It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 25-05-22, 07:50 PM   #81
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
As much as we might deny it, Trent has been targeted this year, he’s perceived as our weak link defensively, so I expect Madrid to do the same, Modric to Vinicius will be the most attempted pass imo. How confident are we that a) Trent to keep up with Vinicius jr and stop him getting balls into Benzema, and b) that, simultaneously, Trent will be able to overlap and play his attacking role? Feels like the result of that battle could be the difference.
It's just one of a number of key battles really though isn't it. I think Trent can handle himself.

I would suspect they're equally worried about Mane, Salah and Diaz
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 25-05-22, 07:58 PM   #82
Montana
Dalglish

As good as Real are in midfield and attack, they are weak defensively against high tempo, pressing teams. Militao especially is an accident waiting to happen and Carvajal often gets caught out at the back post. I expect Diaz, Mane and Salah to rip them apart if they're on form. They won't be able to cope with us.

Wouldn't be surprised if we beat them 3-2 or even 4-2 of Thiago plays
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-22, 09:59 PM   #83
Tribute
Shankly

Be nice for us not to make hard work of a final for once, but can’t see it happening. Real will let us have early possession and look to target The space behind Trent on the break. If they score first and early, they’ll sit deep and make us play higher and more aggressive, whilst trying to nick another on the break.

Their worst case scenario is a couple of early goals for us. They won’t have a game plan and their attacking intent will leave them open at the back for a third or fourth…

I wish it was all so simple…

8pm kick off so I’ll be half cut since 4pm in all likelihood…
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-22, 02:27 AM   #84
Mr Pink
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Was about this time last year many were talking about how disappointing Thiago had been. He’s now absolutely pivotal to us winning the CL Final

He had a difficult first season, with that horrific injury in the derby and covid etc… but this time last year, think most people were praising the guy- he was instrumental in our awesome form, to finish the season strong and qualify for the champions league.
Old 26-05-22, 12:21 PM   #85
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
It's just one of a number of key battles really though isn't it. I think Trent can handle himself.

I would suspect they're equally worried about Mane, Salah and Diaz
he has a habit of getting sucked into the middle when defending and losing headers at thew back post. You can bet your arse Ancelotti will know all about it too.

He will also leave huge gaps at the back for Vinicius to run into. Just got to hope our midfield and Konate/Matip can cover quick enough

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-22, 01:25 PM   #86
frank the tank
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
He had a difficult first season, with that horrific injury in the derby and covid etc… but this time last year, think most people were praising the guy- he was instrumental in our awesome form, to finish the season strong and qualify for the champions league.
:hands hake:

Him and Fab in the midfield for the last 10 or so games of the league season last year were both epic.

Thiago has been brilliant for us whenever he has been fit. His debut he got MOTM ffs and only played half the game???
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-22, 01:28 PM   #87
Mr Pink
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Thiago has been brilliant for us whenever he has been fit. His debut he got MOTM ffs and only played half the game???
and set an all time PL record for most successful passes in 45 min, or something like that.
Old 26-05-22, 02:37 PM   #88
Paul12
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
...if Thiago plays
I just can't see us gambling on the fitness of two players and Fab would frankly be a gamble so it is one or other as a starter I think.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-22, 02:44 PM   #89
Sus
Benitez

5 subs though and the last game of the season, to be fair. If 1 or even 2 break down, might not be the end of the game
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-22, 02:58 PM   #90
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

If Thiago comes through this week unscathed I think both will start.
Old 26-05-22, 03:54 PM   #91
Shaggy
Unidentified Rascal

Fucking Bale and Hazard, presumed dead for the last 6 months...

Old 26-05-22, 04:18 PM   #92
ronanm
Shankly

Bale is sht
Old 26-05-22, 04:25 PM   #93
BigChief
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanm View Post
Bale is sht
Except for one day every three years. The cnut.
Old 26-05-22, 04:58 PM   #94
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah turns up for the big occasions. That said. No chance he starts.
Old 27-05-22, 12:59 AM   #95
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
If Thiago comes through this week unscathed I think both will start.
Yep with the 5 subs allowed I totally agree.
Old 27-05-22, 01:53 PM   #96
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I had a dream last night, during which it appears I was selected to play in the CL final. Selected may not be quite right, I 'appeared' right in the middle of the match. Second half.

My dream involved being stood about in CM chatting to Thiago (nice bloke) during a break in play. He seemed utterly unphased or surprised by my involvement. The final appeared to be taking place on some sort of massive battle field, meaning no other players were even within sight, but the game was well underway. Thiago had an idea that if I hid in a shed, near the edge of the Madrid penalty area he would be able to find me with the ball, I pop out and slam home the winner thus winning us the CL. Easy. Great plan

Then I woke up.

Upon waking I have been wondering.

A. How will I know the ball is coming if I am hiding inside a small shed (we had already constructed the shed, or it was already there)?

B. How will I ensure I stay onside?

Feels good that tactically we were able to adapt, and gives me hope for tomorrow.

YNWA

Last edited by Buzzo; 27-05-22 at 01:57 PM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-22, 02:29 PM   #97
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 27-05-22, 02:37 PM   #98
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 27-05-22, 02:46 PM   #99
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
The wording of that worries me.
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-22, 03:19 PM   #100
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Chill.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 27-05-22, 03:20 PM   #101
SB
Paisley

The matching outfits worries me more
Old 27-05-22, 05:35 PM   #102
rudedog
Pig hater

Quote:
Jurgen Klopp has delivered positive updates on midfielders Thiago and Fabinho, revealing both are in contention to feature in Saturday’s Champions League final against Real Madrid.

Thiago had been struggling with an achilles injury leading up to the final in Paris but has now rejoined full training.

The Spain international trained on Thursday and Friday so is now expected to be named in Liverpool’s matchday squad for the showdown with Real Madrid.

Fabinho meanwhile suffered a muscle problem against Aston Villa on May 10.

Klopp said of their fitness: “It looks good for both Thiago and Fabinho.

“Thiago trained yesterday with the team, trained today and we’ll go from there.”
https://theathletic.com/news/liverpo.../5nMrcoBFUfhL/

rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-22, 10:24 AM   #103
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

How the fuck are we supposed to get through the next 10hrs
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-22, 11:12 AM   #104
rudedog
Pig hater

Alcohol
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-22, 11:12 AM   #105
banditos
Rocket Surgeon

Booze
banditos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-22, 11:17 AM   #106
Sus
Benitez

Exactly!!! At least it's 6pm here in Malaysia, so have started on the beers
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-22, 11:41 AM   #107
Harv
Randy Marsh

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-22, 11:46 AM   #108
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
Alcohol
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditos View Post
Booze
Waaaay too early today for that
Old 28-05-22, 11:47 AM   #109
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

He looks broken in other ways though
Old 28-05-22, 11:48 AM   #110
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

How the fuck are we supposed to get through the next 8hrs
Old 28-05-22, 11:49 AM   #111
frank the tank
Paisley

Watch the games of the road to Paris
Old 28-05-22, 11:50 AM   #112
frank the tank
Paisley

Oh........ And loads of alcohol
Old 28-05-22, 01:05 PM   #113
Irishnev
Paisley

Can someone post the text of this please

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-22, 01:14 PM   #114
Irishnev
Paisley

Old 28-05-22, 01:14 PM   #115
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Can someone post the text of this please

https://twitter.com/irishtimessport/...13558504243201
Ok boss

Quote:
Ken Early: Liverpool looking to prey on Real Madrid anxiety in intriguing Paris match

Amid the rituals of the build-up to the Champions League final, routine now to Liverpool’s players as they prepare for their third in five seasons, there was at least one unfamiliar sight: Jürgen Klopp apparently lost for words in a press conference.

A German journalist had noted that this final should have been taking place in Saint Petersburg, until Uefa moved the game to Paris in response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine - the country where Klopp’s Liverpool played their first Champions League final in 2018. Did Klopp think much about the war, or is there no time for him to think about anything except football?

Klopp admitted that the final had been dominating his thoughts this week, and from the length of the pause that followed it was clear that he hadn’t expected to be asked to speak about the war. But as he tells his players every day, it’s all about how you react. So after giving it some thought, he reacted.

“That the game still happens and that it’s not in St Petersburg maybe is exactly the message Russia should get: life goes on, even when you try to destroy it. We play this final for all the people, but as well for the people of Ukraine. We do it for you, 100 per cent.”

The questions in Paris kept circling back to Kyiv four years ago, when Liverpool lost 3-1 to Real Madrid. Mo Salah has talked about his desire for revenge, but Klopp made his peace with that defeat long ago. “The circumstances hit us. We couldn’t react. We couldn’t react because it was a long season, we arrived pretty much on three wheels. Players came back from injuries, key players, our goalie had a concussion - it was proven afterwards, not during - and so things happened.”

Klopp radiated the conviction that on Saturday Liverpool, boosted by the return to fitness of Fabinho and Thiago, will put up a far more formidable challenge. “I want to be us in this game, being completely ourselves. If we are on the top of our game we are difficult to play, really difficult to play. That’s my only concern at this moment.”

What impressed you about Klopp and the Liverpool full backs, Andy Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold, was their sense of calm. Alexander-Arnold knows that one of Madrid’s main attacking tactics will be to target the space behind him with quick balls for their flying left winger, Vinícius. The combination of Toni Kroos’s passes and Vinícius’s sprints gave Alexander-Arnold one of the hardest nights of his career when Madrid beat Liverpool 3-1 in last season’s quarter-final.

Asked how he felt about the prospect of reliving that humiliation, he seemed utterly serene. “Vinícius is an outstanding player. He’s an exciting player to watch. But we have a job to do - as individuals, as a collective, as a group - to go out there and win. The individual battles will be part of that, but it’s a team game. The team wins at the end of the day.”

Carlo Ancelotti is expert in projecting an air of calm, but this has not been one of the calmer weeks in the history of Real Madrid. Liverpool’s opponents have been struggling to process their historic jilting by Kylian Mbappé, the intended successor to Cristiano Ronaldo, whom they have been trying to sign for 10 years.

From Madrid’s perspective, what Mbappé has done is incomprehensible. It simply does not compute. Madrid’s self-image is that they are the biggest, the best, the greatest, the most glorious, the apex predator, the acknowledged pinnacle, the club to whom no player ever says no. Mbappé has demolished that. His refusal to sign presents Madrid with more than just a football problem. It strikes at the core of their self-esteem and confronts them with evidence of their relative decline.

Their current era of Champions League domination goes back to 1998, when Predrag Mijatović’s goal defeated Juventus in Amsterdam: if they win on Saturday night it will be eight titles in 24 years. But before then there were 30 years in which Madrid was a football backwater. Three decades of European campaigns that produced just a couple of Uefa Cups. Is it possible that Madrid could again regress towards such mediocrity?

Madrid’s predicament resonates with the growing status anxiety of the Spanish game. Since the Cruyff Dream Team era at Barcelona, La Liga has been home to the world’s greatest players, defying the greater economic power of the Premier League. Up-and-coming talents like Cesc Fábregas, Fernando Torres, David Silva and Sergio Agüero moved from Spain to England, but the biggest stars only ever went in the opposite direction: David Beckham, Michael Owen, Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale, Luis Suárez, Philippe Coutinho, Eden Hazard.

Now the best young players are signing for petrodollar-funded clubs in other leagues, and Madrid face an identity crisis. The Champions League has provided an outlet for catharsis. Having defeated the petro-clubs in the previous rounds, they have the chance to reassert their alpha credentials by putting Liverpool in their place. The off-field psychodrama will bring extra motivation, and also extra pressure.

Liverpool, too, may face upheaval after the final, with persistent rumours that Sadio Mané is leaving for Bayern coming up in the press conference. “Sadio’s in the shape of his life,” said Klopp. “It’s a joy to watch him in training and in the games. It’s not the first time in my career that before decisive games, Bayern Munich rumours are coming up.”

Klopp was probably referring back to 2013, when he was the coach at Dortmund. Two days before Dortmund were due to play a Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid, the news somehow leaked out that Bayern were signing Dortmund’s best young player, Mario Götze. A bad memory, but maybe a good omen: Dortmund hammered Madrid 4-1.
Old 28-05-22, 03:05 PM   #116
brightred
Befuddled

Have you started drinking yet Norbs?
I've had 4 beers so off for a nap now.Tapas restaurant booked for me, the wife and the 2 boys. Home then for wine, the match and.........
Old 28-05-22, 03:10 PM   #117
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Ok boss
Old 28-05-22, 03:22 PM   #118
memzey
Fagan

Nerves kicking in now. Fuck, I hate this part.
Old 28-05-22, 03:34 PM   #119
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightred View Post
Have you started drinking yet Norbs?
I've had 4 beers so off for a nap now.Tapas restaurant booked for me, the wife and the 2 boys. Home then for wine, the match and.........
Not yet mate, been concreting

You lot are an hour behind us too aren't you
Old 28-05-22, 03:41 PM   #120
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

No drinking for me tonight, even if we win!

Having a rare glass of wine now to wash up my late lunch.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC