It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 22-06-22, 09:14 AM   #241
wiw
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
You wonder who'll be the next to go.

Justin Thomas I remember saying everyone has a number!
Quite interesting isn't it...not sure of the exact numbers but if someone offered to triple (?) your salary and it meant you work less...you'd be tempted wouldn't you. The money clearly overrides the principle at some point
Old 22-06-22, 10:04 AM   #242
RichC
Meh

The money they're throwing around is insane. As a "joining fee" Mickleson has picked up $200M & Dustin $150M, I think Norman said Tiger rejected a high 9 figure sum to join so the money involved is absolutely mental.

I guess it shows that even with the crazy money these golfers can earn they can still have their heads turned.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-22, 11:34 AM   #243
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I think John Rahm still summed it up well. He said he and his wife discussed whether this additional money would change their lifes in a single way, and the answer was no.

Thats why some of them have tried the 'work/life' balance line.

Its plain greed, and a lack of care as to being complicit in sportswashing.

Will be interesting to see how the press handle the World Cup in the winter.
Old 22-06-22, 12:35 PM   #244
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiw View Post
Quite interesting isn't it...not sure of the exact numbers but if someone offered to triple (?) your salary and it meant you work less...you'd be tempted wouldn't you. The money clearly overrides the principle at some point
Its not as if they are poor to start with though. Many of these guys should be completely financially comfortable to start with. Is Phil Mickleson worrying if the gas bill can be paid next month like an 'ordinary' member of the workforce. The money shouldn't be as much a head turner for them as it would be for the average man in the street.
Old 22-06-22, 12:59 PM   #245
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
Its not as if they are poor to start with though. Many of these guys should be completely financially comfortable to start with. Is Phil Mickleson worrying if the gas bill can be paid next month like an 'ordinary' member of the workforce. The money shouldn't be as much a head turner for them as it would be for the average man in the street.

Yep thats the distinction, and that is what Rahm was saying.
Old 22-06-22, 02:43 PM   #246
wiw
Paisley

Quote:
There's no doubting that. For some I would guess the LIV tour earnings are more on par with what they 'think' they should get, rightly or wrongly.

Would you not be tempted in those circumstances though? What if your mates did it?
Old 22-06-22, 02:45 PM   #247
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Lots of the players have basically said "this is just a job". They are doing a job, they have a huge pay rise on offer and could potentially retire early. If you look at it that way you can empathise to some degree.

For someone like Rahm and McIlroy though it seems they really do love the game, the history and the legacy they could leave behind. They think of it more of a vocation than a job if you like.

That is admirable, but as Justin Thomas said I'm sure they all have a price, and the numbers being offered are staggering and I think we will see more who have previously taken the moral high ground backtrack in the next few weeks.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-22, 02:49 PM   #248
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Just on the format though; it really is awful. I can't think of a single thing they've changed that I think is better for it.

Shotgun start - Shit. I don't want to watch someone start their round on the 18th, completely against how the course was designed.
No cut/3 rounds - I've no inherent issue with reducing it to 3 rounds, but I don't see what it adds for the spectator?
Team format and names - Utter cringe, confusing and who gives a shit?

It might improve if they are willing to change it up, but for me it is nowhere near as exciting as watching the traditional format of golf.
Old 22-06-22, 04:16 PM   #249
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Lots of the players have basically said "this is just a job". They are doing a job, they have a huge pay rise on offer and could potentially retire early. If you look at it that way you can empathise to some degree.

For someone like Rahm and McIlroy though it seems they really do love the game, the history and the legacy they could leave behind. They think of it more of a vocation than a job if you like.

That is admirable, but as Justin Thomas said I'm sure they all have a price, and the numbers being offered are staggering and I think we will see more who have previously taken the moral high ground backtrack in the next few weeks.
Surely all of them, even hacks like Poulter are way past needing to play to pay the bills?

A quick google suggests Poulter is worth £60m. He doesnt need to play Golf anymore.
Old 22-06-22, 06:30 PM   #250
Jas
Fagan

Quote:
Mickleson probably needed to pay off some of his gambling debts.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-22, 09:21 PM   #251
RichC
Meh

Rory has had his say on it again; can see this upsetting a few of them !

LIV Golf: Rory McIlroy calls players who switch 'pretty duplicitous'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/61899722
Old 23-06-22, 07:23 AM   #252
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
I think John Rahm still summed it up well. He said he and his wife discussed whether this additional money would change their lifes in a single way, and the answer was no.

Thats why some of them have tried the 'work/life' balance line.

Its plain greed, and a lack of care as to being complicit in sportswashing.

Will be interesting to see how the press handle the World Cup in the winter.
Old 23-06-22, 08:27 AM   #253
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

What would be the tipping point do you think in terms of it breaking the PGA Tour?

McIlroy, Rahm, Scheffler, Morikawa, Thomas, Speith, Hovland, Zalatoris, Cantley, Schaufelle, Cam Smith.

I'd say if they can get 4/5 more from off that list then the PGA Tour is in big trouble in terms of becoming a viable entity. The ones in bold are my ransom guesses at the ones I think could be tempted .
Old 23-06-22, 09:07 AM   #254
Harv
Randy Marsh

Has Fred Couples joined yet?

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-22, 11:38 AM   #255
RichC
Meh

Quote:
What would be the tipping point do you think in terms of it breaking the PGA Tour?

McIlroy, Rahm, Scheffler, Morikawa, Thomas, Speith, Hovland, Zalatoris, Cantley, Schaufelle, Cam Smith.

I'd say if they can get 4/5 more from off that list then the PGA Tour is in big trouble in terms of becoming a viable entity. The ones in bold are my ransom guesses at the ones I think could be tempted .
I would have said prior to Koepka that now Morikawa has come out and said he's staying that's what he'll be doing but who knows now!

If they can convince 3 or 4 of the top 10 then the PGA tour is in real trouble as when does it move towards the best players being on the LIV tour rather than the PGA.

Money is one of those things that seem to change peoples position on things; $100M+ whomever you are is a lot of cash to say no to just as a joining fee.

What I hadn't realised was these are the same guys that own Newcastle now.
Old 23-06-22, 04:50 PM   #256
red g
Paisley

Quote:

Do you see shaded of the PDC and BDO here? where the PGA is going to become the BDO obviously and 90% of the best players are with LIV?

Or do you think the PGA will relent and try and let both run with players from either being allowed entry?

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-22, 06:42 AM   #257
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
Do you see shaded of the PDC and BDO here? where the PGA is going to become the BDO obviously and 90% of the best players are with LIV?

Or do you think the PGA will relent and try and let both run with players from either being allowed entry?
Really not sure where it is going to go. I have been surprised how many of the bigger names have switched over already. I thought there would be none, but DJ, Bryson and Kopeka are a surprise. Abraham Ancer and Patrick Reed have also switched recently. There is also rumours Hovland is tempted (I'd be gutted by that one!). By that logic I think they will "convince" a few more soon enough and we will be near the tipping point of it being close which field is better.

The PGA Tour could then make an embarrassing backtrack and let them play in both but I doubt it. It would probably just encourage more players to sign up to LIV as there is no punishment and then whenever there is a LIV event everyone will play in that and PGA Tour events would be pointless as the field would be so poor. So what is the point of backing down?

I honestly think the PGA Tour is fucked and just has to prey the LIV Golf thing fails. I think it might, as the format is absolute garbage!
Old 24-06-22, 09:48 AM   #258
RichC
Meh

So, a mate of mine was playing with a tour pro yesterday at a pro-am. The guy was saying one of his mates on tour who's got career earnings of about £1M has joined the LIV tour; been paid £26M to join! Not sure on the name but he's going to be pretty unknown with that sort of career earnings.

Money involved is absolutely bonkers
Old 24-06-22, 09:58 AM   #259
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Sounds like they are playing the long game. The outrage will not stay for long, and if they can hoover up enough young talent then they will be set for the future.

It is about as obvious an example of sportswashing as you could hope to see.
Old 24-06-22, 10:15 AM   #260
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Fucking mental.
Old 24-06-22, 10:35 AM   #261
RichC
Meh

DP World tour have finally come out. I think to have any kind of weight it's going to be the Majors banning these players and I don't think they will.

"DP World Tour: LIV players to be fined and suspended; Players suspended from Scottish Open"

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/...-scottish-open
Old 24-06-22, 11:17 AM   #262
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
So, a mate of mine was playing with a tour pro yesterday at a pro-am. The guy was saying one of his mates on tour who's got career earnings of about £1M has joined the LIV tour; been paid £26M to join! Not sure on the name but he's going to be pretty unknown with that sort of career earnings.

Money involved is absolutely bonkers
Crazy. Set for life. How can you blame them I guess?
Old 24-06-22, 11:42 AM   #263
RichC
Meh

That's the thing isn't it. He's apparently fully aware that if bigger name golfers sign up he'll probably lose his place but with £26M in the bank I'm not sure how fussed you'd be.
Old 24-06-22, 12:10 PM   #264
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

For fellas like him, I completely get it. We'd all do it. But for the top guys, like Rahm said, I honestly think (easier said than done I know) I wouldn't be interested. They're already more than made for life and the extra riches would make no material difference.
Old 24-06-22, 12:49 PM   #265
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
For fellas like him, I completely get it. We'd all do it. But for the top guys, like Rahm said, I honestly think (easier said than done I know) I wouldn't be interested. They're already more than made for life and the extra riches would make no material difference.
I guess it depends; if it is all personal wealth then I would agree that they really don't need more, but if the individual is interested in charities, community etc, then extra riches could go a long way.

Not that I know if that is the case, I know nothing of the outside world of a top golfer.
Old 24-06-22, 02:54 PM   #266
RichC
Meh

Quote:
I mean that sort of money is life changing for probably your kids lives and potentially there's as well.

The top guys I agree with, they're already insanely wealthy but when the numbers get into the 9 figures it's such a ludicrous amount of money for doing your job you can see why some of these golfers have just decided to sell their souls for the cash.

I guess you'd hope you'd tell them to do one but until you're in that position with an almost blank cheque being pushed across the table it's hard to know, I mean I'm sure Norman is spinning this is way to help improve their human rights from within etc.. all bollocks of course but probably easier to justify the decision
Old 27-06-22, 01:12 PM   #267
wiw
Paisley

Quote:
DP World tour have finally come out. I think to have any kind of weight it's going to be the Majors banning these players and I don't think they will.

"DP World Tour: LIV players to be fined and suspended; Players suspended from Scottish Open"

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/...-scottish-open
So at the moment the LIV guys can still play in the majors? Is it not PGA tour points/rankings that decide who get to play, apart from previous winners obviously
Old 27-06-22, 02:57 PM   #268
RichC
Meh

So all the Majors you get a 5 year exemption if you're a previous winner bar the Masters which is a lifetime invitation.

Not sure if there are other exemptions but I guess the Majors can if they like offer invitations to players as well if they choose.
Old 29-06-22, 09:32 AM   #269
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Arseholes. Don't even know who those other two are.

Old 29-06-22, 09:52 AM   #270
wiw
Paisley

Can you summarise please? Can't watch at work
Old 29-06-22, 10:09 AM   #271
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

"There's been a lot of complaints about Saudi involvement in golf...from PGA members, politicians, 9/11 survivors - do you have any concerns that you are supporting a country with a really bad human rights record?"

Long haired prick called 'Pat':

"No"

"Could you explain?"

"I'm playing golf. I've been given an opportunity to play golf and that's all I'm concerned about."

Koepka:

"What Pat said. He's spot on."
Old 29-06-22, 10:14 AM   #272
wiw
Paisley

Quote:
"There's been a lot of complaints about Saudi involvement in golf...from PGA members, politicians, 9/11 survivors - do you have any concerns that you are supporting a country with a really bad human rights record?"

Long haired prick called 'Pat':

"No"

"Could you explain?"

"I'm playing golf. I've been given an opportunity to play golf and that's all I'm concerned about."

Koepka:

"What Pat said. He's spot on."
Thanks

That Pat guy certainly looks like...err...well, y'know. Like a Pat.

I guess on one level they are right. On another level they are spectacularly wrong
Old 29-06-22, 10:30 AM   #273
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

It's Pat Perez. Honestly those three are three of the biggest bellends in golf.
Old 29-06-22, 03:49 PM   #274
red g
Paisley

https://caknowledge.com/pat-perez-net-worth/

never even heard of him. Not doing bad in life though for someone called Pat Perez

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-22, 12:12 AM   #275
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Arseholes. Don't even know who those other two are.

https://twitter.com/KylePorterCBS/st...05486458621958
Provided me with an opportunity to play golf. Oh right then, fair enough. That was lacking previously :shakehead:

est1892 > General > General Sports