It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 08-05-20, 10:50 AM   #8721
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

He went all David Icke
Old 08-05-20, 10:59 AM   #8722
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
What happened to Frenchie?
He got really cross and went home.
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 11:08 AM   #8723
Fivex
The Wisp

Said he wasnít a David Icke believer himself (even though heís been coming round to the ideas the more he reads) but rather he resolutely backed the rights of other people (definitely not referring to himself) to have an unchallenged and unridiculed platform to go full David Icke - even if the content is easily provable bullshit - and he completely disagrees with social media platforms having terms and conditions on their own privately owned platforms that are designed to safeguard their users from harmful content and misinformation, because banning people makes them a martyr for said misinformation. He then took personal offence that Icke chat should be in the joke forum, things got a bit touchy and he left.
Old 08-05-20, 01:57 PM   #8724
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

This video clip is only 3 minutes but it would feel like a lifetime if you were in the ring for one round!

Also, Donnie Yen
Old 08-05-20, 02:07 PM   #8725
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivex View Post
Said he wasn’t a David Icke believer himself (even though he’s been coming round to the ideas the more he reads) but rather he resolutely backed the rights of other people (definitely not referring to himself) to have an unchallenged and unridiculed platform to go full David Icke - even if the content is easily provable bullshit - and he completely disagrees with social media platforms having terms and conditions on their own privately owned platforms that are designed to safeguard their users from harmful content and misinformation, because banning people makes them a martyr for said misinformation. He then took personal offence that Icke chat should be in the joke forum, things got a bit touchy and he left.
Haha.

Nice summary

Imposing a Self banning on the subject of Free Speech FTW
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 02:11 PM   #8726
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
This video clip is only 3 minutes but it would feel like a lifetime if you were in the ring for one round!

Ip Man vs Mike Tyson HD - YouTube

Also, Donnie Yen
The worst of all the Ip Mans but that's some pistol squat.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 02:12 PM   #8727
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
The worst of all the Ip Mans but that's some pistol squat.
Agreed and agreed.
Old 09-05-20, 06:36 PM   #8728
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Fell down a rabbit hole after seeing Herol Graham trending on Twitter and so I looked up the footage of him getting absolutely bingo'd by Julian Jackson. That's got to be the best one punch ko ever. Fucking insane.

Then I re-watched Benn v McClellan. Fuck me. I remember watching this with my Dad. It's surely the most brutal fight of all time.

I was looking at McCellan's record, first round ko after first round ko. He'd just battered Julian Jackson in 1 before Benn and after 35 seconds he's smashed Benn out of the ring! Fucking unbelievable, the man was an utter animal. Incredible that Benn fought back. Fucking total warriors the pair of em.

Old 09-05-20, 06:52 PM   #8729
Darth Marty
Quite Contrary

ha ha sounds like Alan Partridge is commentating on the Jackson/Graham fight!

The Benn/Mclellan fight was bankers in its viciousness, I recall Benn being knocked out of the ring almost, and then somehow getting right back in to it.

I rewatched the fight as an adult a number of years ago, and its notably obvious that Mclellan had issues early on, dabbing his eye, blinking a lot...poor fucker.
Old 09-05-20, 06:55 PM   #8730
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

He was fully knocked out of the ring after 35 fucking seconds! McClellan throwing massive bombs from the off looking for his customary first round ko. Mental.

Yeah he's definitely blinking hard and it's distressing to watch really. Apparently he told his cornerman after the 6th "I wanna quit".
Old 09-05-20, 07:02 PM   #8731
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

He does sound like Partridge too

You look at that ko and wonder why the ref even bothered counting him out. Should've sat him up or something, Bomber was absolutely out cold before he hit the canvas. An outrageous ko.
Old 09-05-20, 07:10 PM   #8732
labourRed
Shankly

Yeah, I rewatched the 'silent classic' a few years back. It's actually a distressing watch. I remember watching it as a kid oblivious to the unfolding doom but fuck me, it was super exciting. Got me into boxing tbf.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 07:19 PM   #8733
spud_gun
Paisley

Have a read of Kevin Mitchells 'War, Baby' about that fight.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Baby-Vi...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It's excellent
Old 09-05-20, 07:23 PM   #8734
spud_gun
Paisley

If you want to really go down a Nigel Benn boxing rabbit hole then watch Benn's fight with Micheal Watson. You'll see Benn was nothing more than a crude slugger.

Then watch Benn against Iran Barkley to see how effective Benn could be against another crude slugger.

And to round it off watch James Toney vs Iran Barkley for one of the best exhibitions of boxing you'll ever see
Old 09-05-20, 07:31 PM   #8735
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Have a read of Kevin Mitchells 'War, Baby' about that fight.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Baby-Vi...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It's excellent
Nice one man, just ordered that.

Quote:
If you want to really go down a Nigel Benn boxing rabbit hole then watch Benn's fight with Micheal Watson. You'll see Benn was nothing more than a crude slugger.

Then watch Benn against Iran Barkley to see how effective Benn could be against another crude slugger.

And to round it off watch James Toney vs Iran Barkley for one of the best exhibitions of boxing you'll ever see
I remember the Watson fight and haven't watched it back since. Might watch it tonight.

I'm no expert but have always thought Benn was a bar room brawler, but fuck me did he maximise what he had.
Old 09-05-20, 07:35 PM   #8736
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Fell down a rabbit hole after seeing Herol Graham trending on Twitter and so I looked up the footage of him getting absolutely bingo'd by Julian Jackson. That's got to be the best one punch ko ever. Fucking insane.

Herol Graham v Julian Jackson Devastating KO - YouTube

Then I re-watched Benn v McClellan. Fuck me. I remember watching this with my Dad. It's surely the most brutal fight of all time.

I was looking at McCellan's record, first round ko after first round ko. He'd just battered Julian Jackson in 1 before Benn and after 35 seconds he's smashed Benn out of the ring! Fucking unbelievable, the man was an utter animal. Incredible that Benn fought back. Fucking total warriors the pair of em.

Nigel Benn vs Gerald McClellan | WBC World Super-Middleweight Title UK vs USA Epic Fight Brutal - YouTube
Had £100 on McCellan to win in round one at 9-2
Was pissed off with that long count to say the least.
Old 09-05-20, 07:35 PM   #8737
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

My old man saw Benn fight at Bethnal Green York Hall, in his early days. He was on the 2nd row and always tells me the sheer brutality of Benn's power has never left him. Said he got soaked in sweat off the dude Benn was smashing all over the place. After that we used to listen to Benn's fights on the radio before he graduated to live ITV. Real fond memories.
Old 09-05-20, 07:36 PM   #8738
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
Had £100 on McCellan to win in round one at 9-2
Was pissed off with that long count to say the least.

Benn did get a bit lucky there.
Old 09-05-20, 07:39 PM   #8739
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Nice one man, just ordered that.

I remember the Watson fight and haven't watched it back since. Might watch it tonight.

I'm no expert but have always thought Benn was a bar room brawler, but fuck me did he maximise what he had.
Hope you enjoy the book.

Watch the Benn vs Watson fight. You're bang on the money in your assessment of Benn.

Pay very close attention to how the fight ends. It's been whitewashed from history by the Benn fanboys.
Old 09-05-20, 07:42 PM   #8740
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Hope you enjoy the book.

Watch the Benn vs Watson fight. You're bang on the money in your assessment of Benn.

Pay very close attention to how the fight ends. It's been whitewashed from history by the Benn fanboys.
Gonna watch it shortly.

Of the three I always rooted for Benn, partly cos my Dad saw him live and talked about it a lot, but also just cos I loved his thuggery

Who was your man of those three?
Old 09-05-20, 07:53 PM   #8741
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Gonna watch it shortly.

Of the three I always rooted for Benn, partly cos my Dad saw him live and talked about it a lot, but also just cos I loved his thuggery

Probably Eubank.

Similar reason to yours.

My dad was a fan of Eubank in his early days. He would always say that Eubank had the right idea about boxing. That it was a mugs game and boxers should make their money while they could and get out the sport with their faculties in tact.

Watching Benn vs Watson now
Old 09-05-20, 07:59 PM   #8742
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
My old man saw Benn fight at Bethnal Green York Hall, in his early days. He was on the 2nd row and always tells me the sheer brutality of Benn's power has never left him. Said he got soaked in sweat off the dude Benn was smashing all over the place. After that we used to listen to Benn's fights on the radio before he graduated to live ITV. Real fond memories.
I spent a strange few hours in the wembley hilton bar after the Bruno v McCall fight at Wembley. Tony Tucker (the "Essex Boys" gangster who got shot not the boxer) had carried Benn's belt into the ring and still had it wrapped round his waist.
He latched onto us and we had to have a couple of beers with him while he coke ranted about Ambrose Mendy allegedly threatening to kill him and shared loads of frankly unrepeatable boxing gossip.
Didn't know who the fuck he was til he was plastered all over the news after getting shot 3 months later.
Strangely that same night also had a drink with Tony Tucker the boxer and met Virgil Hill and Steve the viking Foster.
Virgil was an absolute gent,I'd been talking to Brian Schumacher a few weeks earlier who had lost to Hill in the first bout of the 84 Olympics and he'd said if I saw Virgil say hello from him - well I did and Virgil asked us to join him for a bit and signed our programs before giving me the plastic fight band from his wrist.
Was a cracking night.
Old 09-05-20, 08:00 PM   #8743
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
Gonna watch it shortly.

Michael Watson - absolute gent.
Old 09-05-20, 08:03 PM   #8744
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Probably Eubank.

Similar reason to yours.

My dad was a fan of Eubank in his early days. He would always say that Eubank had the right idea about boxing. That it was a mugs game and boxers should make their money while they could and get out the sport with their faculties in tact.

Watching Benn vs Watson now

Quote:
I spent a strange few hours in the wembley hilton bar after the Bruno v McCall fight at Wembley. Tony Tucker (the "Essex Boys" gangster who got shot not the boxer) had carried Benn's belt into the ring and still had it wrapped round his waist.
He latched onto us and we had to have a couple of beers with him while he coke ranted about Ambrose Mendy allegedly threatening to kill him and shared loads of frankly unrepeatable boxing gossip.
Didn't know who the fuck he was til he was plastered all over the news after getting shot 3 months later.
Strangely that same night also had a drink with Tony Tucker the boxer and met Virgil Hill and Steve the viking Foster.
Virgil was an absolute gent,I'd been talking to Brian Schumacher a few weeks earlier who had lost to Hill in the first bout of the 84 Olympics and he'd said if I saw Virgil say hello from him - well I did and Virgil asked us to join him for a bit and signed our programs before giving me the plastic fight band from his wrist.
Was a cracking night.
Ha. Amazing!

I watched Bruno-McCall in a pub in Tottenham on my own. Had a great night, not quite as great as yours though haha
Old 10-05-20, 12:57 PM   #8745
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
Yeah, I rewatched the 'silent classic' a few years back. It's actually a distressing watch. I remember watching it as a kid oblivious to the unfolding doom but fuck me, it was super exciting. Got me into boxing tbf.
Yeah, thats a tough watch. Ive not seen that fight since it happened.

That era was easily the most I was into boxing, making plans to watch fights. With that group of middle weights going toe to toe in some awesome bouts over the years.

I always remember a Watson v Eubank fight where Watson was so pumped up by Eubank from all the pre match chat he literally flew at him from the bell.
Old 10-05-20, 07:17 PM   #8746
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Was a cracking night.
That's aboslutely insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Yeah, thats a tough watch. Ive not seen that fight since it happened.

That era was easily the most I was into boxing, making plans to watch fights. With that group of middle weights going toe to toe in some awesome bouts over the years.

I always remember a Watson v Eubank fight where Watson was so pumped up by Eubank from all the pre match chat he literally flew at him from the bell.
Pretty tragic times with how unprepared they were with both the Eubank - Watson and Benn - McClennan fights but I feel that they were necessary to put some basic measures in place to make the sport safer moving forward. I can't believe to this day that this was in the 90s and not 20 years earlier that they didn't even have oxygen etc on site. Both McClennan and Watson would in all likelihood have made full recoveries with reasonable medical treatment immediately after the incidents occurred.

Saw the documentary where Eubank discusses and you have to feel for the guy, itís bleak.

I like all of those fighters along with some of the Americans who were also doing some great things at the time like Roy Jones and James Toney. I think many people forget how good those 2 were because they fought on way too long and have ended up losing fights to journeymen, I canít believe Enzo Macrenelli knocked out RJJ for example but over time, Iím sure theyíll be regarded of some of the best of their era. Remember seeing a Steve Collins interview around 10 years ago saying that he went to train with Toney when he was in his prime and he'd apparently sip on a 2L bottle of Pepsi as he trained. Collins couldn't believe it and asked him about it and Toney was not bothered. Guess that's the mentality of some people and back then it was probably easier for top athletes to get away with it. I mean, we won the UEFA Cup with our players fueled on beans and toast!
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 10:47 PM   #8747
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
That's aboslutely insane.

Pretty tragic times with how unprepared they were with both the Eubank - Watson and Benn - McClennan fights but I feel that they were necessary to put some basic measures in place to make the sport safer moving forward. I can't believe to this day that this was in the 90s and not 20 years earlier that they didn't even have oxygen etc on site. Both McClennan and Watson would in all likelihood have made full recoveries with reasonable medical treatment immediately after the incidents occurred.

Saw the documentary where Eubank discusses and you have to feel for the guy, it’s bleak.

I like all of those fighters along with some of the Americans who were also doing some great things at the time like Roy Jones and James Toney. I think many people forget how good those 2 were because they fought on way too long and have ended up losing fights to journeymen, I can’t believe Enzo Macrenelli knocked out RJJ for example but over time, I’m sure they’ll be regarded of some of the best of their era. Remember seeing a Steve Collins interview around 10 years ago saying that he went to train with Toney when he was in his prime and he'd apparently sip on a 2L bottle of Pepsi as he trained. Collins couldn't believe it and asked him about it and Toney was not bothered. Guess that's the mentality of some people and back then it was probably easier for top athletes to get away with it. I mean, we won the UEFA Cup with our players fueled on beans and toast!
Steve Collins!!! I was getting his name mixed up with Watson.

It was Collins that almost flew horizontally at Eubank at the start of one of their fights. He wanted to kill him. Just watched it now He has no control at all for the first round - just a desire to maim. He literally trys to take Eubanks head off about 5 times in the first 30 seconds

Loads of hay makers at the end also, arms everywhere. Brutal era from a load of guys who were incredibly well matched and never ever went down easy.

Last edited by Buzzo; 10-05-20 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-05-20, 10:50 PM   #8748
Chazza
Des Lynam

Collins was an animal.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 10:57 PM   #8749
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
It was Collins that almost flew horizontally at Eubank at the start of one of their fights. He wanted to kill him. Just watched it now He has no control at all for the first round - just a desire to maim. He literally trys to take Eubanks head off about 5 times in the first 30 seconds

Quote:
“We’re sitting in the hotel, it’s midnight the night before the fight, and Eubank said, ‘I’m going home.’

“I said, ‘What do you mean you’re going home? We’ve sold the show out, it’s on TV.’

“He said, ‘No, no, no, no, Barry you don’t understand, this man’s been hypnotised.’
Old 10-05-20, 11:01 PM   #8750
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He didn't put Collins down to be fair. Collins was trying to remove Eubanks head from his neck so hard that when he missed completely his momentum took him out of the ring.

But he is right, if Eubank wasnt so spooked he should have won the fight in the first when Collins is all over the place.
Old 11-05-20, 11:30 AM   #8751
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post

I like all of those fighters along with some of the Americans who were also doing some great things at the time like Roy Jones and James Toney. I think many people forget how good those 2 were because they fought on way too long and have ended up losing fights to journeymen, I canít believe Enzo Macrenelli knocked out RJJ for example but over time, Iím sure theyíll be regarded of some of the best of their era. Remember seeing a Steve Collins interview around 10 years ago saying that he went to train with Toney when he was in his prime and he'd apparently sip on a 2L bottle of Pepsi as he trained. Collins couldn't believe it and asked him about it and Toney was not bothered. Guess that's the mentality of some people and back then it was probably easier for top athletes to get away with it. I mean, we won the UEFA Cup with our players fueled on beans and toast!
I'm a huge fan of James Toney.

Donald McRae's the Darktrade features Toney quite heavily.

It's well worth a read if you haven't already.
Old 11-05-20, 12:32 PM   #8752
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:

When he misses and nearly launches himself out of the ring
Old 11-05-20, 01:24 PM   #8753
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
When he misses and nearly launches himself out of the ring
I remember watching that in the pub. It was absolutely going off at the start of the fight because the build up had been so epic. Iíd actually forgotten how much boxing I used to watch back then. We used to actually build nights out around the UK fights.

I was a student then also.

What a time to be alive..!
Old 11-05-20, 03:18 PM   #8754
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I met Chris Eubank once in London, jodhpurs and all, an absolute gent and had hands the size of dinner plates.
Old 12-05-20, 02:16 AM   #8755
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:

Loads of hay makers at the end also, arms everywhere. Brutal era from a load of guys who were incredibly well matched and never ever went down easy.

Chris Eubank vs Steve Collins 2 - YouTube
Was a little confused with your initial post because even though I knew there was a bit of needle in the build-up to the Watson fight, Watson was a composed, nice guy and carried that calmness and composure into the ring with him. Can't remember the fight vividly, but pretty sure he battered Eubank with the jab and measured right hands until it went wrong for him at the end.

On that era, I have a soft spot for all of them. Nigel Benn is probably my favourite; fearless and relentless. Even though he was a bit troubled, he seemed like a genuine person and likable despite the angst. Which has been confirmed in his old age now, always comes across as a top guy in his media work. I'm delighted he was injured and never ended up having that silly comeback.

There was a Ringside episode, also the better part of 10 years ago when Eubank opens up about how Collins got into his head, thought it was really interesting, claims he lost the fights outside of the ring. The hypnotist stuff was the start and some of his other press conference stuff got him doubting himself. Something about Collins saying that he fights for the Irish people and despite Eubank representing England, it's not really 'his people' he's fighting for. Eubank said not knowing about his ancestors and where he's from exactly started playing on his mind and his mind was on everything but the fight.

Quote:
I'm a huge fan of James Toney.

Donald McRae's the Darktrade features Toney quite heavily.

It's well worth a read if you haven't already.
His defensive skills, particularly in his prime were fantastic. Might have had the best shoulder roll in the sport.

I'm not much of a reader and never get around to your boxing book recommendations but would love to see a list of your favourites so I can try getting around to some of them.
Old 12-05-20, 07:50 AM   #8756
rodo
Shankly

Old 12-05-20, 12:43 PM   #8757
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Fucking hell that's scarily impressive.

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-20, 01:04 PM   #8758
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Fucking hell that's scarily impressive.

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk
Honestly it's not

You, i or anyone else could look like Sugar Ray Robinson working out like that.

I really hope he doesn't make a comeback of any sorts.
Old 12-05-20, 03:47 PM   #8759
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Honestly it's not

You, i or anyone else could look like Sugar Ray Robinson working out like that.

I really hope he doesn't make a comeback of any sorts.
You're definitely being generous to me here

I suspect I'd look like the boxing equivalent of when you see someone's arms thrashing around in the pool without them actually moving forward.
Old 12-05-20, 03:52 PM   #8760
Zapater
Dalglish

I haven't watched any of the footage, but I can't believe how much hype this is getting. The guy was a world champion, obviously he's pretty decent at boxing. I'm sure Maradona is still pretty good at whacking in free kicks and could put a compilation of him completing skills and set pieces in training... because he was a top footballer. Doesn't mean that Barcelona should be rushing to re-sign him as a 60 year old.

est1892 > General > General Sports