It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 24-03-21, 07:59 PM   #4121
Angryred
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
When you look at the spending we did around then, we punched about our weight a little bit.

The stories about players we missed out on were a bit of a sickener too. Missed on Dani Alves because we wouldn't pay the 12m or whatever it was back then. So we signed Pennent!!! Simao was obviously another one but there were rumours that we just fell short for the likes of David Silva from Valencia..... i think we got Albert Riera instead. Aguero aledgedly went to Atletico Madrid instead of us because we wouldn't spend £17m on a teenager from Independiente.

If we had a little bit more money back then, we would have won the league and more trophies.
Rick Parry had a lot to answer for that too as kept questioning the need for those recruits & continuing to put off transfer talks with agents after Rafa had set them up...Read all about this in some article ages ago about the relationship between those two.
Old 24-03-21, 08:21 PM   #4122
shanks69
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Anyone watch football's darkest secrets on BBC1 last night? I caught the last few minutes and they were talking to Paul Stewart, the man is absolutely broken, not having watched the rest of the program I don't know the whole story but during the bit I watched he was talking about how during his time at LFC he was doing coke daily, I really need to download it and watch the rest of it.
Watching it now,powerful and emotional stuff
Old 24-03-21, 08:48 PM   #4123
Irishnev
Shankly

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-21, 10:30 PM   #4124
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
That offside is a poor decision
Old 24-03-21, 11:25 PM   #4125
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
That offside is a poor decision
Cost us the title

Although Sterling would've probably missed it
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-21, 11:37 PM   #4126
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiw View Post
You've named 6 players If only it was a 5-a-side league. Agree to disagree on the bit in bold I think

He was ahead of his time imo.

Definitely Imagine wanting to switch employers and getting death threats
I named our best players. Any team you put out with those 6 players in should be challenging for titles especially in this league. Time and again we came up short in home games where he was too cautious. We lost the second champions league purely down to not starting with crouch who was pretty much unplayable in Europe that season. He tried to be clever and it didn't work. Great human being. Was a very good manager for us but it wasn't all a bed of roses. He deserved better than having to deal with hicks and gillet. But I used to attend games fairly regularly when he was in charge, and some of those home draws with Fulham, Middlesbrough and Sunderland were fucking dire. Plus he played kuyt over and over. Horrible footballer with a massive heart.
Old 24-03-21, 11:46 PM   #4127
Charly
Dalglish

Kuyt was effective in games against stronger opposition. Less so against weaker teams.

I think Benitez was similar. He could take a weaker team and beat a stronger one through tactical brilliance.

I agree with Crouch though. Awful decision. Crouch was actually very good on the deck, and linked play really well. I was screaming at my telly during the final. Milan were poor, but we did noting to trouble them. Teams in Europe didnt know how to handle Crouch. He was actually kind of useless at heading the ball, but teams tried to handle him like target man, and when he dropped off they opened up.

Missed opportunity.
Old 25-03-21, 10:45 AM   #4128
wiw
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
I named our best players. Any team you put out with those 6 players in should be challenging for titles especially in this league. Time and again we came up short in home games where he was too cautious. We lost the second champions league purely down to not starting with crouch who was pretty much unplayable in Europe that season. He tried to be clever and it didn't work. Great human being. Was a very good manager for us but it wasn't all a bed of roses. He deserved better than having to deal with hicks and gillet. But I used to attend games fairly regularly when he was in charge, and some of those home draws with Fulham, Middlesbrough and Sunderland were fucking dire. Plus he played kuyt over and over. Horrible footballer with a massive heart.
Agree to disagree I think
Old 26-03-21, 01:15 AM   #4129
Zapater
Dalglish

Wasn't backed enough. If he was given half of the resources that future managers received he'd have won the league and possibly more. As he said, when you speak about eras that's the best Chelsea side of all time and not far off the best Man Utd team. That's probably the 4th (?) best Liverpool cycle. They were splashing 15-35m per player whilst we were limited to largely 5-15m signings. He squeezed almost everything out of that squad. When the board back out of buying Alves for 12m over a measly 2m, I think it says everything. Would have won the CL in 08/09 if it wasn't for Riise's madness OG and we'd have won the league if Keane wasn't a little bitch moaning to the press the whole time and concentrated on playing football. We needed a better backup to Ngog and Keane unfortunately couldn't hack it at this level again, as he already proved at Inter.

Just needed a few better difference maker type players with extra quality to win those matches, rather than being too cautious. As Klopp likes to say, they're humans not machines. It's not like you press an attacking button and the play transforms immediately. We tried to win games and fell short a few times, having better attacking options/depth would've allowed that. Our first XI was right up there but I can't say too much about the rest. I rate Yossi and Riera, Babel fell short, then Ngog and El Zhar were never up to it. I really think we should have gambled on bringing Anelka back before Chelsea bought him because that could have made the difference. If not Anelka, then Tevez but we were shopping in a different market. We thought we had Malouda sewed up, but Chelsea came in late and probably offered double the wages.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 07:21 AM   #4130
Corndog
Fagan

It's possible he'd have won the league if he had more money.

I wouldn't say that for certain though. If you look at how Rafa has performed at other teams when he had more backing and more quality all over the pitch, he didn't win league titles. I.e Madrid and Napoli

He had so many revolving door signings who lasted a season. I get that the money for top talent wasn't there but there were times it felt like the club under him would just buy 5-7 players a season in that 5-15 mil range.

Thats not the sign of a stable team and I could never understand why we brought so many in rather than fewer more expensive signings.

I don't think he ever got it right enough when buying wingers, had he had a couple of pacey players who were good 1 on 1, then he'd probably have won the league.

Tbf he tried for malouda who would have been excellent. Riera was good but Yossi was more CAM and Kuyt was a makeshift solution. Pennant just wasn't good enough.

Hard to say as he generally wasn't able to shop at the top end of the market but I'm not certain his / the clubs transfer strategy would have been good enough regardless.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 10:19 AM   #4131
Zapater
Dalglish

Really? We were 3 or 4 points off that season and got to a good points total 2 seasons earlier. We put 4 past Man Utd and Real Madrid in the same week. If we could have converted a couple of the draws into wins it'd have been a done deal, which would have happened with a better squad regardless of the tactics. Some of the players that we reportedly narrowly missed out on (Alves and Malouda being two obvious ones mentioned) would have made that by themselves.

Our CL performances and consistency were ridiculous under him winners, final, quarters and semis I think, there was only the one season we went out in the 2nd round. I may not have every detail 100% correct, but he worked miracles with the squad. Saying he wasn't good enough, poor in the transfer market or not adventurous enough is unfair and not true. I swear in 10 years I'll be on here and someone will be telling me that Klopp wasn't that good.
Old 26-03-21, 10:45 AM   #4132
Corndog
Fagan

I'm not saying he wasn't good enough, he definitely could have won the league in that season the team went close, but he didn't.

He did do a very good job, I agree he got more out of the players at his disposal than the vast majority of managers.
He was particularly good in the champions league bit that's not a league competition and I think the format suited him better.

It's too hard to judge from the outside but it's clear that the clubs transfer approach nowadays is night and day better than it was. Money is obviously a big factor in that but not the only one and it's hard to say how much of a day rafa had as an individual.

For me, Klopps achievements are on another level though.
97 point season followed by 99 points, forgetting everything else that is a phenomenal level of high performance consistentency. I'm not sure Rafa would have achieved that under the same circumstances but then again bar 2-3 other managers who could?

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 10:54 AM   #4133
Angryred
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
I'm not saying he wasn't good enough, he definitely could have won the league in that season the team went close, but he didn't.

He did do a very good job, I agree he got more out of the players at his disposal than the vast majority of managers.
He was particularly good in the champions league bit that's not a league competition and I think the format suited him better.

It's too hard to judge from the outside but it's clear that the clubs transfer approach nowadays is night and day better than it was. Money is obviously a big factor in that but not the only one and it's hard to say how much of a day rafa had as an individual.

For me, Klopps achievements are on another level though.
97 point season followed by 99 points, forgetting everything else that is a phenomenal level of high performance consistentency. I'm not sure Rafa would have achieved that under the same circumstances but then again bar 2-3 other managers who could?
Some salient points in there, that season 08-09 we were playing catch up to Utd the whole season as they had games in hand so we never really had our noses out in front...We had some injuries to key players which contributed to draws in the bread & butter games we should have won as ultimately finished 4 points behind Utd.
Old 26-03-21, 11:04 AM   #4134
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
It's possible he'd have won the league if he had more money.

I wouldn't say that for certain though. If you look at how Rafa has performed at other teams when he had more backing and more quality all over the pitch, he didn't win league titles. I.e Madrid and Napoli

He had so many revolving door signings who lasted a season. I get that the money for top talent wasn't there but there were times it felt like the club under him would just buy 5-7 players a season in that 5-15 mil range.

Thats not the sign of a stable team and I could never understand why we brought so many in rather than fewer more expensive signings.

I don't think he ever got it right enough when buying wingers, had he had a couple of pacey players who were good 1 on 1, then he'd probably have won the league.

Tbf he tried for malouda who would have been excellent. Riera was good but Yossi was more CAM and Kuyt was a makeshift solution. Pennant just wasn't good enough.

Hard to say as he generally wasn't able to shop at the top end of the market but I'm not certain his / the clubs transfer strategy would have been good enough regardless.
Hard to win a league title for a club that sacks you in January of your 1st season. Real were 2 points off eventual winners Barcelona, with a game in hand at the time.

And I doubt anyone else would have overturned that Juventus teams dominance with Napoli in just 2 seasons.

As for his transfer strategy, I think it would have been more than good enough if he could have gotten more of his top targets, when you see how they turned out, Dani Alves, David Silva, Sergio Aguero, etc...
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 11:55 AM   #4135
Angryred
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Hard to win a league title for a club that sacks you in January of your 1st season. Real were 2 points off eventual winners Barcelona, with a game in hand at the time.

And I doubt anyone else would have overturned that Juventus teams dominance with Napoli in just 2 seasons.

As for his transfer strategy, I think it would have been more than good enough if he could have gotten more of his top targets, when you see how they turned out, Dani Alves, David Silva, Sergio Aguero, etc...
Aye, that was a travesty...What Rafa needed was a football director instead of Rick fucking Parry...instead of backing Rafa with his primary targets, Rick was stuck with shit players on decent contracts & couldn't get rid of them!
Old 26-03-21, 01:09 PM   #4136
Pepe79
Shankly

Legit Xabi news

Real Sociedad B head coach for another season at least then.

Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 06:09 PM   #4137
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

People forget we were up against a team who could swap Rooney and Ronaldo for Tevez and Berbatov.
Old 26-03-21, 06:23 PM   #4138
Venton
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboklopp View Post
People forget we were up against a team who could swap Rooney and Ronaldo for Tevez and Berbatov.
Old 26-03-21, 10:02 PM   #4139
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Thatís crazy isnít it.
Old 26-03-21, 10:05 PM   #4140
meffin
Officially the best insider on this forum. Ever!

Luis Alberto apparently getting a bit of interest across Europe, with an £80m plus release fee- we have a 30% sell on clause so could end up making a few quid.
meffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 11:51 PM   #4141
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
True. But Fergie always liked to have the option of going gung ho and would often end up with 4 forwards on chasing a game. He's squads were always packed with at least 4 strikers. Rafa wouldn't of used 4 top forwards even if he could as the man was stubborn beyond belief. His subs were pre planned rather than reactivate. It was probably my biggest hang up with him.
Old 27-03-21, 08:59 AM   #4142
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
True. But Fergie always liked to have the option of going gung ho and would often end up with 4 forwards on chasing a game. He's squads were always packed with at least 4 strikers. Rafa wouldn't of used 4 top forwards even if he could as the man was stubborn beyond belief. His subs were pre planned rather than reactivate. It was probably my biggest hang up with him.
Even if we didn't need 4 we dropped from Torres to N'gog, Rafa had games where he planned to rest Torres, as well as when he was injured. It would have been nice to at least have someone decent who could have come in on those occasions. As I recall our record when Torres didn't play was really poor
Old 27-03-21, 01:56 PM   #4143
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Just imagine Mascherano singing "John Terry's ma, she loves the Scouse cock" in his ear

Old 27-03-21, 02:36 PM   #4144
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Well he had a team that had Gerrard, torres, masher, alonso, carra and hyypia and he didn't manage it. He was too cautious to win a league.
That's just nonsense.

He was up against a United team with Van Der Saar, Vidic, Ferdinand, Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez.

Outwith the 6 players you listed there was a pretty precipitous drop off. that Man U team had great strength in depth
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-21, 02:41 PM   #4145
El Diego
Dalglish

Where did you find this, or is it been shaggied?
I think it's a foul, and if the ref gives it. He got to give a penalty. I know it's outside the box, but you see them given that close to the area. So if the ref gives it he's got to give the penalty as it so close to the area. But I think it's a penalty. Robbie Savage 8/11/06

Are you watching Manchester United? Are you watching Chelsea? This is Liverpool F.C taking over the bloody world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
El Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-21, 04:26 PM   #4146
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Monstermash
Old 27-03-21, 09:54 PM   #4147
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by meffin View Post
Luis Alberto apparently getting a bit of interest across Europe, with an £80m plus release fee- we have a 30% sell on clause so could end up making a few quid.
Your a bit early, Itís not April 1st yet bud
Old 27-03-21, 11:40 PM   #4148
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diego View Post
Where did you find this, or is it been shaggied?
Comes from the Athletic manuscript on his time at Liverpool. Really good read. I'm sure someone on here with a subscription will be happy to post it.
Old 31-03-21, 03:25 PM   #4149
Yozza
Shankly

Daniel Agger: HB Koge name ex-Liverpool defender as new coach

Former Liverpool defender Daniel Agger will begin his managerial career at Danish second-tier side HB Koge from the start of next season.

Agger, who played at Anfield between 2006 and 2014, will be joined by former Everton defender Lars Jacobsen, who is the new first-team coach.

"HB Koge is the perfect place for me to start," the 36-year-old said.

"I am very much looking forward to getting started, and I look forward to coming under pressure again."

Both Agger and Jacobsen have signed contracts that will run until the summer of 2024, and they stated that their ambition is for HB Koge to win promotion to the Danish Super League within that period.

Agger made 175 Premier League appearances during his eight-year spell with the Reds, and helped them win the League Cup in 2012.

Prior to that, the former Denmark international was part of the Brondby squad that won the Danish league and cup double during the 2005-05 season. He eventually finished his career at Brondby.

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-21, 09:55 PM   #4150
Irishnev
Shankly

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-21, 10:08 PM   #4151
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

That’s quite the collection he is putting together this season.

He’s got the tips big time.
Old 31-03-21, 10:24 PM   #4152
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Thatís quite the collection he is putting together this season.

Heís got the tips big time.
Tips?
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-21, 10:25 PM   #4153
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Quote:

He'd love the tips. If only...
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-21, 10:32 PM   #4154
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The yips!

He needs the tips. As do I.
Old 01-04-21, 07:42 AM   #4155
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:

Think you had the yips while typing that.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 08:12 AM   #4156
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Quote:

The yips!

He needs the tips. As do I.
Racist

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC