength of the Pro14.

5 of the 8 1/4 finalists.

Good times.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 09:18 AM   #3284
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

Tough news a great player. I had wondered why we weren’t hearing any news about him at Racing.

It’s become such a brutal sport, the stats on the increase in player size and physicality and the increased amount of injuries every game are huge.

It’s sad to see a player finish before his time but seems like he has taken a sensible decision.
Old 21-01-19, 10:40 AM   #3285
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

This is the kind of thing clearly did for Lambie. Shocker from CJ Stander.

Old 21-01-19, 11:34 AM   #3286
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
This is the kind of thing clearly did for Lambie. Shocker from CJ Stander.

WORST RUGBY TACKLE EVER - YouTube
Fuck you Buzzo

It was a bad challenge and ultimately cost us the series, I think CJ was overly pumped trying to disprove the ‘too small’ comments he got when playing in ZA.

I’ll dig out some Jeffries and Caulder (ahem) rucking to put you back in your box now
Old 21-01-19, 11:53 AM   #3287
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Thought you’d like that...!

Yeah, trying to take Lambies head as a trophy during the match was never going to end well.
Old 21-01-19, 02:49 PM   #3288
Zapater
Dalglish

It was a weird one, I actually don't think it's a red. It's stupid no doubt, but not dangerous in a traditional way. I'm fairly sure that Stander didn't deliberately attempt to KO him with his arse. So it is a little unlucky from that perspective, Naas Botha said that he didn't even think it was a yellow.

That was the catalyst for it, he had several injuries in quick succession afterwards - most of them head related.

Super Rugby is starting again soon. I'm seriously not a fan of these new jerseys, don't really like relying on 'cheap thrills' for sport. At least to my knowledge, they will only be used for the domestic clashes. They're all awful but the Stormers one is hilariously bad.

Old 21-01-19, 03:15 PM   #3289
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
I saw that also, he was not a typical ZA 10 in so far as he ran a lot with the ball as opposed to ‘only’ having a kicking game. Broke onto the scene when M Steyn was coming to end of his career right?
Bit harsh, we've had a variety of fly halves not of that mould, it's just that some of the coaches have always favoured that type of player. Not mentioning names, but Meyer, Coetzee, and Straeuli tried to play rugby from a million years ago. Elton Jantjies would be borderline unplayable in an All Blacks set up (given he wouldn't get a game because he'd be 3rd choice, but you know what I mean).

Also worth noting Butch James was our WC winning fly half and he could do it all, even play the crash ball Joking aside, he was a much, much better player than he was ever given credit for.
Old 21-01-19, 03:55 PM   #3290
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
It was a weird one, I actually don't think it's a red. It's stupid no doubt, but not dangerous in a traditional way. I'm fairly sure that Stander didn't deliberately attempt to KO him with his arse. So it is a little unlucky from that perspective, Naas Botha said that he didn't even think it was a yellow.

That was the catalyst for it, he had several injuries in quick succession afterwards - most of them head related.

Super Rugby is starting again soon. I'm seriously not a fan of these new jerseys, don't really like relying on 'cheap thrills' for sport. At least to my knowledge, they will only be used for the domestic clashes. They're all awful but the Stormers one is hilariously bad.
I don't think he meant it either (Stander) but it has to be a red under the 'duty of care' it is reckless and dangerous.

Those kits are fucking horrific are they real?
Old 21-01-19, 06:08 PM   #3291
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Bit harsh, we've had a variety of fly halves not of that mould, it's just that some of the coaches have always favoured that type of player. Not mentioning names, but Meyer, Coetzee, and Straeuli tried to play rugby from a million years ago. Elton Jantjies would be borderline unplayable in an All Blacks set up (given he wouldn't get a game because he'd be 3rd choice, but you know what I mean).

Also worth noting Butch James was our WC winning fly half and he could do it all, even play the crash ball Joking aside, he was a much, much better player than he was ever given credit for.
Jaysus Zap - I was praising Lambie

I remember Butch James - he carried the ball like a no 8!
Old 21-01-19, 06:38 PM   #3292
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Some injuries from the weekend a couple of big ones for Ireland Tadhg Beirne (who had a great game v Exeter) and Iain Henderson, Hamish Watson also out for Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46952652
Old 21-01-19, 06:44 PM   #3293
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Jaysus Zap - I was praising Lambie

I remember Butch James - he carried the ball like a no 8!
Maybe my tone was a bit off, was trying to be jovial - no offence taken.
Old 22-01-19, 12:27 AM   #3294
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Some injuries from the weekend a couple of big ones for Ireland Tadhg Beirne (who had a great game v Exeter) and Iain Henderson, Hamish Watson also out for Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46952652
Beirne is superb, Henderson also out for a bit.
Old 25-01-19, 12:00 AM   #3295
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
And yet I still feel comfortable history shows they always come through but Exeter better than I thought.
I've just got round to finishing watching all last w/e's games now including that one.

Exeter are a decent team but they only play one way and as I posted a couple of days prior in anticipation of the match, they contributed to their defeat by not being adaptable. One out runners against a team good over the ball like Munster is going to be flawed especially as Exeter don't always resource rucks properly.

I did think that Garces was a little over generous on a couple of occasions though, (with French refs once they start to favour a side they seem to keep doing so throughout the game) and whilst there were some excellent Munster turnovers, he gave a couple of pens against Exeter where the jackler was clearly on the man and not the ball which relieved pressure at critical times.

I think your boys will go past Edinburgh without too much fuss (sorry Buzzo) so it looks like Saracens in the SF. If they win that then I reckon they'll take enough confidence to have a decent shot in the final whoever that turns out to be against.

Last edited by Cormack74; 25-01-19 at 12:02 AM.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-19, 11:57 AM   #3296
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Teams have been underestimating Edinburgh quite a lot this season.

Munster will be a challenge, and slight favourites, but I fancy us to win. Look at the Pro14 at Thomson’s last season, a narrow defeat for an Edinburgh team that has improved significantly since. Last season the team lacked belief and a bit of quality. I think we have that now.

Edinburgh’s second half stats are immense recently, only conceding a total of (I will dig the stat out) about 15 points combined in the second half of Champions Cup matches.

Will be a different game to the Munster Exeter game for sure. The ball was in the air for 80% of that one.

Saracens are annoying though. They just bludgeon team to death. Glasgow went at them and the open style of play was effective for a while but Saracens just had too much control on the end.

Anyway, great to have all this to look forward to after the 6ns.
Old 25-01-19, 05:12 PM   #3297
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Teams have been underestimating Edinburgh quite a lot this season.

Munster will be a challenge, and slight favourites, but I fancy us to win. Look at the Pro14 at Thomson’s last season, a narrow defeat for an Edinburgh team that has improved significantly since. Last season the team lacked belief and a bit of quality. I think we have that now.

Edinburgh’s second half stats are immense recently, only conceding a total of (I will dig the stat out) about 15 points combined in the second half of Champions Cup matches.

Will be a different game to the Munster Exeter game for sure. The ball was in the air for 80% of that one.

Saracens are annoying though. They just bludgeon team to death. Glasgow went at them and the open style of play was effective for a while but Saracens just had too much control on the end.

Anyway, great to have all this to look forward to after the 6ns.
We need to see what the carnage from the 6 Nations is like and player availability. We are certainly not underestimating Edinburgh and home advantage counts for a lot.

Scottish teams play a brand of rugby that our more recent structured approach (province and National) hates......they play heavy metal rugby!
Old 25-01-19, 05:33 PM   #3298
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
We need to see what the carnage from the 6 Nations is like and player availability. We are certainly not underestimating Edinburgh and home advantage counts for a lot.

Scottish teams play a brand of rugby that our more recent structured approach (province and National) hates......they play heavy metal rugby!
Was quite surprised that Cormack was so dismissive, but as a Scottish supporter you get used to it, sometimes it’s justified - not in this instance though.

Edinburgh aren’t as expansive as Glasgow (few teams are) and posted some serious numbers for set piece in the Champs Cup, line out is brilliant, scrum is rock solid with Nell, McInally and Schoeman and rock solid front three coaches by Cockerill.

The backs have come on and that’s with some injuries.

And then there’s big Bill Mata. The guy is a colossus. Ball carrying Fijian 8... it doesn’t get better.

As you say the 6Ns will definitely take care of some players, however others should return.

All set for a classic, just a shame it’s the early game on the Saturday 12:35 ko
Old 26-01-19, 12:14 AM   #3299
Cormack74
Shankly

Not dismissive mate, (Edinburgh have been excellent) merely that if they played this game 10 times Munster would win 7. It may well turn out to be Edinburgh on top, I'm only going on probability, so maybe I overstated it by saying "without too much fuss"

For the record I think it would be great if a Scottish team went through and fascinating that Cockerill has done well with them. Looking at all the coaches that Leicester have subsequently got through I reckon they'd love to turn the clock back a couple of years and re-consider letting him go.
Old 01-02-19, 12:01 AM   #3300
Irishnev
Shankly

Just seen the teams for Irl vs Eng - going to be biff, bash, bosch, bang with a lot if high ball it seems.

Henshaw at full back and Van see Flier at 7 the only interesting calls, good to have O’Brien back one the bench. English pack looks formidable
Old 01-02-19, 12:41 AM   #3301
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yep. Going to be a bruising battle. Reckon you lot have got them figured out though.

We’ve got a ton of players out injured.
Old 01-02-19, 08:13 AM   #3302
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Yep. Going to be a bruising battle. Reckon you lot have got them figured out though.

We’ve got a ton of players out injured.
Because it’s Dublin I think we’ll win by <7 points but I wouldn’t be surprised if they win. I think Wales win the championship
Old 01-02-19, 10:14 AM   #3303
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Fuck that.

The Welsh winning it is only marginally more tolerable than the English. The biggest issue you lot have is that you are favourites.
Old 01-02-19, 08:56 PM   #3304
Cormack74
Shankly

FWIW I'm predicting:

Italy 0 wins
Scotland France and England 2 or 3 wins
Wales 3 or 4 wins
Ireland 4 or 5 wins

Too many close games to guess how those wins will occur.
Old 01-02-19, 08:58 PM   #3305
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Fuck that.

The Welsh winning it is only marginally more tolerable than the English. The biggest issue you lot have is that you are favourite.
Old 01-02-19, 09:23 PM   #3306
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post

I base it all on how much grief I’ve had over the years.

Very scrappy game just now. Lots of turnovers and mistakes.

And I hate Gatland.

Last edited by Buzzo; 01-02-19 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-02-19, 09:25 PM   #3307
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Great try by the French there..!

Brilliant offload.
Old 01-02-19, 09:33 PM   #3308
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The French are playing well.
Old 01-02-19, 09:39 PM   #3309
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

And Wales are having a shocker.
Old 01-02-19, 09:43 PM   #3310
Cormack74
Shankly

Yeah the Froggies have been good but the Welsh really haven't turned up yet.
Old 01-02-19, 09:45 PM   #3311
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Yeah the Froggies have been good but the Welsh really haven't turned up yet.
Only one handling error from the French in that weather is brilliant.

Where is Dan Biggar? Ainscombe has been woeful.

John Inverdale
Old 01-02-19, 09:58 PM   #3312
Cormack74
Shankly

As Jonno said when the French play well the crowd give them momentum.
Old 01-02-19, 10:07 PM   #3313
Cormack74
Shankly

Didn't see that Welsh try coming.
Old 01-02-19, 10:11 PM   #3314
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

France just handing this back to Wales.

What a howler that was.
Old 01-02-19, 10:11 PM   #3315
Cormack74
Shankly

That one
Old 01-02-19, 10:12 PM   #3316
Zapater
Dalglish

Fuck me, I turn it on to enjoy France winning and Wales score twice. Murphy's law.
Old 01-02-19, 10:18 PM   #3317
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

France thought they had this and have shit themselves.

Must have been some half time team talk.

‘You’ve fucking got this lads, just chill out’
Old 01-02-19, 10:24 PM   #3318
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

This game is French Rugby personified.

They’ve been horrendous this half.
Old 01-02-19, 10:31 PM   #3319
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Quote:
This game is French Rugby personified.

They’ve been horrendous this half.
Nope, I think you'll find that's the letters F, R, E, N, C, H, R, U, G, B and Y. :handshake :
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 10:37 PM   #3320
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The what are they doing?

est1892 > General > General Sports