It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 26-05-18, 10:03 PM   #1
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Cursed

We are. It's time to accept it. Someone upstairs hates us. It's the hope that kills you.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 26-05-18, 10:04 PM   #2
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Have another drink softlad.
Red_Polo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 10:05 PM   #3
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Someone upstairs hates us.
Unit 5? Why do the Indians upstairs hate us? I'm always polite to them?
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 10:06 PM   #4
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Number 19 next May it is then.
Old 26-05-18, 10:06 PM   #5
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Is this our 5th final we have lost on the bounce now? Surely our worst run ever?
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 10:07 PM   #6
RichC
Meh

Ahhh jackanory with this thread. What a surprise
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 10:10 PM   #7
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Just defeatist bollocks really isn't it?

We lost. We didn't have enough. No good moaning or blaming curses. We need to take it on the chin, make the right moves over the summer then go harder and smarter next season.
Old 26-05-18, 10:11 PM   #8
Tatterdemalion
Shankly

But Shurely it was corruption?
Old 26-05-18, 10:12 PM   #9
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post

We lost. We didn't have enough. No good moaning or blaming curses. We need to take it on the chin, make the right moves over the summer then go harder and smarter next season.
If we were cursed, we wouldn't have gotten this far AND qualified for next season's Champions League.

We'll strengthen, we'll improve and we'll win.
Old 26-05-18, 10:15 PM   #10
red g
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
If we were cursed, we wouldn't have gotten this far AND qualified for next season's Champions League.

We'll strengthen, we'll improve and we'll win.
we are building we are getting better, individual mistakes by players not good enough to be in our team, they will be replaced and we go again

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 10:17 PM   #11
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post
Easy now fella, when things go bad the small minded and simple turn to a higher power. Human nature.
Old 26-05-18, 10:20 PM   #12
Exiled_red
Paisley

The reason we have lost out last few finals is because the other team has been the better side and you rarely overturn the odds, today Real Madrid, a couple of years ago Sevilla, Man City in the league cup, Chelsea in the FA cup.
Old 26-05-18, 10:20 PM   #13
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwarWoo View Post
Easy now fella, when things go bad the small minded and simple turn to a higher power. Human nature.
Not having a go at Bob. Just the sentiment
Old 26-05-18, 10:24 PM   #14
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Best player in the world gets injured for pretty much first time all season, a player scores a fucking worldly and your keeper does that. Obviously there isn't a real curse but it fucking feels like it.

Not replacing Phil with another player has left us short. Today it caught up with us.
Old 26-05-18, 10:26 PM   #15
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

We're back in this next season and we will better. What's the point if you give up hope? Hope keeps us going and it's what it should be.
Old 26-05-18, 10:29 PM   #16
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
What's the point if you give up hope? Hope keeps us going and it's what it should be.
Old 26-05-18, 10:34 PM   #17
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
We're back in this next season and we will better. What's the point if you give up hope? Hope keeps us going and it's what it should be.
Yup exactly this!

We lost a final but we also got to a final, that in itself is a massive achievement.

Let's address the lack of quality depth in our squad and look forward to next season. We have Keita who looks a huge step up already

Keita, Allison, Fekir, Tarkowski and Torreira.
Old 26-05-18, 10:35 PM   #18
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Best player in the world gets injured for pretty much first time all season, a player scores a fucking worldly and your keeper does that. Obviously there isn't a real curse but it fucking feels like it.

Not replacing Phil with another player has left us short. Today it caught up with us.
The Coutinho sale and no replacement, I was pissed at at the time, and I thought we'd got away with as the front 3 stayed injury free until today. Having another player of that type of quality coming on makes a big difference. I like Lallana but he's not at that level and I worry about his performances since the injuries he doesn't look the player he was, and he did very little today.
Old 26-05-18, 10:37 PM   #19
Phoenix07
The Normal One

The important thing is that this team hasn't reached its peak in terms of being constructed. Even in 2007, it was similar.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 10:46 PM   #20
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
The Coutinho sale and no replacement, I was pissed at at the time, and I thought we'd got away
\Come on now man, we made top 4 and the CL final, we did get away with it. It was a smart bit of business.

Did you genuinely expect more in Jan?
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 26-05-18, 10:49 PM   #21
kubrickscube
Fagan

Did city, Man U, Chelsea or Spurs get to the final? Did any of them m play the full blooded attacking football we did? No. FUck em. We got there , look at our bench, we were punching above our weight. A few quality signings, keep our best players and welcome back stronger
kubrickscube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 10:50 PM   #22
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
\Come on now man, we made top 4 and the CL final, we did get away with it. It was a smart bit of business.

Don't be a twat. We barely made it over the line for 4th when we should have been securing 2nd.
Old 26-05-18, 10:52 PM   #23
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubrickscube View Post
Did city, Man U, Chelsea or Spurs get to the final? Did any of them m play the full blooded attacking football we did? No. FUck em. We got there , look at our bench, we were punching above our weight. A few quality signings, keep our best players and welcome back stronger
Old 26-05-18, 10:52 PM   #24
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
We are. It's time to accept it. Someone upstairs hates us. It's the hope that kills you.
Yep, seems like the curse continues....
Old 26-05-18, 10:55 PM   #25
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
Don't be a twat. We barely made it over the line for 4th when we should have been securing 2nd.
We made it over the line for 4th. Barely or not is irrelevant really. We reached our target in the league and exceeded in Europe.

No point being a pissy moany wanker, we excelled. And we have the Coutinho money to spend this summer rather than uncertainty and last minute fathing.

Works for me.

Why do people always look for the negative? See below....
Old 26-05-18, 10:57 PM   #26
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:

No I didn't expect more, but I don't think that anyone can argue that our squad is paper thin. Lallana and Can are the only players on the bench today who are close to the level of the first team, Coutinho or a player of similar quality would have help the squad significantly today and would have helped make the 4th place finish more comfortable, we could perhaps have finished 3rd or even 2nd.
Old 26-05-18, 11:01 PM   #27
Tatterdemalion
Shankly

Quote:
No I didn't expect more, but I don't think that anyone can argue that our squad is paper thin. Lallana and Can are the only players on the bench today who are close to the level of the first team, Coutinho or a player of similar quality would have help the squad significantly today and would have helped make the 4th place finish more comfortable, we could perhaps have finished 3rd or even 2nd.
Dunno, I think we played a lot better without him. Not sure we'd've made the final if we'd had to make room for him.
Old 26-05-18, 11:01 PM   #28
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
but I don't think that anyone can argue that our squad is paper thin.
It's of the quality needed to achieve our objectives for the season. then we have a player already signed to come in for the first team and a massive wedge to spend on whoever else takes Klopps fancy.

Does 2/3/4th even matter anymore? Were we even expecting a CL final to prepare a squad for? We're going to slate them for exceeding expectations then not having the squad to go a further step above?
Old 26-05-18, 11:13 PM   #29
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
Dunno, I think we played a lot better without him. Not sure we'd've made the final if we'd had to make room for him.
I said him or someone of similar quality, I'm assuming he was always going to go so the more likely was a replacement. Undoubtedly we have played well without him, but I think getting to the final has papered over some cracks, we essentially have 14 or 15 players who are first team quality, a couple of injuries and we are down to the bones of our squad, I don't think another top quality player can hurt.
Old 26-05-18, 11:17 PM   #30
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
It's of the quality needed to achieve our objectives for the season. then we have a player already signed to come in for the first team and a massive wedge to spend on whoever else takes Klopps fancy.

Does 2/3/4th even matter anymore? Were we even expecting a CL final to prepare a squad for? We're going to slate them for exceeding expectations then not having the squad to go a further step above?
We barely had the squad to do it, if Salah (or Firmino or Mane) had got injured in February or March would we have still done it? I doubt that we would. IMO (and I said this in January) I feel that not getting a replacement was a huge gamble. In league terms we got away with it, but we were always on injury away from it falling apart, tonight we weren't so lucky.
Old 26-05-18, 11:18 PM   #31
Fredo

Quote:
You can't legislate for injuries to 3 or 4 first team players really. The Coutinho argument has been done to death and I think we turned up a better team without him and it was the right decision not to panic buy and wait to replace him.
Old 26-05-18, 11:20 PM   #32
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
We barely had the squad to do it
Or in other words, we had the squad to do it. Barely, but we did. They call that efficiency.

We've saved resources for when we can have a real push.
Old 26-05-18, 11:25 PM   #33
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
You can't legislate for injuries to 3 or 4 first team players really. The Coutinho argument has been done to death and I think we turned up a better team without him and it was the right decision not to panic buy and wait to replace him.
You know that you are going to get injuries and suspensions etc, you legislate for that by having a squad which has quality and depth.

Yes we have been a good team without him, but as I say adding quality players can only help the side when you have as few first team quality players as we do.
Old 26-05-18, 11:28 PM   #34
EwarWoo
Paisley

In other words your glass is half empty, ours is half full. We can go round in circles for days, we just have a different way of looking at the world.
Old 26-05-18, 11:28 PM   #35
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Or in other words, we had the squad to do it. Barely, but we did. They call that efficiency.

We've saved resources for when we can have a real push.
Yeah well we had a real push for the CL league this season, who knows when we might get another chance.

If we continue with that attitude, we could remain efficient by not improving the squad we have at the moment because it made the top 4 and a CL final, but that's not the way that you are successful. For me our squad was top 4 quality at the start of the season, selling Coutinho and not replacing him was a huge gamble which paid off in the league because the front 3 stayed fit, in my opinion that was as much luck as judgement and I don't like things being done that way.

Last edited by Exiled_red; 26-05-18 at 11:31 PM.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 11:32 PM   #36
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

We over-achieved this season plain and simple. We weren't trying to build a squad to win the league or Champions League but this and the next window I think we will.

Can leaving is a bit of a blow because it means getting another person in and we don't want to buy too many at one time.
Old 26-05-18, 11:33 PM   #37
Fredo

Quote:
You know that you are going to get injuries and suspensions etc, you legislate for that by having a squad which has quality and depth.

Yes we have been a good team without him, but as I say adding quality players can only help the side when you have as few first team quality players as we do.
Squad building is done incrementally and we have been improving it year after year. It just is difficult to get 5 or 6 players of equal quality in one window and expect them to fit in and be happy to be regularly rotated. Young players come into play as well and you've got to give them a chance.
Old 26-05-18, 11:34 PM   #38
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Squad building is done incrementally and we have been improving it year after year. It just is difficult to get 5 or 6 players of equal quality in one window and expect them to fit in and be happy to be regularly rotated. Young players come into play as well and you've got to give them a chance.
Old 27-05-18, 12:50 AM   #39
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
If we continue with that attitude, we could remain efficient by not improving the squad we have
The entire idea is to remain efficient this season to keep funds available to improve. But don't let that get in the way of your little pity party.

Lets go back to buying any old shit to fill spots so we can say we at least tried and keep the knee jerkers satisfied!

See below.
Old 27-05-18, 12:52 AM   #40
dom9
Ant Pisser

Stupid fucking thread.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC