It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 08-10-20, 12:24 PM   #7841
Harv
Randy Marsh

I have to scroll 11 times to get to the end of it. Thats beating the previous record by 5. Its mega!

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 12:56 PM   #7842
Fivex
The Wisp

- 10 presses of Page Down for me.. on my ultra-widescreen monitor.

Must be over a hundred thumb brushes on a phone.
Old 08-10-20, 01:23 PM   #7843
Irishnev
Shankly

Wondering if this is a Shaggy edit......

Achterberg: “We had a lot of injuries near the start and that Dutch guy (fitness coach Raymond Verheijen) was hammering Jurgen on social media
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 01:26 PM   #7844
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I loved the guy on the gate wading into Brendan

Quote:
“As he came through I said ‘welcome boss’ and he said ‘thank you very much’ followed by that big smile of his. Within a couple of days you could sense the change in the mood at Melwood. Brendan Rodgers had been there three years and I’m not sure he even knew the names of us security staff on the gate
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 01:49 PM   #7845
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Wondering if this is a Shaggy edit......

Achterberg: “We had a lot of injuries near the start and that Dutch guy (fitness coach Raymond Verheijen) was hammering Jurgen on social media
No edits at all here. "That Dutch guy" is a lovely little dig. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
I loved the guy on the gate wading into Brendan

It's quite amazing how *everyone* loves Klopp. That comment from a driver, I think it was, about how amazing he makes him feel, "and I'm just a driver - imagine how he makes the players feel".

Been said many times before but he could stand for election anywhere and win. He must be one of the most charismatic human beings on earth.
Old 08-10-20, 01:53 PM   #7846
RedAndWhite
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivex View Post
- 10 presses of Page Down for me.. on my ultra-widescreen monitor.

Must be over a hundred thumb brushes on a phone.
If you'd planned ahead and turned your monitor through 90 degrees it would have been less.....
RedAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 02:12 PM   #7847
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

It's quite amazing how *everyone* loves Klopp. That comment from a driver, I think it was, about how amazing he makes him feel, "and I'm just a driver - imagine how he makes the players feel".

Been said many times before but he could stand for election anywhere and win. He must be one of the most charismatic human beings on earth.
Was it the driver? Who was saying 'he is one of my best friends'.

I was slightly worried that he (the driver) may be slightly mis-reading a fun and close but professional dynamic, as in that, although Klopp is incredibly friendly and charismatic you realise he is like that with everyone he works with.

This guy sounded like he would be turning up at the Klopp's on Christmas morning with a load of tins and an uncooked turkey.

Klopp would probably invite him in tbf...

Klopp seems an incredibly special human being. I would absolutely love to spend some time with him.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 02:17 PM   #7848
Liverpool
Paisley

This bit stood out to me. Interesting that Pep is so highly rated by the main hands on football related owner.

Lijnders: “Jurgen said to Mike Gordon: ‘Listen, this is the staff I want to work with, plus I’ll need a goalkeeper coach and a sports science guy.’ But Mike told him ‘Pep has to stay. I promise you will like him.’
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 02:59 PM   #7849
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:

It would have been great if he said Raymond the egg
Old 08-10-20, 03:21 PM   #7850
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Was it the driver? Who was saying 'he is one of my best friends'.

I was slightly worried that he (the driver) may be slightly mis-reading a fun and close but professional dynamic, as in that, although Klopp is incredibly friendly and charismatic you realise he is like that with everyone he works with.

This guy sounded like he would be turning up at the Klopp's on Christmas morning with a load of tins and an uncooked turkey.
Old 08-10-20, 03:29 PM   #7851
cannotmakeit
Fagan

Quote:
Longest read ever ffs. Took me 9 minutes to copy and paste it.
Think Melissa Reddy’s upcoming book could be shorter than this!
cannotmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 05:11 PM   #7852
wiw
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannotmakeit View Post
Think Melissa Reddy’s upcoming book could be shorter than this!

..and on the subject of her book - can't see her selling many audiobook copies of it :shudder:
Old 08-10-20, 07:29 PM   #7853
Irishnev
Shankly

Old 09-10-20, 07:22 AM   #7854
frank the tank
Shankly

That driver saying that he timed how long it would take him to get from Formby to get to Melwood

"that's his attention to detail" ha ha...... Ffs if you move to a new country and a new job, everyone is going to do that.

I was scrolling through waiting for the Shaggy edit

Mavis Butler works at the local Aldi supermarket. She was covering a shift for a colleague who had an ingrown toenail the day Jurgen Klopp arrived at Liverpool. "I was hungover to fuck. Stacking bog roll in aisle 4 of d'Aldi. Jurgen comes over and says" excuse me..... Can I grab one of those? I said 'ya mate, go ahead'. Aloe Vera...... Classy bastard. 5 minutes later an announcement on the blower says "staff member required on till 4" so I had to bob down there...... I said "oh enjoy your shit later"
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 11:35 AM   #7855
Irishnev
Shankly

Old 12-10-20, 11:45 AM   #7856
frank the tank
Shankly

What a legend.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 02:49 PM   #7857
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
‘Jurgen is Liverpool’s head psychologist. He’s the best communicator I’ve seen’

James Pearce

“What’s that saying? Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.”

Liverpool’s performance psychologist Lee Richardson has seen a welcome shift in attitudes towards mental health in football. Barriers have been broken down and the stigma attached to seeking help has been steadily reduced, but it remains a work in progress.

“Some people still look from the outside at footballers earning large sums of money and think that somehow immunes them or turns them into robots without feelings,” Richardson tells The Athletic.

“I can see how that might happen with people who are quite blinkered in life in general. Unless anyone has experienced what it’s like to be fairly famous, to walk down the street and have people recognise you. People who have never played football at the highest level don’t know what it’s like, so by definition their views are pretty flawed.

“I know what it’s like to be signing on the dole, to have a family, to have health problems with your kids, to experience a lot of the challenging things in life. I also know what it’s like to be fairly high profile, doing well and being financially comfortable.

“Every human being on this planet, because of some of the psychological processes a human being can have, will most likely experience challenges with their mental health. For us to put physical health on a pedestal and say, ‘If you’ve got a sore knee we understand that — but if you’re struggling with a panic disorder or if you’re feeling low in mood or particularly stressed then that isn’t as valid’, doesn’t make any sense.

“People cope in different ways with their mental health. Some drink alcohol, some smoke cigarettes — there are all kinds of avoidance behaviours to try to deal with things. What’s hopefully emerging in society now is the realisation that they are short-term fixes. There are more and more people realising that we all need to self-manage our mental health and when required seek extra support.”

Richardson is engaging company. Over the course of an hour we talk about his remarkable journey from player to coach to manager to performance psychologist for the champions of England. And how he’s branching out to offer help to people across the world during these testing times.

He has certainly found the perfect environment for his work at Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool. Since he arrived at Melwood nearly 18 months ago, players and staff alike have embraced his input. His first season at the club brought Super Cup, Club World Cup and Premier League title glory.

“I was in Qatar for the Club World Cup which was special but I wasn’t at the Premier League trophy presentation due to the COVID restrictions,” he says. “But if someone had said at the start of last season, ‘You’ll win the title but you won’t be able to be there for the trophy lift’, like most people I would have taken that.”

Psychology has always fascinated Klopp. It formed part of the diploma in sports science he completed at Goethe University Frankfurt during his playing days with Mainz in the mid-1990s.

And it was a topic that legendary German manager Wolfgang Frank, who heavily influenced Klopp’s move into coaching, was passionate about.

“Jurgen is an exceptional communicator — the best I’ve ever seen,” Richardson says.

“If he had been leader of the Labour Party they would have won the general election by a landslide last year. If he was leader of the Democrats in America then I think Donald Trump would be out of office pretty quickly. He’s that good at getting messages across to big audiences.

“The head psychologist at Liverpool is Jurgen in many ways. He’s the one who affects most people with everything he does — with every team talk he gives and every decision he makes. The role of the actual psychologist is about being a support and being around for different things that the manager can’t always be dealing with. I’ve had the perception of a player, coach, manager and now psychologist so that hopefully gives me some advantages in terms of an understanding of where people might be.

“The culture at Melwood certainly helps my work. Jurgen as a character is key but he would be the first to admit that a lot of good people contribute to that.

“If someone doesn’t want to talk to me that’s fine. I don’t ever see it as a personal slight. They don’t have to, it’s not like that. I’m just there when required and it’s an honour and a privilege to be involved in a club that is a global phenomenon. It’s a juggernaut of a process. The main ones are the lads on the pitch who go out and produce — and the manager and his coaching staff who put the plans in place. I’m just one of many support staff and we all try to play our part to help maximise performance on the field.”

Growing up in Halifax in West Yorkshire, Richardson achieved his dream of turning professional with his hometown club in 1987. He was a combative midfielder whose dynamic performances in the old Fourth Division as a teenager attracted scouts to The Shay from all over the country.

“Football back then didn’t have the public profile and scrutiny it has now but I looked at footballers as gods and heroes, even the ones who played for Halifax,” he laughs.

“Having a career in football was always No 1 on my wish list. Every day as a kid I’d be outside kicking a ball around. At that time at Halifax there were a few of us young lads coming through at the club. Terry McPhillips, an ex-Liverpool apprentice, Wayne Allison, who went on to play for Sheffield United, Bristol City and Tranmere, and then there was myself.

“I was a good passer of the ball and I could score goals. In those days you had to be far more of an all-rounder as a midfielder. In my opinion, the game has got easier for midfield players — the way that teams keep possession and use the width of the pitch. They also usually play with three in the middle of the park now. A lot of my career was spent playing 4-4-2 against 4-4-2 and it was very much a war of attrition, going box-to-box, scrapping for bits of possession. It was instilled into us to win physical battles and then try to play after that.”

If things had worked out differently, Richardson could have found himself at Liverpool three decades before he finally joined the club as their performance psychologist.

Chief scout Ron Yeats was a regular at Halifax Town’s Friday night home games and the feedback to manager Kenny Dalglish was glowing. Dalglish even paid a visit to The Shay himself to assess Richardson’s qualities but a deal failed to materialise. Instead, Richardson moved to Watford for around £200,000 in 1989.

“Kenny later told me that he didn’t think that Liverpool should be paying that kind of money for someone so young who would probably have just gone into the reserves,” he recalls.

“The manager, Billy Ayre, God rest him, pulled me in one day and said, ‘Listen, you’ll have a lot better offers than Watford if you stay here until the end of the season’. But the senior players encouraged me to take the opportunity and I was eager to progress. I didn’t get to speak to Liverpool at the time but I knew they were interested. The deal with Watford made it a record transfer fee at the time for a teenager.”

The following year he was on the move again when Blackburn Rovers broke their transfer record to sign him for £250,000. Shortly after, local businessman Jack Walker bought the club and a major injection of cash swiftly transformed their fortunes.

“I was actually told that Jack’s money was involved in the deal to sign me,” Richardson reveals.

“Not long after I signed, Jack officially came on board and then we signed Steve Livingstone and Tony Dobson. Steve Livingstone cost £450,000 which broke the record from my transfer.

“Before Jack came in, we were Rag Arse Rovers. We only narrowly avoided relegation from what’s now the Championship. I was captain that season. Don Mackay said to us in a meeting one day, ‘Mark my words, this club will be playing in Europe within the next five years’. I remember all of us just looking around and thinking, ‘Bless him, he’s finally cracked!’ At the time we had no idea about Jack.”

Richardson would belatedly get the chance to play for Dalglish, who took over from Mackay in October 1991. The following May he came off the bench in the play-off final at Wembley as a 1-0 victory over Leicester City clinched Blackburn’s place in the inaugural Premier League season.

“We’d heard this rumour on the Friday that Kenny was coming in with Ray Harford. It wasn’t that long since Kenny had left Liverpool and he was still one of the biggest names in football,” he says.

“I remember going home thinking, ‘Some of the rumours that go around this club are ridiculous’. Then on the Saturday before we played Plymouth at home, Tony Parkes walked in with Kenny and Ray. Jaws hit the floor like they do in the cartoons. We were all buzzing and we went out and beat Plymouth 5-2.

“The change under Jack and Kenny was huge. We went from being Rag Arse Rovers to watching Moira Stuart, the BBC newsreader, talk about Blackburn Rovers on the Nine O’Clock News. It was bizarre.

“It was hard at first with Kenny as manager as I think a lot of us were star-struck. But over time I loved it, he was ace, such a brilliant fella with a great sense of humour. Everyone was prepared to run through brick walls for him.

“My last game for Blackburn was the play-off final at Wembley. Kenny actually dropped me for that final and I came on for my mate Scott Sellars. I asked to leave because I wasn’t starting regularly. I didn’t get this squad idea, I thought it was a load of rubbish. I was used to playing every week and Blackburn were signing more and more players. I didn’t think the Premier League was a good idea either. It sounded a bit corny, the First Division was much better. Shows you how much I know about that kind of thing!”

After two years at Aberdeen where he became a cult hero, Richardson returned south to sign for Oldham Athletic. It was a move he soon regretted. He felt his career was drifting and started thinking about the future. At the age of 28, he started a bachelor’s degree in psychology from the Open University.

“I was reading recently Alexis Sanchez saying that he quickly realised he had made a mistake when he moved from Arsenal to Man United and it was like that for me when I went to Oldham,” he says.

“No disrespect to them, but they had just got relegated from the Premier League and Joe Royle was about to leave. Aberdeen’s profile and appeal had been going up and I’d ended up going to a club which was going in the other direction. I found it tough. I should have stayed at Aberdeen for another year or two but it was fixed me in my mind that I needed to get back down to England.

“Around that time I started to think about what I was going to do next. I was probably also a bit burnt out. I wanted to do something else with my time. I did an Open University foundation social science course and found that fascinating. That’s what started me on the pathway to the psychology degree.”

Increasingly over the course of his playing days, Richardson had seen how mental health issues had impacted on players’ performances.

“It sort of crept up on me by stealth,” he says. “One or two experiences made me realise that the mental side of the game was pretty much fundamental.

“Without wanting to be controversial, in terms of percentages I’d say it’s the most important aspect of life, of sport, of football. Sometimes people talk about heart and soul and mind, I see it all as part of the same thing.

“Sometimes managers I played for would bring in motivational speakers. It didn’t quite work. I always found interesting the kind of things they talked about but I don’t think it was particularly well received by team-mates. Some were left scratching their heads and not quite understanding what they were trying to get across.

“My experiences from playing in big matches with Blackburn and Aberdeen opened my eyes to how massively important the psychological side of the game is. Towards the end of my career, I struggled more. I observed a lot of performance anxiety in some of my team-mates which I found interesting. Seeing people I knew were good players finding it difficult even before we stepped outside the dressing room to control what I call ‘a state’. And how that consequently affected their performance.

“It struck me that as much as the coaches and managers can do a lot of the work, and you as a squad can work on things on the training ground, sometimes it’s what’s going on in people’s heads that is often the key factor.

“It’s that transition from playing at a level where it’s the most enjoyable thing you do. I was speaking to a player recently about how when you are at your best as a footballer or as any professional sportsman; it’s when that feeling of control over your ability to influence events is at its highest. That’s probably when you feel the most free and the most alive. When that starts to diminish and you feel like you have less of that because your physical body particularly is starting to let you down, then it becomes really challenging.

“The game itself was different when I played. There was nowhere near the same level of support with sports science but there was also nowhere near the same level of scrutiny.”

Initially, Richardson regarded studying psychology as a useful tool as he prepared to make the leap into management. He hung up his boots in his mid-30s after a spell at Chesterfield and joined their coaching staff before taking over as manager in April 2007. They finished eighth and 10th in League Two in his two seasons in charge. Missing out on promotion cost him his job in May 2009.

“Coaching and managing is obviously a well-worn path for players. Deep down I wasn’t totally convinced it was what I wanted to do but through doing my coaching badges and doing the studying I was exploring different avenues,” he says.

“I actually did my Pro Licence with Gareth Southgate and Mike Phelan. Dean Smith and Brendan Rodgers were on my A Licence course — guys who have gone on to do really well.

“I finished my Pro Licence, became fully qualified as a coach and basically got the sack the week after. Not long after Gareth got the bullet at Middlesbrough too.

“I spent the next year-and-a-half trying to stay in the game as either a coach or manager. But I soon realised how difficult it was going to be. The landscape was changing. A lot of players were coming out of the game who financially had done a lot better and were able to accept job offers that were maybe not much financially but were an opportunity, and I couldn’t compete with that.

“I signed on the dole for the first time in my life which was quite soul-destroying. I’d already had two careers by then really with playing and then managing. I’d got my degree and the more I studied psychology the more it interested me. It became something I really wanted to pursue.

“Even when I was at Chesterfield, I’d encourage a local clinical psychologist called Peter Leakey to come in and help us. I felt there was a role in the club for someone who could support performance and also support people for personal issues. I thought it was unfair for anyone to think that a manager or his coaches could deal with all these things while trying to get results on a Saturday. I felt with my background, if I got fully qualified as a psychologist, I might have something to offer.

“The defining moment was getting into the final three for the Oldham job. I knew who else was on the shortlist and I knew I was as qualified as anyone. I was more experienced than some and had a better record than others. I’d also won player of the year twice in three years there so I thought I’d have a connection with the fans. I didn’t get it and that hurt.

“I thought, ‘Is this really going to work out for me? How long can I leave it?’ The most challenging part of being a manager is being out of work. I thought whether I want to be a coach or a manager if football doesn’t necessarily want me. It was then that I decided to change tack.”

In 2010 Richardson and his brother Nick co-founded the performance management company AIM — an acronym for achievement in mind. They created an online mental health support hub called the Safety Net, which offers information and help on a range of issues from stress to bereavement and dependency. It was subsequently adopted by the Professional Footballers’ Association.

“We came up with the idea when mental health was still a dirty word,” he says. “My view, which is shared by a lot of psychologists and psychiatrists, is that mental health is indistinguishable from physical health in the sense that it needs management just like physical health needs management.

“This idea that there are happy, healthy people who go through life not having any challenges is complete fantasy. Most of us will face difficulties at some point, it’s the natural ebbs and flows of life — job loss, relationships breaking down, bereavements — lots of events happen which affect us psychologically.

“There are certain psychological processes, like anxiety, which are natural but in certain situations can become problematic. I had an understanding of that. The Safety Net was something created to try to de-stigmatise and make people realise that self-management, self-help, as well as help during crises, should be encouraged and just taken as normal, just like it would be with physical health or with people who want to keep fit. If you get an illness or a disease, you go and get help for it and mental health shouldn’t be looked upon any differently.

“There shouldn’t be a stigma. The stigma is often in the person’s own mind when it comes to seeking help. That was a strongly held belief of mine based on experience and education.”

Getting his foot in the door at a top club wasn’t straightforward. His big break arrived when Sam Allardyce appointed him as West Ham’s sports psychology consultant in 2011.

“Sam was very switched on to what was really the American model of sports science,” Richardson says. “Dave Brailsford got a lot of plaudits for the Olympic medals British cycling won with his policy of marginal gains but Sam was doing that years before.

“Over the years I do feel like he’s received some unfair press. I’m sure when he reflects he thinks he brought some of it on himself at times but he was influential on me in a number of ways. His football philosophy is misunderstood. Sam is a great football man and it was a privilege to work with him.”

Richardson worked with Allardyce again at Crystal Palace after stints with England Under-19s and Wigan Athletic. Slowly but surely, attitudes towards him changed and more players and staff sought his assistance.

“It was certainly much more challenging when I started out compared to now,” he says.

“It’s that bias and stigma that can make it challenging. People can’t often perceive their own behaviour and that’s natural.

“Every top football club now will have a sports science department of at least 20. The vast majority of them are dealing with physical things. It makes sense to have at least one person in the environment of looking at the psychological side of things, other than the manager and the coaches.

“You need to have someone who is right for the job. Sports psychology hasn’t always produced people who are at home within those environments. But I think they’re emerging because there are more and more ex-sportsmen of a reasonable level who are moving into this field and I welcome that hugely.

“There are a lot of physios out there now who are ex-players and that helps them when they are engaging with players too. If you have experienced what it’s like to win and lose and all the pain and strife that comes with it, I think you have an extra advantage in terms of communicating and existing in an elite environment.”

Klopp was keen to bring a psychologist on board to enhance Liverpool’s support network and Richardson was recommended. He met with sporting director Michael Edwards and then the club’s medical rehabilitation and performance manager Phil Jacobsen before finally sitting down with Klopp and assistant boss Pep Lijnders.

It was a process which lasted a number of months and ended with Richardson starting at Liverpool in June 2019. His first real interaction with the players was on the pre-season tour of the USA the following month.

Since then he has worked out of Melwood three times a week and he’s on call for players and staff the rest of the time. The specifics of his sessions remain confidential but he mostly operates on a one-to-one basis. His other main client is Lancashire Cricket Club.

“There are a number of people at Liverpool and Lancashire who I’m there for 24/7 on the end of a phone or on the screen if they need me. It’s not always about actually being at the training ground,” he says.

“The manager sets the tone in terms of how he wants things to operate. There are different ways, different models of approaching the role. It’s different at different clubs.

“I work with specific players in specific ways. The members of staff at Melwood also have access to me. There are always things that can emerge and I get asked to have some input into. In terms of working with individual players, the hope is that you develop a relationship where those potential barriers don’t exist. That’s really important.

“At a place like Liverpool where I’m working at the moment, there’s a group of players who have exceptional mentalities but at the same time, we’re all human beings. That’s the key thing for me as a psychologist to hammer home. Looking to improve should always be part of a professional sportsman’s mindset. Recognising when you can perform better is important. And also recognising that things can go wrong both on or off the pitch, whether that’s serious injury, a loss of form or personal issues. Having someone around who has experienced it and has strategies and techniques to deal with it is a no-brainer.”

Over the course of 2020 much of Richardson’s work has been dominated by COVID-19. After the lockdown in March, he sent all the players a presentation to watch to help them get through it. The theme was accepting what you can’t control.

Footballers are creatures of habit but their routine was turned upside down. Richardson remained in close contact with Klopp’s squad throughout the hiatus.

“The uncertainty principle is a fundamental human process,” he says.

“The attribute of needing certainty and familiarity for us to function in a kind of healthy psychological way was turned on its head by COVID. It’s made this year extremely challenging for most of us, whether you are a psychologist, a journalist or a top footballer. It brings home even more that human beings can be vulnerable to events that happen.”

Richardson believes the continued absence of supporters from Premier League games is impacting on players mentally.

“Yes, it’s the audience effect. This was one of the first sports psychology concepts discovered in the late 1800s by a social psychologist called Norman Triplett,” he says.

“The principle is that a crowd affects the performance of the athlete/performer in a competitive event. In fact, Triplett discovered that the more capable the performer, the more his performance would improve on average with the presence of a crowd. I think COVID restrictions are definitely levelling the playing field at the moment.”

Richardson’s scope extends far beyond Melwood and it’s growing fast. The pandemic has brought mental health into sharper focus with economic hardship and feelings of isolation taking their toll. Businesses and schools across the world are signing up to the Safety Net online platform via his website www.aim-for.com.

“We’re being told that it’s something that’s really needed and addressing this issue is long overdue,” he adds.

“We aren’t the only company doing such a thing but that’s good because there are millions of people in need of this kind of help or at least this kind of back-up. People can seek self-help in secrecy in their own time without necessarily having to come forward. I’m a big believer that that’s really important. Not everyone wants to come forward and publicly announce that they are struggling with a mental health issue.

“We need to make sure people have access to good quality information and resources without necessarily speaking to anyone if they feel stigmatised in any way. Anyone in severe crisis, in danger to themselves, they need help from someone else as soon as possible. But a lot of people just might be struggling a bit and want to find out a little bit more about why. That’s what it is so important about the Safety Net. Wherever there’s internet in the world, we can provide a safety net.

“We’re growing as a company. We have other digital products like our mindset course and team management tool. We’ve got an app coming out in early November which is going to enable people to access top performance and sports psychologists as well as help them improve their own performance.”

When it comes to the world of football, Richardson insists there are still strides to be made.

“It saddens me sometimes when people make negative comments about mental health support and management. It’s a sad state of affairs,” he adds.

“You’ve got to be careful with the language you use and how you discuss it, like saying a player is mentally strong or weak. I’d rather hear people say someone has great determination, desire, resilience and intelligence than saying he’s mentally tough. It’s such an arbitrary term that doesn’t really mean anything.

“When it comes to sporting prowess, the best performers have lots of advantages and demonstrate lots of skills. But it’s a bit like a game of cards. We all get dealt different hands. The game involves a degree of skill, strategy and understanding but often sometimes the hand you get dealt can minimise your chances of success. It’s easy for people to think that life is a level playing field but the truth is we know it’s not.

“Therefore judging who is more mentally strong than someone else based on an un-level playing field is a dangerous thing to do. We can develop ourselves to be more mentally resilient, to be more capable of riding these challenges, but at the same time we need to drop the stigma that those who are struggling and need to seek help are somehow not as strong.

“We are all different but we have all similar aims, hopes, desires and fears. Having more humanity in the world is certainly something that’s very much needed.”
Old 13-10-20, 07:30 AM   #7858
Sus
Benitez

Quote:
Fuck me what a champion...don't envy the guy who has to follow in his footsteps
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-20, 02:14 PM   #7859
Irishnev
Shankly

Old 16-10-20, 02:37 PM   #7860
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-20, 02:37 PM   #7861
dom9
Ant Pisser

That was actually quite funny.
Old 16-10-20, 02:46 PM   #7862
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Someone on GrandOldTeam dared to (kind of) compliment Klopp after he praised Everton:
Quote:
Nice words from Klopp tbf. think he's a bit of a clown but Maybe there's hope for him yet
It was not well received:

Quote:
No. He is a thunder[insert banned word].

Never hated a manager more than him.
Quote:
don't let him reel you in.
Quote:
Trying to smarm his way to a draw...
Not nearly as bad as Blue Moon but I still find it hilarious that they find a way to hate the most likeable manager I think there's arguably ever been.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-20, 09:39 PM   #7863
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Hahaha I miss Spitting Image
Old 16-10-20, 10:01 PM   #7864
rodo
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Hahaha I miss Spitting Image
you obviously havent seen the new one
Old 16-10-20, 10:15 PM   #7865
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
you obviously havent seen the new one
What, there's a new one?!
Old 16-10-20, 11:07 PM   #7866
Pepe79
Dalglish

Quote:
Well they didn’t have Jurgen Klopp on it last time around, did they?
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-20, 07:00 AM   #7867
rodo
Shankly

Quote:
Puppets are still great just the impressions arent as good

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC