It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 12-10-20, 10:38 PM   #4481
Cormack74
Shankly

Presumably the first 5 picks will be FR plus the 4 lads at Exeter Caledonian.

If the latter win the HC and / or the Premiership then they'll be absolutely buzzing Buzzo

And I can't see FR's confidence being dented even if R92 do lose the HC final. He doesn't seem the sort TBH.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-20, 11:15 AM   #4482
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Presumably the first 5 picks will be FR plus the 4 lads at Exeter Caledonian.

If the latter win the HC and / or the Premiership then they'll be absolutely buzzing Buzzo

And I can't see FR's confidence being dented even if R92 do lose the HC final. He doesn't seem the sort TBH.
Actually, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne didn't get picked. Which seems amazing really.

Yeah, I agree, I don't think much stops Finn Russell mentally, he is about as laid back as they come!
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-20, 08:57 PM   #4483
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Actually, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne didn't get picked. Which seems amazing really.

Yeah, I agree, I don't think much stops Finn Russell mentally, he is about as laid back as they come!

Well I can't say I've seen much of the others recently but SHC has been very solid for Caledonian. I've barely noticed a false pass or kick.

Maybe they think he's been spoilt playing behind such a good set of forwards and they want to pick a Scrum Half who's used to having it tougher
Old 13-10-20, 10:30 PM   #4484
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Well I can't say I've seen much of the others recently but SHC has been very solid for Caledonian. I've barely noticed a false pass or kick.

Maybe they think he's been spoilt playing behind such a good set of forwards and they want to pick a Scrum Half who's used to having it tougher
I think something must have happened with him and the SRU when he left Edinburgh. His face hasn’t seemed to fit since. No question he should be in the squad.

I appreciate you talking Scottish Rugby with me Cormack

I must admit having watched the ‘Caledonians’ a lot recently I’m really impressed with Sam Simmonds, he must be deserving of an England cap soon? Worth Jones looking at something other than Ford-Farrell.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-20, 10:17 PM   #4485
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
I think something must have happened with him and the SRU when he left Edinburgh. His face hasn’t seemed to fit since. No question he should be in the squad.

I appreciate you talking Scottish Rugby with me Cormack

I must admit having watched the ‘Caledonians’ a lot recently I’m really impressed with Sam Simmonds, he must be deserving of an England cap soon? Worth Jones looking at something other than Ford-Farrell.

Well I don't often manage to catch up with the Pro league these days although most of the main protagonists are still familiar. But it's really helpful that there are a good number plying their trade in the premiership especially when there are 4 at one club

Maybe with SHC they are still taking stock of the fact that he's flitted around for a couple of years and want to see a settled period or maybe there are some politics involved as you say.

But if he carries on the way he's started at Exeter and isn't in the mix for the 2021 6N (if it happens) then something is amiss.

On Simmonds the younger who I'm guessing you're referring to () I agree he looks a really solid player with an almost exemplary kicking record. He definitely looks like he's worth a shot for England but you never quite know with Eddie Jones.

Top quality players like Alex Goode and Danny Cipriani have been rejected and really odd picks like George Furbank have been capped.

JS doesn't kick goals from quite as far out as the others and he doesn't take the ball to the line as often if Eddie is looking to nitpick. And Joe's brother has struggled to get caps because Eddie doesn't think he's big enough - weird when Rob Baxter does

Anyway I hope he gets a chance because he's obviously got some talent and seems like a decent young bloke.
Old 15-10-20, 09:19 PM   #4486
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:

On Simmonds the younger who I'm guessing you're referring to () I agree he looks a really solid player with an almost exemplary kicking record. He definitely looks like he's worth a shot for England but you never quite know with Eddie Jones.
Ha - and lo and behold, Eddie picks an England squad without Ben Spencer even though he's far and away the best 9 in the country.

Just weird.
Old 17-10-20, 05:00 PM   #4487
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Chaotic start but Exeter all over Racing.

Finn Russell a lucky boy after 10 mins.
Old 17-10-20, 05:07 PM   #4488
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Exeter forwards just blowing Racing away.

14-0
Old 17-10-20, 05:11 PM   #4489
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

1 back for Racing. Fantastic start to the match.

14-5
Old 17-10-20, 05:24 PM   #4490
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

What. A. Match.

14-12.

Tour de force from Russell. Running the game now.
Old 17-10-20, 05:33 PM   #4491
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

HT

21-12

Russell forcing it a bit maybe gives Exeter field position.
Old 17-10-20, 05:53 PM   #4492
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Zebo again.

21-17
Old 17-10-20, 05:56 PM   #4493
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Russell big mistake. Crazy pass. Might have thrown the game away.

28-17
Old 17-10-20, 06:00 PM   #4494
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

End to end.

28-24
Old 17-10-20, 06:15 PM   #4495
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

We are seeing everything from Finn here. He doesn’t hide.

28-27
Old 17-10-20, 06:25 PM   #4496
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

What an incredible game.

Nobody deserves to lose this.
Old 17-10-20, 06:26 PM   #4497
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Exeter down to 14 for the rest of the game.
Old 17-10-20, 06:35 PM   #4498
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Incredible defence from the Chiefs looks to have won them the game.
Old 17-10-20, 06:41 PM   #4499
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Chiefs win.

One of the best games of Rugby I’ve ever seen.
Old 17-10-20, 07:31 PM   #4500
RichC
Meh

Brilliant game wasn’t it. But farcical with the clock at the end though
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-20, 08:28 PM   #4501
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Brilliant game wasn’t it. But farcical with the clock at the end though
Yeah. What was he doing??? “Roll the clock back 5 seconds”. I’m all for being fair etc but he pretty much ruined the final whistle. Totally unnecessary.

Incredible game though.

That turnover at the end pretty much won the game, as Racing were close to forcing their way over.
Old 17-10-20, 08:39 PM   #4502
Cormack74
Shankly

Caledonian Chiefs never at their best apart from the first 15 mins - fair play to Racing - but just did enough.

For Russell a game to forget probably whereas SHC's tackle 3m from his own line followed by that turnover on the line 5 seconds later probably won CC the match.
Old 17-10-20, 08:43 PM   #4503
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Russell was guilty of forcing it when he just needed to show control. Even then they nearly did it. He was sublime at times, ridiculous at others.

Was great to see the Chiefs scrambling and scrapping. Massive ten mins from SHC making his non inclusion for Scotland increasingly strange.

I wonder if they can go again next week? Both teams looked spent today.
Old 18-10-20, 01:54 AM   #4504
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 18-10-20, 12:36 PM   #4505
Zapater
Dalglish

Love his turn of phrase

Quote:
All Blacks vs Australia: 'Michael Hooper grabbed my nuts': Caleb Clarke

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...s-caleb-clarke

It turns out the Wallabies had had enough of Caleb Clarke’s rampaging runs, that they tried something more unorthodox to try and unsettle the youngster during Sunday’s Bledisloe Cup match in Auckland.

Fresh off his stunning performance in what was his first test start, which helped the All Blacks to a 27-7 victory at Eden Park, Clarke laughed off a below-the-belt grapple from Aussie captain Michael Hooper during one of his many fabulous charges.

Speaking soon after fulltime on Sky Sport, Clarke was talking through his sensational carry which set up Ardie Savea’s second-half try, when he pointed out that he actually had a bit more to deal with than originally met the eye.

“You know what, Michael Hooper grabbed my nuts just then,” Clarke disclosed, with replays clearly backing up his assertion.

“I was really sore. I was trying to push his hand off.

“But Pete [Gallagher], our physio, said, ‘just get him back’.

“So I tried to do it.”

After impressing in his late cameo on debut in the 16-16 series opener in Wellington last weekend, Clarke was handed a first start for this one, on the left wing, having enjoyed a standout year for the Blues.

The 21-year-old was power aplenty with ball in hand, bringing a huge physical presence which so often blew men in gold jerseys away, and set New Zealand on the front foot.

“I was just real happy with the performance overall,” he told Sky Sport afterwards.

At one point during the match, a huge roar went up from the crowd when Clarke’s father Eroni – who played 10 tests for the All Blacks from 1992-1998 – was shown on the big screen.

And despite his splendid performance, Clarke junior had no doubt his old man would not be allowing him to dine out on his display, sure he’d be ready and waiting to once again go through his game with a fine-tooth comb.

“I could get home at 12 o’clock in the morning and he’d probably make me sit down with him and watch it,” he said.

Clarke said he was overjoyed to have his family in the stands at Eden Park on his special day, which came less than four months after he played in a Super Rugby Aotearoa match on the same ground on the day his grandfather died.

“After everything my Nana’s gone through this year, it’s just real cool seeing her here today,” he said. We’re blessed that she’s here.”
Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-20, 02:03 PM   #4506
Rigadon
Shankly

Wales new rugby kit

Old 19-10-20, 08:04 PM   #4507
Cormack74
Shankly

Fair play, they altered the order of the green and white on the sleeves so as to make it not remotely similar
Old 22-10-20, 04:43 PM   #4508
Zapater
Dalglish

Buzzo, see Oli Kebble and van der Merwe are making their debuts tomorrow. Unrelated, but Kebble is from a very prominent family with his uncle being elaborately murdered.
Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-20, 05:04 PM   #4509
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Buzzo, see Oli Kebble and van der Merwe are making their debuts tomorrow. Unrelated, but Kebble is from a very prominent family with his uncle being elaborately murdered.
I did see that. It's exciting Scotland wise, as, for the first time we have real depth to the squad. There is depth in every position.

Kebble adds some depth to a problem position for us, as recently as 2-3 years ago we were about 2 injuries away from some fairly untested players, now again we can display a bit of depth.

I had no idea about Kebbles back ground. That all sounds very suspicious.

I'm really looking forward to the game tomorrow. It is the first home international I will not have been to since 2016

I absolutely yearn for a trip to Murrayfield.
Old 24-10-20, 03:36 PM   #4510
Cormack74
Shankly

A few Covid related absences for Wasps today.

If Chiefs are anywhere near on it then they'll win regardless of who Wasps are putting out but in a final as we know, it doesn't always go to script.
Old 24-10-20, 10:54 PM   #4511
Cormack74
Shankly

Not a great game - rain was torrential but Chiefs had enough to win.

Slade got MotM but I thought that local lad, dyed in the wool Scotsman Skinner was excellent.

Somewhat incredibly I forgot the 6N was back and missed the 2 matches although I see it's Ireland's to lose Nev - which they may
Old 24-10-20, 11:35 PM   #4512
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Not a great game - rain was torrential but Chiefs had enough to win.

Slade got MotM but I thought that local lad, dyed in the wool Scotsman Skinner was excellent.

Somewhat incredibly I forgot the 6N was back and missed the 2 matches although I see it's Ireland's to lose Nev - which they may
I had to miss the Exeter game as I have watched Rugby last night. I saw about 5 mins and conditions looked brutal.

Skinner (with his Scottish Dad) will have some sort of DNA association to playing in those conditions. It is testament to the strength of Exeter that when Jonny Gray misses out it is a player of Skinners quality that comes in.

Only the Ireland game was 6Ns, the Wales France game was a 'friendly'.

II watched Scotland play pretty well v Georgia last night, with a lot of Front line players missing. We played ok, but when Finn came on and played 12 we just blew them away, the difference he makes and the speed of ball he delivers is next level and that is with Hastings having a very average night. Big Duhan scored a debut try, and looks a natural replacement for Maitland in time. Duhan - Hogg - Darcy Graham looks a potent back three.

I see Englands game was cancelled v the Baba's because they broke out of their bubble and went on the piss I think it was Robshaw and Maitland. Means England go in cold next week. Though it is only Italy.
Old 25-10-20, 10:32 AM   #4513
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
I had to miss the Exeter game as I have watched Rugby last night. I saw about 5 mins and conditions looked brutal.

Skinner (with his Scottish Dad) will have some sort of DNA association to playing in those conditions. Reckon that might have been it

Only the Ireland game was 6Ns, the Wales France game was a 'friendly'. Ah that's why (Ireland aside) the table seemed to be unchanged. I was a bit confused but I also had a few watching Chiefs / Wasps so assumed cognitive thought was diminished

I see Englands game was cancelled v the Baba's because they broke out of their bubble and went on the piss I think it was Robshaw and Maitland. Means England go in cold next week. Though it is only Italy Ridiculous. And more ridiculous that it was Robshaw who always seemed to be the ultimate (albeit slightly dim) goodie goodie.
Old 27-10-20, 11:11 PM   #4514
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Mad skills.

Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM   #4515
Cormack74
Shankly

Interesting format for the new season's HC - I wasn't aware that this is how it will be played at 'group' stage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54724496

Holders Exeter will begin their Champions Cup defence with challenging group-stage matches against Toulouse and Glasgow when next season's new-look competition begins in December.

Chiefs won the tournament for the first time earlier in October and will play those two sides home and away.

The new format - enforced by the pandemic and only for the 2020-21 season - features two pools of 12.

The four highest-ranked clubs in each pool will reach the quarter-finals.

The quarter-finals will be played over two legs and the clubs ranked fifth to eighth in each pool will drop into the knockout stage of the European Challenge Cup.

The opening round of games will take place 11-13 December.

Alongside Premiership winners Exeter in Pool B, Pro14 finalists Ulster face Gloucester and four-time winners Toulouse in their group games.

In Pool A, Pro14 champions Leinster will play Montpellier and Northampton, while Harlequins and Connacht have been drawn against last season's runners-up Racing 92.

Premiership runners-up Wasps play Dragons and Montpellier, while Munster face Quins and Clermont.

Clubs only play opponents in the same pool but cannot play other teams from the same domestic league.

est1892 > General > General Sports