It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 10-10-20, 12:01 PM   #9201
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
What a truly shit analogy

He’s like a made up character.
I can't take anyone serious with those stupid airpod sticks poking out of their ears.

Could be quoting Churchill and would still seem silly.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 02:31 PM   #9202
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
IIRC someone typo'd Silva into Dilva (D next to the S on a keyboard and all that) and it amused everyone greatly, no one more so than Neil Young.
HTH help
Old 10-10-20, 02:31 PM   #9203
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarwoo View Post
i can't take anyone serious with those stupid airpod sticks poking out of their ears.

Could be quoting churchill and would still seem silly.
iafn
Old 10-10-20, 04:38 PM   #9204
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Dudek

Sausage Hyypia Dilva etc
:rocj:
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 09:32 AM   #9205
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwarWoo View Post
I can't take anyone serious with those stupid airpod sticks poking out of their ears.

Could be quoting Churchill and would still seem silly.
Ohhh yessss
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 12:47 PM   #9206
spud_gun
Paisley

A further five Republic of Ireland players are out of Sunday's Nations League game against Wales after one of them tested positive for Covid-19.

The Football Association of Ireland said that an unnamed player tested positive on Friday after having tested negative last Monday.

Four other squad members identified as close contacts of the player have also been stood down for Sunday's match.

Aaron Connolly and Adam Idah are already out because of a Covid issue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54499407

-- At what point do they cancel the game? That's madness
Old 11-10-20, 12:53 PM   #9207
Oberon
Benitez

This looks a bit radical but there's some good things in there, away ticket price cap for example. Telegraph Exclusive

With added Rick Parry:

Under the new proposals, the League Cup and the Community Shield would be abolished. There have been additional discussions that the League Cup would survive but without the participation of the clubs in Europe.

There would be two automatic promotion places for Championship clubs, but the third, fourth and fifth placed clubs would be in a play-off tournament with the 16th placed Premier League club.

The nine clubs who have been in the Premier League for the longest - which includes the big six - would dictate its running in every aspect and would be free to play more games in the expanded Champions League that is anticipated from the 2024-2025 season onwards.

As well as the Premier League dropping from 20 clubs to 18, there would be 24 in each of the Championship, League One and League Two making a total of 90.

The plan is supported by the EFL chairman Rick Parry who has held talks with Liverpool’s principal owner, the American investor John W Henry, and shareholder and director Mike Gordon. In addition, Parry has spoken to the Glazer family, who own United.

The talks began in 2017 but have been accelerated since the coronavirus pandemic has thrust football into the grip of crisis with no fans in stadiums until March at the earliest. Liverpool and United are prepared for a fierce debate over their proposals but they want them implemented as soon as possible.

The Revitalisation document calls for immediate action to cut dramatically what it calls the “revenue chasm” in earnings from television contracts between the Premier League and the EFL. In order to discourage Championship clubs from gambling recklessly on promotion, the parachute payments system would be abolished in favour of the 25 per cent share of Premier League revenue being shared more equitably among EFL clubs.

Under proposals for the new model of distribution of television revenue in the Premier League, Fenway, the driving force behind the document, insist there would be no greater share for the top six. Their stated aim is to eliminate the huge gap in earnings between Premier League and EFL clubs while in return having a greater control of the decisions made by the Premier League.

The document says: “A reset of the economics and governance of the English football pyramid is long overdue”.

The proposals also rewrite the Premier League’s 20-club democracy in favour of placing huge power in the hands of the nine clubs with the longest continual stay in the division. As things stand that is the big six, as well as Everton, Southampton and West Ham. Those nine clubs afforded “long-term shareholder status” would have unprecedented power, with the votes of just six of them required to make sweeping changes. These clubs would even be able to veto a new owner taking over a rival club.

The power will move into the hands of the nine clubs with the longest continual stay in the division - which includes West Ham
The power would move into the hands of the nine clubs with the longest continual stay in the division - which includes West Ham

In an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph, Parry said that he had the support of many of his 72 members, many currently facing financial ruin, to go ahead with the plan. He said: “What do we do? Leave it exactly as it is and allow the smaller clubs to wither? Or do we do something about it? And you can’t do something about it without something changing. And the view of our clubs is if the [big] six get some benefits but the 72 also do, we are up for it.”

He accepted there would be opposition from the Premier League clubs outside the big six who would see it as detrimental to their financial prospects with less money and two fewer places in the top flight.

“It is definitely going to be challenging and it is an enormous change so that won’t be without some pain,” Parry said: “Do I genuinely think it’s for the greater good of the game as a whole? Absolutely. And if the [big] six are deriving some benefit then why shouldn’t they. Why wouldn’t they put their names to this otherwise?”

The proposals include:

£250 million immediately to the EFL to compensate its clubs for lost matchday revenue, deducted from future television revenue earnings and financed by a loan taken out by the Premier League
Special status for the nine longest serving clubs – and the vote of only six of those “long-term shareholders” required to make major changes, including amending rules and regulations, agreeing contracts, removal of the chief executive, and a wide-ranging veto including on club ownership
Premier League to go to 18 clubs from 20
£100 million one-off gift to the FA to cover its coronavirus losses, the non-league game, the women’s game, the grassroots
8.5 per cent of annual net Premier League revenue to go on operating costs and “good causes” including the FA
From the remainder, 25 per cent of all combined Premier League and Football League revenues to go to the EFL clubs
Six per cent of Premier League gross revenues to pay for stadium improvements across the top four divisions, calculated at £100 per seat
New rules for the distribution of Premier League television income, overseas and domestic, including proposals that base one portion on performance over three years in the league
The abolition of the League Cup and the Community Shield
24 clubs each in the Championship, League One and League Two reducing the professional game overall from 92 clubs to 90
A women's professional league independent of the Premier League or the FA
Two sides automatically relegated from the Premier League every season and the top two Championship teams promoted. The 16th place Premier League club in a play-off tournament with the Championship’s third, fourth and fifth placed teams.
Financial fair play regulations in line with Uefa, and full access for Premier League executive to club accounts
A fan charter including capping of away tickets at £20, away travel subsidised, a focus on a return to safe standing, a minimum away allocation of eight per cent capacity
Later Premier League start in August to give greater scope for pre-season friendlies, and requirement for all clubs to compete once every five years in a summer Premier League tournament
Huge changes to loan system allowing clubs to have 15 players out on loan domestically at any one time and up to four at a single club in England
Old 11-10-20, 01:43 PM   #9208
Fivex
The Wisp

Certainly class those changes as radical

Would be shocked if half of those got voted in tbh
Old 11-10-20, 01:59 PM   #9209
Sus
Benitez

I really like the idea of abolishing parachute payments and distributing income more equitably
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 02:03 PM   #9210
spud_gun
Paisley

£100m 'gift' to the FA

Deffo not a bribe. Nope.
Old 11-10-20, 04:27 PM   #9211
ChesterDave
Paisley

Cut the league down to 18 clubs andget rid of the league cup to make more time for friendlies? I don't know about anyone else but I'm utterly moist at the thought
Old 11-10-20, 04:47 PM   #9212
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
Cut the league down to 18 clubs andget rid of the league cup to make more time for friendlies? I don't know about anyone else but I'm utterly moist at the thought
Expanded Champions League from season 2024 onwards
Old 11-10-20, 04:56 PM   #9213
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Didn't FIFA also have plans for an expanded Club World Cup?
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 04:58 PM   #9214
ChesterDave
Paisley

Just seen the challenge for which James Mclean was sent off. Shoul;d have made it worth while and volleyed the welsh lad off the pitch. Embarrassing dive
Old 12-10-20, 10:05 AM   #9215
Scratch
If you fail once....

One imagines that this will be the biggest sticking point;

Quote:
Special status for the nine longest serving clubs – and the vote of only six of those “long-term shareholders” required to make major changes, including amending rules and regulations, agreeing contracts, removal of the chief executive, and a wide-ranging veto including on club ownership
Old 12-10-20, 11:14 AM   #9216
Charly
Dalglish

Yeah. Most of it looks reasonable, if not generous, but I dont think the 6 votes will fly with the other PL clubs. Not sure I am comfortable with it myself. Seems a bit unstable if the other 14 clubs object to something. Hopefully a compromise dan be reached.
Old 12-10-20, 11:53 AM   #9217
Fivex
The Wisp

Also, who the fuck are West Ham?
Old 12-10-20, 12:37 PM   #9218
Oberon
Benitez

Quote:
From the remainder, 25 per cent of all combined Premier League and Football League revenues to go to the EFL club
I think I read somewhere on Twitter (Dan Kennet?) that equals approx £8M per annum for every club outside the prem, if equally shared of course.

Follow Up from Telegraph

The Premier League was created, back in the early 1990s, out of the flames of the conflict between the Football Association and the Football League – a forgotten grudge which feels like ancient history now but dominated much of 20th-century English football.

The biggest clubs in the English game played off the FA against the Football League to get what they wanted. Famously, Greg Dyke, then negotiating on behalf of the broadcaster ITV, recalled later in his years as FA chairman that the governing body’s priority in 1992 was to inflict maximum damage on the Football League instead of securing the guarantees that were theirs for the taking.

In the early 1990s it was the big five of the era who led the breakaway - the two Merseyside clubs, the two North London rivals and Manchester United.

Thirty years on and attempts to re-mould that same Premier League – now the most powerful, and the most lucrative, sport league in the world – has echoes of the way in which it was created. The Premier League’s executive and all but its two most famous clubs, Manchester United and Liverpool in conjunction with the EFL chairman Rick Parry, have been bypassed.

But for Parry this is a scheme 25 years in the making. Three years after the Premier League began, in 1995, the Football League board spurned a second opportunity, backed by all bar one of its clubs, to share in the riches of its much more profitable sibling when, as Premier League chief executive, Parry offered to take over the negotiations for the Football League’s television rights and give a percentage of their combined income in return.

When, in 1995, the proposal was put to the 72 Football League clubs, 71 voted in favour of throwing their lot in with the Premier League. But the Football League board rejected it and insisted on negotiating alone.

Now the same offer forms part of these proposals. The EFL clubs themselves were mostly unaware of the strategy being pursued – many of them finding out when The Telegraph revealed the plans at lunchtime on Sunday. Before then Parry says that he has, at different times, alluded to the plan he had in mind, arguing that systemic problems mean clubs are not able to respond properly to the Covid crisis.

Indeed, talks have been ongoing for three years involving some of the most powerful owners in the Premier League. Among them was the American billionaire John W Henry, Liverpool’s principal owner and a key figure in what would become “Project Big Picture” and later the “Revitalisation” document.

So too Mike Gordon, another in Liverpool’s Fenway Sports Group, and one of those credited with the club’s recent transformation into European and then English champions. Parry was also speaking to Joel Glazer who has overseen a rather less successful ownership of Manchester United since his late father, Malcolm, bought the club in 2005.

Why did those billionaire investors, who control the most powerful clubs in the English game, choose Parry to help them restructure the sport? Among other things, he is regarded as a man who – as his interview The Telegraph reveals – is prepared to say the things that other figures in the game may believe privately but fear to utter. With Parry in charge of the EFL, United and Liverpool also believe that he can deliver consensus from his 72 very different members.

But this is a major gamble. Over the course of the three years, Parry worked in secret with the two biggest Premier League clubs to come up with a plan. He cares less about the power it will give the wealthiest clubs and more about the 25 per cent annually of Premier League revenue that will flow to his impecunious members. Others may be more conflicted but Parry regards this is an unprecedented concession and he is not afraid to say so. In the meantime he has secured agreements from his members for salary caps which he says will be an end to the ruinous spending of years gone by.

For United and Liverpool, the pay-off is not a greater share of the revenue from the Premier League’s television deal – they are insistent that will not happen. Instead those two clubs say they want the power, along with the other members of the elite to shape the rules of the league and also to have more matchdays to compete in a potentially expanded Champions League. Those who oppose them are much more dubious that it will not deliver a greater share.

The authors of “Revitalisation” are on their 17th draft already. Optimistically they want to see it in place for the 2022-2023 season. On the question of how the Premier League would come down from 20 clubs to 18, there is no firm proposal yet. The league’s original reduction from 22 clubs to 20 took three years because the Football League was not ready to accommodate the extra clubs until 1995-96.

Parry has shared his plans with just a few close confidants, including the Stoke chairman, John Coates, and his Middlesbrough counterpart, Steve Gibson. “They are 100 per cent supportive because it is for the greater good,” Parry said. “Those two are genuinely up for it. They are excited, and passionate about it. In a time when everyone is panicking how we will emerge from it you need a long-term vision and you need hope.”

Last edited by Oberon; 12-10-20 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added the Follow up
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-20, 01:02 PM   #9219
Harv
Randy Marsh

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-20, 10:00 PM   #9220
spud_gun
Paisley

WTF is happening in Group F of the Nations league?

Faroe Islands top with 10 points from 4 games
Old 14-10-20, 10:06 PM   #9221
ChesterDave
Paisley

They're all crap teams fora start
Old 14-10-20, 10:07 PM   #9222
spud_gun
Paisley

There's crap and then there's Faroe Islands.
Old 15-10-20, 10:17 PM   #9223
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Surprised nobody mentioned this - this guy is unreal in the football manager world but he has only 3 goals in senior football. Another Mendes players goes to Wolves and the rest of the Portuguese lads......

Big gamble and will be v interesting to see how it pans out

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/1302501787899891713
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-20, 10:50 PM   #9224
ChesterDave
Paisley

Fucking parasites.
Old 16-10-20, 07:40 AM   #9225
RichC
Meh

They are but until the system is overhauled by the associations and clubs they’ll remain.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-20, 04:59 PM   #9226
spud_gun
Paisley

Fat Frank's teams still can't defend.

Old 18-10-20, 04:37 PM   #9227
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

WHam clean sheets only while Moyeseh . 45 seconds in & they concede. #Winner
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM   #9228
spud_gun
Paisley

Old Today, 07:04 AM   #9229
Harv
Randy Marsh

Thats mental

nearly 90 yrs between three players!

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:35 AM   #9230
dom9
Ant Pisser

Old Today, 11:05 AM   #9231
S-RED
Dalglish

He seems a sound lad

S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:11 AM   #9232
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Would you have him back?
Old Today, 11:23 AM   #9233
Fivex
The Wisp

Yes, bring him home
Old Today, 11:43 AM   #9234
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Yeah it'll never happen but for the right fee I'd have him back. He's turned into a good player and he's also a great character and a real leader. I'm not sure he's a better talent than Gomez, but I'd argue he's more reliable than him. He'd make a great squad player.
Pablo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:51 AM   #9235
dom9
Ant Pisser

Well, we do need some more cover back there right now.
Old Today, 12:05 PM   #9236
Rigadon
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Would you have him back?
Possibly. He's good in a back 3 (5). He would my first choice CB for England.

est1892 > Football > General Football