It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 28-04-22, 12:08 AM   #1
topscorer
Dalglish

Head injury rule

I'm a little concerned that some players and clubs are already cynically using the new head injury to break up play and momentum.

I think this is an important rule to help protect players so the rule may be protected rigorously.

The clubs and players that are already starting to use this rule in gamesmanship ways are a disgrace.

Not sure what the solution is but maybe every stop of play for a head injury should automatically be VAR reviewed and if it's simulation a straight red card given.

The integrity of the rule must be protected before fans and pundits start to turn against it.

Any thoughts?
topscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 28-04-22, 12:13 AM   #2
baitman
Daddy day care

If a player goes down with a head injury that's bad enough to make them roll around and be near death, whether real or fake, they need to go off the pitch for five minutes to be assessed.
If it's found to be real then the team can take him off and make a quick substitution and get back to a full team asap.
That'll fuck up the play acting twats.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Fabinho
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-22, 12:25 AM   #3
Liverpool
Paisley

they definitely need to go off even for 10 seconds, joke of a system at the moment
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-22, 12:30 AM   #4
Mr Pink
Fagan

Great topic for a thread, was thinking about this after the Everton game. I think itís not something you can have VAR look at really- like richarlison headed the ball and went down with a head injury the other day- as clear as it was that heís faking it, donít see how VAR can intervene, and say that heís definitely simulating it.

I like the idea that if the ref stops play, for an injured player, that they have to leave the field to be assessed. And in cases where itís a head injury/ risk of concussion, they should have to be assessed by an independent medical staff member, as well as their teams medical staff, before being allowed back into the pitch. I think this should be in place for players welfare, but also would stop players from play acting if they thought theyíd have to leave the pitch for a few minutes.

Thereís also potential for players to abuse the concussion substitute rule by faking it, if all subs were already made, etc.

Iíd also like to see the media highlight it as an issue, and name and shame players who were clearly doing it, namely richarlison.. you have someone taking advantage of a rule designed to keep players safe, and all they can talk about after the game is whether that diving cunt gordon should have had a penaltyÖ
Old 28-04-22, 12:39 AM   #5
Liverpool
Paisley

I think the thing is the rule is in place to protect the players and 99% of the time its genuine and you wouldn't want to punish the majority.

There was a time in the second half vs the Eve when the pigeon went down holding his head and the ref carried on knowing he was faking but what if he wasn't?
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-22, 01:27 AM   #6
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
I think the thing is the rule is in place to protect the players and 99% of the time its genuine and you wouldn't want to punish the majority.

There was a time in the second half vs the Eve when the pigeon went down holding his head and the ref carried on knowing he was faking but what if he wasn't?
The poor pigeon

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Fabinho
Old 28-04-22, 02:40 AM   #7
topscorer
Dalglish

I suppose one issue is if a player has to go off when play is stopped for a head injury it could have the reverse effect of someone that's really taken a hit to the head acting like everything is fine and getting up fast so they don't go a man down.

Head injuries can have long term effects that aren't immediately seen.

I think that's why the rule was put in place as it is now. So that players aren't pressured by clubs to fake that they're fine.

It's an honor system that's already being exploited by the very people it's designed to protect.

I wonder how much the club/s have influenced players to exploit this rule.

It's a disgrace that we need to have this conversation already.

I don't want to change it in any way that could negatively affect the safety of the players but it's already clear that the rule won't work as it is now.
Old 28-04-22, 06:27 AM   #8
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by topscorer View Post
I'm a little concerned that some players and clubs are already cynically using the new head injury to break up play and momentum.

I think this is an important rule to help protect players so the rule may be protected rigorously.

The clubs and players that are already starting to use this rule in gamesmanship ways are a disgrace.

Not sure what the solution is but maybe every stop of play for a head injury should automatically be VAR reviewed and if it's simulation a straight red card given.

The integrity of the rule must be protected before fans and pundits start to turn against it.

Any thoughts?
Another area where rugby is far ahead - they have HIA (Head Injury Assessment) protocols. If there is a sign of a head injury the player is taken off (you can replace him for the duration of the assessment) and assessed by a third party doctor so no shenanigans can happen.

Itís well established in the game now
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-22, 06:29 AM   #9
Exiled_red
Paisley

I don't think VAR can do anything, while Richarlison was clearly acting the prick. I think most times there was contact to the head/face however minimal, except on occasion where there was a tangle of legs/trip. but I imagine he would claim he caught the player's knee or hit the ground in his fall. I don't think many players would be stupid enough to go down holding their head after no contact. I think it's like the pen claims in most cases there is some contact but the player makes the most of it, or goes looking for some minor contact.

What happened to the rule where if the trainer/physio came on the player had to go off?
Old 28-04-22, 06:30 AM   #10
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Another area where rugby is far ahead - they have HIA (Head Injury Assessment) protocols. If there is a sign of a head injury the player is taken off (you can replace him for the duration of the assessment) and assessed by a third party doctor so no shenanigans can happen.

It’s well established in the game now
Rugby league over here is onto that protocol too & a mandatory week off is often enforced. I think the club gets 10 mins to assess the player with the free interchange rule.
Old 28-04-22, 09:44 AM   #11
labourRed
Paisley

Yeah, that's two games on the trot where players have looked to exploit the head injury for sportsmanship gains.

I don't agree with VAR intervening and i don't agree with a rolling sub either. Rugby and football are very different sports, managers already won't sub a player into a team defending a set piece as happened last night for nearly ten minutes. You can't penalise genuine head injuries.

The Villarreal one last night was a very obvious simulation and perhaps you could make a case for VAR pulling him up on simulation but it doesn't sit right with my either - maybe its the lesser of two evils.

On a separate note, i saw Steve Thompson on BBC breakfast this morning flogging his new book and putting the spotlight on his own and sporting brain damage. Which is why i'd be careful of penalising genuine head injuries in any way.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-22, 10:29 AM   #12
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

Itís well established in the game now
Yep

The difference with Rugby is that the moral code is so respected that you would just never have a player feigning head injury (bloodgate aside) itís not an acceptable behaviour.
Old 28-04-22, 11:04 AM   #13
Maxiedge
Shankly

Not much can be done to stop this from happening imo. There is no way to say for sure someone is feigning/genuinely dazed or concussed. So many caveats. Rugby is more stop-start so that protocol fits better. If players want to fake head injuries to waste time, then that is on their moral conscience.

Last edited by Maxiedge; 28-04-22 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling!
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-22, 12:11 PM   #14
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Yep

The difference with Rugby is that the moral code is so respected that you would just never have a player feigning head injury (bloodgate aside) itís not an acceptable behaviour.
Those pesky English clubs Buzzo
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-22, 02:54 PM   #15
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Those pesky English clubs Buzzo
Old 28-04-22, 03:19 PM   #16
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
Not much can be done to stop this from happening imo. There is no way to say for sure someone is feigning/genuinely dazed or concussed. So many caveats. Rugby is more stop-start so that protocol fits better. If players want to fake head injuries to waste time, then that is on their moral conscience.
Like I said, just treat every "injury" as real, and get them off the field asap for medical assessment.
No more than a minute stoppage, then the club can either send the cheat back on once 5 minutes have elapsed, or sub the injured player immediately.
This will soon stop the play acting.
Do it for all play acting too, not just head injuries, sort all these wankers who roll around like they've been disembowelled.

Old 28-04-22, 03:22 PM   #17
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

The weird thing is that refs are stopping play for injuries when the player isn’t even on pitch, and worse, when they return to the pitch to go down. Unless it’s the keeper, the game should proceed regardless.
Old 28-04-22, 04:04 PM   #18
rudedog
Pig hater

The time a ball is actually in play for most premier league games is around 55 minutes.

Surely a better system would be to just stop the clock every time the ball is out of play and make the duration of games shorter to accommodate this (something like 60 mins).

It would still take around 90 mins to complete a game of football but would remove the primary advantage teams try to gain by intentionally wasting time (shortening the time the ball is in play).
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-22, 08:10 PM   #19
topscorer
Dalglish

It's not just the time wasted though, it breaks momentum.
Old 28-04-22, 08:41 PM   #20
Mr Pink
Fagan

I think the thing about head injuries is not just that it wastes time (that could be sorted easily by adding on more time, if they wanted to), but also that they actually stop play when itís a head injury. Great rule if itís genuine, but extra frustrating when itís not genuine.

I think the main issue isnít even that itís wasting time/stopping momentum, but more that the more that this happens, the more likely that a genuine emergency wonít be given the urgency it deserves.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 28-04-22, 10:12 PM   #21
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
The time a ball is actually in play for most premier league games is around 55 minutes.

Surely a better system would be to just stop the clock every time the ball is out of play and make the duration of games shorter to accommodate this (something like 60 mins).

It would still take around 90 mins to complete a game of football but would remove the primary advantage teams try to gain by intentionally wasting time (shortening the time the ball is in play).
Why are they not playing a full 90 minutes then, so much for extra time...
There needs to be a a watchman

Old 28-04-22, 10:22 PM   #22
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Because broadcasters and fans need a more reliable match length. Games are generally about 92 to 96 minutes long, and it’s quite contrived that way. If you play actual time account for stoppages, nobody will have a clue which train to book to get home.
Old 28-04-22, 10:30 PM   #23
SB
Paisley

Bloody train commuters

est1892 > Football > General Football