It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 18-03-15, 12:52 PM   #1
Alex
Administrator

The Ashes

West Indies Test Squad announcement later today.

Quote:
England will name their first overseas Test touring party in 18 months at 11.45am on Wednesday, with Jonathan Trott tipped to return to the squad for the three-match series against West Indies that starts on 13 April.

Alastair Cook, who prepares for the tour with a four-day match for MCC against Yorkshire in Abu Dhabi starting on Sunday, will hope to be furnished with a full-strength side as he seeks to reassert his authority as captain after being unceremoniously removed from the one-day job before Christmas. England’s last Test trip to the Caribbean ended in a 1-0 defeat, a repeat of which would be disastrous for the team management.

To that end, the return of Trott – as opposed to another South African-born right-hander pushing for a recall recently – provides vital experience to a side low on confidence following their group stage exit from the World Cup. It it easy to forget, given the winter of 50-over misery, that their previous outing in white flannels was a 3-1 series victory over India last summer.

Trott has not been part of the senior side since leaving the 2013-14 Ashes in Australia – England’s last Test outing overseas – with a stress-related illness. His first comeback for Warwickshire at the start of last season was aborted after three games but the 33-year-old returned in June, scoring five hundreds in the second half of the summer before hitting an unbeaten double-century while captaining the Lions in South Africa in January.

The spin department provides the greatest concern for England, with Moeen Ali set to be taken to the Caribbean despite an abdominal strain ruling him out of the two-day warm-up matches in St Kitts, starting on 6 April. Cook and the head coach Peter Moores are banking on an intensive treatment programme ensuring Moeen is ready for the first Test in Antigua the following week, with James Tredwell poised to deputise despite losing his four-day berth at Kent to Adam Riley last summer.

England’s next Test debutant will sport the number of the beast – 666 – on his shirt, with the uncapped duo of the Durham fast bowler Mark Wood and the Yorkshire leg-spinning all-rounder Adil Rashid known to be in the selectors’ thoughts before Tuesday’s meeting. Wood’s inclusion will depend on whether Chris Woakes, with a five-week recuperation period, is risked following a stress reaction to his left foot. Liam Plunkett, another Lions tourist, could also get the call, having impressed on his return last summer with 19 wickets in four Tests before a season-ending ankle injury.

The opener Sam Robson, who scored a maiden Test century against Sri Lanka last May but struggled outside off stump in the win over India, will hope to have seen off competition from Yorkshire’s title-winning opening duo of Adam Lyth and Alex Lees. Trott, however, could challenge him for his place in the team.

Possible England squad Alastair Cook (capt), Sam Robson, Gary Ballance, Ian Bell, Joe Root, Jonathan Trott, Moeen Ali, Jos Buttler (wicketkeeper), Jonny Bairstow (wicketkeeper), James Tredwell, Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad, Chris Jordan, Liam Plunkett, Mark Wood/Chris Woakes, Adil Rashid
I really really hope that this Test Tour will take my mind away from the Limited Overs debacle. Get in a different set of players and then let them get some good feeling back to the squad.

Would be nice to see Trott back, but not at the cost of Ballance in the side. Seems strange to bring someone back into the Test fold at an away test series. Youd think he would be eased in against NZ at home or something before the Ashes in the summer.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 18-03-15, 12:54 PM   #2
Alex
Administrator

Literally as I pressed post the Squad popped up on my phone.

England Test squad:
Alastair Cook (Essex) captain

James Anderson (Lancashire)

Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)

Gary Ballance (Yorkshire)

Ian Bell (Warwickshire)

Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)

Jos Buttler (Lancashire)

Chris Jordan (Sussex)

Adam Lyth (Yorkshire)

Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire)

Joe Root (Yorkshire)

Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)

Ben Stokes (Durham)

James Tredwell (Kent)

Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)

Mark Wood (Durham)

England’s Tour Itinerary:
April 6-7 - 2-day warm-up, St Kitts

April 8-9 - 2-day warm-up, St Kitts

April 13-17 - 1st Test SVRS, Antigua

April 21-25 - 2nd Test Grenada National Stadium, Grenada

May 1-5 - 3rd Test Kensington Oval, Barbados
Old 18-03-15, 01:01 PM   #3
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Whose ever idea it was to tour the WI after the WC deserves a pay rise.

Has to be the easiest tour going (I am guessing touring Afghanistan is a no go!) the team need to quickly build confidence after the debacle of the last 6-8 months one day program.

The summer could be carnage.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-15, 01:12 PM   #4
Chazza
Des Lynam

Not much inspiring in that lot

Just checked on Lyth he is 27 and just went on the Lions tour scoring...

Bat & BowlTeamOppositionGroundMatch DateScorecard
11Eng Lionsv Sth Africa AKimberley28 Jan 2015LA
65, 37Eng Lionsv Sth Africa ABloemfontein18 Jan 2015FC
1/27, 7Eng Lionsv Sth Africa APaarl11 Jan 2015FC
106, 25Eng Lionsv Gauteng Invitation XISoweto5 Jan 2015Other

Quote:
Mark Wood does not fit the proptype of a modern England bowler. He is skinny, barely 6ft tall and does not gain excessive bounce. But a strong showing for Durham in 2013 was enough to win recognition on the England Lions tour to Sri Lanka. Sadly for him, it lasted only one match before he returned home with a side injury.
His figures from the lions tour

Bat & BowlTeamOppositionGroundMatch DateScorecard
2/41Eng Lionsv Sth Africa APretoria2 Feb 2015LA
0/1Eng Lionsv Sth Africa APotchefstroom31 Jan 2015LA
0, 2/62Eng Lionsv Sth Africa AKimberley28 Jan 2015LA
0/19Eng Lionsv Sth Africa ABloemfontein25 Jan 2015LA
5, 2/92, 44*Eng Lionsv Sth Africa ABloemfontein18 Jan 2015FC
2/99, 5, 0/22Eng Lionsv Sth Africa APaarl11 Jan 2015FC

Good to see Trott back
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-15, 01:15 PM   #5
Alex
Administrator

I for one am glad that Jonny Bairstow is back so we get to hear Michael Holding say his name some more.
Old 18-03-15, 01:36 PM   #6
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Bairstow isn't good enough.
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-15, 01:44 PM   #7
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Glad Trott's back. I imagine he'll open with Cook and Ballance at 3.

But that is so England. 3 plodders. We'll be 34-0 off the first 25 overs.
Old 18-03-15, 03:03 PM   #8
The Birdman
Dalglish

Just shite isn't it, even in Test cricket sides are being positive, we pack our batting with slow, safety first batters.

Not that long ago that Nick Compton was dropped for scoring too slowing as it placed too much pressure on Cook instead of letting him play his natural game (god forbid he'd actually evolve)

Now we're going to have Trott opening, Balance 3 and Root 5.

Bored, bored, bored.
We'll beat the WI but I hope NZ and the Aussie's stuff us at home, might get some meaningful change then.
Old 18-03-15, 03:06 PM   #9
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Glad Trott's back. I imagine he'll open with Cook and Ballance at 3.

But that is so England. 3 plodders. We'll be 34-0 off the first 25 overs.
Every side who has done well against Australia has batted this way. Nobody goes out swinging against the Australian bowling lineup and wins. Dig in and accumulate. Just look at the score cards of the sides that have had recent success against them.
Old 18-03-15, 03:11 PM   #10
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

This would be my team:

Cook
Lyth
Trott
Bell
Root
Stokes
Butler
Rashid
Jordan
Plunkett
Anderson

Balance is in horrible form, lets not ruin him and let him get some runs for his county before playing for England against NZ.
Old 18-03-15, 03:35 PM   #11
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
Every side who has done well against Australia has batted this way. Nobody goes out swinging against the Australian bowling lineup and wins. Dig in and accumulate. Just look at the score cards of the sides that have had recent success against them.
But I don't agree everything is about Australia. I know we're playing them in the summer - again, yawn - but we're playing the Windies and I can't go along with 3 plodders at the top of the order. As Birdman said, Compton was ditched (partly) because he scored too slowly. I love Trott and I like Ballance a lot but it's very samey and very slow.
Old 18-03-15, 03:36 PM   #12
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
But I don't agree everything is about Australia. I know we're playing them in the summer - again, yawn - but we're playing the Windies and I can't go along with 3 plodders at the top of the order. As Birdman said, Compton was ditched (partly) because he scored too slowly. I love Trott and I like Ballance a lot but it's very samey and very slow.
That's fair. I wouldn't pick Balance for this tour anyway, he's in horrible form.
Old 18-03-15, 03:38 PM   #13
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Will Cook ever get back to regularly scoring big runs? It's been so long now that I'd suggest if he can't do it against the Windies then he's broken beyond repair and England should move on.
Old 18-03-15, 03:38 PM   #14
Alex
Administrator

It needs someone who can score in that top 3/4. Probably in at 2 with Cook. Just keep the scoreboard going as Cook builds an innings. But as Shaggy says. Its potentially 3 people who dig in and plod on.

Its a shame we binned off Carberry. Thought he did ok in the Ashes down under considering it was early in his Test Career.
Old 18-03-15, 03:39 PM   #15
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
That's fair. I wouldn't pick Balance for this tour anyway, he's in horrible form.
One day though. He's done nothing wrong for England in Test cricket - he averages 61 from 8 Tests! Certainly doesn't deserve leaving out.
Old 18-03-15, 03:40 PM   #16
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Carberry is another plodder. If he can't hit it for four then it's a dot ball. He builds pressure when he's at the crease.
Old 18-03-15, 03:42 PM   #17
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
One day though. He's done nothing wrong for England in Test cricket - he averages 61 from 8 Tests! Certainly doesn't deserve leaving out.
I'm not sure how you accommodate Trott and Balance in the same side. It makes us very one dimensional. Personally I'd rather have trotty. Of course, Balance could move down the order, he bats at 5 for Yorkshire, doesn't he?
Old 18-03-15, 03:44 PM   #18
Alex
Administrator

Move someone like Root up? Maybe in at 3, then Bell and Ballance in at 5. Can fit them all in that way and it doesnt mess with too much. Its basically swapping Root for Ballance.
Old 18-03-15, 03:46 PM   #19
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Move someone like Root up? Maybe in at 3, then Bell and Ballance in at 5. Can fit them all in that way and it doesnt mess with too much. Its basically swapping Root for Ballance.
Root really struggled when he last had a go batting there. Dunno. I think our batting lineup is a bit of a mess, so many square pegs in round holes.
Old 18-03-15, 03:58 PM   #20
Chazza
Des Lynam

If the batting is a mess then the bowling is no better.

Same old seamers and no decent spinner.
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 18-03-15, 11:41 PM   #21
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Colin Graves pushes for Kevin Pietersen talks despite England denials
• Incoming ECB chairman ready to meet Pietersen over Test recall
• News comes as England insist that outcast is not in their plans
• Pietersen says he will do anything for return
• England captain Alastair Cook hits out at his one-day sacking

The incoming England and Wales Cricket board chairman, Colin Graves, has spoken directly to Kevin Pietersen and intends to meet him when the exiled batsman returns to the country after his commentary stint at the Cricket World Cup.

The Guardian understands the duo have already held at least one telephone conversation, with the 34-year-old Pietersen seeking assurances as to how genuine his chances of an England recall would be if he were to sign a deal to play county cricket for Surrey this summer.

That Pietersen and Surrey have been negotiating a return to The Oval already, in light of this news, suggests that stumbling blocks over whether it would be worth his while could be about to be removed.

Contrary to reports, however, the deal is yet to be signed off and, as it stands, may not go through until a scheduled meeting between Graves and Pietersen following the World Cup final on 29 March.

This latest revelation of open dialogue between the new man in charge of English cricket and the national team’s pariah came on a day when both the Test captain, Alastair Cook, and the national selector, James Whitaker, had insisted there was no way back for Pietersen.

“I think it’s very unlikely,” said Cook. “There’s been a hell of a lot of stuff happened with his book and all that kind of stuff. It’s a long way back from that.”

Speaking to the BBC, Whitaker added: “Kevin is not part of our plans and we have not discussed Kevin being in our team.” What it means for their future and that of the ECB managing director, Paul Downton, the man who oversaw Pietersen’s removal, remains to be seen.

Graves got the ball rolling on Pietersen’s return when, in a radio interview on 1 March, he hinted at a softening of the stance towards him and insisted a deal to play county cricket could bring about a recall, only for an ECB statement that night to insist “nothing had changed”.

But Pietersen, emboldened by the interview, sought a route out of his £205,000 deal to play in the Indian Premier League for Sunrisers Hyderabad. The franchise are comfortable with his release but the Board of Control for Cricket in India are yet to sign it off and could yet hold him to it.

“If I can do anything that can help me get back into it for England then it’s something I want to do. I love playing for England,” Pietersen told BBC’s Test Match Special, for whom he is a summariser during the knockout stages of the ongoing World Cup.

Cook, who has been furnished with a 16-man Test squad for next month’s tour of the Caribbean that includes the recalled Jonathan Trott and six Yorkshire players, went on to tell the Cricket Badger website that a lack of leadership, following the decision to remove him as 50-over captain, was a reason for England’s failed World Cup campaign.

“I think you saw in Australia the dangers of making such a big decision so close to the tournament,” he said. “I don’t know what’s gone on on that tour, and I can only speak from watching a little bit from afar, but it did look like the lads were shell-shocked from the first two games. That’s when you need real leadership to help steer you through that. Whether I would have made a difference, I don’t know. But I was fully confident we would get out of our group, and from there, you’ve got to win three games in a row - that’s how this World Cup has worked.”

Cook, who is preparing for the Caribbean tour with a four-day match for MCC against Yorkshire in Abu Dhabi, starting this Sunday, believes he must rebuild the confidence of the side, with the return of an experienced batsman such as Trott, after 16 months out of the squad due to a stress-related illness, a timely boost.

Cook’s own disappointment at missing out on the World Cup due to a personal battle for form has clearly not diminished during an enforced three-month break from cricket. “As any captain will tell you, leading your country in a World Cup is a huge honour and one that can never be taken lightly. I was very much looking forward to that,” he added. “I understand the pressure I was under. I wasn’t scoring the runs I should, or could, have been scoring, so I understand that my position was in jeopardy. I said at the end of [the ODI series in] Sri Lanka that if there was a change, I couldn’t complain because I hadn’t scored the runs.

“I can’t speak about what’s gone on there in depth, but you always back yourself, and I would have loved to have had the opportunity that was taken away from me. The selectors made that decision because they thought it was the best for English cricket. Hindsight has probably proved them wrong, but now it’s very easy to say that.

“We have a repairing job to do, and the only way of doing that is by playing some good cricket and to start winning. We built that momentum a little bit after the Ashes 14 or 15 months ago with a slightly younger side, including the likes of Gary Ballance and Joe Root. There was a good feelgood factor about the English game in the middle of August after the Test matches. Since then, it’s been tough going. We’ve got to rebuild again.”

The news that Graves, who replaces Giles Clarke as chairman in May, has been in open dialogue with Pietersen will only make that rebuilding more complicated.

England squad
AN Cook (capt), IJL Trott, A Lyth, GS Ballance, IR Bell, JE Root, JC Buttler (wkt), JM Bairstow (wkt), BA Stokes, AU Rashid, JC Tredwell, LE Plunkett, SCJ Broad, CJ Jordan, JM Anderson, MA Wood.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...P=share_btn_tw
Old 19-03-15, 12:36 AM   #22
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

What a shambles the ECB are.

As for Cooks claims that he shouldn't have been dropped
Old 19-03-15, 01:34 AM   #23
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazza View Post
If the batting is a mess then the bowling is no better.

Same old seamers and no decent spinner.
Broad's not fit and it's causing him to be a liability. I would have told him to go away and bowl in the nets and for his county and get his pace back up to the high 80's. At the moment it seems most of his deliveries just lollipop down at 84mph. That's hopeless. You have to be a pretty exceptional talent to be a front line bowler in international cricket and get away with that pace and he's not. He's effective when he's bowling around 87/88mph, certainly when he's been at his wicket taking best that's where he's been. He's not even contributing to the bat now he's scared of the ball. He got hurt and it's understandable that it shook his confidence, but he's got to get that back too if he's going to continue to be an automatic pick.

Jimmy's pace is down too, but I reckon that's due to his age and no amount of rest is going to bring that back. He is an exceptional bowler though and it's worth giving him the game time to prepare for the Ashes. If he's bowling with swing and accuracy with the new ball then he can be just as deadly bowling at 85mph as a Mitch Johnson bowling at 90+.

Go back around 3 or 4 years ago and we were talking up what a great production line of bowling talent we had waiting in the wings. As well as Jimmy and Broad there was Finn coming through, Tremlett, Bresnan, Meaker and loads more all supposedly knocking on the door. Now through injury or for no obvious reason at all they have all got very average and the cupboard looks bare. This tour represents a great opportunity for the likes of Stokes, Plunkett and Jordan to stake a claim in the bowling lineup. By jeebus we need them too because at the moment our bowling looks more of a shambles than our batting. Which is saying something.
Old 19-03-15, 01:40 AM   #24
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazza View Post
There is a massive power play going on in the ECB and KP is the pawn. Graves will win.
Old 19-03-15, 10:25 AM   #25
Alex
Administrator

KP being 34, he realistically has what 3 years tops in Test Cricket left and maybe 6 at the most in Limited overs.

Could see him doing it, but it seems like an almighty effort to get someone in for 2/3 years of Test sides.
Old 19-03-15, 10:34 AM   #26
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I honestly think England could do worse than have someone like Pietersen involved in the coaching set up. Bring him back in to help manage the team on the pitch, as a sort of vice captain for the next few years and then move him towards coaching.

I think he understands modern cricket (test and short format) better than any other player in the England set up. His main crimes seem to have been in telling the truth, and a lot if what he has said has gone on to be proved correct. Anything else, well there has been very little said to say that he was wrong.

It is a good point about there being a power play at the ECB, as there are 2 conflicting stories being put out. Colin Graves seems to think he is in a position where he will win.
Old 19-03-15, 10:36 AM   #27
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
I honestly think England could do worse than have someone like Pietersen involved in the coaching set up. Bring him back in to help manage the team on the pitch, as a sort of vice captain for the next few years and then move him towards coaching.

I think he understands modern cricket (test and short format) better than any other player in the England set up. His main crimes seem to have been in telling the truth, and a lot if what he has said has gone on to be proved correct. Anything else, well there has been very little said to say that he was wrong.

It is a good point about there being a power play at the ECB, as there are 2 conflicting stories being put out. Colin Graves seems to think he is in a position where he will win.

Good post and I completely agree with your stance on KP.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-15, 01:08 PM   #28
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Breaking news...

Quote:
Kevin Pietersen: Colin Graves has spoken to sacked player

Incoming England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Colin Graves has spoken to Kevin Pietersen about a return to the England side.
Pietersen wants a meeting when he returns from the World Cup following radio duties, BBC Sport has learned.
It comes a day after selector James Whitaker said the 34-year-old was "not part" of the team's plans.
Pietersen was sacked in February 2014 in the fallout of the 5-0 Ashes whitewash by Australia.
More to follow.
Old 19-03-15, 04:39 PM   #29
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

An incredulous Michael Vaughan

Quote:
"The more staggering thing is what Alastair Cook has said," continued Vaughan.
"England were number one in the world and they got to the Champions Trophy final but that was two years ago. This is a new era of one-day cricket. Cook's last ODI century was in June 2012 "The only series they have won in the last two years has been away from home in the Caribbean when Cook wasn't the captain."What that interview told me is that you become a very good player when you are out of the side."
Old 24-03-15, 11:24 AM   #30
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Kevin Pietersen's plans to return to county cricket with Surrey moved a significant step closer after he endorsed reports that he is about to agree a release from his Indian Premier League contract.

Pietersen, axed by England in February 2014 after their Ashes whitewash in Australia but hoping for a still unlikely international recall, retweeted an update in the Daily Telegraph announcing the Sunrisers Hyderabad are preparing imminently to release him from his IPL commitments with them over the next two months.

That will be a key development as the record-breaking 34-year-old batsman seeks a new deal with Surrey - who de-registered him at the end of last season.
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-...from-ipl-deal/
Old 24-03-15, 11:29 AM   #31
RichC
Meh

Interesting situation developing with the ECB, Graves it appears is trying to put his stamp on things by being seen to at least consider a recall for KP, certainly undermines Whitaker and his comments about not being part of the plans.

It'd be nice to see players being selected on ability and not on character and if they're liked or not and at the moment I think we need all the help we can get.
Old 24-03-15, 04:43 PM   #32
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Cook out for 3 and 5 against Yorkshire

Remember when he used to bat all day and make double hundreds all the time?! Mental.
Old 24-03-15, 04:50 PM   #33
RichC
Meh

I honestly think taking the captaincy off him would be a good thing at this point, he's a great batsman when in form but the fallout over the last year - 18 months must have had a negative effect on him. We need him to find his form with the bat first and foremost
Old 24-03-15, 07:42 PM   #34
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

He should have had the captaincy taken away so long ago it's unbelievable. It's been hindering him and the team so obviously for so long.
Old 24-03-15, 10:55 PM   #35
RichC
Meh

No pressure then.

Quote:
Colin Graves expects England to beat 'mediocre' West Indies
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/32037349
Old 25-03-15, 12:01 AM   #36
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Colin Graves is a no nonsense Yorkshireman. He even talks with a droopy Boycott style mouth. He going to sort this mess out just like he did when he took over Yorkshire in 2012. He'll bang heads together and get rid of anyone he thinks isn't good enough.

KP would not be playing county cricket unless he had been given assurances by Graves that he is available for selection should his form warrent it. Bye Bye Whitaker. Bye Bye Downton.

And if we don't beat the Windies it'll be bye bye Moores and Cook too.
Old 25-03-15, 12:05 AM   #37
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

His comments re Cook are interesting

"He is a proven Test player, he is a quality player, I have every confidence in Alastair Cook.

"We have to make sure we protect him, look after him properly and let him concentrate on playing cricket."

You could read that as take away the captaincy burden and let him concentrate on scoring runs.
Old 25-03-15, 08:13 AM   #38
RichC
Meh

Yup, something most fans can see as being a good thing; obviously the selectors know best though
Old 25-03-15, 12:39 PM   #39
Chazza
Des Lynam

Old 25-03-15, 12:43 PM   #40
Alex
Administrator

My one issue with KP wanting to get back to England was that he wasn't playing the Test or One Day games domestically and just going for the T20 money.

Good on him for putting his career first this season. Force the ECB to make a decision.

est1892 > General > General Sports