It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 14-10-20, 04:09 PM   #25441
Deano
Shankly

Doesn't Poch have a clause that prevents him joining a top club for x amount of months unless a fee is paid to Sprus ?
Old 14-10-20, 04:30 PM   #25442
Exiled_red
Paisley

Lets hope that there results pick up a bit and Ole moves Fernandes on in January
Old 15-10-20, 09:18 AM   #25443
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

From the BBC. Ouch.

Quote:
Harry Maguire suffered a shambolic 31 minutes before he put himself out of his own misery as England lost to Denmark at Wembley - his premature departure prompting the question of whether he now needs a longer break from the game.

Manchester United's 27-year-old captain cut a distracted and chaotic figure as he endured a personal nightmare, its conclusion with a red card carrying an air of inevitability from the moment he recklessly launched himself at Yussuf Poulsen to pick up an early yellow.

It was the start of a performance that was almost painful to watch - bad positioning, a suggestion of an injury and then amateurish control that led to the desperate lunge on Kasper Dolberg that not only injured the striker but sent Maguire down the tunnel.

Maguire looked totally devoid of confidence, a lost soul and an accident waiting to happen, which it eventually did.

It comes at the end of a period that looks to have taken its toll on Maguire and, sadly, leaves him looking like a defensive liability for club and country.

Misery for Maguire and England at Wembley - listen to Football Daily podcast
Maguire's troubles started in August when he was given a suspended sentence of 21 months and 10 days in prison after he was found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after a trial on the Greek island of Syros.

He maintains his innocence and has lodged an appeal - which means a retrial and the conviction being set aside in the meantime - but it feels and looks like the weight of this incident and its public aftermath has carried over into the new season. This normally exuberant, combative character, who revelled in his 'man of the people' persona at the 2018 World Cup in Russia, looks troubled.

Maguire was always extravagantly priced at £80m but a player who is a solid and serviceable Premier League defender and has become one of England manager Gareth Southgate's most trusted squad members now looks hopelessly out of form.

He has cut a struggling figure as United's defence has been run ragged by Crystal Palace, Brighton and, of course, Tottenham in that 6-1 humiliation at Old Trafford.

And when referee Jesus Gil Manzano showed him the red card, Maguire resembled an individual who had hit rock bottom.

England's men have received three red cards in a single calendar year for the first time ever
This was a performance from Maguire that was sending out distress signals from pretty much the first whistle. The control was poor, the discipline was worse, even the simplest of tasks - a pass, a clearance - looked an almighty struggle.

Maguire's display, in a footballing context, must be criticised, but it is clear his fragile form and what seems a confused mental approach to the game will need careful handling, not just by Southgate but, more importantly, by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at United.

The defender looks like someone who might benefit from some time on the sidelines to gather his thoughts, clear his head and get back to something like the player and personality who had enough impact at Old Trafford after his move from Leicester City to be awarded the captain's armband.

It is a difficult balancing act because Maguire might not wish to be taken out of the line of fire and such are United's current struggles that Solskjaer may feel he needs his leader going in to battle for him.

What is clear is that he will now need more of the sympathy and support Solskjaer and United have given him so far.

Maguire's red card was a low point on a very indifferent night for England - the first time they have had two players sent off, with Chelsea defender Reece James dismissed for dissent after the final whistle.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-20, 09:27 AM   #25444
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Only seems like yesterday there was talk of United winning the title.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-20, 09:28 AM   #25445
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Chris Waddle tipped them to win it and us to come 3rd
Old 15-10-20, 09:37 AM   #25446
dom9
Ant Pisser

That looks like Phil McNulty's work.

Pretty much the most negative sports journalist out there (unless he's talking about Hodgson). He'd fit right in, contributing to our match threads.
Old 15-10-20, 12:07 PM   #25447
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Maybe he is Kenneth () ?

I'd agree with him on a lot of his Maguire comment. Big Harry looks totally broken. He was already masquerading as the worlds most expensive CB, and just about holding his head above water, now he is making mistakes in every single game. The run in with the Greeks and the potential of doing time allied to the fact that Man U are not as good as everyone was making out after lockdown seems to have broken him completely.
Old 15-10-20, 12:10 PM   #25448
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Maybe he is Kenneth () ?

I'd agree with him on a lot of his Maguire comment. Big Harry looks totally broken. He was already masquerading as the worlds most expensive CB, and just about holding his head above water, now he is making mistakes in every single game. The run in with the Greeks and the potential of doing time allied to the fact that Man U are not as good as everyone was making out after lockdown seems to have broken him completely.
I think that the Greek thing hanging over him is affecting his game, reminds me of the Woodgate and Bowyer situation in the early 2000's. Bowyer was able to play fine week in week out but Woodgate sat out much of the time while that was going on because he couldn't concentrate on his football. It looks like Maguire might be going through something similar.
Old 15-10-20, 12:13 PM   #25449
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Maybe he is Kenneth () ?

He does look completely bereft of confidence - not uncommon in sportsmen or women - but suddenly the conversation seems to have pivoted to "ooh his mental health is not good, let's go on easy on him, poor Harry, he's gone through so much lately, be kind"...etc.

Uh, he had a scrap and got nicked. Most of us have been there ffs. Granted his profile makes it more difficult, but ffs. Perhaps he's just shit and is low on confidence.
Old 15-10-20, 12:16 PM   #25450
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

(I don't mean you btw Buzzo - talking about journalists and the general mood on social media)
Old 15-10-20, 12:39 PM   #25451
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
(I don't mean you btw Buzzo - talking about journalists and the general mood on social media)
I followed you.

Yeah, it is a good point and probably the easiest way to protect a guy who is just playing really, really badly. His problem was he was only just getting away with it last season.

He looks absolutely shite now.
Old 15-10-20, 01:24 PM   #25452
Alex
Administrator

It has pivoted. But I dont think its the media per say. I watched the game and he looked like he was going to cry when he got sent off. He clearly isn't right mentally.

A lot of this for me goes along with how we should treat mental health doesnt it? Shouldn't the clubs treat it the same as a broken leg etc?

Although its hard to have sympathy for the millionaire footballer whos just bad at football, I agree.
Old 15-10-20, 01:30 PM   #25453
dom9
Ant Pisser

It's probably a bit different for defenders and goalkeepers than forwards.

Look at Karius (and now Adrian). Everyone is now waiting (wanting, even?) for them to make a mistake again. Lovren had that baggage too. De Gea is on that path. Pickford is permanently tainted.

When a forward goes through a patch of limited confidence, the old cliche about scoring a fluky one to get you back up and running again kinda holds.

But if you're a defender, how do you do that? "Fuck yeah, what a clearance. I'm back on it again." It doesn't work like that.
Old 15-10-20, 01:30 PM   #25454
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
He does look completely bereft of confidence - not uncommon in sportsmen or women - but suddenly the conversation seems to have pivoted to "ooh his mental health is not good, let's go on easy on him, poor Harry, he's gone through so much lately, be kind"...etc.

Uh, he had a scrap and got nicked. Most of us have been there ffs. Granted his profile makes it more difficult, but ffs. Perhaps he's just shit and is low on confidence.
Fuck him, it's hilarious how he's gone to shit.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-20, 01:31 PM   #25455
Alex
Administrator

Then again, we arent Doctors, so probably shouldn't be diagnosing the guy. Hes just a shit defender who is being coached worse than he was 2 years ago. Thats the main issue he needs to address.
Old 15-10-20, 01:31 PM   #25456
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Maybe he is Kenneth () ?
Oi!
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-20, 01:33 PM   #25457
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It has pivoted. But I dont think its the media per say. I watched the game and he looked like he was going to cry when he got sent off. He clearly isn't right mentally.

A lot of this for me goes along with how we should treat mental health doesnt it? Shouldn't the clubs treat it the same as a broken leg etc?

Although its hard to have sympathy for the millionaire footballer whos just bad at football, I agree.
Definitely Mental Health is a massive issue, and one that is not protected by salary or financial security.

It will be interesting to see what happens, because he looks broken, and we can only speculate as to why. By many accounts (his Hull team mates) he is a really nice lad.

It is now one of Utd's biggest issues to fix, and I dont think they have a manager with the experience to deal with it. He can't win, remove Maguire form the team and it makes a massive story, leave him in and risk more defeats. Plus who replaces him?

Old 15-10-20, 01:34 PM   #25458
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Oi!
Haha
Old 15-10-20, 01:38 PM   #25459
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Definitely Mental Health is a massive issue, and one that is not protected by salary or financial security.

It will be interesting to see what happens, because he looks broken, and we can only speculate as to why. By many accounts (his Hull team mates) he is a really nice lad.

It is now one of Utd's biggest issues to fix, and I dont think they have a manager with the experience to deal with it. He can't win, remove Maguire form the team and it makes a massive story, leave him in and risk more defeats. Plus who replaces him?

Its one I think still has a stigma around it in football.

I think all injuries should be taken seriously, but as I said. Im no doctor, so could be miles off on that one.
Old 15-10-20, 01:46 PM   #25460
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:

Bailly and Lindeloff will probably form a much better partnership (IIRC, they had a decent bit of form a few years ago together).

Ole will stumble into this and be hailed as a messiah for sorting out the defence.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-20, 01:54 PM   #25461
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Its one I think still has a stigma around it in football.

I think all injuries should be taken seriously, but as I said. Im no doctor, so could be miles off on that one.
True. I read a good interview with the psychologist at Liverpool the other day (may have been on here?) and he made loads of great points.

Itís still a macho culture so getting people to open up is always going to be a challenge. I guess prt of the issue here is people speculating as to Harry Maguire mental health, when really we donít know anything and it could become self fulfilling. Or. He could be struggling in which case elite sport is not the place for him right now.
Old 15-10-20, 02:02 PM   #25462
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Fuck him, it's hilarious how he's gone to shit.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-20, 02:37 PM   #25463
S-RED
Dalglish

Ole hasn't got the bollocks to leave him out of the team & give him a break, maybe this weekend they may leave him on the bench, but then he will be straight back in.

Bloke needs a few weeks away from the game, talk to someone, sort his head out & then ease him in gently.

That said its UTD so fuck'em
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-20, 10:09 AM   #25464
Sus
Benitez

Quote:
Chris Waddle tipped them to win it and us to come 3rd
That can't be for real, surely? How some of these people get paid for their opinions is beyond me...
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-20, 12:47 PM   #25465
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post
Ole hasn't got the bollocks to leave him out of the team & give him a break, maybe this weekend they may leave him on the bench, but then he will be straight back in.

Bloke needs a few weeks away from the game, talk to someone, sort his head out & then ease him in gently.

That said its UTD so fuck'em
...needs a nice quiet holiday to Greece.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-20, 01:16 PM   #25466
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus View Post
That can't be for real, surely? How some of these people get paid for their opinions is beyond me...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54081636
Old 16-10-20, 01:24 PM   #25467
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Waddle
Quote:
There are a lot of games jammed into this season and I am looking at the teams with the biggest squads as the ones who will do well. I don't think Liverpool will cope. City will, of course, but I just have a sneaky feeling United will spring a surprise. They already have a lot of quality on their books, and they might sign a couple more.
Jenas calling it surprisingly.

Quote:
I know Bruno Fernandes came in and lifted them and they are playing lovely stuff but that effect can disappear really quickly. An injury here or there could really hurt them - it is going to be a weird season where teams are going to have to use a lot of their squad, and United will need to add to theirs to be sure of making the top four.
Old 17-10-20, 03:06 PM   #25468
Sus
Benitez

What a moronic opinion from Waddle
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-20, 08:03 PM   #25469
Zapater
Dalglish

Already
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-20, 08:04 PM   #25470
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-20, 08:06 PM   #25471
spud_gun
Paisley

That was an exquisite lob
Old 17-10-20, 08:31 PM   #25472
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Phew Man U equalise. I reckon Oles gone if they lose this. Need them to get some points. Too soon for them to be considering a good manager.
Old 17-10-20, 09:18 PM   #25473
Fivex
The Wisp

Penandes missed pen
Old 17-10-20, 09:56 PM   #25474
Exiled_red
Paisley

Fuck off two late goals have them winning 3-1
Old 17-10-20, 10:07 PM   #25475
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Terrible day for humanity
Old 17-10-20, 10:25 PM   #25476
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Ole back at the wheel though.

Ed's fucked him over but he still finds a way.
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-20, 11:15 PM   #25477
frank the tank
Shankly

Ole at the wheel

I hope PSG spank those cunts during the week. Would be hilarious to see Mbappe et al tear Maguire a new arsehole. The fuckin prick. I want to see that fuckin slaphead cunt cry on the pitch.....
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 08:25 PM   #25478
S-RED
Dalglish

Pen missed then retaken,... Fuckin joke what they get away with
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 08:54 PM   #25479
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Guaranteed pens every game must make life easier.
Old 20-10-20, 09:13 PM   #25480
McDermotX
Paisley

Well done Martial

McManaman - 'and somehow, PSG are back in this game' - this 30seconds after they hit the bar, 5mins after DeGea made his third top save of the night etc etc

est1892 > Football > General Football