It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 12-02-19, 03:56 PM   #3401
labourRed
Shankly

In fairness I've been to a few six nations games across Cardiff, Rome, Dublin, Edinburgh. Rome is ridiculously civil, you'd be forgiven for thinking there wasn't a game on bar a few extra shirts around. Cardiff, Dublin and Edinburgh in order of chaos to half decent is my experience. Only been to Scots/Irish and Welsh games. Wales v Scotland in Cardiff typically looks like a fucking war zone by the end of the night.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 10:25 PM   #3402
Cormack74
Shankly

Mako V out for 10 weeks. That won't do England's 6 nations tilt or Sarries CC aspirations any favours.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-19, 01:48 PM   #3403
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Ryan Wilson our for tournament, Huw Jones out for tournament, Stuart Hogg being monitored.

Nel, Fagerson, R. Gray, Skinner, Wilson, Watson, Barclay, Jones, Taylor, Hogg, Scott, Bennett

All genuine shouts and some guaranteed starts there.

Too much Rugby means we don’t get to see the best players in the big games. Two or three injuries is obviously fairly expected but we are seeing international squads absolutely decimated by injury

Last edited by Buzzo; 14-02-19 at 01:51 PM.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-19, 09:57 PM   #3404
Cormack74
Shankly

I was watching Brian O'Driscoll's Shoulder to Shoulder documentary (again) last night - try and see it if you haven't already - and marvelling at the difference in size between players twenty five or thirty years ago and now. Some of the 70/80/early 90's guys, notably the wingers, would have struggled to have reached eleven stone. And these blokes were Internationals. I doubt there's a player in the top league of any rugby playing nation on earth these days who's less than 14.5.

So now guys are so big some impacts are effectively like car crashes with injuries as severe.

One pundit (I've forgotten who) that I read recently, went on to make the point that the use of replacements was far more limited back then too. This meant that you had to have guys who weren't so big that they ran out of puff at 55 or 60 minutes - they had to have the capacity to play 80 minutes and their build reflected that. Nowadays we'll see the entire front row being changed in the second half.

So maybe that's the answer - either go back to limiting replacements or introduce weight limits for players. Much as I like seeing the the big lads in action smashing into each other, modern rules (which make for a faster more open game) together with lighter players might make for some cracking fast flowing rugby.

Of course it will never happen and they'll mess around trying to reduce injuries by changing some of the rules so eventually IMO we'll just end up with a game that looks nothing like the one we enjoy currently.
Old 14-02-19, 10:08 PM   #3405
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Totally agree with that. The game has changed and in some respects is still struggling to sort itself out since professionalism. At its best, it is such a phenomenal sport, but, the injury levels are unacceptable, and we are yet to truly see the repercussions of some of the head injuries. I also agree with the replacements, and the 'finishers' has to be something that is looked at.

Just to confirm how far the game has moved (I'm sure I have posted this before) but take a look at the infamous Haka ciirca 1970. This certainly also demonstrates the change in body shape over the last 30 years.

Intimidating

Old 14-02-19, 11:33 PM   #3406
Cormack74
Shankly

Amateur days (sigh), not bothered about trying to psyche out the opponents.

And a profound difference as you said - there's some leg definition from running around but nothing like the frames of modern players. Legs aside, some of those guys almost look malnourished.
Old 15-02-19, 10:09 AM   #3407
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Totally agree with that. The game has changed and in some respects is still struggling to sort itself out since professionalism. At its best, it is such a phenomenal sport, but, the injury levels are unacceptable, and we are yet to truly see the repercussions of some of the head injuries. I also agree with the replacements, and the 'finishers' has to be something that is looked at.

Just to confirm how far the game has moved (I'm sure I have posted this before) but take a look at the infamous Haka ciirca 1970. This certainly also demonstrates the change in body shape over the last 30 years.

Intimidating

Haka 1973 - YouTube
that's amazing!

The pale blonde bloke looks like The Boy From Space. And who is the little mustachioed chap at the end?
Saveloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-19, 11:47 AM   #3408
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

The comment.. "Nobody will convince me that this isn't a Monty Python Sketch."
Old 15-02-19, 01:02 PM   #3409
Rigadon
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post

The comment.. "Nobody will convince me that this isn't a Monty Python Sketch."
Old 15-02-19, 09:35 PM   #3410
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveloy View Post
that's amazing!

The pale blonde bloke looks like The Boy From Space. And who is the little mustachioed chap at the end?

I think that was Sid (Syd?) Going, a brilliant chippy scrum half.
Old 17-02-19, 06:25 PM   #3411
Cormack74
Shankly

Meant to post this the other day when my memory cogs first turned. Going was first in the line the last one was Grant Batty.

When I checked Wiki to make sure I'd remembered his name correctly I found this quote from Chris Laidlaw who played for the AB's about the same time. Batty was: 'small, stunted and radiating a single message to all around him: "Don't mess with me or I'll punch your lights out."

He was five feet five by the way.
Old 17-02-19, 11:21 PM   #3412
Irishnev
Shankly

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-19, 11:25 PM   #3413
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Finn Russell off with a HIA for Racing today
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM   #3414
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Meant to post this the other day when my memory cogs first turned. Going was first in the line the last one was Grant Batty.

When I checked Wiki to make sure I'd remembered his name correctly I found this quote from Chris Laidlaw who played for the AB's about the same time. Batty was: 'small, stunted and radiating a single message to all around him: "Don't mess with me or I'll punch your lights out."

He was five feet five by the way.
Saveloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:30 AM   #3415
Irishnev
Shankly

Jaysus Buzzo...l

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:21 AM   #3416
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Unreal tournament for us injuries wise.

It’s a testament to the improvement in Scottish Rugby that we can get a competitive team out at all. Considering this level of injuries say, 5-10 years ago leaves me shaking

But I’d say our tournament is done. We need to get these guys fit for the WC.

est1892 > General > General Sports