It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 30-03-22, 09:42 AM   #5561
Angryred
Dalglish

Well, who wouldn't give away their MOTM award in a match where Italy beat you!!...Nah, fair fucks to him as Adams made a mockery of the selection process & gave it to those more deserving of it!
Old 04-04-22, 08:47 PM   #5562
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Ridonculous from Dupont has got the lot.

Old 07-05-22, 05:38 PM   #5563
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Pelanties in the Munster v Toulouse 1/4 final. Never watched them live before.
Old 07-05-22, 06:21 PM   #5564
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Pelanties in the Munster v Toulouse 1/4 final. Never watched them live before.
Never want to see them again…..
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-22, 07:07 PM   #5565
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Never want to see them again…..

I didn’t even know the format.

Nothing in the match. Both teams looked absolutely wrecked at the end.
Old 08-05-22, 04:20 PM   #5566
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Finn Russell just scored an outrageous try for Racing.
Old 08-05-22, 04:42 PM   #5567
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 08-05-22, 07:01 PM   #5568
Irishnev
Paisley

Finn did a couple of funts down the pitch vs a shit defence

This was a class try…..

Looks like French dominance in national and club rugby now
Old 08-05-22, 10:29 PM   #5569
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I recall him from the Under-20 6Ns he scored a few like that.

If he is doing that in the senior squads… English as well (FFS).

Incredible try.
Old 08-05-22, 10:31 PM   #5570
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Looks like French dominance in national and club rugby now
Racing are such a good team to watch. All that is good about Rugby.

Leinster will smash them though. Leinster absolutely demolished Leicester, quite sobering for the best English team this season to be taken apart so comprehensively.
Old 09-05-22, 06:21 AM   #5571
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Racing are such a good team to watch. All that is good about Rugby.

Leinster will smash them though. Leinster absolutely demolished Leicester, quite sobering for the best English team this season to be taken apart so comprehensively.
Leinster are playing Toulouse - I fancy Toulouse…..they seem to know how to win
Old 09-05-22, 10:03 AM   #5572
Angryred
Dalglish

Quote:
It's all in the name, mate!... To Lose!
Old 09-05-22, 04:02 PM   #5573
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
I recall him from the Under-20 6Ns he scored a few like that.

If he is doing that in the senior squads… English as well (FFS).

Incredible try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryred View Post
It's all in the name, mate!... To Lose!
Old 09-05-22, 04:24 PM   #5574
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
I normally would want an Irish team to go well. Just not Leinster.
Old 28-05-22, 07:25 PM   #5575
Irishnev
Paisley

Leinster beaten at the death - La Rochelle deserved it
Old 28-05-22, 11:23 PM   #5576
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Leinster beaten at the death - La Rochelle deserved it
Watched this also.

La Rochelle definitely deserved it. How Leinster didn’t have a man carded in the last 20…??? Unusual performance from Leinster.
Old 29-05-22, 07:38 AM   #5577
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Watched this also.

La Rochelle definitely deserved it. How Leinster didn’t have a man carded in the last 20…??? Unusual performance from Leinster.
They struggle against pure physicality - Saracens, Toulouse and La Rochelle twice now
Old 29-05-22, 01:02 PM   #5578
Zapater
Dalglish

Really pleased for Rhule and Leyds. I don't think either of them should be off of the Bok radar.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-22, 09:08 PM   #5579
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Some intriguing possibilities now for South Africa v French and English club games in the Champions and Challenge cups now (already playing Irish, Scots and Welsh in the UCR)
May have to drop the word ‘European’.

Quote:
Stormers, Bulls and Sharks, who qualified second, fourth and fifth from the United Rugby Championship (URC), will play in the Champions Cup.
The Lions, who finished 12th, will play in the Challenge Cup, while the Cheetahs, who have not played in the URC, have been invited into the event.
Old 09-06-22, 10:23 AM   #5580
Zapater
Dalglish

URC Dream Team

1. Ox Nche (Cell C Sharks)
2. Johan Grobbelaar (Vodacom Bulls)
3. Thomas du Toit (Cell C Sharks)
4. Jean Kleyn (Munster)
5. Ruan Nortje (Vodacom Bulls)
6. Marcell Coetzee (Vodacom Bulls)

7. Nick Timoney (Ulster)
8. Evan Roos (DHL Stormers)
9. Craig Casey (Munster)
10. Ross Byrne (Leinster)
11. Leolin Zas (DHL Stormers)
12. Damian Willemse (DHL Stormers)

13. James Hume (Ulster)
14. Seabelo Senatla (DHL Stormers)
15. Warrick Gelant (DHL Stormers)

Are we going to be invited back next year?
Old 09-06-22, 10:33 AM   #5581
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Is that your team? Only one Leinster player!!!

5 South African teams also invited into European () next season competition. I wonder if this is leading to South Africa in the 6 (7) Ns? Could be some monumental new fixtures between English/French teams and the South African sides which we have not seen before.

I watched nearly every Edinburgh home match this season as I had a Season ticket. Including some great games against the South African teams.
For a first season I think the URC has been pretty good. The format is somewhat clunky, but I think it will iron itself out. The standard has been high.

Last edited by Buzzo; 09-06-22 at 10:39 AM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-22, 10:46 AM   #5582
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Is that your team? Only one Leinster player!!!

5 South African teams also invited into European () next season competition. I wonder if this is leading to South Africa in the 6 (7) Ns? Could be some monumental new fixtures between English/French teams and the South African sides which we have not seen before.

I watched nearly every Edinburgh home match this season as I had a Season ticket. Including some great games against the South African teams.
For a first season I think the URC has been pretty good. The format is somewhat clunky, but I think it will iron itself out. The standard has been high.
https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/n...has-been-named

Nothing to do with me! I'd have maybe got one or two Sharks backs in there too.

I think we're still locked into the rugby championship for the foreseeable future and I don't really want that to change either. I don't think this is a good solution for us in the long term but it probably makes a little more sense with the timezones in the NZ and Australia. So, I suppose it's here to stay. We can already see the effects it's having on NZ teams and the All Blacks, some of their coaches have said they need to play a different rhythm than just constant Aus/NZ teams which are same same.

I guess the Champions Cup will provide the type of challenges which can compare to playing the top NZ sides (probably not quite) and it's great that so many teams are involved.

I'm glad they've found a competition for the Cheetahs to be involved in, they deserve something more than Currie Cup and they kind of got shafted with the shift.
Old 09-06-22, 11:01 AM   #5583
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/n...has-been-named

Nothing to do with me! I'd have maybe got one or two Sharks backs in there too.

I think we're still locked into the rugby championship for the foreseeable future and I don't really want that to change either. I don't think this is a good solution for us in the long term but it probably makes a little more sense with the timezones in the NZ and Australia. So, I suppose it's here to stay. We can already see the effects it's having on NZ teams and the All Blacks, some of their coaches have said they need to play a different rhythm than just constant Aus/NZ teams which are same same.

I guess the Champions Cup will provide the type of challenges which can compare to playing the top NZ sides (probably not quite) and it's great that so many teams are involved.

I'm glad they've found a competition for the Cheetahs to be involved in, they deserve something more than Currie Cup and they kind of got shafted with the shift.
Yeah I agree with all of that.

I think South Africa in the 6Ns devalues the World Cup. We lose the uniquness of competitive fixtures between N and S hemisphere teams.

I also think the European change creates some potentially really enticing match ups and should increase both interest and revenue. They can just refer to as 'Champions' and 'Challenge' and drop European. It should really push standards and up quality across all divisions.

Cheetahs 100% deserve to be included and it was a complete shafting for them. Would be good to see the South African teams playing in smaller stadia though as the games I have seen have been in predominantly empty arenas. Maybe it will take time for the format to take hold?
Old 09-06-22, 11:19 AM   #5584
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Yeah I agree with all of that.

I think South Africa in the 6Ns devalues the World Cup. We lose the uniquness of competitive fixtures between N and S hemisphere teams.

I also think the European change creates some potentially really enticing match ups and should increase both interest and revenue. They can just refer to as 'Champions' and 'Challenge' and drop European. It should really push standards and up quality across all divisions.

Cheetahs 100% deserve to be included and it was a complete shafting for them. Would be good to see the South African teams playing in smaller stadia though as the games I have seen have been in predominantly empty arenas. Maybe it will take time for the format to take hold?
If it helps keep more players in South Africa, then it works. I'm hoping that is something we can see in the longer term because whilst it's good to develop great players and have them stunting growth of English/French players by taking places in their leagues, it's not sustainable to be supplying the world with players and still looking at developing your own.

I'm not so worried about the "European" semantics. If we look at some of the football teams which are eligible for the Champions League, it's quite baffling - it's a European competition with some African teams but I can see why some people want it dropped.

The attendance has been a problem for the better part of the last decade. I would like to say it's the covid effect but it's not that new. Unless it's a huge game at night time, it's just not going to draw a big crowd. Ellis Park can have a fairly good attendance and it will look empty for example because it's huge. Obviously it's sold out for most tests but that's something else. I don't think games will be played elsewhere because it's necessary to justify the maintenance and several other financial reasons. For international fixtures and big games, watching rugby in SA can be raucous but for Super Rugby/URC, not really anymore. When the Bulls were winning constantly, Loftus was rocking but even when the Lions were amazing and made 3 consecutive SR finals Ellis Park was less than half full at best.
Old 09-06-22, 11:26 AM   #5585
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
If it helps keep more players in South Africa, then it works. I'm hoping that is something we can see in the longer term because whilst it's good to develop great players and have them stunting growth of English/French players by taking places in their leagues, it's not sustainable to be supplying the world with players and still looking at developing your own.

I'm not so worried about the "European" semantics. If we look at some of the football teams which are eligible for the Champions League, it's quite baffling - it's a European competition with some African teams but I can see why some people want it dropped.

The attendance has been a problem for the better part of the last decade. I would like to say it's the covid effect but it's not that new. Unless it's a huge game at night time, it's just not going to draw a big crowd. Ellis Park can have a fairly good attendance and it will look empty for example because it's huge. Obviously it's sold out for most tests but that's something else. I don't think games will be played elsewhere because it's necessary to justify the maintenance and several other financial reasons. For international fixtures and big games, watching rugby in SA can be raucous but for Super Rugby/URC, not really anymore. When the Bulls were winning constantly, Loftus was rocking but even when the Lions were amazing and made 3 consecutive SR finals Ellis Park was less than half full at best.
Again I agree.

I think it will definitely help the drain of South African players to Europe. It may take a while but it feels like a pretty seismic shift in domestic Rugby in Europe has happened over the past few years.

The reality is that most clubs are run on financially unsustainable models, and unless we just want to watch the provinces in Ireland play 1 team in Wales, 1 in Scotland about 6 in the Galagher Prem and the same in France then we have to find viable solutions.

Reports that over 100 players will be out of work and out of contract from the Galgher Prem this summer due to the salary cap, but remove the cap and some of the clubs wont survive.

With Rugby not having the financial pull of football, creative solutions always have to be sought.
Old 11-06-22, 09:46 AM   #5586
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Leinster lost to Bulls…! Unusually tough couple of weeks for them.
Old 18-06-22, 07:21 PM   #5587
Irishnev
Paisley

Watched the super rugby final - Crusaders again…… Ireland playing a three test series in NZ this summer….. going to get a hammering!
Old 29-06-22, 08:49 AM   #5588
Irishnev
Paisley

Watching the Irish mid week side getting thumped by the Maori……… it’s a different game they play down there
Old 03-07-22, 08:26 AM   #5589
Irishnev
Paisley

The NH sides all lost yesterday - Ireland played “well” in patches but every mistake was punished severely and they were well beaten in the end. England lost to 14 man Australia and only a couple of late tries but any gloss on the score line…….. Wales robbed at the death and just saw Scotland lost also…..

est1892 > General > General Sports