It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 18-04-21, 10:22 PM   #1041
Exiled_red
Paisley

I don't like the idea of it personally but I find the moral manoeuvrabilty of many rather hypocritical. Is it greedy on the clubs part? Almost certainly, but it is difficult to feel any sympathy for UEFA and FIFA who have been pushing the real fans out of football for years to bring in corporate brands and sponsors for CL and WC finals making it difficult for real fans to get tickets etc. All they are interested in is the profit, they started this massive commercialization of the sport and are now trying to avoid becoming victims of it. The clubs presumably see all the money being made by UEFA or FIFA as being done off the back of their brand, players fan base etc and feel that they aren't really getting their fair share and feel going it alone and cutting out UEFA or FIFA gets them the revenue that they believe they are due. Similarly Sky will ggo all out to condemn it now, but you can guarantee that they will be bidding for The TV rights.

The articles that I have read are suggesting the clubs want this essentially as a replacement for the CL, and games would be played midweek with domestic games being played weekends, but the Fa's along with UEFA and FIFA are saying they can't have both, again this feels like protecting their positions more than being the up holders of fairness etc, UEFA are fucked if this happens, similarly if the value of the PL deals will be much reduced if a super league takes place even if those clubs are allowed to remain in it, but if the kick them out they are even more fucked.

I hope that it's just a power play, the people who will suffer most are the fans and the other clubs in the league, so I hope it doesn't happen for those reasons.
Old 18-04-21, 10:25 PM   #1042
McDermotX
Paisley

Old 18-04-21, 10:26 PM   #1043
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I'll just lose interest if we simply play top clubs every week, it'll just turn into exhibition matches, and the transfer market will probably have to change into a draft style as there wouldn't be any financial incentive for players to move.

And if Liverpool FC go ahead then fuck them too.
Old 18-04-21, 10:34 PM   #1044
red g
Paisley

agreed it will just be like watching the Harlem Globetrotters everyweek, presume they can make there own rules too. pitch into quarters for offside? no offside, points for goals ......the mind boggles?

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-21, 10:47 PM   #1045
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

The thought of teams having eternal entry because they are 'founders' should be a none starter. Neville and Sky going overboard with talks of punishment for what was leaked news is both hypocritical given their employer and reactionary at best.

There are some good things proposed that really should be considered. 55% of revenue as a cap for spending is sensible.

The clubs are being greedy but lets not pretend the other side are any better. UEFA and FIFA are corrupt to their core and equally are ruled by money.

I hope it doesn't take off, but I would be all for some sort of reform. The CL's new proposal sounds awful and UEFA themselves are protecting teams with high co-efficient points so they can again fuck off with any moral high ground really.
Old 18-04-21, 10:53 PM   #1046
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie-9-Fowler View Post
The CL's new proposal sounds awful and UEFA themselves are protecting teams with high co-efficient points so they can again fuck off with any moral high ground really.
Think that is the crux of it, the bigger clubs don't want this new format (not sure I care for it myself either) and are trying to bully UEFA into new discussions.

To be honest, I like the old group format, but maybe change the quotas cos every group stage contains some cannon fodder...make those clubs enter at a qualification against 5/6th clubs from stronger leagues maybe??
Old 18-04-21, 10:57 PM   #1047
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Think that is the crux of it, the bigger clubs don't want this new format (not sure I care for it myself either) and are trying to bully UEFA into new discussions.

To be honest, I like the old group format, but maybe change the quotas cos every group stage contains some cannon fodder...make those clubs enter at a qualification against 5/6th clubs from stronger leagues maybe??
The structure proposed for this breakaway is 2 groups of 10 with top 4 progressing, I think something along those lines could be a good shake up. Maybe it could be broken into 4 groups of 10 instead of a clean breakaway?

This is both a money and power grab though, teams like Spurs are tagging along and being used as weight by the likes of ourselves and United.
Old 18-04-21, 11:58 PM   #1048
Corndog
Fagan

The idea sucks. The whole reason a tie like Liverpool vs Real Madrid or FC Bayern vs Barcelona is special is because it doesn't happen often.

Once they start playing regularly you will lose this element of it.

The idea of permanent members to any competition also sucks, it should be based on merit.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 12:01 AM   #1049
Corndog
Fagan

It won't necessarily make anything more interesting long term either. Who's to say a new subset of the super league clubs wouldn't become overly dominant to the point where it's boring.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Old 19-04-21, 12:07 AM   #1050
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
The idea sucks. The whole reason a tie like Liverpool vs Real Madrid or FC Bayern vs Barcelona is special is because it doesn't happen often.

Once they start playing regularly you will lose this element of it.

The idea of permanent members to any competition also sucks, it should be based on merit.
Yep, been a supporter for 43 years. Had enough of this extreme capitalism in the sport. No more, I'm done.
kemm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 12:15 AM   #1051
Corndog
Fagan

Also even more ridiculous that it comes at a time when travelling has never been more difficult. It's not a foregone conclusion that we will see the easy and cheap type of travel within Europe again in the near future. Terrible for fans.

Old 19-04-21, 05:41 AM   #1052
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
It won't necessarily make anything more interesting long term either. Who's to say a new subset of the super league clubs wouldn't become overly dominant to the point where it's boring.
Then we have super super league breakaway
Old 19-04-21, 06:32 AM   #1053
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

BBC News - European Super League: Premier League's 'big six' agree to join new league
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56795811

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 09:28 AM   #1054
Scratch
If you fail once....

So, will Season Tickets suddenly become available to those on the waiting list, do we think? Will people have courage in their convictions to give up something that they will then never be able to get back, knowing full well that there will always be someone else waiting to pick it up?
Old 19-04-21, 10:26 AM   #1055
Pepe79
Shankly

What a day for Spurs to fire Jose!
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 10:41 AM   #1056
RoadEnd
Dalglish

------

Last edited by RoadEnd; 19-04-21 at 10:53 AM.
RoadEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 10:52 AM   #1057
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

He is a busted flush now

YNWA
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 11:28 AM   #1058
Charly
Dalglish

I imagine Bayern and PSG have no leverage within their own leagues. They would be quite happy for another team to win for once. Interesting how they have been quiet.
Old 19-04-21, 11:56 AM   #1059
Angryred
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
I imagine Bayern and PSG have no leverage within their own leagues. They would be quite happy for another team to win for once. Interesting how they have been quiet.
Bayern majority shareholders are their fans so the board won't get a say in the direction they want to take.

PSG chairman is on the plush UEFA committee so a conflict of interest if he decides on the Super League, is the way to go.
Old 19-04-21, 01:30 PM   #1060
Gray
Dalglish

Twitter say Jurgen will quit.
Old 19-04-21, 01:31 PM   #1061
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
Again?

Do the dead love the flesh of man because it is like the tomato? We'll never know. But I have my suspicions.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 01:35 PM   #1062
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Let's just day he did, where would he go? He wouldn't able to join another "Super League" club. Aside from back to a German team I can't think where he'd end up. Bayern seems the most likely option?

If the rumours are true that he wasn't consulted I think that might be enough to make him quit, but surely he knew this was coming?

I feel sorry for him tonight as he's the first of the "Super League" managers that's going to get a grilling about it. No one will be interested in the game, every single question will be about this issue instead.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 01:37 PM   #1063
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Let's just day he did, where would he go? He wouldn't able to join another "Super League" club. Aside from back to a German team I can't think where he'd end up. Bayern seems the most likely option?

If the rumours are true that he wasn't consulted I think that might be enough to make him quit, but surely he knew this was coming?

I feel sorry for him tonight as he's the first of the "Super League" managers that's going to get a grilling about it. No one will be interested in the game, every single question will be about this issue instead.
The club doesn't make him available for interviews and pays whatever the fine is
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 02:18 PM   #1064
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Why would he, unless he planned to retire or take the Germany job, which he didn’t sound too keen on? If he does, it’s a convenient excuse.
Old 19-04-21, 02:39 PM   #1065
Angryred
Dalglish

I'm sure he has the inside track on all matters concerning LFC
Old 19-04-21, 02:47 PM   #1066
Gray
Dalglish

Well of course I don't. I can see him walking though. He's a righteous dude.
Old 19-04-21, 03:05 PM   #1067
Mr Pink
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Why would he, unless he planned to retire or take the Germany job, which he didnít sound too keen on? If he does, itís a convenient excuse.

Look at what he achieved at Mainz and Dortmund- itís teams like that, that suffer most from this.

Yes this is probably a good thing for him personally- he could probably make a lot more money... but heís a conscientious guy, and cares about the game. It wouldnít surprise me if he come out tonight, saying that he wonít manage in it...
Old 19-04-21, 03:11 PM   #1068
rudedog
Pig hater

Quote:
The guy in front of me in the queue at Sainsburyís earlier said heís definitely staying.
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 03:29 PM   #1069
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Why would he, unless he planned to retire or take the Germany job, which he didnít sound too keen on? If he does, itís a convenient excuse.
He's always said he'd take a year off after his time with us is over... maybe he'll see this as the time for that?

That said, I can't see any of this being sanctioned or going ahead... it very much feels like the clubs are trying to leverage their power to get better CL deals... but it stinks, the timing stinks and it's undoubtedly caused some irreparable damage to the clubs and their supporters, en masse.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 03:29 PM   #1070
topscorer
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
The guy in front of me in the queue at Sainsburyís earlier said heís definitely staying.

Hahaha
topscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 03:36 PM   #1071
Slinky Skills

Old 19-04-21, 03:39 PM   #1072
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post

Old 19-04-21, 03:44 PM   #1073
spud_gun
Paisley

Iain Holloway offers his thoughts on the ESL

'One of pure disgust, I have to say. I don’t know about you, but I spent time watching Prince Philip’s funeral on the weekend and for the first time in a long time I was really proud of being British. This morning, that’s just gone away. That man was so selfless in his life and I wanted us to come out of his pandemic caring about other people more than ourselves, but the opposite is happening. I am totally outraged and absolutely disgusted in how selfish some people can be. The game belongs to supporters, not them and I have never seen anything like it.'
Old 19-04-21, 03:44 PM   #1074
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
Pretty reactionary this from UEFA. Greedy fuckers being out foxed by even greedier fuckers at the moment.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 04:49 PM   #1075
Slinky Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Pretty reactionary this from UEFA. Greedy fuckers being out foxed by even greedier fuckers at the moment.

Old 19-04-21, 05:41 PM   #1076
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
He's almost certainly staying then
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 05:45 PM   #1077
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

What's the European governing body got to do with deciding whether players can play in a FIFA competition?
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 05:48 PM   #1078
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Iain Holloway offers his thoughts on the ESL

'One of pure disgust, I have to say. I donít know about you, but I spent time watching Prince Philipís funeral on the weekend and for the first time in a long time I was really proud of being British. This morning, thatís just gone away. That man was so selfless in his life and I wanted us to come out of his pandemic caring about other people more than ourselves, but the opposite is happening. I am totally outraged and absolutely disgusted in how selfish some people can be. The game belongs to supporters, not them and I have never seen anything like it.'
Read in my head in Ian's West Country accent of course
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 05:49 PM   #1079
McDermotX
Paisley

Quote:
Chelsea, Manchester City and Real Madrid will likely be banned from this season's Champions League semi-finals because of their involvement in the proposed European Super League, says a UEFA executive committee member.

UEFA executive committee member Jesper Moller said: "The clubs must go, and I expect that to happen on Friday."

Jesper Moller, head of the Danish FA, told broadcaster DR: "The clubs must go, and I expect that to happen on Friday. Then we have to find out how to finish (this season's) Champions League tournament."
Old 19-04-21, 05:54 PM   #1080
ChesterDave
Paisley

UEFA getting moralistic about it is the funniest most hypocritical bollocks in the history or humanity.
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC