It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 03-11-19, 12:40 AM   #321
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Your mobile phone can identify faces in a photo, I'm sure a real sized computer could work out an arm attached to a torso
Old 03-11-19, 12:42 AM   #322
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Can you imagine the fury had we failed to win today because of these decisions
Old 03-11-19, 12:51 AM   #323
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Your mobile phone can identify faces in a photo, I'm sure a real sized computer could work out an arm attached to a torso
As I say it comes down to the training set that you give it, you would need a person to give it the data and tell it whether it was onside or offside in order to train it. Based on VAR decisions we aren't able to find someone who can do that

Once you train it it will be able to make consistent decisions, but if you give it in accurate data to start with it will make wrong decisions consistently
Old 03-11-19, 01:31 AM   #324
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Is that the official Specsavers account? They're on to something here and should offer up their services
They'd be the ideal impartial people to oversea VAR.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 07:29 AM   #325
peterbread
Evans

I’ve said it before that it doesn’t get any better. Its the 3rd year in the A league and it’s still shit. As I’m writing this they just had a shocker. A handball in the box given, replays show it’s off the chest first so not a penalty. Everyone is ready for it to be changed, the commentators saying it’s clear and obvious, yet the VAR ref backs his mate and says you’re all good it’s a penalty.

We didn’t even have the lines for offsides until this year so it was all on a guy looking at the screen from angles you can’t really tell for offsides. It’s all ridiculous.

Last edited by peterbread; 03-11-19 at 08:08 AM.
peterbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 09:26 AM   #326
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbread View Post
Iíve said it before that it doesnít get any better. Its the 3rd year in the A league and itís still shit. As Iím writing this they just had a shocker. A handball in the box given, replays show itís off the chest first so not a penalty. Everyone is ready for it to be changed, the commentators saying itís clear and obvious, yet the VAR ref backs his mate and says youíre all good itís a penalty.

We didnít even have the lines for offsides until this year so it was all on a guy looking at the screen from angles you canít really tell for offsides. Itís all ridiculous.
Yeah there's been some absolute howlers and ive barely watched any games. Cant handle the abysmal defending and lack of finishing skills. Beggars belief how some of these blokes are paid to pay football. I could put in a better cross than half the league i reckon. They don't even look where they're crossing most of the time, just panic hit the ball across goal.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 09:29 AM   #327
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Quote:
Is that the official Specsavers account? They're on to something here and should offer up their services

Fucking funny all the same.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 11:23 AM   #328
Harv
Randy Marsh

"Oh shit its onside...oh wait hang on, i'll just swap the lines around and skew it a bit and...offside, no goal, correct decision John ol buddy. Well done"

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 12:05 PM   #329
Exiled_red
Paisley

No one has explained the process to the fans (either at the ground or watching on TV) which is a problem. I appreciate that someone has to put the lines on, but if you are showing a couple of different lines that look very similar and saying one it right and one is wrong with very little difference between them and no explanation it makes things look dodgy whether they are or not.

Again it just shows the lack of thought about the process, when it was implemented.
Old 03-11-19, 12:33 PM   #330
Fivex
The Wisp

So on that score - whatís the actual tech doing here then, what was the huge song and dance about? The fact that weíve successfully tested a microphone system between field & var referees? And the fact that they have access to a couple of extra angles in a replay?

I was under the impression VAR used actual new technology to help get to an accurate decision. I donít understand how itís just a MS Paint job on the screen, giving a subjective Ďbest guessí based on having a bit more time to analyse it.
Old 03-11-19, 12:45 PM   #331
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Getting slated on GOS. “Someone needs to be outed.”
Old 03-11-19, 12:54 PM   #332
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboklopp View Post
Getting slated on GOS. ďSomeone needs to be outed.Ē
What's GOS?
Old 03-11-19, 01:03 PM   #333
Fivex
The Wisp

Game of Shame?
Old 03-11-19, 01:06 PM   #334
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
What's GOS?
Goals on Sunday? The poor mans MotD (Match of the Day)

Acronyms eh
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 01:13 PM   #335
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivex View Post
So on that score - whatís the actual tech doing here then, what was the huge song and dance about? The fact that weíve successfully tested a microphone system between field & var referees? And the fact that they have access to a couple of extra angles in a replay?

I was under the impression VAR used actual new technology to help get to an accurate decision. I donít understand how itís just a MS Paint job on the screen, giving a subjective Ďbest guessí based on having a bit more time to analyse it.
I don't think that the technology is that advanced, the big deal with VAR is that they are using some form of technology in the game.

If you think about the technology it's not that advanced, it's the ability to draw lines on a screen presumably at a point where a person (the official) clicks on the screen. It is something that they have been able to do on sky for years.
Old 03-11-19, 01:17 PM   #336
Fivex
The Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
I don't think that the technology is that advanced, the big deal with VAR is that they are using some form of technology in the game.

If you think about the technology it's not that advanced, it's the ability to draw lines on a screen presumably at a point where a person (the official) clicks on the screen. It is something that they have been able to do on sky for years.

Old 03-11-19, 01:22 PM   #337
spud_gun
Paisley

Prior to this season I actually thought it was 'the computer' that was deciding if a player was offside or not.
Old 03-11-19, 01:32 PM   #338
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Goals on Sunday? The poor mans MotD (Match of the Day)

Acronyms eh
Ah.
Old 03-11-19, 02:07 PM   #339
Liverpool
Paisley

with no var the linesmen didn't give it either so we would have got done anyway, rather have someone have a second look at it even though they still managed to come to the wrong conclusion just like the United goal.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 06:03 PM   #340
rodo
Shankly

Old 03-11-19, 06:15 PM   #341
McDermotX
Paisley

It needs as much exposure as possible (might even come in handy next week with some decision ), but the fact that we won will probably overshadow it and allow it to fade into non-news.
Which is exactly what the PL, the PGMOL and VAR in general would like to happen.

Hawk-Eye Innovations already had to apologize not to long ago for the Spurs-Watford malarkey, which was probably not their fault at all IMO, but what we have here is an actual concerted effort to deny us a goal/protect the linesman - though more than likely the former in this case.

They'd just like it to quietly go away.
Old 03-11-19, 06:42 PM   #342
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

How can that not be a foul on Son

Mina touched him with 3 limbs
Old 03-11-19, 06:42 PM   #343
spud_gun
Paisley

Spurs should have had a penalty at Everton. VAR check denied it.

Fairly sure at this stage referees are simply closing ranks and agreeing with the match day official.

Farcical
Old 03-11-19, 06:43 PM   #344
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
How can that not be a foul on Son

Mina touched him with 3 limbs
Fucking ridiculous wasn't it.
Old 03-11-19, 06:43 PM   #345
rodo
Shankly

that`s a penalty
Old 03-11-19, 06:45 PM   #346
McDermotX
Paisley

Because it's an absolutely shocking dive by Son.

It's about as unnatural as the challenge by Mina.

Gives a way out for the officials and system when players continue to milk it.
Old 03-11-19, 06:49 PM   #347
McDermotX
Paisley

Case in point......Richarlison's only interest was turning and going down.

Contact equals fouls in players' minds.
Old 03-11-19, 07:02 PM   #348
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post
Because it's an absolutely shocking dive by Son.

It's about as unnatural as the challenge by Mina.

Gives a way out for the officials and system when players continue to milk it.
No way a pen.

Regarding VAR, from what I have seen this season, VAR is beneficial to the way we play with the high line. There have been offsides missed by linesmen and VAR would have chalked off the goals if they were scored. I also think we try and play football the right way so VAR will always help us more than it will hinder.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 07:42 PM   #349
ric.williams
Fagan

fuckin hell i know its everton but var has to give a handball there surely
ric.williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 08:15 PM   #350
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Thought about it long enough
Old 03-11-19, 08:19 PM   #351
ric.williams
Fagan

Quote:
Thought about it long enough
amazing to watch the ball hit his hand, which is above his head, from about four different angles to see no pen given
ric.williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 09:05 PM   #352
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric.williams View Post
amazing to watch the ball hit his hand, which is above his head, from about four different angles to see no pen given
It didn't deflect massively but his hand moved and virtually slapped his head
Old 03-11-19, 11:42 PM   #353
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

I don't understand why the referees don't go and look at the screen themselves when a decision is not clear cut, rather than dragging out the drama. The way this was used for the women's world cup in France should have been an example of how to implement VAR efficiently.
Old 04-11-19, 02:01 AM   #354
Mr Pink
Houllier

Does anyone else think itís an issue that the var refs are actual refs too? I feel like theyíre gonna be hesitant to overturn their colleagues decisions. A bit like how ya never see cops getting speeding tickets.

Think it would be a lot better if the ref went and looked at the video if the var tells him to. Lot less shame in saying actually you got it wrong at first, as opposed to someone else saying youíre incompetent.
Old 04-11-19, 02:43 AM   #355
EwarWoo
Paisley

There shouldn't be any shame in either, its a fast moving game with lots going on, you can't always be in the right spot or looking the right way.

Problem is there's always been a culture of bastard in the black which has created a mentality that if they admit to being wrong it will only make the pelters worse.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 02:49 AM   #356
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
Does anyone else think itís an issue that the var refs are actual refs too? I feel like theyíre gonna be hesitant to overturn their colleagues decisions. A bit like how ya never see cops getting speeding tickets.

Think it would be a lot better if the ref went and looked at the video if the var tells him to. Lot less shame in saying actually you got it wrong at first, as opposed to someone else saying youíre incompetent.
That's a really good point. They should be independent, maybe even foreign referees?
Old 04-11-19, 07:07 AM   #357
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:

absolutely
Old 04-11-19, 07:15 AM   #358
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:

Yeah, I said the other day they should consider outsourcing it to somewhere completely impartial. Not that I don't think our refs aren't.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 09:17 AM   #359
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
I don't understand why the referees don't go and look at the screen themselves when a decision is not clear cut, rather than dragging out the drama. The way this was used for the women's world cup in France should have been an example of how to implement VAR efficiently.
I can only assume that it was supposed to save time in that they thought the VAR official could relay a decision in the time it would take to run across to the tunnel. But given most decisions seem to take 2-3mins that argument falls apart rather quickly
Old 04-11-19, 09:20 AM   #360
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:

Yes I think they want to back one another up and overturn as few decisions as possible, because next week their roles will be reversed.

est1892 > Football > General Football