It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 17-12-20, 12:22 PM   #201
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Frighteningly good

https://twitter.com/hippokloppamus/s...87128816525313

The injures have opened the door for him but boy has he taken his chance. He is as much a midfield option as any of them now
Just look at him. It's crazy really isn't it, that is absolute elite level stuff already. Incredibly exciting.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 17-12-20, 12:33 PM   #202
wiw
Paisley

I do love that we have two cocky little scousers in our team That bit of magic from Jones and the meg from Trent were brilliant
Old 17-12-20, 12:33 PM   #203
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I wish he'd get an elite level haircut!
Old 17-12-20, 12:36 PM   #204
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I'm predicting Curtis Jones will get 10+ goals next season. For me he's a massive talent, potentially on the same level as Trent.
The two scousers in our team!

Obviously the injuries have given him a chance, but wow he's taken it. Love how he's dialled back the showpony stuff and knuckled down tactically.

He's also a big goal threat for us going forward too.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-20, 12:37 PM   #205
Fivex
The Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Man.

I think this sort of flashy manipulation of the ball comes very naturally to him and he'd be playing like this all the time if Klopp hadn't been his manager. He said something recently about how Klopp and Henderson have taught him how to play 'man's football' and I think this is partly what he means - doing away with this stuff, certainly when it's not necessary, and being more economical in his work.

Great that he has it in his locker though.

https://twitter.com/JP10n/status/1339352747997614080
Just played that 10 times in a row and reflex-giggled in awe & disbelief each time
Old 17-12-20, 12:37 PM   #206
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

It's brilliant isn't it.

When you add Harvey Elliott to the mix it's a pretty exciting future already.
Old 17-12-20, 12:40 PM   #207
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Iím pretty sure Thiago wasnít doing what Curtis is doing at the same age.

It will be good if we can get a few bodies in midfield back and give some of these players a rest in some games, especially Curtis. I have a feeling heís going to the euros .

Pretty much was actually if you mean being a part of a title defending and also a title winning team from his late teens onwards. Thiago broke into the Barca first team at about 18 or 19 and was getting regular gametime in their first team from about 20 and then went to Bayern when he was 22 or 23. Main reason he did not get to stay at Barca was because they had a couple of kind of useful players, like Iniesta, in the team that were in his favoured positions. Would have been like Jones trying to break into a Liverpool team ahead of a prime Gerrard.

But it shows just how far along Curtis Jones is already in his development that he is following the likes of Thiago and Goretzka in being able to go into a senior first team as a late teen, in a positon that is physically and mentally demanding, and not look even a tiny bit out of place. Bodes very well for his future in the team.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-20, 01:14 PM   #208
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Pretty much was actually if you mean being a part of a title defending and also a title winning team from his late teens onwards. Thiago broke into the Barca first team at about 18 or 19 and was getting regular gametime in their first team from about 20 and then went to Bayern when he was 22 or 23. Main reason he did not get to stay at Barca was because they had a couple of kind of useful players, like Iniesta, in the team that were in his favoured positions. Would have been like Jones trying to break into a Liverpool team ahead of a prime Gerrard.

But it shows just how far along Curtis Jones is already in his development that he is following the likes of Thiago and Goretzka in being able to go into a senior first team as a late teen, in a positon that is physically and mentally demanding, and not look even a tiny bit out of place. Bodes very well for his future in the team.
The local aspect is always good for the team but with him and Trent we have the possibility of two genuinely world class local lads. The same level as Fowler, Gerrard etc.....

Like others have said I was worried about his tendency to overplay but he has dialled it right down and he is facilitating the team. One other huge advantage is his physique - he is tall and rangey with a bit more filling out to do - Goretzka is a good shout from a stylistic comparison but for some of the older guys here maybe a bit of Rai to his game
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-20, 02:24 PM   #209
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Our midfield is so functional that its impossible to stand out with the amount of work required. But he just slots in, he doesn't look a level below either Gini or Henderson which is some compliment.

I think he'll get some praise but because he isn't a MoTD player he'll go relatively under the radar which can only help him. We've saved ourselves £50m on the lad, there isn't many 19 year olds that could fit seamlessly into our system.
Old 17-12-20, 02:26 PM   #210
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
The local aspect is always good for the team but with him and Trent we have the possibility of two genuinely world class local lads. The same level as Fowler, Gerrard etc.....

Like others have said I was worried about his tendency to overplay but he has dialled it right down and he is facilitating the team. One other huge advantage is his physique - he is tall and rangey with a bit more filling out to do - Goretzka is a good shout from a stylistic comparison but for some of the older guys here maybe a bit of Rai to his game

Posted it earlier in the thread, but Goretzka is who I see in him. He is a tiny bit behind where Goretzka was at the same age as Goretzka was becoming a first team regular at 18, but physically and mentally he seems to have an awful lot in common with the German. And he is just as fearless as Goretzka was, and has that same "I'm already a senior player" vibe off of him.

Tell you what though, if he goes on to be as good as Goretzka (and who knows maybe even better) then we will have one hell of a player in the centre for the next decade or so.
Old 17-12-20, 11:27 PM   #211
Rafa Justice
Benitez

Love this lad.

Thiago will be a good bench option when he's fit again
Rafa Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-20, 11:45 PM   #212
BigChief
Paisley

Amazing game from him. The clips are great as I immediately stopped watching him and noticed in every clip Wijnaldum and Henderson just walking around taking it easy, not worried about any situation developing or wondering how to progress.
Old 18-12-20, 12:01 AM   #213
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

That's a good point. They clearly completely trust that he will protect and use the ball well. If anything they let him boss things and express himself. If he can add finishing to his repoitoire then we have an absolute work beater coming through

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 07:55 AM   #214
Ams12
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ams12 View Post
Looking forward to seeing his match stats bs spurs!

There was one other piece of skill i saw...was from Trent, i think kane was marking him, the ball came over to Trent and Trents first touch megged the prick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://twitter.com/lfc/status/1339530026627211264?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ams12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 10:19 AM   #215
BigChief
Paisley

Unlucky, Son.
Old 18-12-20, 08:54 PM   #216
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Man.

I think this sort of flashy manipulation of the ball comes very naturally to him and he'd be playing like this all the time if Klopp hadn't been his manager. He said something recently about how Klopp and Henderson have taught him how to play 'man's football' and I think this is partly what he means - doing away with this stuff, certainly when it's not necessary, and being more economical in his work.

Great that he has it in his locker though.

https://twitter.com/JP10n/status/1339352747997614080
Iím so glad someone posted this as I remember seeing it at the time & wanted the cameras to show it again & again. Heís such a talented player, and to think heís just 19. Heís a natural replacement for Gini if he decides his future lies elsewhere.
Old 27-12-20, 07:46 PM   #217
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Possibly his first set back today. Took absolutely ages every time he got the ball, so our transitions from back to front were delayed.

And then, over confidence.

Running with the ball and passing across the front of goal.

My sons under 11’s get hammered for it.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-20, 07:50 PM   #218
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

I think itís harsh on him. He had one moment when he showboated a little bit and lost the ball. Itís his style of play and to be fair to him heís excellent at keeping the ball and knitting things together. First half he was ok as the team was generally playing well. We donít want to suppress what makes him special and if he has to take a bit long sometimes then we need to let him. Heís a ball player and these types of players need to feel the ball to find angles and passes.
Old 27-12-20, 07:52 PM   #219
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

Yeah he was pretty poor today but he is still learning. Really he is getting more minutes than he should at the moment

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-20, 07:54 PM   #220
BigChief
Paisley

I was starting to get more and more annoyed with him before he lost us the two points. But Salah earns my main anger. Scores two last game and then serves up this shit.
Old 27-12-20, 07:56 PM   #221
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
I think itís harsh on him. He had one moment when he showboated a little bit and lost the ball. Itís his style of play and to be fair to him heís excellent at keeping the ball and knitting things together. First half he was ok as the team was generally playing well. We donít want to suppress what makes him special and if he has to take a bit long sometimes then we need to let him. Heís a ball player and these types of players need to feel the ball to find angles and passes.
He is going to be an amazing player. But that was a mistake. When we are only 1-0 up you canít afford to be that casual.

I agree, he is playing a lot more games than anyone would have imagined.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 27-12-20, 07:56 PM   #222
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Robbo did the same to be fair.
Old 27-12-20, 07:57 PM   #223
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Jones is a lovely baller, has a swagger about him but he also slows things down too much on times and doesn't release the ball quickly enough. Playing against teams like Brom with the compact, low block things need to be much quicker.
Old 27-12-20, 08:05 PM   #224
BootRoom
Dalglish

We need to be getting some productivity out of the midfielders other than 'knitting' things together or being the 'glue'; are they scoring goals, creating chances or protecting the back line with stellar destructive ability?
BootRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-20, 08:12 PM   #225
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootRoom View Post
We need to be getting some productivity out of the midfielders other than 'knitting' things together or being the 'glue'; are they scoring goals, creating chances or protecting the back line with stellar destructive ability?
It has been an issue for years.
How many goals do our midfielders score and how does it compare with other teams. lets get some figures

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-20, 08:15 PM   #226
Exiled_red
Paisley

He didn't have a great game but not many did today, I feel some of the negative comments on here are way over the top, he's 19 he is going to make mistakes
Old 27-12-20, 08:15 PM   #227
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Itís not an issue with the way we play. Tactically, they have to ensure we keep the ball first and foremost and block any counter attacks.
Old 27-12-20, 09:00 PM   #228
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
It’s not an issue with the way we play. Tactically, they have to ensure we keep the ball first and foremost and block any counter attacks.
Exactly - the issue is people not appreciating how much work our midfielders have to do. The reason Trent and Tobbo are given free reign is that the midfielders have to cover incase of any breaks.

It’s easy to criticise after a bad performance. But we are top scorers in the league.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 28-12-20, 12:27 AM   #229
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

He will learn more from games like today than the games in which things click easily around him.

Strikes me, going by some of the interviews he has given, as the sort of kid that looks at his bad games and mistakes and works hard to try to make sure he irons the kinks from his game.
Old 28-12-20, 01:41 AM   #230
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
He will learn more from games like today than the games in which things click easily around him.

Strikes me, going by some of the interviews he has given, as the sort of kid that looks at his bad games and mistakes and works hard to try to make sure he irons the kinks from his game.
He's a great prospect with great confidence and ability. He should have been pulled much earlier today as he was holding onto the ball too long and wasn't producing much up top, he then gave that stupid corner away. He'll learn but I'd rather we were 2 up before making a massive mistake. Today he took far too many touches although that goes for the other two in midfield as well. Love the lad but he is partly responsible for dropping two point today. I am a little concerned how many minutes he is being asked to play as well . Considering it's his break through season.
Old 28-12-20, 01:48 AM   #231
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
He's a great prospect with great confidence and ability. He should have been pulled much earlier today as he was holding onto the ball too long and wasn't producing much up top, he then gave that stupid corner away. He'll learn but I'd rather we were 2 up before making a massive mistake. Today he took far too many touches although that goes for the other two in midfield as well. Love the lad but he is partly responsible for dropping two point today. I am a little concerned how many minutes he is being asked to play as well . Considering it's his break through season.
I'd say the shit movement of our front three were responsible for players like Jones holding onto the ball for too long.
Old 28-12-20, 02:14 AM   #232
Jas
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
I'd say the shit movement of our front three were responsible for players like Jones holding onto the ball for too long.
I definitely had that thought as well but it's difficult to get a real reflection of the forward players movement from watching the game on TV
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-20, 03:11 AM   #233
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
I definitely had that thought as well but it's difficult to get a real reflection of the forward players movement from watching the game on TV
I REALLY wish they'd offer an overhead view of the game, Sensible Soccer style!

Do many grounds have the overhead wires and cameras? In fact this would make for a good VAR method, tracking player movements and measuring positions.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC