It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 10-12-19, 10:31 AM   #7161
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Iím glad smart phones didnít exist when I was in my 20ís.
I wish they didn't now.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 10:49 AM   #7162
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

He's a massive dick head who has used racism as a method of controlling negative press.

However, it must be said he was ridiculed at times for ridiculous reasons.
Old 10-12-19, 11:08 AM   #7163
Alex
Administrator

I think you are completely wrong there. Hes been really good and a positive influence on the subject of race IMO. However, just because he has made a couple of mistakes. I dont think he should be pulled down because of it.

Hes a bloke in his 20s being a knob while out drinking. Hardly earth shattering stuff. Im glad I wasnt getting drunk when smart phones could film me.
Old 10-12-19, 11:09 AM   #7164
Alex
Administrator

I know people will point to the Mendy/Silva incident. But it was clearly a case of him sticking up for his mates. Just because he plays for a rival doesnt make him what people are claiming.
Old 10-12-19, 11:15 AM   #7165
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He’s a young lad being almost forced to the front of a campaign against racism because he is black famous and targeted. To a point he is doing very well. But he is not a trained diplomat or experienced racism campaigner he is a playboy millionaire.

As much as I don’t like City nor am I a massive Sterling fan, nobody can stand by the abuse he receives, nor have anything but respect for him for the times he has spoken out. But we cannot expect him to be perfect all the time. His job shouldn’t be in controlling how we all feel about racism or setting the agenda. His job should be to just play football, but we are where we are.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 11:18 AM   #7166
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Is that definitely him in the video?
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 11:19 AM   #7167
Alex
Administrator

Quote:

Heís a young lad being almost forced to the front of a campaign against racism because he is black famous and targeted. To a point he is doing very well. But he is not a trained diplomat or experienced racism campaigner he is a playboy millionaire.

As much as I donít like City nor am I a massive Sterling fan, nobody can stand by the abuse he receives, nor have anything but respect for him for the times he has spoken out. But we cannot expect him to be perfect all the time. His job shouldnít be in controlling how we all feel about racism or setting the agenda. His job should be to just play football, but we are where we are.
Imagine having to constantly speak out for people of the same race as you being attacked for being successful. Especially having to do it from late teens. Dealing with people telling you, that you only do it for a bit of positive PR. Its wrong IMO.

Sterling might be a bit of a knob, but hes no more or less of a knob than me or you.
Old 10-12-19, 11:19 AM   #7168
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Is that definitely him in the video?
Yeah, real nice suit he has on too.
Old 10-12-19, 11:21 AM   #7169
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

But the abuse he's received specifically hasn't been racial has it, it's because he was a dick when at Liverpool and left when he could for the $s, missed training and refused to go on a preseason tour. All billy big bollocks before achieving anything.

Having said that, the only criticism he's received from me related to his laughable finishing.
Old 10-12-19, 11:30 AM   #7170
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
But the abuse he's received specifically hasn't been racial has it, it's because he was a dick when at Liverpool and left when he could for the $s, missed training and refused to go on a preseason tour. All billy big bollocks before achieving anything.

Having said that, the only criticism he's received from me related to his laughable finishing.

Most of the stuff has been self inflicted

The fall out with LFC, the nitros-oxide thing, Gomezgate and now this

Maybe I shouldnt be saying this but quite often when someone is critical in ANY WAY of any ethnic minority then you are immediately labelled racist

People shouldnt be judged in anway regarding the colour of their skin, they should be judged on their behaviour and their individual talent or skill

Sterling for me is a total prick and has been for years
Old 10-12-19, 11:31 AM   #7171
Alex
Administrator

No, I dont think he has directly been the victim of racist abuse (that I know of anyway) But the argument at the time, which I did buy into a little. Was that a successful black player is more the focus of media attention than a successful white player.

Someone like Balotelli got it too. A bit eccentric and successful and he is under a lot of scrutiny.

Its hard to really point to examples as there is major inconsistency in the argument though. Both sides of it end up in a big whataboutary argument.
Old 10-12-19, 11:32 AM   #7172
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Iím glad smart phones didnít exist when I was in my 20ís.
frightening
Old 10-12-19, 11:34 AM   #7173
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post

Maybe I shouldnt be saying this but quite often when someone is critical in ANY WAY of any ethnic minority then you are immediately labelled racist

People shouldnt be judged in anway regarding the colour of their skin, they should be judged on their behaviour and their individual talent or skill

But what is that based on? Him forcing a move away from Liverpool? Others have done similar. Mascherano is a prime example. He is still loved.

I dont know tbh, I just dont see why he is a total prick. Cant see much hes done horrifically wrong.
Old 10-12-19, 11:36 AM   #7174
Alex
Administrator

For context about the clip being discussed. It seems it was his Birthday party and his fiancee was in the next part of the clip pushing the other girl away and then doing the same thing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...City-star.html
Old 10-12-19, 11:36 AM   #7175
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie-9-Fowler View Post
He's a massive dick head who has used racism as a method of controlling negative press.

However, it must be said he was ridiculed at times for ridiculous reasons.

Absolutely ridiculous thing to say. Have a word with yourself.
Old 10-12-19, 11:41 AM   #7176
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:

That's quite a statement in bold. He gets plenty of criticism on here, but I don't recall anyone ever calling someone out as racist over it.

Anyway, I refuse to believe you haven't spent a night rolling about uncontrollably after a couple of lung fulls of NOz.
Old 10-12-19, 11:42 AM   #7177
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:

In terms of he was treated by sections of the media? I'd say so, yes.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 11:45 AM   #7178
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
But what is that based on? Him forcing a move away from Liverpool? Others have done similar. Mascherano is a prime example. He is still loved.

I dont know tbh, I just dont see why he is a total prick. Cant see much hes done horrifically wrong.
Hes a prick how he behaved in that footage where Brendan sends him home

Hes a prick how he behaved in forcing the move (so is Mascherano for that matter, and Suarez)

Hes a prick for the nitrous-oxide stuff

He acted a prick over Gomez

Hes a prick over this nightclub thing

I've also seen him at my daughters school quite a bit (as his daughter goes there) and he comes across as a total bellend and bear in mind theres a lot of footballers past and present whose kids go there. Majority of them are all right but he really comes across as the big I AM
Old 10-12-19, 11:46 AM   #7179
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post

Anyway, I refuse to believe you haven't spent a night rolling about uncontrollably after a couple of lung fulls of NOz.
Nope
Old 10-12-19, 11:47 AM   #7180
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

You can infer motive, but it wasn't racial abuse.

Personally I think that was just the media playing to the anger of England fans after Euro 2016, not a clear example of different treatment based on race.

Last edited by Kenneth; 10-12-19 at 11:49 AM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 11:47 AM   #7181
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Nope
Maybe you should.
Old 10-12-19, 11:49 AM   #7182
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
You can infer motive, but it wasn't racial abuse.

personally I think that was just the media playing to the anger of England fans after Euro 2016.
To be fair it was you who used the word abuse, Alex was talking about being attacked for being successful.
Old 10-12-19, 11:50 AM   #7183
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Maybe you should.
I use to use Nitrox when I scuba dived (use to use it in combination with air to extend dive time) and whilst thats slightly different to Nitrous Oxide you shouldnt be using either unless you are under expert supervision

Really shouldnt be fucking around with that stuff for leisure but hey-ho whatever floats your boat

Last edited by Lecter; 10-12-19 at 11:53 AM.
Lecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 11:51 AM   #7184
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
To be fair it was you who used the word abuse, Alex was talking about being attacked for being successful.
I was actually replying to Buzzo rather then Alex, but the thread moved quickly.
Old 10-12-19, 11:52 AM   #7185
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

I agree with that, but itís that heís getting called out for only using racism when it suits him. I donít expect him to be the leading voice against racism in society but on this he has done a half decent job.

The rest of the stuff, yeah, he seems a bit of a twat for sure but itís shoddy to call him on how he has dealt with various issues on racism. I doubt he wants to be involved at all.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 11:57 AM   #7186
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
I use to use Nitrox when I scuba dived (use to use it in combination with air to extend dive time) and whilst thats slightly different to Nitrous Oxide you shouldnt be using either unless you are under expert supervision

Really shouldnt be fucking around with that stuff for leisure but hey-ho whatever floats your boat
Indeed - you shouldn't do anything to excess, so unless you're tea total, it's a bit like throwing stones from glass houses.
Old 10-12-19, 12:01 PM   #7187
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
I was actually replying to Buzzo rather then Alex, but the thread moved quickly.
Fair enough, but same points apply even if it is prejudicial treatment rather than outright abuse.
Old 10-12-19, 12:18 PM   #7188
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Indeed - you shouldn't do anything to excess, so unless you're tea total, it's a bit like throwing stones from glass houses.
I'm alright I only drink alcohol with master brewers
Old 10-12-19, 12:37 PM   #7189
dom9
Ant Pisser

Hipster
Old 10-12-19, 12:40 PM   #7190
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:

Is he fuck.
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 12:44 PM   #7191
Alex
Administrator

https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/sho...cherano&page=3

He isnt vilified the same way Sterling is. Maybe thats because he went to a rival though?
Old 10-12-19, 01:04 PM   #7192
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/sho...cherano&page=3

He isnt vilified the same way Sterling is. Maybe thats because he went to a rival though?
People have very short memories.

Unforgivable what Mascherano did to us.
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 01:41 PM   #7193
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
For context about the clip being discussed. It seems it was his Birthday party and his fiancee was in the next part of the clip pushing the other girl away and then doing the same thing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...City-star.html
Context being that he was being a misogynistic prick in front of his girlfriend? Or is that all still just a youth of today thing? Huge irony that the theme was classic Gatsby
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 01:46 PM   #7194
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Context being that he was being a misogynistic prick in front of his girlfriend? Or is that all still just a youth of today thing? Huge irony that the theme was classic Gatsby
It could be that, we dont know though do we? It could be a good friend. I dunno his relationships.

I think we are all too quick to judge nowadays. Especially when this sort of stuff appears on Social media.
Old 10-12-19, 01:49 PM   #7195
Alex
Administrator

TBH I dunno why Im defending the guy. I think hes a massive bollock too
Old 10-12-19, 02:24 PM   #7196
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 03:34 PM   #7197
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 09:47 PM   #7198
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Quote:

Absolutely ridiculous thing to say. Have a word with yourself.
It was literally claimed that any negative press regarding Raheem Sterling must be deemed racist.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46504491

I have agreed that at times he got negative press unjustly.

But the fact remains the media have since been scared to report negative behaviour relating to Sterling in case they are branded racists.

As for 'He's just a kid'... He's also a multimillionaire/role-model who behaved like a total tit in front of his own girlfriend and deserves calling out for it.

Coverage of these players should be balanced, not controlled or driven by fear, agenda's or racial bias.
Old 10-12-19, 11:09 PM   #7199
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diego View Post
fucking dirty slags
Why? Because they're women having fun?
Old 10-12-19, 11:24 PM   #7200
dom9
Ant Pisser

Ok, that's not what you said though.

Edit - that was a reply to Robbie

Last edited by dom9; 11-12-19 at 12:05 AM.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > General Football