It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 26-11-15, 04:18 PM   #41
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Much like this thread, I’ve hit a complete brink wall in the gym. I really thought that after I got all the fasting and dieting out of the way after my holidays that I’d start eating more and fly up the weights in the gym. The first part was easy, but if anything I’m regressing with my lifting at the gym. Very frustrating.

I try to avoid any kind of supplements for the gym as I don’t want to become reliant on them, but I might have to try something soon as I just feel like I’m wasting my time every day.

Probably wouldn't have happened if this thread was still in CCC.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 11-12-15, 02:38 PM   #42
Subby
George Soros

Broke the 500lbs barrier last night for the first time horizontal leg press. yay 228kg - 502lbs

Subby

Custom 600t : i7 [email protected] : ROG Rampage Extreme IV : 16gig 2400 RAM : Vega 56 : 750w EVGA : Xonar sound : W10 Pro : CableMod custom cables.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 11:29 AM   #43
paulg
Dalglish

Have any of you guys done 5x5 strength training? I've been reading up on it, as my long term aim is to get bigger and stronger. Obviously I need to get past the lazy git, can't be arsed to do even press ups first...
paulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 11:33 AM   #44
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg View Post
Have any of you guys done 5x5 strength training? I've been reading up on it, as my long term aim is to get bigger and stronger. Obviously I need to get past the lazy git, can't be arsed to do even press ups first...
Yes. It's very good.

The basic cycle for what you're trying to achieve is: strength > hypertrophy > cut.

Although with a decent diet 5x5 will be great.

The bit at the start will seem easy, it's designed that way to ensure you nail form. Perhaps worth getting a PT to monitor your form so you can adjust to the extra weight (as it's easy to squat say 40kg with awful form - less so with 140kg if you catch my drift). This is what i did as my deadlift form (rounded back was dreadful). You can always line up a camera to monitor your lifts if you lift in the house.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 12:07 PM   #45
Alex
Administrator

Yeah I did it 18 months back for a few months. Really improved my strength and fitness. But Christmas and life got in the way and I fell off the plan.

Im actually planning on restarting tonight at the Gym.

Before when I was doing 5x5 I was also running on the alternate day and eating very clean. So the weight fell off me, and I was at a point where I had to keep eating meat to not lose the strength. It works though.
Old 08-01-16, 10:07 AM   #46
paulg
Dalglish

Cheers guys, I may ask about it at the gym near work. Hopefully they'll know what they're talking about, many don't. Thanks for the tips.
paulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-16, 10:18 AM   #47
Alex
Administrator

There is an app that guides you through it all. Thats all I used.

I think the paid version runs though the optional warm up exercises and stuff. But all that is is lighter sets until for a bit before.
Old 08-01-16, 10:26 AM   #48
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg View Post
Cheers guys, I may ask about it at the gym near work. Hopefully they'll know what they're talking about, many don't. Thanks for the tips.
Also, don't do cardio in between. That rule follows for any program really (don't start fucking with it or adding to it).

Medhi has loads of material on it and isn't a bullshitter - read up. He doesn't claim to have invented anything. It follows the basics of weightlifting without any nonsense.

The only compliant with it - it can get a bit boring if the buzz off not lifting heavy isn't for you.
Old 15-02-16, 08:54 PM   #49
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboklopp View Post
How are you pecs coming along tNorbasaurus?
I ended up doing no exercise between going to Mexico and New Year and topped out at 29.5% body fat

Obviously did a fair bit of running throughout January for the 10k and have now joined a gym. Plan is to do an hours cardio only workout on Monday and Wednesday and very light cardio warm-up with upper body resistance machines on Tuesday and Thursday. Friday I'm going to run on the road as I'm preparing for an 8 mile run in April

Having now tried out some resistance machines I can confirm for sure that I'm so weedy

Last edited by Norbs; 15-02-16 at 09:12 PM.
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-16, 10:42 PM   #50
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Bad times norbs, bad times. Still, soundsfun. Are your boobies all sore now?

Today was medium weight medium rep squats for me. 130K. 8 reps, 8 reps, 10 reps. Was annoyed cos I fucked up the 8th of the 10 & had to spend loads of energy stabilising it. 11 reps would've been a PB.
Old 15-02-16, 10:52 PM   #51
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Is that 130k total or per rep?
Old 15-02-16, 11:24 PM   #52
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Per rep dude.
Old 16-02-16, 10:27 AM   #53
RedReet

Quote:
Bad times norbs, bad times. Still, soundsfun. Are your boobies all sore now?

Today was medium weight medium rep squats for me. 130K. 8 reps, 8 reps, 10 reps. Was annoyed cos I fucked up the 8th of the 10 & had to spend loads of energy stabilising it. 11 reps would've been a PB.
Iím about half an inch too short for lifting the barbell off the rack for squats, so am just an accident waiting to happen. Similar to you, I exert so much energy trying to lift it off the rack and get balanced, that Iíve barely anything left for my exercise. Setting it back is a bit of an ordeal too and how I havenít injured myself yet Iíll never no.

I have injured my arms though, although canít find a proper diagnosis online yet. Tennis elbow seems to be the closest. Itís actually the inside of my elbow giving me shooting pains up my arm so Iíve constantly got that sensation that comes when you hit your funny bone.

Been a poor start to 2016, canít get a proper routine going and canít shift that extra Ĺ stone (at least) put on at Christmas.
Old 16-02-16, 10:50 AM   #54
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Per rep dude.
Yeah, definitely felt it in my breast bone most. I think the chest press was set at about 40k, seriously

Just been again and could barely lift my arms to wash in the shower after. Tough going this weights lark innit

Last edited by Norbs; 16-02-16 at 07:38 PM.
Old 17-02-16, 08:41 PM   #55
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Defo can be. DOMS is a fuckin bitch when you start. But your body gets used to it over time. Especially if you train regularly. Make sure you stretch off properly after & warm up properly before. And eat plenty of protein & try get into good postural habits.
Old 17-02-16, 09:55 PM   #56
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Iím about half an inch too short for lifting the barbell off the rack for squats, so am just an accident waiting to happen. Similar to you, I exert so much energy trying to lift it off the rack and get balanced, that Iíve barely anything left for my exercise. Setting it back is a bit of an ordeal too and how I havenít injured myself yet Iíll never no.

I have injured my arms though, although canít find a proper diagnosis online yet. Tennis elbow seems to be the closest. Itís actually the inside of my elbow giving me shooting pains up my arm so Iíve constantly got that sensation that comes when you hit your funny bone.

Been a poor start to 2016, canít get a proper routine going and canít shift that extra Ĺ stone (at least) put on at Christmas.

You should try this exercise instead -

https://www.t-nation.com/training/hip-belt-squats

It will save your back
Old 17-02-16, 11:58 PM   #57
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Defo can be. DOMS is a fuckin bitch when you start. But your body gets used to it over time. Especially if you train regularly. Make sure you stretch off properly after & warm up properly before. And eat plenty of protein & try get into good postural habits.
Cheers Ploddo. I'm dreadful at warmup and cool down. The gym has stretching guides on the wall, I'll take your advice and make sure I take the to
Old 18-02-16, 12:06 AM   #58
Paul.S
:: Site Owner ::

Ouch.

Where I used to work, one of the owners' partner has a Gym, and we used to go there once a week for training. That stopped when I went self employed, but I've decided to go back a couple of times a week, the wife is on a diet, I don't really do diets, so I'll have to sweat it out.

bloody ouch!

Amazing how much difference it makes when you've not been for two years
Paul.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-16, 12:57 AM   #59
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.S View Post
Ouch.

Where I used to work, one of the owners' partner has a Gym, and we used to go there once a week for training. That stopped when I went self employed, but I've decided to go back a couple of times a week, the wife is on a diet, I don't really do diets, so I'll have to sweat it out.

bloody ouch!

Amazing how much difference it makes when you've not been for two years
Food is 80% of your success! Depends on the diet, eating pizza and burgers is a diet, albeit a bad one.
Old 18-02-16, 10:00 AM   #60
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
You should try this exercise instead -

https://www.t-nation.com/training/hip-belt-squats

It will save your back

I do like squats though, so I think a better approach for me might be to lighten the weight and do more reps. I did have a decent enough strategy for a while, but Iíve struggled more recently when I upped the weight, so I think the extra weight is forcing my soles further into the rubber floor and the extra mmís are making all the difference.

It's crap being short.
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 18-02-16, 01:59 PM   #61
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post

I do like squats though, so I think a better approach for me might be to lighten the weight and do more reps. I did have a decent enough strategy for a while, but Iíve struggled more recently when I upped the weight, so I think the extra weight is forcing my soles further into the rubber floor and the extra mmís are making all the difference.

It's crap being short.
Barbell squats will do your back in eventually.
Old 18-02-16, 02:41 PM   #62
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Barbell squats will do your back in eventually.
Nonsense.
Old 18-02-16, 02:45 PM   #63
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
Nonsense.

Funny because I've read more about how weighting the top of your spine is not good for you in the long run.
Old 18-02-16, 03:17 PM   #64
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Funny because I've read more about how weighting the top of your spine is not good for you in the long run.
The amount of rubbish printed about weight lifting and diet is enough to fill a life time's reading. You'll also read that it's dangerous to dip below the knees, usually fine for most people, and encouraged if optimum leg training is your want.

Back squats will terrible form will cause people problems as the weight goes up, sure. But the same could be said for most exercises. Couple of things to help. 1) get a PT if you're new to it to set you on a proper course/knowledge base 2) set a camera/phone side one and video your lift, if the form is awry, lower the weight until the form comes back; rinse repeat.

Back squat is the cornerstone of any weight lifting regime. Has been, and always will be.
Old 19-02-16, 02:14 AM   #65
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
The amount of rubbish printed about weight lifting and diet is enough to fill a life time's reading. You'll also read that it's dangerous to dip below the knees, usually fine for most people, and encouraged if optimum leg training is your want.

Back squats will terrible form will cause people problems as the weight goes up, sure. But the same could be said for most exercises. Couple of things to help. 1) get a PT if you're new to it to set you on a proper course/knowledge base 2) set a camera/phone side one and video your lift, if the form is awry, lower the weight until the form comes back; rinse repeat.

Back squat is the cornerstone of any weight lifting regime. Has been, and always will be.
Yeah looked into it, seems that most complain because their form is incorrect. I guess the scope for that (free weights) is huge. I have a weights bench outside but I'm too tall to do the barbell squat from it, I use dumbells instead.

I'd use a squat rack if I could.
Old 19-02-16, 09:57 PM   #66
labourRed
Shankly

You can get a decent rack for about £200.

Anyway, dumbell squats suffer from your arms not being able to support the weight your legs can push.

Bulgarian split squats will help you with a short term solution. Not a substitute for back squats which are a kingly exercise especially 100kg plus as you need to engage the kitchen sink.

Bit of love should be given to deadlifts as well.

Heavy, FTW.
Old 20-02-16, 11:45 AM   #67
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

It's 36 degrees and 90% humidity outside so that's my excuse for not starting yet!
Old 23-02-16, 08:06 PM   #68
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

What Labourred said. Although sadly a lot of PTs teach squat terribly.

Speaking of squats, back up to 165K today, which is only 5K off me all time pb (I was a few K heavier myself then tho).
Old 10-03-16, 05:28 PM   #69
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Another PB for me today- 9 reps of 170K deadlift. No bouncing, all clean reps.
Old 10-03-16, 05:41 PM   #70
Assassin
Kloppite

No wonder you are short and stumpy....its impossible to grow taller under those weights....
Old 10-03-16, 06:51 PM   #71
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

That's my excuse generally aye, technically I ain't under the bad for a deadlift.
Old 10-03-16, 07:30 PM   #72
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I'm starting a 5x5 plan this weekend!
Old 10-03-16, 09:26 PM   #73
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Good is 5x5. Defo improve your strength. I stuck with it too long tho defo.
Old 13-03-16, 11:13 PM   #74
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Well it's taken a few years, a lot of hard work, numerous osteopath & Physio seshs & even a double cortisone injection but finally up to where I was & matched my biggest bench (130k) & squat (170k) today. At a fair bit lighter too.

Plus a new PB on paused bench of 127.5K.

On the back of me 9x170K dead on Thursday & numerous 7x70K shoulder press on Friday.

Usually when I get to this point I fuck myself up. Ain't happening this time.
Old 14-03-16, 07:00 AM   #75
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

What kind of warm up routine do you follow before doing weights?
Old 15-03-16, 12:24 AM   #76
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Lot of joint rotations & stretching. Particularly when training squats or deads.

Volume & weight of lighter sets varies in which rep range I am doing but for the big squat it was:

8x60
3x100
1x120
(All full - arse to heels & paused)
Then standard squat slightly below parallel -

So very low volumes when that heavy- everything up to 160 was still a warm-up really.
Old 15-03-16, 12:41 AM   #77
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Come to think of it, my squat warm up is always pretty similar up to 120k, whether I go light (ie 120k x10-12 for 3 sets, medium or heavy).
Old 15-03-16, 12:53 PM   #78
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I subbed back squats for goblet squats today. My bar rack is too low for me but I really wanted to do squats. Felt good!
Old 15-03-16, 01:26 PM   #79
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Aye, I don't really do front squats (or such variations thereof) cos I'm already quad dominant, but they are defo a fantastic excercise. Will hit your core hard too.
Old 15-03-16, 08:12 PM   #80
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Oooosht.

200 kilo deadlift- 2 reps. PB.

Ooosht.

est1892 > General > General Sports