It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 23-04-09, 06:21 PM   #81
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
All taken on board, but i dont fancy Allen to win 10 frames mate.

4/6 on O'Sullivan -3.5 looks good, dont you think?
I agree with Shaggy they do seem a little skinny those odds, Allen is decent and Ronnie blows hot and cold.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 23-04-09, 06:26 PM   #82
Craig_H
Football's all about the kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1981 View Post
I agree with Shaggy they do seem a little skinny those odds, Allen is decent and Ronnie blows hot and cold.
RoS has the motivation that his dad will be able to watch the 2nd week at the Crucible, i believe. He's vowed to win it for his dad.

When he's motivated and focused, nobody can touch him.

Surely -3.5 is a decent bet at 4/6. Best of 25 frames, can you see Allen winning 10?
Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-09, 06:28 PM   #83
Liverpool
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1981 View Post
The one person who can stop Ronnie winning this is himself.

Wouldnt mind getting back into snooker, played for a fair few hours on Saturday, was bloodly awful.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-09, 06:38 PM   #84
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Quote:
All taken on board, but i dont fancy Allen to win 10 frames mate.

4/6 on O'Sullivan -3.5 looks good, dont you think?
Definitely but you just never know with him! I know a few people who've been stung by him not being in the mood.
Old 23-04-09, 06:50 PM   #85
Craig_H

Might just take RoS to win the match, straightforward. Lump on at 1/5.
Old 23-04-09, 06:51 PM   #86
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

He'll win 13-0 now. He's more than capable.
Old 25-04-09, 01:57 PM   #87
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Quote:
Might just take RoS to win the match, straightforward. Lump on at 1/5.
Hope you didn't - he's lost!!! 13-11, Ronnie is out.
Old 25-04-09, 02:21 PM   #88
wiw
Paisley

haha no way
Old 25-04-09, 02:37 PM   #89
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Mark Allen produced a superb display in the final session to seal a 13-11 win that ends Ronnie O'Sullivan's hopes of defending his world title.

O'Sullivan resumed the second-round tie 9-7 up, but an inspired Allen took the opening three frames to edge ahead.

The misfiring world number one looked to be on for a 147 maximum break in the next, but broke down on 105 to level.

After the next two frames were shared, Northern Ireland's Allen held his nerve to seal the biggest win of his career.

Allen, who will meet either Ryan Day or Nigel Bond in the quarter-finals, had heaped pressure on himself before the match by insisting he was capable of beating the three-time world champion, despite the bookmakers making him a clear underdog.

"A lot of people play Ronnie and they don't think they're capable of winning," he said after his first-round win over Martin Gould.

"I know that I'm capable of winning, it's just a matter of going out there and proving it on the day. Ronnie is favourite for many reasons, but favourites don't always win."

He lived up to his prediction, showing admirable coolness as the match reached its critical stage, and now looks to be a genuine contender to succeed O'Sullivan as world champion.

O'Sullivan certainly rated his opponent's chances of lifting the trophy in Sheffield, but he was less than impressed with his own form.

"He played brilliantly - if he keeps on playing like that he's got a great chance of winning the tournament," said O'Sullivan.

"But I half expected that. I didn't expect to get through my first round, to be honest. I'm not surprised - I think anyone would have beaten me playing on that type of form.

"I can't imagine he'll be jumping around and doing cartwheels after beating me with the way I played - I was very poor but that's the way it goes.

"If I'd have been 11-5 up I'd have still felt quite negative about it because I wasn't playing any good. It's not nice to play like that, but you just have to get on with it.

"Even if I'd have got through that one, it would have been the next match."

But O'Sullivan did find some solace in the chance to spend some time with his father, who is coming to the end of a long prison sentence and is being allowed short periods with his family to help readjust.

"I might watch some on TV, go home and see my kids, I've got my dad coming out so I've got all that to look forward to," he said.

"I'm excited about spending some time with my dad."

Allen, the world number 16 hit the ground running in the concluding session, making breaks of 59 and 69 to take the first two frames as O'Sullivan struggled to find top gear.

An O'Sullivan miss allowed Allen back into the frame in the next, and he took full advantage, taking it on a respotted black to really put the pressure on his illustrious opponent.

O'Sullivan showed his class in the last frame before the mid-session interval, sweeping to 105 with 14 reds and 13 blacks before missing a tricky black with his left hand with a maximum on the cards.

But the classy break was not the start of a sustained O'Sullivan fightback as Allen made runs of 47 and 36 to go 11-10 ahead.

O'Sullivan capitalised on an Allen in-off with a 67 to level again, and looked set to impose himself as he quickly moved 37-0 ahead in the next - but a missed black off the spot proved pivotal.

Allen calmly knocked in a break of 80 to leave himself on the brink, and he moved into the quarter-finals with aplomb after taking advantage of O'Sullivan's errors to take the last in two visits.

"To play one of your heroes at The Crucible was a dream come true, and that inspired me," the 23-year-old told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"A lot of people might have crumbled but I loved every minute of it. Even when Ronnie was making breaks I was thinking 'I'll get him next time'.

"That's what you play snooker for: playing the best players in the world, and I'm pleased I performed under pressure."

O'Sullivan had been attempting to become the first player to make a successful defence of his title since Stephen Hendry in 1996.
Old 25-04-09, 02:49 PM   #90
Craig_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso View Post
Hope you didn't - he's lost!!! 13-11, Ronnie is out.
Saw this result this morning, very surprised. I didnt go with it in the end, i decided to save the money for the man utd game later. Obviously nobody will believe me, but that's life
Old 26-04-09, 05:58 PM   #91
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

We all believe you mate.
Old 26-04-09, 05:59 PM   #92
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Oh yeah and Sean Murphy is my tip this year, he's playing very very well.
Old 27-04-09, 08:12 AM   #93
Scratch
If you fail once....

Selby or Maguire for me, altho if Cope can get past Higgins later, i tihnk he could be a surprise package.
Old 28-04-09, 12:40 PM   #94
BFG
Dalglish

Hendry's just rattled in a lovely 147. 5-2 up on Murphy now. I love the BBC website.
Old 28-04-09, 12:42 PM   #95
Craig_H

Hendry's a class act and his potting is on fire. 13/2 for outright winner and now that RoS is out, it's wide open. 13/2 e/w on Hendry might not be the worst bet going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo1981 View Post

If Hendry's form continues, Murphy will find it very difficult.
Old 28-04-09, 12:47 PM   #96
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Hendry was fucking 12s after his first round win.
Old 28-04-09, 12:48 PM   #97
BFG
Dalglish

Quote:
Hendry's a class act and his potting is on fire. 13/2 for outright winner and now that RoS is out, it's wide open. 13/2 e/w on Hendry might not be the worst bet going.

I think the winner of the Hendry/ Murphy game will win the tournament.
Old 28-04-09, 12:56 PM   #98
Craig_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso View Post
Hendry was fucking 12s after his first round win.
He's looking to be in good form now. I didnt know that he was 12s but his odds almost halving is a reflection of how well he's playing.
Old 28-04-09, 02:13 PM   #99
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:

Yeah Hendry's looking vintage, that pink and black finish for the 147 were worthy. However, Murphy has hung in there and is by no means out of it at 5-3.
Old 28-04-09, 04:39 PM   #100
Craig_H

No, he's certainly not out of it by any means. The standard is high and a 2 frame lead is nothing.

Hendry could've probably done without the end of the session, to be fair.
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 28-04-09, 04:47 PM   #101
lfcchris
Fagan

Quote:

That aint a bad bet. I may have to have a look at that. He has looked very good all tournament.

Awoooga!!!!!!!!
lfcchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-09, 04:59 PM   #102
Craig_H

Higgins and Selby have played 7 frames so far and there's been 4 centuries.

They've both got over 90% pot success rates. Great stuff.
Old 28-04-09, 07:39 PM   #103
Duncan Jenkins
Chicken sandwich anyone?

i played snooker on a full size tables for the first time a few weeks ago. i poted one red and i poted the white about five times. we had one frame, i lost 115-1 most of his points where fouls i kept missing the ball i aim for. its very hard i didnt imagine it would be so big and so hard

i think higgins will win
Duncan Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-09, 08:30 AM   #104
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Jenkins View Post
i played snooker on a full size tables for the first time a few weeks ago. i poted one red and i poted the white about five times. we had one frame, i lost 115-1 most of his points where fouls i kept missing the ball i aim for. its very hard i didnt imagine it would be so big and so hard

i think higgins will win
Stick at it Duncan, Rome wasn't built in a day. Im sure John Higgins probably lost about 115-1 on his first go, granted he was probably about 4 years old at the time, but you get my point.
Old 29-04-09, 08:57 AM   #105
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
its very hard i didnt imagine it would be so big and so hard
Said the choirboy to the vicar...
Old 29-04-09, 02:08 PM   #106
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Safely into the Semis . Hendry does have the small consolation of a £157k to soften the blow slightly though.
Old 29-04-09, 02:13 PM   #107
lfcchris
Fagan

Quote:
Safely into the Semis . Hendry does have the small consolation of a £157k to soften the blow slightly though.
Not that he needs it

Awoooga!!!!!!!!
Old 29-04-09, 02:23 PM   #108
lfcchris
Fagan

Quote:

i think higgins will win

As the saying goes "you have to learn to walk before you can run". Its the same type of thing. I have played snooker for about 5 years now but only seriously for the last 3 and have developed to a decent standard. Not good enough to turn pro but I really think I could of if I would have stared playing when I was around 7 or 8 instead of 15.
The main advice I could give you over this and without seeing you play is to watch the snooker on tv and try and develop a stance similar to what you see. Especially the likes of Stephen Hendry and John Higgins. Get low down to the ball and have your bridge around 2 to 3 hand behind the cue ball. One key is to build your stance around your cue. In other words put your cue down as you inted to play your shot, then lower yourself down to the ball. This enables you to cue the ball properly without any parts of your body getting in the way and hampering you. Also keep your head very still, it shouldnt move at all and after ou have taken the shot stay down, even counting to 3 in your head before standing up. This again, enables you to cue through the ball properly. Then, for the first few times you are playing, dont think about position. Just concentrate on potting. You will then develop into positioning and building breaks, safety play, and using spin such as side, top spin and screwing back.
I hope this helps a bit.

Awoooga!!!!!!!!
Old 29-04-09, 04:43 PM   #109
wiw
Paisley

I love it when Griffiths commentates, I like to imagine it's John Cale
Old 29-04-09, 05:31 PM   #110
wiw
Paisley

Allen wins 13-11
Old 29-04-09, 06:27 PM   #111
Duncan Jenkins
Chicken sandwich anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcchris View Post
As the saying goes "you have to learn to walk before you can run". Its the same type of thing. I have played snooker for about 5 years now but only seriously for the last 3 and have developed to a decent standard. Not good enough to turn pro but I really think I could of if I would have stared playing when I was around 7 or 8 instead of 15.
The main advice I could give you over this and without seeing you play is to watch the snooker on tv and try and develop a stance similar to what you see. Especially the likes of Stephen Hendry and John Higgins. Get low down to the ball and have your bridge around 2 to 3 hand behind the cue ball. One key is to build your stance around your cue. In other words put your cue down as you inted to play your shot, then lower yourself down to the ball. This enables you to cue the ball properly without any parts of your body getting in the way and hampering you. Also keep your head very still, it shouldnt move at all and after ou have taken the shot stay down, even counting to 3 in your head before standing up. This again, enables you to cue through the ball properly. Then, for the first few times you are playing, dont think about position. Just concentrate on potting. You will then develop into positioning and building breaks, safety play, and using spin such as side, top spin and screwing back.
I hope this helps a bit.
thank for the advice mates.

why do i need to keep my head down for 3 seconds.

it hard to copy stance off the pros on telly coz i cant see there legs. also im worried about loooking like an idiot when i measure out 2-3 hands on teh table for my "bridge".
Old 29-04-09, 06:30 PM   #112
Duncan Jenkins
Chicken sandwich anyone?

how do u spin the ball
Old 29-04-09, 07:13 PM   #113
Liverpool
Paisley

I find throwing it works for back spin.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-09, 07:15 PM   #114
magicalbarnes
Dalglish

Quote:
Higgins and Selby have played 7 frames so far and there's been 4 centuries.

They've both got over 90% pot success rates. Great stuff.
I hope Higgins wins it. I put a tenner on him when he was 12/1
magicalbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-09, 08:42 PM   #115
lfcchris
Fagan

Quote:

The reason is because if you stand up to quick, your cue moves with you and you tend to not cue through the ball properly.

it hard to copy stance off the pros on telly coz i cant see there legs. also im worried about loooking like an idiot when i measure out 2-3 hands on teh table for my "bridge".
You may find some information on the internet somewhere. Its hard to explain about a stance on here without showing you. Its a rough idea but you will get used to it. The main thing, as with everything tho is to do it how you feel comfortable.

Quote:
how do u spin the ball
If you hit the cue ball at the bottom, you can get screw back, top - top spin, and either side puts that spin on it. Then you can learn to put check side and also using the opposite side when screwing back with side off a cushion. Dont worry yourself about that just yet as it would be more beneficial to concentrate on your potting.

Awoooga!!!!!!!!
Old 30-04-09, 08:12 AM   #116
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:

Old 23-04-10, 03:19 PM   #117
magicalbarnes
Dalglish

That time of year again!

Davis beating Higgins in the 2nd round 6-3
magicalbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-10, 03:37 PM   #118
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Quote:

i think higgins will win
Old 23-04-10, 05:05 PM   #119
Neil Young
Prosecco Socialist

I've just been flicking between a re-run of last night's darts and the live snooker. After switching from one to the other I finally realised I was bored rigid so I've decided to waste time on here instead.

Surely this is the wrong forum for all this anyway. Moderators, can we have a general Games forum as well so proper sport doesn't get mixed up with parlour games of this sort?
Suppose you have a physicist and a sociologist standing at the side of a field, observing a set of events unfolding on the field. The physicist does [describes] it using the terminology of mass and velocity and frequency of radiation and the rest. And the sociologist does it by describing it as a rugby match.

May the Lord bless this post.
Neil Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-10, 05:20 PM   #120
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

I'm trying to be interested in the snooker but my God it's dull.

Incidentally I've just received a text notifying me John Higgins has clawed it back to 8-6 against the evergreen former ginge, Steve Davis.

est1892 > General > General Sports