It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 06-12-19, 11:01 AM   #1
Alex
Administrator

Three Peaks Challenge

Has anyone ever done this?

I have decided its something I want to do in the next 12 months. Probably early September/Late August 2020.

It feels like its achievable and it feels like something other than running I could realistically do and train for without putting mega stress on my fat lad knees at the moment.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 06-12-19, 11:17 AM   #2
Assassin
Kloppite

That looks like a nice challenge Alex. I hiked up Snowdon with my parents in my early teens. I dont remember too much about that to be honest, apart from it was decent weather and the view was superb. I had to google to see which peaks were included in the challenge

Good luck fella, this is something to work towards and enjoy doing
Old 06-12-19, 11:22 AM   #3
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Has anyone ever done this?

I have decided its something I want to do in the next 12 months. Probably early September/Late August 2020.

It feels like its achievable and it feels like something other than running I could realistically do and train for without putting mega stress on my fat lad knees at the moment.
If you do the 24 hour challenge you will put a load of stress on your knees as you have to run down the hills/mountains in order to keep within the time.

Get a load of miles in your legs plus brace yourself for it to be friggin cold at the top.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 11:27 AM   #4
Alex
Administrator

Dont think we would push to do it under 24 hours. My Brother In Law is quite a big guy and he wants to push himself to lose weight and do the challenge. But under 24 might be bad for him too.

My knees are a weird one. Im at a weight where if I run, they will fail me. But if I drop 10kg its lots less of an issue. 20kg and Im fine. So the aim is losing 20kg this year total.

I have my wedding in July. So I want to slim back to my original weight where I met my Mrs for that.

Have you done it Chazza?
Old 06-12-19, 11:35 AM   #5
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Dont think we would push to do it under 24 hours. My Brother In Law is quite a big guy and he wants to push himself to lose weight and do the challenge. But under 24 might be bad for him too.

My knees are a weird one. Im at a weight where if I run, they will fail me. But if I drop 10kg its lots less of an issue. 20kg and Im fine. So the aim is losing 20kg this year total.

I have my wedding in July. So I want to slim back to my original weight where I met my Mrs for that.

Have you done it Chazza?
We did it over 3 days with little training at the time raising money for a friends baby.

It was hard work and my legs were in bits by the end of it.

Snowdon was the worst one when they stopped the little train and the hail was coming in sideways knocking people over.

Amazing what sights you see, some fella in a t-shirt, shorts walking a dog with a tescos carrier bag knocking around at the top of Ben Nevis.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 12:31 PM   #6
labourRed
Shankly

A few things, remember you will need provisions, don't overpack.

Do it in good weather (although prepare for the worst) all summits will be cold. Perhaps even with very limited visibility. You may not even see off Nevis need about 6 summits usually to get a view (i got one on my second, admittedly on the same day).

Good luck.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 12:50 PM   #7
Alex
Administrator

Is it doable by normal people who have little to no experience with this sort of walking? Or should we spend a good amount of time doing this type of thing? Im used to walking, but not up a fucking great big hill for hours on end.

Im not planning on doing it for the views, more of a physical prove to myself that I can do it type of thing.
Old 06-12-19, 01:00 PM   #8
labourRed
Shankly

Absolutely, a lot of hill walkers have the same build as a lot of late-to-cycling types.

Oh yeah, get good footwear 1000miles socks or anything with double membrane (two socks at a push). And good hillwalking trousers to minimise/prevent chaffing.

So walking up a big hill is hard on the thighs going up, and knees going down.

Like any new physical endeavour i'd encourage practise. If you were doing the tour d france, cycle; london marathon, run; climbing hills; walk.

It sounds obvious but people who fail, don't put in the hard yards. With a bit of luck you have some hills near by, even if they are small, do them, rinse repeat. That'll point out immediate physical failings if any exist - give you a chance to address them and then succeed.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 01:34 PM   #9
calvoboy
Dalglish

Attempted it twice.

Attempt 1 - made great time up and down Ben Nevis, so much so that we decided to stop at the bottom for a look around the visitor's centre and grab an ice cream. Then another stop on the way to Scafell to get some vaseline to combat chafing, and a stop just after Scafell for our driver to vomit after eating tuna sandwiches that he'd left on the parcel shelf in direct sunlight all day. Then we got lost a little on a storm-eroded section of the Pyg track on Snowdon in the dark, and completed the challenge in around 24 and a half hours, just missing the 24 hour mark due to all the fannying around.

Attempt 2 - focused and determined to do it in 24 hours this time, we flew up and down Ben Nevis, and raced on to Scafell. Decided this time to attempt Scafell Pike from a different route, so it was unfamiliar for most of the way up. In fact it was unfamiliar all the way up, but that was fine as it was misty during the first attempt. Until we reached the summit and one of our group said "hang on lads, isn't that one over there a little bit higher than this". At which point it dawned on us that we'd climbed the wrong fecking mountain. With no time to descend from Bow Fell, climb Scafell and get Snowdon done in the 24 hours, we decided to head home and abandon the attempt.

As LabourRed says, it's absolutely doable, but you need to get yourself fit beforehand and practice going up and down some steep hills if you don't usually hill-walk. The routes are well marked and well trodden, and you don't need any climbing expertise. The only real danger is on top of Ben Nevis, where there are some very steep gullies to be careful of if it's foggy. Just be sensible and you'll be fine though.
calvoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 01:37 PM   #10
calvoboy
Dalglish

Definitely go for it though - it's great fun and the scenery is spectacular, on the drive between mountains as well as when you're actually climbing. Our first attempt was three of us in a car sharing the driving. For the second attempt we'd persuaded someone to drive us while we did the climbing. I'd definitely recommend the latter, or at least have somewhere to sleep after you finish the challenge. On the first attempt my mate tried to drive home afterwards and nearly fell asleep at the wheel at one point.
calvoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 01:58 PM   #11
Alex
Administrator

Few places I read said you needed a driver for it all. But If we plan to do it in 36 hours (first attempt and all that) would we not need to worry, as long as we share it about?

Thanks for the tips btw. This is useful stuff. Ill try and document the journey. But I bet I forget.

est1892 > General > General Sports