It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 23-01-21, 12:25 AM   #8001
labourRed
Shankly

That's a change of tune from saying the club was well run from just a few weeks ago. I agree with Dan this could end up getting messy, especially if fourth isn't achieved at the end of the year. And by messy, I mean for FSG if they double down on silliness.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-21, 12:28 AM   #8002
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

I get the frustration. But where do people think the money is coming from? We have already had to push most of the money for Thaigo and Jota back, we can't do that forever.
Old 23-01-21, 01:04 AM   #8003
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Nothing article but sensationalist headline by Maddock here. Klopp would never want to be seen as having a pop as it’s the situation and completely understandable during those times.

I watched the interview and it’s nowhere what he Maddock’s slant on it.
Old 23-01-21, 01:05 AM   #8004
Fredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
Clearly fsg dont care about winning the league this season because that's going to be the cost. After all he's done for the club, a fucking CB isn't too much of an ask.

Ridiculous.
Old 23-01-21, 01:11 AM   #8005
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Nothing article but sensationalist headline by Maddock here. Klopp would never want to be seen as having a pop as it’s the situation and completely understandable during those times.

I watched the interview and it’s nowhere what he Maddock’s slant on it.
He wouldn't have wrote the headline.

He's a journalist not a sub editor / editor
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-21, 01:15 AM   #8006
Fredo

Jürgen Klopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
He wouldn't have wrote the headline.

He's a journalist not a sub editor / editor

The general gist of that article is wrong.

Last edited by Fredo; 23-01-21 at 08:51 AM.
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-21, 01:39 AM   #8007
Rafa Justice
Benitez

Quote:
Clearly fsg dont care about winning the league this season because that's going to be the cost. After all he's done for the club, a fucking CB isn't too much of an ask.
Their asset will be less valuable with no CL football. See how they like that.
Rafa Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-21, 01:54 AM   #8008
Pepe79
Shankly

Of course he wants a CB, but from his presser it doesn't seem like he's blaming FSG at all for not being able to get one under the circumstances.

Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-21, 08:49 AM   #8009
Fredo

Jürgen Klopp

Yep
Old 23-01-21, 10:10 AM   #8010
Fredo

Better article here.

Quote:
Jürgen Klopp has declared he will not cry like a five-year-old if Liverpool fail to sign the centre-back he would ideally want in the last 10 days of the transfer window.

Klopp, who has paired the midfielders Fabinho and Jordan Henderson in the middle of his defence recently, has conceded he would prefer to get reinforcements to cover for the injured Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez and in the frequent absences of Joël Matip.

But the financial effects of the coronavirus pandemic have limited Liverpool’s spending power and Klopp is adamant he will neither throw a childish tantrum nor use it as an excuse for their recent slide.
'A punch in the face': Klopp takes blame as Burnley rip up Anfield record
Read more

“I am not a five-year-old kid any more and if I don’t get what I want I start crying,” he said. “Most of the time in my life I didn’t get what I want, to be honest, so we are all pretty much used to that. I am responsible for a big part of this football club but there are people who are responsible for the whole thing and I cannot make their decision. I know they are with us and I know they want to support us and they do.

“What we have to do is improve the football in the decisive areas with this squad. That’s my job, and not sitting here and being disappointed or frustrated with some decisions. I am not. Of course, we know what we would do in an ideal world but the world is not ideal and not only for us. So we have to deal with the situation.”

Liverpool are on their longest Premier League drought in 21 years after failing to find the net in 438 minutes, but Klopp refused to attribute the lack of goals to the makeshift look of his side as he said that their troubled January has not altered their plans for the remainder of the window. He still has not replaced Dejan Lovren, who joined Zenit St Petersburg in July.

“Now we talk about a centre-half. Yes, it would help: 100%. Would we score more goals with a centre half? I am not sure. Would it give us a little bit more stability in specific moments? Yes, probably. But we don’t go and say: ‘If we don’t get this or that, then we cannot perform.’ It would sound like an excuse, and the last thing we are looking for is that.”

He denied complacency had been a factor in Liverpool’s decline: “It is not that in the moment we win the league and I put my feet on the desk and think that’s it and smoke a cigar and think: ‘Well done, from now on everything will work without any doing of mine.’”
Old 23-01-21, 11:55 AM   #8011
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Justice View Post
Their asset will be less valuable with no CL football. See how they like that.
it certain seems a big risk considering how competitive and unpredictable the league is this season.
Old 23-01-21, 12:03 PM   #8012
danperkins

It would be naïve to think Klopp isn't pissed off at not being able to sign a CB, he blatantly knows the harmony of the team is off having to play Fab & Hendo back there.... all us norms can even see it. Of course he has to tow the line when speaking publicly, he is a classy guy that keeps things in house but I would hazard a guess he is fucked off about it behind the scenes. Being the competitive man that he is, I would be surprised if he wasn't. He has cut a frustrated and spikey man the last few weeks which we have never really seen, I really did think this window we would have funds sanctioned to sort out the CB issue.
Old 23-01-21, 12:16 PM   #8013
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Quote:
It would be naïve to think Klopp isn't pissed off at not being able to sign a CB, he blatantly knows the harmony of the team is off having to play Fab & Hendo back there.... all us norms can even see it. Of course he has to tow the line when speaking publicly, he is a classy guy that keeps things in house but I would hazard a guess he is fucked off about it behind the scenes. Being the competitive man that he is, I would be surprised if he wasn't. He has cut a frustrated and spikey man the last few weeks which we have never really seen, I really did think this window we would have funds sanctioned to sort out the CB issue.
Why? Where has the money suddenly come from? We still have no fans attending games, money is owed back to TV broadcasters and the PL still hasn't been paid in full from overseas.

(I'm not sure if the last part has impacted us or the PL taking a hit).

We've delayed payment on Thiago and Jota, we haven't generated extra revenue and will be making further losses the longer Covid goes on.

Please explain why you thought we would have money? There is no logic to your posts. You sound like an angry child / the twitter idiots.

EDIT:
I've seen people also say "Just sell 'X'"... TO WHO? Very few teams have any money to spend, some are worrying for their survival as a club. France for example has seen teams struggle more than the UK as their revenue is structured differently and a larger % is generated through bums on seats. This is a global pandemic, the negative impact economically is so obvious it hurts when people 'expect' money arrives out of thin fucking air.

Last edited by Robbie-9-Fowler; 23-01-21 at 12:19 PM.
Robbie-9-Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-21, 12:19 PM   #8014
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:

Whlst we have seen spikey Klopp in the past, both in his early days with us and also during his time with Dortmund, I do think the fact we are all living very different lives at present has to take a toll on people and that is shown outwardly.

His personal life will have been impacted upon for almost a year now (just like most of the rest of us) and the one area of his life where things were almost flawless for the past two years, the results on the pitch, is now going through a rough patch so hardly surprising things are not all puppies and kittens.

I also agree with those that are saying the "article" is trying to make an awful lot more out of what Klopp said than waht is actually there and there is a whole heap of reading between the lines going on and on other sites lots of talk about how people need to mobilize against the owners.

The main reason our rough patch seems so bad to us is down to the high we have come down from to reach that rough patch. Other teams have similar veins of form but because they generally have not been sweeping all before them for 24 months prior to that it tends not to stand out.

Where we are right now is at the level more or less of all the other big teams in the league, it feels like a disaster but we are still very much in a position where a few wins in a row suddenly would have the media talking about title challenges again.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-21, 02:50 PM   #8015
Fredo

Quote:
Come off it.
Old 23-01-21, 02:52 PM   #8016
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie-9-Fowler View Post
Why? Where has the money suddenly come from? We still have no fans attending games, money is owed back to TV broadcasters and the PL still hasn't been paid in full from overseas.

(I'm not sure if the last part has impacted us or the PL taking a hit).

We've delayed payment on Thiago and Jota, we haven't generated extra revenue and will be making further losses the longer Covid goes on.

Please explain why you thought we would have money? There is no logic to your posts. You sound like an angry child / the twitter idiots.

EDIT:
I've seen people also say "Just sell 'X'"... TO WHO? Very few teams have any money to spend, some are worrying for their survival as a club. France for example has seen teams struggle more than the UK as their revenue is structured differently and a larger % is generated through bums on seats. This is a global pandemic, the negative impact economically is so obvious it hurts when people 'expect' money arrives out of thin fucking air.
don't be a condescending mate.

FSG are worth billions, they could easily swing a signing but they are about business of football and I get why they don't want to spend money. Klopp admitted he wanted a CB, they've looked at options and we would be better off with another CB but he obviously got told no. Would he publicly say "I'm pissed off I didn't get the money for a vital signing & this could be the defining moment in our season? No, he is not a fucking idiot who would publicly criticize the owners or players for that matter, it's not his style he has a bit of class. What he says behind closed doors is a different story.

Football is going nowhere and all prem clubs will be back to earning big money in the next 12 months. Getting in a CB is short term pain for long term gain imo. It could be the difference between winning the league and not winning the league, between winning the champs league and not winning the champs league, it could be the difference between no champs league money vs shit loads of champs league revenue, it could be the difference between keeping top players and losing top players, it could be the difference between playing in top tier comps vs losing top our top players as they don't want to play in the Europa league on a Thursday night against Ludogrets, it could be the difference between getting a top tier signing vs getting refused by a top tier signing.

Simply put, it is a risk and imo an unnecessary one.

Last edited by danperkins; 23-01-21 at 03:04 PM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-21, 02:57 PM   #8017
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Whlst we have seen spikey Klopp in the past, both in his early days with us and also during his time with Dortmund, I do think the fact we are all living very different lives at present has to take a toll on people and that is shown outwardly.

His personal life will have been impacted upon for almost a year now (just like most of the rest of us) and the one area of his life where things were almost flawless for the past two years, the results on the pitch, is now going through a rough patch so hardly surprising things are not all puppies and kittens.

I also agree with those that are saying the "article" is trying to make an awful lot more out of what Klopp said than waht is actually there and there is a whole heap of reading between the lines going on and on other sites lots of talk about how people need to mobilize against the owners.

The main reason our rough patch seems so bad to us is down to the high we have come down from to reach that rough patch. Other teams have similar veins of form but because they generally have not been sweeping all before them for 24 months prior to that it tends not to stand out.

Where we are right now is at the level more or less of all the other big teams in the league, it feels like a disaster but we are still very much in a position where a few wins in a row suddenly would have the media talking about title challenges again.
this is exactly why I thought we would go for a CB as we aren't that far off and we are still in the champs league stages. It just seems like a massive and unnecessary risk to me, especially with so much at stake and so much potential revenue at stake.

We'll see as the season goes on, we aren't going to play as bad as this for the entire season. We are relying on Matip and Fab to not get injured for the rest of the season. The champs league stages, domestic cups etc will bring on a fixture pile up so having a strong squad to chip in is absolutely vital especially in the second half of the season. We already know the drop off in quality in our 2nd string is huge.

I don't think I am being unreasonable in suggesting that it is a risk not strengthening in this window.

EDIT: Agree with what you are saying about Klopp too, makes sense.
Old 23-01-21, 03:14 PM   #8018
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I can't read the Mirror on a mobile, there's so much clickbait
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-21, 03:19 PM   #8019
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
don't be a condescending mate.

FSG are worth billions, they could easily swing a signing but they are about business of football and I get why they don't want to spend money. Klopp admitted he wanted a CB, they've looked at options and we would be better off with another CB but he obviously got told no. Would he publicly say "I'm pissed off I didn't get the money for a vital signing & this could be the defining moment in our season? No, he is not a fucking idiot who would publicly criticize the owners or players for that matter, it's not his style he has a bit of class. What he says behind closed doors is a different story.

Football is going nowhere and all prem clubs will be back to earning big money in the next 12 months. Getting in a CB is short term pain for long term gain imo. It could be the difference between winning the league and not winning the league, between winning the champs league and not winning the champs league, it could be the difference between no champs league money vs shit loads of champs league revenue, it could be the difference between keeping top players and losing top players, it could be the difference between playing in top tier comps vs losing top our top players as they don't want to play in the Europa league on a Thursday night against Ludogrets, it could be the difference between getting a top tier signing vs getting refused by a top tier signing.

Simply put, it is a risk and imo an unnecessary one.
Simply put, billionaires didn't get where they are by being foolish with their money
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-21, 06:00 PM   #8020
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
this is exactly why I thought we would go for a CB as we aren't that far off and we are still in the champs league stages. It just seems like a massive and unnecessary risk to me, especially with so much at stake and so much potential revenue at stake.

We'll see as the season goes on, we aren't going to play as bad as this for the entire season. We are relying on Matip and Fab to not get injured for the rest of the season. The champs league stages, domestic cups etc will bring on a fixture pile up so having a strong squad to chip in is absolutely vital especially in the second half of the season. We already know the drop off in quality in our 2nd string is huge.

I don't think I am being unreasonable in suggesting that it is a risk not strengthening in this window.

EDIT: Agree with what you are saying about Klopp too, makes sense.

And I would agree that it is not an unreasonable thing to suggest, however we saw in the summer that we only got Thiago and Jota through staged payment deals, and we our income down to a massive degree over the past almost 12 months I would suggest that the only way we could get in a prime target at present would be through doing a similar stagger payment deal which a selling team may not wish to do.

We don't have oil or Russian money backing us so we have to operate on more or less a spend as you make type way, and the last 12 months what we made is less than we usually would have. Even something like cashing in on winning the title has been taken away from us thanks to covid. Less fans less case, but no fans and that means a hell of a lot less income over the course of a season. And the more fans have to view the game from a distance nd watch games on tv that are being played in passionless stadia, the more, and this is just my own opinion, the regular long distance fan feels a disconnect with the team/sport and the less inclined she or he will be to go out and spend on club merch.

So do not think it is as simple as just going out and buying player X or Y.

Also seen it said in a few places that Klopp is not a big fan of getting in players on loans so if there was any truth in that, then maybe that is why we do not seem interested in what looks a no brainer short term fix in Eder Militao.

Personally Militao ticks a lot of boxes for me for a short term fix. Fast, strong, decent in the air, and a good passer of the ball. He is young, younger than our Philips, but a lot more experienced than either of Philips or Williams and whilst there probably would be some bedding in mistakes I would see him as being at a level far above the two I named, plus with Alisson and Fab at the back he would have fellow countrymen there to help with language issues etc.

But If Klopp is not looking for a loan player, or if we cannot buy without a staggered payment deal, then it is really hard to see how we could realistically bring in someone of quality and by quality I do not mean a VVD level player, just someone who is a lot better than Philips and/or Williams and maybe close to a Matip or Gomez level.
Old 23-01-21, 06:05 PM   #8021
rodo
Shankly

lad has just sent me a message saying klopps mum has died so maybe that`s why he`s not looked himself lately could be bollocks as usual like
Old 23-01-21, 06:35 PM   #8022
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
lad has just sent me a message saying klopps mum has died so maybe that`s why he`s not looked himself lately could be bollocks as usual like

Hopefully it is a load of bollocks and she is well.
Old 23-01-21, 06:38 PM   #8023
rodo
Shankly

Quote:
Hopefully it is a load of bollocks and she is well.
Old 23-01-21, 11:59 PM   #8024
BigChief
Paisley

God I hope that's not true, for anyone's mum or loved one.
Old 24-01-21, 07:52 PM   #8025
Corndog
Fagan

I think with the benefit of hindsight, spending 20mil on a CM instead of a CB was a mistake.

Not saying Thiago wasn't worth getting just that the club got the prioritisation wrong.

It wouldn't have been easy to replace Lovren for 20mil because of corona, not sure how many decent CBs would have wanted to come and be 4th place in the pecking order but the team is paying for it now.

Williams is unfortunately too slow to play at this level.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-21, 09:07 PM   #8026
danperkins

Quote:
And I would agree that it is not an unreasonable thing to suggest, however we saw in the summer that we only got Thiago and Jota through staged payment deals, and we our income down to a massive degree over the past almost 12 months I would suggest that the only way we could get in a prime target at present would be through doing a similar stagger payment deal which a selling team may not wish to do.

We don't have oil or Russian money backing us so we have to operate on more or less a spend as you make type way, and the last 12 months what we made is less than we usually would have. Even something like cashing in on winning the title has been taken away from us thanks to covid. Less fans less case, but no fans and that means a hell of a lot less income over the course of a season. And the more fans have to view the game from a distance nd watch games on tv that are being played in passionless stadia, the more, and this is just my own opinion, the regular long distance fan feels a disconnect with the team/sport and the less inclined she or he will be to go out and spend on club merch.

So do not think it is as simple as just going out and buying player X or Y.

Also seen it said in a few places that Klopp is not a big fan of getting in players on loans so if there was any truth in that, then maybe that is why we do not seem interested in what looks a no brainer short term fix in Eder Militao.

Personally Militao ticks a lot of boxes for me for a short term fix. Fast, strong, decent in the air, and a good passer of the ball. He is young, younger than our Philips, but a lot more experienced than either of Philips or Williams and whilst there probably would be some bedding in mistakes I would see him as being at a level far above the two I named, plus with Alisson and Fab at the back he would have fellow countrymen there to help with language issues etc.

But If Klopp is not looking for a loan player, or if we cannot buy without a staggered payment deal, then it is really hard to see how we could realistically bring in someone of quality and by quality I do not mean a VVD level player, just someone who is a lot better than Philips and/or Williams and maybe close to a Matip or Gomez level.
Sorry mate only seen this now. This is the way I see it. During the summer not replacing Lovren was a calculated risk, it backfired but fair enough. Not bolstering the CB positions in this window imo is utterly bizarre.
Old 24-01-21, 09:15 PM   #8027
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Sorry mate only seen this now. This is the way I see it. During the summer not replacing Lovren was a calculated risk, it backfired but fair enough. Not bolstering the CB positions in this window imo is utterly bizarre.

Rhys is in no way cut out for this level. He did well in one or two games but long term we're finding out Andre Wisdom would be a better option.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-21, 09:16 PM   #8028
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

Klopp must think Nat Philips is dogshite

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-21, 09:19 PM   #8029
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Ed View Post
Klopp must think Nat Philips is dogshite

I think he knows PHILLIPS limitations. It’s depressing to say but Williams is better on the ball than Phillips, they are both very slow.

Wonder how far away Koumetio is? Everyone else has had a go.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-21, 09:21 PM   #8030
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

Koumetio had the big ups and then when he had his chance was piss poor. He is too young and not ready yet either

Old 24-01-21, 09:23 PM   #8031
Venton
Paisley

You can't bring kids into a struggling team where the player next to them is out out of position and expect them to flourish. Just the way it is. We don't have much other option though so we're just going to have to suck it up for a while.
Old 24-01-21, 09:24 PM   #8032
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Ed View Post
Koumetio had the big ups and then when he had his chance was piss poor. He is too young and not ready yet either

I don’t remember him playing? Was it League cup?

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 24-01-21, 09:26 PM   #8033
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venton View Post
You can't bring kids into a struggling team where the player next to them is out out of position and expect them to flourish. Just the way it is. We don't have much other option though so we're just going to have to suck it up for a while.
Hard to believe the premier league champions and recent champions league winners are in such a position.
Old 24-01-21, 09:35 PM   #8034
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

We have had some insane CB pairings this season.

It’s not as if the kids who have come in have been absolute trail blazers that we have all been desperate to see. I’d never heard of Rhys Williams until he played in the early rounds of the Caraboa.

Then playing against Utd with Hendo and Fab at CB. If someone had told us this would happen pre season we would not have believed it.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 24-01-21, 09:41 PM   #8035
Pepe79
Shankly

Rhys Williams was playing in the National League North last season.

And of it weren’t for our injury situation, he’d be playing there again or at best League 2 this season.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-21, 09:55 PM   #8036
S-RED
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Played in Denmark champs league game
S-RED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-21, 09:56 PM   #8037
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
He came on for Fabinho against Mityland in the CL

Old 24-01-21, 09:59 PM   #8038
Venton
Paisley

Quote:
Hard to believe the premier league champions and recent champions league winners are in such a position.
It's freakish really. You can see what Klopp was trying to do - change up the attack by introducing Jota, beef up the midfield by bringing in a quality playmaker, change the style a bit but not so much as you're changing everything at once. Then bang, the whole defence is out, including your keeper for a while. You lose the striker who is there to freshen up your front line and who was scoring for fun. And your playmaker gets knackered. Next thing you're playing one of your best midfielders in the centre of defence next to a three year old. It's not surprising our finely honed system is a bit knackered at the moment.

Re buying another centre back, I can see what FSG are thinking. Anyone good enough right now would cost a mint and their medium view must be that revenues will be right off. I don't think crowds will be back for next season, never mind this one. You have to be careful.
Old 24-01-21, 10:07 PM   #8039
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

It's no wonder we are struggling. The first thing you as a team is to have a solid base. Everything springs from there. Not only are we chopping and changing like crazy. The quality of the replacements are really poor at times. A perfect storm for the mediocrity we see now.

Old 25-01-21, 12:11 AM   #8040
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:

I am of the same thinking as you in that we both agree that a CB (or two) are badly needed now rather than in the summer.

However I don't think it is as simple as just going out and getting someone. Finances are all over the place and getting in a CB, buying not loaning, that is of the standard we need and that has the qualities that Klopp seems to value in a CB would be either very expensive or be part of a very short list of names that may be at clubs that are unwilling to sell to us in January.

The loan option however seems, to me anyway, to be a bit of a no brainer as it gives us the chance of getting in a short term fix that is of higher calibre than either Wiliams or Philips with less outlay than a purchase and the short term nature means we are not stuck with a player long term if he does not work out. The lack of a loan move I suspect may be down to Klopp more than the owners as it has long been rumoured that he prefers to bring in a player he can work with long term over a player that will only be making up the numbers for five or six months. As said earlier in the thread, Militao on a loan with an option to buy really seems a very obvious short term fix that would have the potential to be a long term boon.

I also have a feeling that another reason, on top of any financial reasons, that we may not be moving for a CB is that one (or two) of the CBs that Klopp really wants currently play at Leipzig ( Mukiele, Konate and Upamecano) and that getting one from there in January would be very difficult given they play us in the CL next and they are second in their own league.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC