It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 23-02-20, 12:40 AM   #641
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
You're not wrong:

Stockley Park is a business estate in the parish of Harlington, located between Hayes and West Drayton in the London Borough of Hillingdon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockley_Park
I played golf there about 25 years ago, it was called Stockley Park Arena back then. What was the arena?
Old 23-02-20, 08:56 AM   #642
Exiled_red
Paisley

In the Leicester - Man City game were the De Bruyne handball and Ederson punch even checked by VAR?
Old 23-02-20, 10:05 AM   #643
rodo
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
In the Leicester - Man City game were the De Bruyne handball and Ederson punch even checked by VAR?
didnt seem to be which was a bit strange
Old 23-02-20, 05:32 PM   #644
ChesterDave
Paisley

I think after this weekend of Rugby we can stop using it as a yardstick for VAR being good haha
Old 23-02-20, 05:33 PM   #645
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

You still get mistakes but the process is solid.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-20, 09:41 PM   #646
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
I played golf there about 25 years ago, it was called Stockley Park Arena back then. What was the arena?

Just a name by the look of it . . . The GC gets a mention:

https://completelyretail.co.uk/schem...-Park-Uxbridge
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-20, 05:08 PM   #647
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
FIFA chief of global development Arsene Wenger has a plan to change the rule which would mean if any part of the attacking players body that he can score with is onside then the player would be considered onside, essentially the opposite from the current rule.

As per The Times, FIFA will bring the new rule to the International FA Board, who decide the rules, at a meeting on February 29th and it could be passed into law by June 1st.

Speaking about offsides and VAR the Frenchman said, "The most difficult [issue] that people have [with VAR] is the offside rule. You have had offsides by a fraction of a centimetre, literally by a nose. It is the time to do this quickly.

"There is room to change the rule and not say that a part of a player's nose is offside, so you are offside because you can score with that. Instead, you will be not offside if any part of the body that can score a goal is in line with the last defender, even if other parts of the attacker's body are in front.

"That will sort it out and you will no longer have decisions about millimetres and a fraction of the attacker being in front of the defensive line."

However the new rule is already receiving criticism that it goes too far the other way and will give attackers a much bigger advantage.

If the rule was brought in with no trial period needed just 12 days before the Euros it could completely change the tournament, being played throughout Europe, and leave teams with little time to prepare how to defend differently.

The Premier League want to change how VAR works with offside by increasing the thickness of the line that is used in the system to prove whether a player is in an offside position or not.

That would allow for more leeway whilst keeping the rule the same, and that proposal will also go to the IFAB meeting in Belfast.

The last time IFAB changed the offside rule dramatically was in 1990 when it was changed to allow attackers to be level with the last defender, when previously they had to be behind.
Old 24-02-20, 05:38 PM   #648
spud_gun
Paisley

IMO the introduction of any gray areas here is madness. Your either offside or you're not.

The issue I have is with the human interpretation of who's offside and who's not.

A Hawkeye style system should be introduced to determine if a player is offside. Take the judgement out of officials hands.
Old 24-02-20, 06:08 PM   #649
dom9
Ant Pisser

Yep, that proposal does nothing to fix any of the problems inherent in how offside is currently judged.

It's also been said that it might force teams to become more defensive again.

Despite the car crash of VAR, you could argue that we're in a golden age of football. So many teams are trying to play "the right way", with varying levels of success of course. But football is generally more attractive to watch right now as I can ever remember it being *.

* Unless you're watching a Mourinho team.
Old 24-02-20, 06:10 PM   #650
baitman
Daddy day care

Its only a change of where the micro margin is, so no big deal.

Maybe would allow for more goals so possibly better???

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-20, 06:54 PM   #651
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Agree they don’t seem to appreciate that so long as there is a line there is an issue. Though this way allows for more goals so could be better.

The PL’s idea of making the line thicker amused me. They should also consider requesting a lower resolution image to work from.
Old 24-02-20, 07:05 PM   #652
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Agree they donít seem to appreciate that so long as there is a line there is an issue. Though this way allows for more goals so could be better.

The PLís idea of making the line thicker amused me. They should also consider requesting a lower resolution image to work from.
If defences defend even deeper, then it might actually result in fewer goals.

No one knows.
Old 24-02-20, 07:06 PM   #653
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
If defences defend even deeper, then it might actually result in fewer goals.

No one knows.
Fair point.
Old 24-02-20, 07:08 PM   #654
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Agree they donít seem to appreciate that so long as there is a line there is an issue. Though this way allows for more goals so could be better.

The PLís idea of making the line thicker amused me. They should also consider requesting a lower resolution image to work from.
I get that this 'Wenger proposal' gives more of an advantage to the attacker than the current rule, but it doesn't make the interpretation any easier, it is still two lines and the same analysis, it just the lines are in slightly different places, I don't get how so many people miss this
Old 24-02-20, 07:41 PM   #655
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
I get that this 'Wenger proposal' gives more of an advantage to the attacker than the current rule, but it doesn't make the interpretation any easier, it is still two lines and the same analysis, it just the lines are in slightly different places, I don't get how so many people miss this
it just changes where the argument occurs. Doesn't fix the problem
Old 24-02-20, 09:36 PM   #656
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Arsene Wenger has a plan to change the rule which would mean if any part of the attacking players body that he can score with is onside then the player would be considered onside, essentially the opposite from the current rule.
That's bonkers - Peter Crouch probably had a stride pattern of a yard and a half so he could be miles in front of the last defender with his leading leg but still 'onside' with his trailing leg
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-20, 05:08 AM   #657
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I hope they actually play a few matches with coaches iterating on tactics to counter and take advantage of this rule - evolution sped up.

I reckon you'll see silly freekicks with attackers dabbing their foot onside before sprinting off and defenders running away from goal to catch them offside (or simply lying really deep). Football will resemble NFL before long.
Old 07-03-20, 08:16 PM   #658
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

VAR says no red
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 09:05 PM   #659
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

He's a wee cunt that Messi. Hope someone breaks his leg soon
Old 08-03-20, 01:25 AM   #660
Harv
Randy Marsh

I hate Messi, he's a prick of the highest order - but thats not a red. He's got nowhere else to put his foot.
He's running full pelt and stretching to keep the ball in, you cant just suddenly change your body mechanics because a defender has decided to slide in and wrap his legs around. This is all happening in a split second.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 09:26 AM   #661
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Yeah he's a horrible little prick but don't think he meant that, should be given as a foul though. But yes he most certainly gets special treatment.
Old 08-03-20, 09:54 AM   #662
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
I hate Messi, he's a prick of the highest order - but thats not a red. He's got nowhere else to put his foot.
He's running full pelt and stretching to keep the ball in, you cant just suddenly change your body mechanics because a defender has decided to slide in and wrap his legs around. This is all happening in a split second.
Be interesting to see the next 10 seconds to see how he reacted afterwards
Old 14-04-20, 12:00 PM   #663
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Remember worrying about VAR?

Some changes afoot to the rules ‘next season’.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-rule-21850898
Old 14-04-20, 12:59 PM   #664
ChesterDave
Paisley

I dream of the day they decide that 'shielding' the ball is no longer to be permitted. Make players actually play the ball instead of wilfully impeding the opponent
Old 27-07-20, 07:48 AM   #665
Exiled_red
Paisley

So the first season with VAR is finished what are people's views of it?

For me I like the idea of it but I still think that the implemeof it has been bad. I can understand why the rules have been made the way that they have but they are making the game messy.

The need for 'clear and obvious' error means that almost nothing has changed, it just highlights the referee's 'biases' in awarding penalties. The only way that a penalty decision is overturned is if there is no contact, so as long as the attacker drags his leg the decision stands. Something needs to be done about this. Personally I think the referee should be encouraged to review decisions on the monitor and he can decide whether or not it should be a pen (without the clear and obvious guidance).

The offsides, I find this a particularly challenging one, I feel that the offside rule is not compatible with VAR. Offside seems to be exempt from the clear and obvious criteria used everywhere else in VAR. To be honest I don't have a problem so much with it's use here if it has the necessary accuracy and precision required to get these mm calls right, and to be honest I am not sure that it does.

Clearly it has some uses where it works really well such as deciding whether a foul was inside or outside the area.
Old 27-07-20, 08:49 AM   #666
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

It's been a shit show.

The most obvious thing about VAR is that someone looking at replays has a much clearer view of what happened. Having a system where that person, whoever it is, doesn't have complete authority to make a decision is having a broken system.

Offsides I'm comfortable with. There was controversy as people got used to it, but it's fine imo. Even at the margins where system inaccuracy becomes an issue, it's probably still more accurate than a human in real time.

Away from VAR, the rule about accidental handballs ruling out goals needs to go, there is zero benefit to it and explicitly punishing trivial accidents is illogical and unfair.
Old 27-07-20, 08:56 AM   #667
Irishnev
Shankly

Clear and Obvious needs to fuck off....... VAR needs to correct mistakes made by the ref on the pitch regardless of causing any ‘embarrassment’ for them
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 09:51 AM   #668
S-RED
Dalglish

They shouldn't have refs in the VAR room, it needs to be ex-players or a new team of people who can interpret the rules, without having any history or allegiance to the on field ref.

The clear & obvious thing is a total cop out & it 'unfortunately' is helping a few big teams (not us obviously, as Salah will never get another penalty again, unless he is snapped in half).

there have been big winners, but also big losers with controversial VAR decisions, i think we have been stitched up a bit, but certainly villa & Bournemouth have suffered worse; with Burnley & palace also copping a few shite decisions
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 11:29 AM   #669
cannotmakeit
Fagan

Refs have to be going to the monitors themselves and relook at incidents.
cannotmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 12:06 PM   #670
Alex
Administrator

That will be happening in the league from next season. More on field decisions with the ref looking at it.
Old 27-07-20, 12:29 PM   #671
Scratch
If you fail once....

Every ground to have a big screen, ref to view the big screen without leaving the pitch, along with all the supporters at the ground, and players too....then make your decision ref, there'll be no cop-outs then, cos we can all see it! It'll never happen, but it should.
Old 27-07-20, 01:18 PM   #672
S-RED
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Every ground to have a big screen, ref to view the big screen without leaving the pitch, along with all the supporters at the ground, and players too....then make your decision ref, there'll be no cop-outs then, cos we can all see it! It'll never happen, but it should.
can you imagine that, would be amazing if they did that. Or have the managers & ref review each VAR decision.... can you imagine the carnage on the touchline
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 01:36 PM   #673
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Can't they strap a movie device to their arm, like runners do?
Old 27-07-20, 02:23 PM   #674
Fivex
The Wisp

Sorry but lmao - a 'movie device'?

Old 27-07-20, 02:25 PM   #675
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Was supposed to be mobile, I must have misspelt it so badly for that autocorrect.
Old 27-07-20, 02:26 PM   #676
Fivex
The Wisp

OK boomer
Old 27-07-20, 05:01 PM   #677
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post
They shouldn't have refs in the VAR room, it needs to be ex-players or a new team of people who can interpret the rules, without having any history or allegiance to the on field ref.

The clear & obvious thing is a total cop out & it 'unfortunately' is helping a few big teams (not us obviously, as Salah will never get another penalty again, unless he is snapped in half).

there have been big winners, but also big losers with controversial VAR decisions, i think we have been stitched up a bit, but certainly villa & Bournemouth have suffered worse; with Burnley & palace also copping a few shite decisions
To be fair the VAR officials are doing a good job within the rules. The problem is the 'clear and obvious' rule makes it almost impossible to overturn a decision. If someone goes down in the box and the ref gives a penalty, the only way the decision is overturned is if there is no contact, because any contact however minimal means the decision is not 'clearly' wrong, even if no-one on earth would give a penalty. It's a nonsense.
Old 17-10-20, 03:00 PM   #678
Pepe79
Dalglish

If you could switch off VAR for the rest of the season, would you?

I know this might look reactionary, but I made my mind up on VAR in 2017/18 and I don’t think it’s gotten any better since. I know there’s examples of when it’s corrected decisions too, but overall, I don’t think it’s improved anything. Probably the opposite.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-20, 03:05 PM   #679
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
If you could switch off VAR for the rest of the season, would you?

I know this might look reactionary, but I made my mind up on VAR in 2017/18 and I donít think itís gotten any better since. I know thereís examples of when itís corrected decisions too, but overall, I donít think itís improved anything. Probably the opposite.
VAR should be a bunch of people watching then game in real time from multiple camera angles and flagging if something significant was missed.

Otherwise switch the fucking thing off.
Old 17-10-20, 03:50 PM   #680
ChesterDave
Paisley

I agree multiple people and they should all be in separate locations so they can't influence each other.

est1892 > Football > General Football