It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 12-05-13, 11:40 PM   #241
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Wow
Old 12-05-13, 11:41 PM   #242
RichC
Meh

Sergio on for 5
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-13, 11:41 PM   #243
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?

Tiger rips drive down middle at 18.

Garcia hits middle of green with 5th...why didn't he fucking do that with his first instead of taking it on
Old 12-05-13, 11:43 PM   #244
RichC
Meh

No need for Sergio to have done that, real shame as would have liked to see him win this
Old 12-05-13, 11:44 PM   #245
PTP

Hope lingmerth holes
Old 12-05-13, 11:45 PM   #246
RichC
Meh

got a good chance at it
Old 12-05-13, 11:46 PM   #247
RichC
Meh

Pushed it
Old 12-05-13, 11:46 PM   #248
PTP

Pushed his putt. Needs to birdie last
Old 12-05-13, 11:47 PM   #249
RichC
Meh

Fancy Tiger will try and take this pin on to kill this off
Old 12-05-13, 11:48 PM   #250
RichC
Meh

Cracking approach from Tiger
Old 12-05-13, 11:52 PM   #251
RichC
Meh

Sergio in the water again
Old 12-05-13, 11:52 PM   #252
PTP

Fucking hell Sergio...
Old 12-05-13, 11:55 PM   #253
RichC
Meh

Played brilliantly for 70 holes and to finish like this

Hopefully his bad luck is done in this tournament and wins the next major
Old 12-05-13, 11:56 PM   #254
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Dude's got demons
Old 12-05-13, 11:58 PM   #255
PTP

Aye, almost like he's got too much emotion, hot head, tries to go for everything...
Old 13-05-13, 12:00 AM   #256
PTP

Lingmerth needs to hole a ridiculous putt too tie

Garcia leaves himself a holeable putt for a bogey
Old 13-05-13, 12:03 AM   #257
Liverpool
Paisley

dont leave it short must have been in his mind
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-13, 12:06 AM   #258
RichC
Meh

Tiger just has that mental strength that others don't seem to have, fair play to him
Old 13-05-13, 02:33 PM   #259
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Paddy Power @paddypower
STAT: Tiger Woods has won 52 of the last 56 tournaments in which he has had at least a share of the lead after 54 holes #winning
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-13, 02:35 PM   #260
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Staggering record. I'm not sure there's ever been a sportsman with greater mental strength.
Old 13-05-13, 02:41 PM   #261
Arn
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Staggering record. I'm not sure there's ever been a sportsman with greater mental strength.
Federer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Roger_Federer
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-13, 02:43 PM   #262
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn View Post
Very much disagree. I love Federer but Nadal has always had his number, and in big games Federer has wilted when it really matters against Nadal, almost every time. When Woods puts himself in a position to win, he wins.
Old 13-05-13, 02:46 PM   #263
RichC
Meh

Fed whilst an amazing tennis player has never been able to deal with Nadal, Woods doesn't have the same issue & there isn't a player out there that gets to him, everyone that he's come up against so far in his career he's had the measure of.
Old 13-05-13, 02:52 PM   #264
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcasemore View Post

Fed whilst an amazing tennis player has never been able to deal with Nadal, Woods doesn't have the same issue & there isn't a player out there that gets to him, everyone that he's come up against so far in his career he's had the measure of.

He's had the measure of every opponent and every golf course. He's a machine.
Old 13-05-13, 03:13 PM   #265
Arn
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Very much disagree. I love Federer but Nadal has always had his number, and in big games Federer has wilted when it really matters against Nadal, almost every time. When Woods puts himself in a position to win, he wins.
Federer reached an all-time record 18 finals out of 19 Grand Slam tournaments (2005 Wimbledon – 2010 Australian Open, excluding the 2008 Australian Open) and won twelve of these.

They also changed the grass at Wimbledon to suit a player like Nadal and the main reason was probably that Federer simply was the best, no one could challenge him.

They changed the pace at the US open to a slower pace.

They changed the balls to slower pace balls.

Federer was simply so good that they had to do something so the other players had a chance.

Nadal would IMO not have a chance against Federer if they used the same type of balls and the same grass at Wimbledon as they had six seven years ago.

Would Nadal win against him at the US open if they had the same hardcourt paint and faster paced ball as they had six seven years ago? Probably not.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-13, 03:58 PM   #266
RichC
Meh

They've been slowing the pace of the game for a long time Arn not just in the Fed era, Fed is an amazing player and dominated for a period a la Sampras BUT he's also had a player in where another competitor i.e. Nadal who has had his number. It's different sports of course and difficult to compare but so far Woods has been mentally stronger than every player he's come up against as a credible challenger be it Singh, Mickleson or so far Rory.
Old 14-05-13, 09:18 AM   #267
Jas
Fagan

Tiger 'cheating again'.....
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-13, 09:28 AM   #268
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcasemore View Post
They've been slowing the pace of the game for a long time Arn not just in the Fed era, Fed is an amazing player and dominated for a period a la Sampras BUT he's also had a player in where another competitor i.e. Nadal who has had his number. It's different sports of course and difficult to compare but so far Woods has been mentally stronger than every player he's come up against as a credible challenger be it Singh, Mickleson or so far Rory.

We can eulogise about Fed all we like - he is a genius - but Woods is untouchable in the mental strength stakes.
Old 14-05-13, 09:52 AM   #269
Pedenj
Benitez

Tiger won't - and can't get punished as far as I understand the rules.

He consulted his caddy and his playing partner and if they decided that was the place to drop due to where the ball crossed the line of the hazard it is taken as fact by the PGA as they trust the judgement of the players to make an honest decision
Pedenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-13, 12:47 PM   #270
Jas
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedenj View Post
Tiger won't - and can't get punished as far as I understand the rules.

He consulted his caddy and his playing partner and if they decided that was the place to drop due to where the ball crossed the line of the hazard it is taken as fact by the PGA as they trust the judgement of the players to make an honest decision
I think what you say is correct, but when he discussed it with his playing partner they must have been talking about the line Tiger wanted to hit the shot, where he drops it in no way reflects the line the ball actually took!!
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-13, 08:09 PM   #271
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Yep. That was a bit Cheaty McCheatenburg.
Old 21-05-13, 10:35 AM   #272
Vermilion
Shooterista

USGA expected to outlaw anchored putting.

By TEDDY GREENSTEIN | Chicago Tribune Published May 21, 2013

CHICAGO - Rocco Mediate, Jeff Sluman and Chip Beck all expect decision day to become doomsday.

The USGA on Tuesday morning will announce its final decision on whether to ban anchored putting, and all indications are the ruling will draw jeers from the likes of recent major winners Adam Scott and Keegan Bradley - plus Mediate, Sluman and Beck.

Speaking Monday at media day for the Encompass Championship, the June 21-23 Champions Tour event at North Shore Country Club that will bring senior golf back to the Chicago area, Sluman said: "I've tried it every way - long, belly and cross-handed - and I can miss 'em all. You still have to read it right, start it right and have the right speed. But I do think they will ban it, unfortunately."

Sluman favors the belly putter, while Mediate has gone conventional since 2009. But he was the first player to win a PGA Tour event with a long putter at the 1991 Doral-Ryder Open.

"I went to it because of my back, and it helped me," he said, "but I certainly didn't make more putts. As long as you have to move it back and through and you need the ball to go where you're looking, it ain't easier.

"It looks funny and it's obviously not traditional, but what is now? The ball is faster than ever, the courses are 97,000 yards long and everybody is hitting driver and wedge (to the greens). If I was betting, I'd say they're going to dump the whole thing. ... They should have made it illegal in '91 if they were going to do it."

Not all players are opposed to a ban. World No. 1 Tiger Woods has been an outspoken proponent of outlawing anchoring.

"I hope they go with the ban," Woods reiterated at a news conference Monday. "And as far as the PGA Tour, I hope they do it as soon as possible. I've always felt that you should have to ... control your nerves and swing all 14 clubs, not just 13."

A USGA ban wouldn't go into effect until Jan. 1, 2016.

The PGA Tour and PGA of America have come out against a ban, at least for now. But USGA Executive Director Mike Davis said in November that anchoring the club against one's body "alters the nature of the challenge ... the essence of playing has been to grip the club with the hands and swing it freely at the ball."

Said Sluman: "Statistically it's not an advantage, and it can't be an advantage because anyone can do it."

For now, anyway

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2013/05/2...#storylink=cpy
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-13, 10:49 AM   #273
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...e-8624566.html

Quote:
Sergio Garcia tells Tiger Woods: You don’t scare me

So Tiger Woods doesn’t want to make friends. That’s just fine with Sergio Garcia, who underscored the enmity between them at Wentworth after Woods said in America that he was not interested in any reconciliation.

He called me a whiner,” Garcia said. “That’s probably right. It’s also probably the first thing he’s told you guys that’s true in 15 years. I know what he is like. You guys are finding out.”

Woods was asked at an AT&T National Championship press conference if he would call Garcia to clear the air after their spat at the Players Championship at Sawgrass a fortnight ago. Woods wasted few words on his reply. “No,” he said.

Garcia, speaking at an event hosted by his sponsors TaylorMade and Adidas ahead of this week’s BMW PGA Championship, was asked if he would phone Woods. “First of all I don’t have his number and, secondly, I did nothing wrong and don’t have anything to say to him. And he wouldn’t pick up the phone anyway.”

The chemistry between the pair has never been great since the teenage Garcia emerged as a box office threat to Woods 14 years ago at the US PGA, bending a shot around a tree at Medinah and bounding up the fairway after it.

Then there was the “smashing of Tweetie Pie” text after Woods brushed aside the challenge of a yellow- shirted Garcia at Hoylake seven years ago. At Sawgrass, Garcia accused Woods of gamesmanship by drawing his club from the bag as he was about to play on the second hole of their third round. Garcia admitted he did not enjoy Woods’ company on or off the course and said “he is not the most popular guy on tour”.

Garcia is back among his own at the headquarters of the European Tour at a flagship event that features a full complement of Ryder Cup players. During a mock Question of Sport quiz to set the promotional ball rolling Garcia was given a huge ovation as he led his team on to the stage and there was no sign that he is losing any sleep over the Woods contretemps.

“He doesn’t make a difference to my life and I know I don’t make a difference to his life. This is not just one thing. This has been going on for a long time.

“The problem is I’m one of the guys that has to say something. A lot of people think about it but don’t want to say anything. He can and will beat me a lot of times but he is not going to step on me. I’m not afraid of him.”
Old 21-05-13, 11:02 AM   #274
RichC
Meh

Seems he's got under Sergio's skin.
Old 21-05-13, 11:05 AM   #275
Pedenj
Benitez

Quote:
He can and will beat me a lot of times
I think that's the only bit of that statement that really matters. Don't think Woods is overly concerned about being everyones friend on the Golf course - he is concerned with winning though.
Old 21-05-13, 12:37 PM   #276
Sarb
Doomed, we're all doomed!

Tiger Woods probably got fed up waiting for Garcia. Didn't Garcia get some stick a while back for how many times he'd adjust his grip whilst down to take a shot. Did it something stupid like 30 times.
Sarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-13, 01:10 PM   #277
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Anchored putters banned. Comes into force from 2016.
Old 22-05-13, 05:02 AM   #278
washDCRed
Souness

If you're going to say something that could be considered racist, at least be original:

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9...rk-tiger-woods

I think it's time Sergio stops talking about Tiger.
washDCRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-13, 07:47 AM   #279
Pedenj
Benitez

I very much doubt he was being racist, but it's just very clumsy.

Sergio is constantly going on to everyone how he doesn't care about Woods - just stop talking about the bloke and people may actually believe you
Old 22-05-13, 08:09 AM   #280
RichC
Meh

est1892 > General > General Sports