It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 23-03-17, 06:32 PM   #41
MrMichael
The Pun Police

I think on balance at the moment we need defenders who can actually defend first and foremost

Clyne does seem to have become annoying less and less impactful going forward over his time with us and TAA might turn out to be very good in time but I'm unconvinced our current defensive setup is ideal for blooding him in currently.
And I must face the men I slew.
What tale shall serve me here among
Mine angry and defrauded young?
MrMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 23-03-17, 06:34 PM   #42
MrMichael
The Pun Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yeah I didn't say Clyne should be dropped for TAA ...but I'd be looking to drip feed him the odd game here and there. Clyne plays more games than anyone else and TAA is an able deputy. If we're not going to give him any more than League Cup games against dross it might be worth him going on loan for 3 months in August imo.
He'd get more games as Clyne's backup next year you'd think, particularly if we end up in the Europa
And I must face the men I slew.
What tale shall serve me here among
Mine angry and defrauded young?
MrMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-17, 07:46 PM   #43
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yeah I didn't say Clyne should be dropped for TAA ...but I'd be looking to drip feed him the odd game here and there. Clyne plays more games than anyone else and TAA is an able deputy. If we're not going to give him any more than League Cup games against dross it might be worth him going on loan for 3 months in August imo.
Sorry mate

Its been doing the rounds on twitter lately and I just assumed someone would have made the same point. It seems like a case of the lad who isn't playing must be the answer, we often see players stock going up when someone in their position underperforming.

Clyne is what he is, he isn't sexy but he's stable and the squad has more immediate issues to deal with.
Old 23-03-17, 07:48 PM   #44
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Hasn't Clyne performed well at left back on occasion? Or am I seriously exhausted and my mind is just feeding me Glen Johnson re-runs?
Old 23-03-17, 07:52 PM   #45
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie-9-Fowler View Post
Hasn't Clyne performed well at left back on occasion? Or am I seriously exhausted and my mind is just feeding me Glen Johnson re-runs?
I remember clyne doing a few shifts as LB and did ok but his contributions futher forard on the left were very limited if non existent.
I think he wants to be seen as a solid defender first and foremost and doesnt want to be too fancy and compromise his main duties.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-17, 11:38 PM   #46
kev776
Paisley

why not try Mane on the left and give this lad a run out in front of Clyne, width on both flanks
kev776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 12:30 AM   #47
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev776 View Post
why not try Mane on the left and give this lad a run out in front of Clyne, width on both flanks
i dont like it...

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
Old 24-03-17, 02:31 AM   #48
Charly
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
I remember clyne doing a few shifts as LB and did ok but his contributions futher forard on the left were very limited if non existent.
I think he wants to be seen as a solid defender first and foremost and doesnt want to be too fancy and compromise his main duties.
Like Carragher used to be. Players can still develop their game over time, defenders even more so, as much of their "skill" is how they read the game.

With our defence as poor as it has been compared to other top teams, Id rather have no frills defenders who are more likely to cut out the first ball.
Old 24-03-17, 09:21 AM   #49
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev776 View Post
Mane and Moreno looked very good together in pre-season on the left.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 11:11 AM   #50
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Mane and Moreno looked very good together in pre-season on the left.
They did that seems such a long time ago now! I'm almost certainly in the minority that wouldn't mind seeing Moreno given another go. I can't help like the lad.
Old 24-03-17, 04:37 PM   #51
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

He's cracking Spanish skulls right now, 2 goals.
Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 05:22 PM   #52
Daniel 7
Heretic

I thought the longer term plan for TAA was centre mid? I thought the right back thing was him being blooded, a la Gerrard coming through
Daniel 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 06:00 PM   #53
Paul12
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
What like that goal he scored from the left? Wasn't it the winner?

But i know what you mean.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 07:57 PM   #54
wongers
Houllier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
I thought the longer term plan for TAA was centre mid? I thought the right back thing was him being blooded, a la Gerrard coming through
thats exactly what was suppose to happen maybe it still will
wongers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 11:58 PM   #55
red g
Paisley

Quote:
i never knew that

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-17, 09:36 PM   #56
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
i never knew that
Me either. I thought they played him in midfield to develop his skills but he was always considered a RB?
Old 26-03-17, 12:29 AM   #57
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

I think clyne is at best steady. He gives you a 7 at best. He's rubbish and predictable going forward and does get caught out positionally defending. We have got to be looking for better the way klopp wants us to play because fbs are vital . Whether Trent is the answer we'll not know untill he gets a run of games.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-17, 03:09 PM   #58
gratziani
Dalglish

Thought he was excellent when he came on , could of scored and looked fast as fuck.

Couple of good one two's with Clyne as well , great cameo
gratziani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 10:58 AM   #59
RedReet

If 50m is the going rate for a good FB, how much is this boy going to save us in a few years?

Klopp says he's a lot to work on defensively, but considering how well he coped with Zaha recently, then Ribery and Alaba last night, how good is he going to be once he does? His recoveries are also excellent, so even if he makes that initial mistake, it's not normally that big of a deal.

Wasn't great against Leicester, but bar that, one of our best players this pre-season. Surely has to be in pole position for a start against Watford, even if Clyne is fit. (Clyne still first choice obviously, but I mean no need to rush him back).
Old 02-08-17, 11:24 AM   #60
SB
Paisley

Quote:
If 50m is the going rate for a good FB, how much is this boy going to save us in a few years?

Klopp says he's a lot to work on defensively, but considering how well he coped with Zaha recently, then Ribery and Alaba last night, how good is he going to be once he does? His recoveries are also excellent, so even if he makes that initial mistake, it's not normally that big of a deal.

Wasn't great against Leicester, but bar that, one of our best players this pre-season. Surely has to be in pole position for a start against Watford, even if Clyne is fit. (Clyne still first choice obviously, but I mean no need to rush him back).
I think he's nailed on to start vs Watford. Clyne has had no Pre season & to start him over TAA would be a slap in the face considering how well the young fella has coped recently.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 02-08-17, 02:20 PM   #61
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I didn't care about the careless pushing, that will be come with experience. What is harder to teach is looking up and passing intelligently. He had loads of opportunities to pass or cross the ball and he used them well.

So confident that he will be England's right back for years to come.
Old 02-08-17, 02:22 PM   #62
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
So confident that he will be England's right back for years to come.
What him get crocked on duty in some shit friendly.

Old 02-08-17, 07:15 PM   #63
wongers
Houllier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
I think he's nailed on to start vs Watford. Clyne has had no Pre season & to start him over TAA would be a slap in the face considering how well the young fella has coped recently.
to be honest i think if clyne isn't fit you may see milner at right back and robertson on the left
wongers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 09:53 AM   #64
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongers View Post
to be honest i think if clyne isn't fit you may see milner at right back and robertson on the left
Yeah there's a case for Milner on the right & id expect him to do better than he's doing at LB but I still think it would be a show of faith in TAA if Klopp gave him the start.
Old 03-08-17, 10:31 AM   #65
spud_gun
Paisley

Clyne ruled out of Watford game. TAA's chance to impress.
Old 03-08-17, 10:32 AM   #66
Abro100
The bear, he dances!

Milner for RB

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Abro100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 10:46 AM   #67
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Clyne ruled out of Watford game. TAA's chance to impress.
He's already impressed, a chance to stake his claim for a place... although I think he's a fair amount of work to do on the defensive side of his game yet, so still a development season for him. But at 18 he's way ahead of most of his peers at that age.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 12:14 PM   #68
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
He's already impressed, a chance to stake his claim for a place... although I think he's a fair amount of work to do on the defensive side of his game yet, so still a development season for him. But at 18 he's way ahead of most of his peers at that age.
Old 10-08-17, 01:27 AM   #69
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...tford-13456177

The Echo talking to Trent Alexander-Arnold about his excellent display against Bayern Munich's Frank Ribery in the Audi Cup.

Quote:
Alexander-Arnold opted against seeking out the Frenchman for a memento of the occasion.

“No, I did not think about getting a souvenir or anything,” he said.

“I just went straight into the changing room because that is what I am used to doing. I try not to pay too much respect to the players I am playing against. I think that is what can affect you. You have to go out there and focus on yourself and not who you are up against.”
Old 10-08-17, 02:12 AM   #70
Gray
Dalglish

I think Clyne is a spent force. TAA is the future and should be starting.
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 05:58 AM   #71
frank the tank
Shankly

Could end up with TAA and Clyne in the same team playing full back on each side.....Flanagan and Glen Johnson......and Milner have all been right footers at left back in recent years.....
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 08:54 AM   #72
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
I think Clyne is a spent force. TAA is the future and should be starting.
A spent force? He's 26 FFS and still one of the best RB's in the league. He mightn't be as good attacking as the likes of Valencia, Walker, etc. but he's a solid defender and still gets forward and creates chances. With Salah ahead of him this year, I guaratee his attacking output will be much better than last year, as he performed very well last year when mane was playing.
Old 10-08-17, 09:04 AM   #73
Gray
Dalglish

Not sure what his age has to do with it, he's form has been in decylne for ages ��
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 09:11 AM   #74
RedReet

Quote:
Not sure what his age has to do with it, he's form has been in decylne for ages ��
Because very few players are a 'spent force' in their mid 20's, unless riddled by injuries.

Define ages? I'm pretty sure he started the season off well last year, but my memory is shit, so can't be sure. Had a wee look at the Clyne thread and he was getting high praise mid September and the negative posts only came in second half of season, when Mane was out.
Old 10-08-17, 11:28 AM   #75
DeeTheDog
Benitez

Quote:
Because very few players are a 'spent force' in their mid 20's, unless riddled by injuries.

Define ages? I'm pretty sure he started the season off well last year, but my memory is shit, so can't be sure. Had a wee look at the Clyne thread and he was getting high praise mid September and the negative posts only came in second half of season, when Mane was out.
Mane was not the only contributing factor. Due to our lack of cover at FB he has played nearly every game for the past two seasons plus was part of the England squad for Euro 16, he was clearly knackered playing in a Klopp team which is not only intensive in-game as the FB has to act as a quasi-winger too but by all accounts the training is also one of the most intense.

TAA will be able to provide cover and competition and I think we will see much more from Clyne this season who will still be our number 1 RB.
DeeTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 12:07 PM   #76
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Quote:

well whooshed

too subtle, Gray, but not for me

Old 10-08-17, 12:22 PM   #77
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Subtle my arse, it was just shit
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 12:29 PM   #78
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTheDog View Post
Mane was not the only contributing factor. Due to our lack of cover at FB he has played nearly every game for the past two seasons plus was part of the England squad for Euro 16, he was clearly knackered playing in a Klopp team which is not only intensive in-game as the FB has to act as a quasi-winger too but by all accounts the training is also one of the most intense.

TAA will be able to provide cover and competition and I think we will see much more from Clyne this season who will still be our number 1 RB.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 12:34 PM   #79
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

I think Clyne is not as rock solid defensively as people make out. Although he is a willing runner going forward he doesn't have much of an end product.
I think it is a close call between Trent and Clyne. Trent being the coming force because there is more room for improvement with him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 01:25 PM   #80
Charly
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTheDog View Post
Clyne this season who will still be our number 1 RB.
Also known as...

Our number 2

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC