It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 20-01-20, 09:53 AM   #3481
Zapater
Dalglish

Hope England bowl us out and weather doesn't come into play. Given the performance we don't deserve anything. Only 2 left now I see, so probable. This team needs to take a long look at itself and application. Equally limited English players are occupying the crease. There are no demons in the pitch and the bowling hasn't been miraculous by any means. There will definitely be changes in the next test, rightly or wrongly.

After this series, I'd recommend for Boucher to tear it up and start from over. With Philander retiring, it's going to be really tough to come up with solutions and I'm not sure a number of these guys have the stomach for it.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 02:03 PM   #3482
RichC
Meh

Cracking test win for England and thoroughly deserved.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 05:15 PM   #3483
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Cracking test win for England and thoroughly deserved.

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 07:53 PM   #3484
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Hope England bowl us out and weather doesn't come into play. Given the performance we don't deserve anything. Only 2 left now I see, so probable. This team needs to take a long look at itself and application. Equally limited English players are occupying the crease. There are no demons in the pitch and the bowling hasn't been miraculous by any means. There will definitely be changes in the next test, rightly or wrongly.

After this series, I'd recommend for Boucher to tear it up and start from over. With Philander retiring, it's going to be really tough to come up with solutions and I'm not sure a number of these guys have the stomach for it.

When does the "arrogant" England rant start
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-20, 10:47 AM   #3485
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Old 21-01-20, 11:38 AM   #3486
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
When I turn on Skysports News and see some ex-pro saying that this is the resurgence of the best team to ever play the game When really they beat an imploding team further hampered by public and government interference. No complaints here, but clearly more to do with SA than England.

If you look at my previous post, I picked England to win in PE and for SA to pull it back at the Wanderer's. Slightly less confident about the statement, but stand by it. Word on the street has it there could be 3 or 4 changes for the final test which isn't necessarily a good thing, but whoever they give a chance to can hardly do worse, can they?
Old 23-01-20, 07:45 PM   #3487
Zapater
Dalglish

So de Kock named ODI captain, presumably he'll assume the test and T20 positions when Faf fucks off. A bit of a weird choice for captain as he's far from the obvious choice. Think they've picked him purely because he's the only player who is undroppable at present. Elgar would be the automatic choice for test captain, but I don't think he wants it.

Heard on the radio the other day that Root came to SA for a year and went to the same school as Elgar. Apparently the only time players who have captained tests from the same school have played on opposing teams. Never knew that, only 2 or 3 years apart, wonder if they knew each other. Feel sorry for Root, having to stay in Bloemfontein of all places.

Need a big performance here, Vern's swansong. Think the cricketing world will only realise how good he is once he's gone. Unbelievably good player. His stats are unreal.

Quote:
Bavuma will be sure to play the next game
I'm a genius who can predict the future... Or things are sometimes just so predictable. 'Earn his place through weight of runs', So, Rabada gets injured and he's back in. Needs a huge performance, no one in world cricket will be under more scrutiny. Hamza is out, and surprise surprise, there is no public backlash. Probably good to get Hamza out of the spotlight, he was horrendous in the last match. Think he'll be a good test cricketer, have a good feeling about him, will need to earn (for him, really) his place back and make it count next time.
Old 25-01-20, 08:57 AM   #3488
Yozza
Shankly

Wtf was Stokes doing?

‘As he was walking off, having been dismissed for two in the final session, Stokes was caught on television responding to a fan off-camera, shouting: “Come and say it to me outside the ground you fucking four-eyed cunt.”

It was not audible on camera what the spectator said to Stokes but witnesses said a middle-aged male wearing a South Africa one-day shirt had walked more than 50 metres to abuse Stokes, allegedly calling him a “ginger cunt” and mentioning Ed Sheeran. Given Specsavers are the main sponsor of Test match cricket in England, the vice-captain’s response was not really on brand.’

Old 25-01-20, 09:00 AM   #3489
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza View Post
Wtf was Stokes doing?

‘As he was walking off, having been dismissed for two in the final session, Stokes was caught on television responding to a fan off-camera, shouting: “Come and say it to me outside the ground you fucking four-eyed cunt.”

It was not audible on camera what the spectator said to Stokes but witnesses said a middle-aged male wearing a South Africa one-day shirt had walked more than 50 metres to abuse Stokes, allegedly calling him a “ginger cunt” and mentioning Ed Sheeran. Given Specsavers are the main sponsor of Test match cricket in England, the vice-captain’s response was not really on brand.’
Standing up for himself against a mouthy gobshite
Old 25-01-20, 10:55 AM   #3490
Zapater
Dalglish

https://m.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Engl...-fans-20200124

on my way to the stadium now. I sometimes where glasses, will definitely call him a ginger cunt if I see him. Warrants demerit points, no?
Old 25-01-20, 10:57 AM   #3491
RichC
Meh

Yup, demerit point seems fair for reaction.
Old 25-01-20, 11:03 AM   #3492
RichC
Meh

That drop
Old 25-01-20, 11:13 AM   #3493
RichC
Meh

And here comes the collapse.
Old 25-01-20, 12:20 PM   #3494
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza View Post
Wtf was Stokes doing?

Surely the perfect time for Specsavers to launch their new ‘4 eyed cunt’ range?
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-20, 12:58 PM   #3495
Cormack74
Shankly

Chucking away a good position so far today.
Old 25-01-20, 01:28 PM   #3496
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

This is great from Wood and Broad
Shaggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-20, 01:40 PM   #3497
Cormack74
Shankly

Yeah ignore me
Old 25-01-20, 04:44 PM   #3498
Zapater
Dalglish

Fuck my life. Going to the wanderers for 30 years. First time I'm fully embarrassed about our team. Left early, even the people there, 16 year old wanting to get pissed. Didn't watch a ball...
Old 25-01-20, 06:21 PM   #3499
Cormack74
Shankly

Shame. You missed some good England bowling
Old 25-01-20, 06:26 PM   #3500
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Shame. You missed some good England bowling
Nope, saw the best batsmen since Bradman get dismissed for 6 in the pub.

PS the Web Ellis is still ours.
Old 25-01-20, 07:01 PM   #3501
Cormack74
Shankly

Poor Temba.

Last edited by Cormack74; 25-01-20 at 07:04 PM.
Old 26-01-20, 09:34 AM   #3502
Zapater
Dalglish

If these are the best bowlers when a couple go missing, it's quite worrying. Paterson and Hendricks don't look cut out for it. I think Pretorius is pure shit, bowls dibbly dobblies and below par with the bat. Elgar's a grafter but hasn't done it in this series, not sure what's up with him. Clearly du Plessis doesn't have the heart for this anymore, he's lost his fight.

Out of the current players only Rabada, Nortje, de Kock, Maharaj and Elgar are up to it and need to be the core of the set up. Would pay Kyle Abbott whatever it takes to get him back for his twilight years. Would also look into Rossouw and van Zyl - I don't rate them at all either, but surely better than what's coming through domestically.

Old 26-01-20, 11:03 AM   #3503
Cormack74
Shankly

Much better from SA this morning until the last 10 minutes.
Old 26-01-20, 12:59 PM   #3504
Cormack74
Shankly

From the BBC:

Quote:
If South Africa lose this match, it would be the first time they have lost eight out of nine Tests since before World War One.

Yikes
Old 27-01-20, 09:09 AM   #3505
Zapater
Dalglish

Good character with the ball yesterday, too little too late though. Game is completely gone, have to set some targets moving forward. Something like score over 350, take the game into tomorrow and have someone in the top 6 getting a 100. Whatever they are, that's what should be the gauge internally, because there's no way they're batting 2 days out or scoring 450+

Quote:
From the BBC:
Yikes
What's even more shocking about that is that we were beating India and Australia in series before that. How the mighty have fallen. Guess losing Amla, AB, Morkel with Philander going, Faf out of form and the way out would make a dent in any team.

Smith said that they're going they're going to discuss the Kolpak situation with the ECB to try to find some solutions - it's really cannibalised the game. That list above is frightening and doesn't include poached players who played for England like Dawid Malan and Keaton Jennings for example. Even though I don't think most of those players improve the Proteas starting XI, it would make domestic competition much better resulting in better players.

Then we get back to politics and could ask would most those players be playing domestic cricket here because every team is forced to select a minimum of 4 black African players per game. Bavuma is the only one on the list who fits that category. So that's 7 spots for other players per franchise per game which means you couldn't fit all of those players into the structure with the existing player pool.
Old 27-01-20, 03:33 PM   #3506
Yozza
Shankly

260-7...

England are nearly there

Old 27-01-20, 03:39 PM   #3507
Yozza
Shankly

267-8...

Old 27-01-20, 03:47 PM   #3508
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

One more wicket needed.
Old 27-01-20, 03:53 PM   #3509
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

All over!
Old 27-01-20, 03:54 PM   #3510
Yozza
Shankly

ENGLAND WIN BY 191 RUNS...

SA 274 all out

Old 27-01-20, 03:59 PM   #3511
Zapater
Dalglish

Well played, Wood was particularly good on a very hot day. Always rated him highly, pity that he's always injured.

Quality knock by van der Dussen. Everyone else probably 10 to 20 short. England deserved the game but should have been closer. Donated around 100 runs in the first innings through shit bowling, wickets on no balls, dropped catches and lack of intensity then got bowled out for 100 shy of par. You can't only play for half a game and that's what made the difference, should have been a tight game.
Old 27-01-20, 04:18 PM   #3512
labourRed
Shankly

Rassie played at our local club.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 06:14 PM   #3513
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I love Mark Wood. Such a shame he's always injured and he didn't lengthen his run up sooner. He's 30 now ffs.
Old 27-01-20, 06:47 PM   #3514
Cormack74
Shankly

Sadly he's nailed on to get injured again any day soon.
Old 27-01-20, 07:28 PM   #3515
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:

What's even more shocking about that is that we were beating India and Australia in series before that. How the mighty have fallen. Guess losing Amla, AB, Morkel with Philander going, Faf out of form and the way out would make a dent in any team.

Smith said that they're going they're going to discuss the Kolpak situation with the ECB to try to find some solutions - it's really cannibalised the game. That list above is frightening and doesn't include poached players who played for England like Dawid Malan and Keaton Jennings for example. Even though I don't think most of those players improve the Proteas starting XI, it would make domestic competition much better resulting in better players.

Then we get back to politics and could ask would most those players be playing domestic cricket here because every team is forced to select a minimum of 4 black African players per game. Bavuma is the only one on the list who fits that category. So that's 7 spots for other players per franchise per game which means you couldn't fit all of those players into the structure with the existing player pool.

Kyle Abbott is a big loss IMO.

Saw him bowling on flattish pitch in the County Championship last year and he still had no trouble picking up 5 wickets in the innings.

Also gave the Aussies a fair bit of trouble when SA went over there and won a couple of years back IIRC.
Old 27-01-20, 07:59 PM   #3516
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:

Sadly he's nailed on to get injured again any day soon.
Should be fine between the him and Archer providing they manage their workloads. Think Archer was overbowled a little and that's why he ran into some issues now. I'm pleased to see that Rabada won't be playing in these ODIs. Even though it's really tempting to play the best fast bowlers in each game across formats it seldom works out like that, bowling fast is very taxing on the body and international selectors need to take responsibility for maximising the length of their careers.

Quote:
Kyle Abbott is a big loss IMO.

Saw him bowling on flattish pitch in the County Championship last year and he still had no trouble picking up 5 wickets in the innings.

Also gave the Aussies a fair bit of trouble when SA went over there and won a couple of years back IIRC.
Most of the players, I understand their reason for going Kolpak, Abbott I cannot. It's usually in one of two camps - Amla, Philander and Morkel who are finishing their careers or Viljoen, van Zyl, de Lange etc who were given a chance and probably aren't quite good enough for international cricket and I understand that.

Abbott on the other hand was unfortunate with timing because he had outstanding established bowlers like Steyn, Morkel, Philander etc ahead of him and then Rabada flying onto the scene. Thing is, he did his spell and would have been first choice for the last several years - he did the hard yards on the fringes and it was all coming together. Same thing happened with Olivier although Olivier is relatively young and was playing every match, so it also makes no sense. Abbott's contract in the UK is apparently on about parity on with his SA contract so it doesn't even make financial sense. He said that he's keen to play for the Proteas again and I think his contact is up soon, so it's definitely something they should look into. Hendricks is an okay backup, but Paterson shouldn't be playing too much test cricket based on this series.

A little part of me is happy that Olivier went because I don't think Nortje would've played otherwise and I think the latter will be a better player in the long run. Ngidi also looks like he can be a decent player if fit and he knuckles down. So there are opportunities for talented players to move up the queue but it's getting a bit ridiculous. I know Russell Domingo, the former coach who is with Bangladesh now (along with McKenzie and Otis Gibson) was furious about it. There was an interview a few years back where he explained the vast resources they invested in guys like Rossouw for example only for them to go a couple years down the line.
Old 31-01-20, 07:29 PM   #3517
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Sibley definitely has a place nailed down - Crawley or Burns to partner him?

Move Crawley to 3 instead of Denly?

Old 01-02-20, 04:12 AM   #3518
SB
Paisley

Do you guys get the BBL T20 matches from Oz over there?
Old 01-02-20, 03:48 PM   #3519
Cormack74
Shankly

Yup.

Been enjoying Hales form especially.
Old 04-02-20, 03:09 PM   #3520
Yozza
Shankly

1st ODI

Eng 214-6 after being 83-4...