It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 11-09-18, 08:08 PM   #161
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Are the two issues connected in the way she has tried to imply, probably not.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 11-09-18, 08:12 PM   #162
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Are the two issues connected in the way she has tried to imply, probably not.
Yep, she chose the wrong moment to make the point.

I suspect there is a pent up frustration, but it definitely wasnít the time to bring it up, nor was it relevant because the umpire was within his rights.

Ruining Osakaís first slam is unforgivable, and she canít even back down and apologise now.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 08:14 PM   #163
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post
There were definitely some racist tropes in that cartoon at the very least. Unconscious bias.
I don't think so. The trope is caricature itself. Historically, black features have been caricatured to dehumanise and ridicule. But that doesn't rule out caricature as an art form ever representing black people again. I don't think anyone could have drawn a cartoon in a caricature style and avoided the claims of racism that have been made, and I don't think a professional caricaturist has to avoid a topical story because it centred around a black person having a tantrum.

Last edited by Kenneth; 11-09-18 at 08:19 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 08:19 PM   #164
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Yep, she chose the wrong moment to make the point.

I suspect there is a pent up frustration, but it definitely wasnít the time to bring it up, nor was it relevant because the umpire was within his rights.

Ruining Osakaís first slam is unforgivable, and she canít even back down and apologise now.
I guess it's up to Osaka whether it's forgivable. As bad a taste as it leaves for spectators, I guess it's really an issue for the two individuals to reconcile. I expect Serena will attempt to make amends privately.
Old 11-09-18, 08:29 PM   #165
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
I don't think so. The trope is caricature Historically, black features have been caricatured to dehumanise and ridicule. But that doesn't rule out caricature as an art form ever representing black people again. I don't think anyone could have drawn a cartoon in a caricature style and avoided the claims of racism that have been made, and I don't think a professional caricaturist has to avoid a topical story because it centred around a black person having a tantrum.
All of that is half-true in general, but it fails to address the cartoon itself and ignores the fact that if someone genuinely can't make a caricature of a black person without recalling Sambo or placing them in a simian pose, maybe they ought to try a little harder. The fact Osaka is depicted as a little white blonde girl says it all. I don't doubt there was no racist intent. But there's more than a smidge of unconscious bias in it.
Old 11-09-18, 08:40 PM   #166
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
There are some good articles which explain the fight Serena has had since being a little girl to get to where she is.

Even now The French Open banning her from wearing her catsuit is incredibly sexist, and thatís without going into the racismís she has and probably still does experience.

Sheís an incredible woman and athlete.

In the heat of the moment, could she have handled things better? Yes. Definitely. Could the umpire have managed the situation better given what was at stake. Yes, definitely.

Is there sexism towards womanís tennis? Yes, definitely.
Indeed. Females play 3 sets (which doesn't differentiate a major from any other tournament) and rarely play much more than an hour but earn the same prize money as men who slog it out in5 hour 5 setters. The TV coverage difference is vast, but 'parity' is required, apparently.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 08:42 PM   #167
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
I guess it's up to Osaka whether it's forgivable. As bad a taste as it leaves for spectators, I guess it's really an issue for the two individuals to reconcile. I expect Serena will attempt to make amends privately.
Yeah, Osaka idolises her.

Itís a bit of a shit sandwich really. Itís cliches but tennis is the loser. I hope Osaka gets another chance.
Old 12-09-18, 10:30 AM   #168
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

One thing with Tennis, the almost pugilistic nature of the sport is often overlooked, so in some ways it is amazing that these flash points dont happen more often.

Of all the sports I watch (and it is the only one I still play) it is also probably the one which is the most sporting, and has moments of great humanity given the high stakes.

Old 27-09-18, 03:47 PM   #169
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Britain's Andy Murray beat world number 11 David Goffin - his highest-ranked opponent since returning from hip surgery - to reach the Shenzhen Open quarter-finals.
Old 28-09-18, 07:09 PM   #170
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Lost to Verdasco ffs. Season over.
Old 11-10-18, 09:28 AM   #171
RichC
Meh

Good on him

Quote:
Rafael Nadal opens his tennis academy centre to Majorca flood victims
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/45820609
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-18, 09:11 AM   #172
labourRed
Shankly

Zverev seems like the new tennis superstar, i wonder if he'll have the same competition that the likes of Federer and Nadal had.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-18, 10:09 AM   #173
RichC
Meh

I'll be surprised if he doesn't make it No1 and win some majors. Not sure who else is coming through at the moment
Old 19-11-18, 10:56 AM   #174
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah, he looks class beating Federer and Novak in back to back games is impressive - needs to prove it over 5 sets at a Slam though. Agree, doesn't seem to be anyone else of his level coming through.

Really confident on court interview at the end also.

Interesting to see he has just taken Lendl into his camp also, and straight away achieves his biggest win.
Old 19-11-18, 11:17 AM   #175
RichC
Meh

The most likely to move into their shoes IMO are the likes of Shapalov, Khachanov and Tsitsipas

Khachanov won the Paris masters the other week and the other two have been knocking on the door for a while

Thiem obviously as well but he's been around the top 10 for a while.

Not sure we'll see the levels we've seen with Nadal, Federer and Djokovic for a while again though
Old 06-01-19, 08:39 PM   #176
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Andy Murray is finished, isn't he
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 10:17 PM   #177
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

I would think he probably is, yes.
Old 06-01-19, 10:31 PM   #178
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

What happened to Andy Murray?
Old 06-01-19, 11:08 PM   #179
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
Andy Murray is finished, isn't he
He was a few years ago, sadly it doesn't look like the surgery was a great success. Brutal sport, tennis.
Old 07-01-19, 02:11 PM   #180
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
He was a few years ago, sadly it doesn't look like the surgery was a great success. Brutal sport, tennis.
That hip injury finishes most athletes

Long term I bet he needs to have a hip replacement which will definitely end his career
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 08-01-19, 02:50 PM   #181
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Here is a decent summary of his injury and state of mind. I think the problem is basically the lack of mobility in certain positions coupled with the style of game that made him successful which was in basing able to chase almost anything down.

You have to feel for him. But if any sportsman has the attributes to make it work it is Murray. Can he reinvent himself?

Fingers crossed, the tour has been far more boring without him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46793299
Old 10-01-19, 09:09 AM   #182
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Tough draw for Andy, who lost 6-1, 4-1 v Novak in a practice match yesterday. Apparently not looking that movie.

Quote:
Three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray will face Spain's Roberto Bautista Agut in the first round of the Australian Open.

British number one Kyle Edmund, who reached the semi-finals last year, has a difficult draw against Tomas Berdych.

In the women's draw, British number one and 2016 semi-finalist Johanna Konta will play Australian Ajla Tomljanovic.

British number two Heather Watson faces Petra Martic, while Katie Boulter is up against Ekaterina Makarova.
Old 10-01-19, 06:25 PM   #183
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Outrageous from Dan Evans

Old 11-01-19, 02:12 AM   #184
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Not sounding good for Andy

Will we ever see his likes again?

Quote:
Britain's Andy Murray fears this week's Australian Open could be his last tournament.

The three-time Grand Slam winner, who is struggling to recover from hip surgery, was in tears as he spoke to journalists in Melbourne on Thursday morning.

"I'm not sure I'm able to play through the pain for another four or five months," he said.

"I want to get to Wimbledon and stop but I'm not certain I can do that."

Murray was visibly emotional the morning after his chastening practice match against Novak Djokovic.

Watched by around 2,000 people on the Margaret Court Arena show court at Melbourne Park, Murray was 6-1 4-1 down when the two players called it a day.

The Scot, whose movement was laboured, held serve only once.

In his news conference, Murray conceded: "I'm not feeling good, I've been struggling for a long time.

"I've been in a lot of pain for about 20 months now. I've pretty much done everything I could to try and get my hip feeling better and it hasn't helped loads.

"I'm in a better place than I was six months ago but I'm still in a lot of pain. I can still play to a level, but not a level I have played at."

Murray, who has slipped to 230th in the world rankings, is due to face Spanish 22nd seed Roberto Bautista Agut in the first round in Melbourne.
Old 11-01-19, 02:14 AM   #185
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
From the moment Andy Murray walked into the news conference at Melbourne Park, you felt a sense that something wasn't quite right.

Asked a simple opening question of 'How are you feeling?', an emotional Murray struggled to get an answer of "not great" out before covering his face with his cap and sobbing underneath.

Murray has often showed his emotion on court but this was different. This was raw emotion in a place where players - and indeed sport stars generally - don't like to show their true feelings in front of the world's media.

A sombre silence filled the room before Murray returned to the room, a little more composed, and managed to tell us more.

The toils of the past four months: going to Philadelphia to work with rehab expert Bill Knowles and realising he still can't reach the required physical level which brought him three Grand Slam titles, plus perhaps the harsh reality of being unable to compete with Novak Djokovic in a practice session here yesterday, have hit Murray.

Despite his fragile state, he still managed to fulfil his media duties and there was even evidence of his dry wit coming out as he was interviewed by television crews after the main news conference.

But a cracking voice was never far away as he discussed the pain in his hip and in his mind as he contemplated his future.

And when his media duties were done, the tears flowed again between him and coach Jamie Delgado as they shared a heartbreaking embrace in a corridor in the media centre corridor.
Old 11-01-19, 08:41 AM   #186
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Some incredible response to Andy’s news.

Quote:
ReportReport this social embed, make a complaint
Nick Kyrgios on Instagram: "Andy, I know you take me for a joker most of the time, but at least hear me out on this one old friend. You will always be someone that impacted the sport in so many different ways, I know this was never the way you wanted to go out, but hey it was a heck of a ride.

"You took me under your wing as soon as I got on tour, and to this day you have been someone I literally just look forward to seeing. You are one crazy tennis player, miles better than me, but I just want you to know that today isn’t only a sad day for you and your team, it’s a sad day for the sport and for everyone you’ve had an impact on. Which leaves me big fella..

"These are a couple photos, that should make you smile and think, I was actually a little bit of a younger brother to you. Anyways, I just want you to know, and I’m sure you already do, everyone wants you to keep fighting and to keep being you. Good luck at the Australian Open Muzz, I’ll be behind you."
Old 11-01-19, 08:49 AM   #187
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
British number one Johanna Konta, speaking to PA: "There have been so many examples of when Andy has stood up for us - not just for women's tennis but women in general.

"He has also been blessed with two daughters and I think he's grown up with a really strong female role model with his mum and now his wife is also a strong character so he is surrounded by great, strong women.

"Honestly I can't imagine the sport without him. He has just been there all the time."

Last edited by Buzzo; 11-01-19 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-01-19, 09:15 AM   #188
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Fucking gutted about this.

At least in team sport the team survives. This is like being told there will not be a Liverpool to support next season.

He’s had a great career in the face of the greatest era in men’s tennis. Before injury struck he reached 3 Slam Finals in 2016 and World Number 1 for 41 weeks until he limped out of Wimbledon 2017.

It felt like it was his time to dominate and then... that’s it. Finished. Must be very tough to take.

Also - what a guy

He’s the reason I play tennis
Old 11-01-19, 09:18 AM   #189
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

This... What a shot to win the Davis Cup.

Old 11-01-19, 09:29 AM   #190
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 11-01-19, 11:09 AM   #191
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Press conference was hard to watch.

I love him. He's an inspirational bloke.
Old 11-01-19, 11:16 AM   #192
RichC
Meh

Held his own for a period of time in an era of tennis where we've got 3 of the best to ever play the game.

Real shame it's going to end like this for him but the strain it must take on you to try and keep up with Federer, Djokovic and Nadal is insane.

Also highlights I guess that Federer and Nadal in particular are freaks of nature

Last edited by RichC; 11-01-19 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-01-19, 11:40 AM   #193
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Christ I feel genuinely gutted this morning.
Old 11-01-19, 11:44 AM   #194
labourRed
Shankly

Yeah, i welled up at some of the coverage this morning. It's heartbreaking seeing him not see out his wonderful career on his own terms. One of the good guys as well.
Old 11-01-19, 11:50 AM   #195
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Christ I feel genuinely gutted this morning.
Me too

It's really emotional reading the tributes to his career, and hitting to think that it is pretty much the end for him.

I'll go as far as to say he is my favourite ever sportsperson. Tennis is instantly a worse game without him. In the era of the superstar he felt like a normal guy with incredible talent and desire who was fighting (and holding his own) against alone absolute titans.I

I just hope he makes it to Wimbledon as tries to serve volley his way through the tournament.
Old 11-01-19, 11:53 AM   #196
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
Yeah, i welled up at some of the coverage this morning. It's heartbreaking seeing him not see out his wonderful career on his own terms. One of the good guys as well.
Yeah.

Didn't think he's be the first of the big 4 to go he was flying before the injury took him.

Becoming of the end of an era.

We will still talk about them in 30/40/50 years...
Old 11-01-19, 12:22 PM   #197
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

He's had an amazing career and he can be super proud of himself. It's probably for the best that he quits now though before he gets caught for doping. Same applies to Nadal, Djokovic and probably a few others.

I'm being a tit of course, and I've no proof, but I've always suspected it. No one can be that fit without assistance.

I think this is where the injuries come from too, they've pushed their bodies way beyond what they would normally be capable of.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 12:33 PM   #198
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

This is just perfect, Murray in a nutshell. A brutal rally, amazing winner to finish it and almost single-handedly win it for GB, pure emotion in the celebration, before having the humility and grace to stop and go over to his beaten rival(s). Just amazing.

Old 11-01-19, 12:55 PM   #199
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

[quote=Shaggy;3527491]This is just perfect, Murray in a nutshell. A brutal rally, amazing winner to finish it and almost single-handedly win it for GB, pure emotion in the celebration, before having the humility and grace to stop and go over to his beaten rival(s). Just amazing.

Yeah, I love how he extricates himself from the pile up to go and shake hands with the Belgian team. Class.

Im getting emotional watching all these FFS.

This one gets me everytime. The look on Murrays face when he sees the heartbroken Del Potro realise he isn't getting Olympic Gold takes over his own sense of joy. And then the embrace at the net. 2 absolutely phenomenal sportsmen.

What a fucking legend.

Old 11-01-19, 02:15 PM   #200
Irishnev
Shankly

[quote=Buzzo;3527501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
This is just perfect, Murray in a nutshell. A brutal rally, amazing winner to finish it and almost single-handedly win it for GB, pure emotion in the celebration, before having the humility and grace to stop and go over to his beaten rival(s). Just amazing.

The Last Point for Andy Murray's Incredible Double Olympic Gold | Rio 2016 - YouTube

Yeah, I love how he extricates himself from the pile up to go and shake hands with the Belgian team. Class.

Im getting emotional watching all these FFS.

This one gets me everytime. The look on Murrays face when he sees the heartbroken Del Potro realise he isn't getting Olympic Gold takes over his own sense of joy. And then the embrace at the net. 2 absolutely phenomenal sportsmen.

What a fucking legend.

The Last Point for Andy Murray's Incredible Double Olympic Gold | Rio 2016 - YouTube
Small counties like ours donít often get global superstars and the one thing I liked about Murray was that he was able to represent Great Britain whilst being truly Scottish.

We have the McIlroy situation that never seemed to fit as well.

Sorry to see him go but he won grand slams in the time of the 3 of the greatest ever tennis players. In another era he would have dominated the game.
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > General > General Sports